SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

redshaw

I dont think Italy is too concerned whether the NY times can update its graphic or not. Theyve moved away from constant speculative updates and have been doing less frequent but properly researched reports for the last month or two.
It's not about NY Times but giving out simple deaths records. So you're saying they're not doing this now?

Meanwhile. Brazil removes coronavirus data
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-52952686

16.000 for April.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
It still seems to be difficult to get a test in the UK - don't know if this is other people's experience, but my nephew had a high temp, felt very unwell and was coughing on Thursday. He's able to self-isolate properly in the house as they're fortunate enough to have an en-suite bedroom, so he did that and immediately requested a test. Friday he got a text that it was being couriered to him that day (that was at 4am), but it didn't arrive. Now it's Sunday and he still hasn't received it.

His son is desperate to go back to school for the last 2 weeks of year 6, they're all communicating with walkie-talkies, he can't leave the bedroom and his wife can't leave the house. They live in a big city, not an isolated area.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I hear you. Do these people who are so concerned about being tracked by Bill Gates's fictional microchip injections not stop for a moment and realise that they have already willingly allowed Facebook/Twitter/Google access to every piece of information about themselves so that they have a platform to post these conspiracy theories? Probably from a Microsoft OS in many cases?
Most people here are like that. Vast majority of comments under any covid related news is filled with ‘fake pandemic’, ‘Bill Gates is a psychopath who wants to depopulate Earth with microchips’ and ‘turn off your TV, turn on your brain’. Hilariously (and worryingly) it took them three days following death of George Floyd to ‘realized he did not really exist and both Chauvin and himself were actors (as confirmed by Floyd’s neighbors who said there was no such person).

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
It’s per-capita I think. Barrow is the worst hit place in the UK in that regard.
The Barrow numbers could be a little misleading as they started testing much earlier and carried out more tests than elsewhere in the early days of the virus.
The shipyard which has been blamed did send workers home later than they should have but since then only essential staff have been going in as it is a nuclear site.
It doesn't feel like we have big numbers when out and about tbh although a pathetic rally with that wanker Tommy Robinson involving 100's of people didn't help.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The Barrow numbers could be a little misleading as they started testing much earlier and carried out more tests than elsewhere in the early days of the virus.
The shipyard which has been blamed did send workers home later than they should have but since then only essential staff have been going in as it is a nuclear site.
It doesn't feel like we have big numbers when out and about tbh although a pathetic rally with that wanker Tommy Robinson involving 100's of people didn't help.
Agree about the testing. I personally don't know anyone who has caught it and where I live people have been pretty sensible. Not sure I am too chuffed about being called the armpit of the Lake District. I can criticise Barrow not keen on others doing it. Saying it is poor. It looks that way because the people running the town have let that happen. Like a lot of places they have let the town centre go to pot. There could be so much potential here and they haven't utilised it. Don't get me started on Tommy Robinson.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
Agree about the testing. I personally don't know anyone who has caught it and where I live people have been pretty sensible. Not sure I am too chuffed about being called the armpit of the Lake District. I can criticise Barrow not keen on others doing it. Saying it is poor. It looks that way because the people running the town have let that happen. Like a lot of places they have let the town centre go to pot. There could be so much potential here and they haven't utilised it. Don't get me started on Tommy Robinson.
It's like any other northern town isn't it, there are problems but no more than anywhere else. I totally ignored the armpit slur, the poster must live in an affluent, like minded area.

DomesticTadpole

It's like any other northern town isn't it, there are problems but no more than anywhere else. I totally ignored the armpit slur, the poster must live in an affluent, like minded area.
Yeah. The Tories hate the north. I agree as well that we are like a lot of other towns. Worse than some, but a lot better than others.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
Yeah. The Tories hate the north. I agree as well that we are like a lot of other towns. Worse than some, but a lot better than others.
The thing is and I don't want to derail the thread but Barrow wasn't built to pretty, it was built to work, it was built to manufacture. The change from a manufacturing based economy to a finance one destroyed town after town in the North. Ironically, last time there was a tory mp in Barrow, 13,000 lost their jobs in the yard, now we have another and I've heard there is going to be another round of redundancies.

DomesticTadpole

The thing is and I don't want to derail the thread but Barrow wasn't built to pretty, it was built to work, it was built to manufacture. The change from a manufacturing based economy to a finance one destroyed town after town in the North. Ironically, last time there was a tory mp in Barrow, 13,000 lost their jobs in the yard, now we have another and I've heard there is going to be another round of redundancies.
I hope not.

decorativeed

Most people here are like that. Vast majority of comments under any covid related news is filled with ‘fake pandemic’, ‘Bill Gates is a psychopath who wants to depopulate Earth with microchips’ and ‘turn off your TV, turn on your brain’. Hilariously (and worryingly) it took them three days following death of George Floyd to ‘realized he did not really exist and both Chauvin and himself were actors (as confirmed by Floyd’s neighbors who said there was no such person).
Christ. There's a real idiocy pandemic going on too. Did they never ask themselves if a person is fake, how can he have neighbours?

Sarni

Christ. There's a real idiocy pandemic going on too. Did they never ask themselves if a person is fake, how can he have neighbours?
They are saying people in the area he was supposed to live in were interviewed and all said they did not recognize him which proves he didn’t exist. It was an actor.

Classical Mechanic

Actually I’m from Oldham and have lived in Rochdale so I’m acutely aware of the struggles of post industrial northern towns that most people perceive as shitholes. I spend a lot of time in the Lake District too. Most of the Lakes is a national park and pretty idyllic but there are a number of coastal post industrial towns that feel more like places like Oldham and Rochdale than what is more commonly associated with Cumbria.

I’m very fond of where I come from too.

It's not about NY Times but giving out simple deaths records. So you're saying they're not doing this now?

Meanwhile. Brazil removes coronavirus data
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-52952686
They've gone back to reporting overall deaths with the same regularity as normal - monthly and annually. They were publishing it more frequently for a while but like i say, they're not too concerned if newspapers and online counters can't get their daily running updates. There's no hiding of numbers involved.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
Actually I’m from Oldham and have lived in Rochdale so I’m acutely aware of the struggles of post industrial northern towns that most people perceive as shitholes. I spend a lot of time in the Lake District too. Most of the Lakes is a national park and pretty idyllic but there are a number of coastal post industrial towns that feel more like places like Oldham and Rochdale than what is more commonly associated with Cumbria.

I’m very fond of where I come from too.
Aye, I get what you mean mate. All the 3 towns were built to work not to look pretty and we in Barrow are very lucky to have places like Coniston, Bowness and Hawkshead within a half hours drive.
Back to Covid, I do think that early and widespread testing has somewhat skewed the figures here, the local health Trust were very quick to put testing procedures in place.

djembatheking

What are the general thoughts about the recent relaxing of lock down measures coinciding with mass gatherings of protesting people , are these the perfect ingredients for a second wave or are we going to be ok ? What are the thoughts of our more clued up posters?

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
What are we supposed to think if there isn't a massive spike in cases two weeks after these protests and people in general taking the piss with lockdown rules post-Cunmmings?

Classical Mechanic

Aye, I get what you mean mate. All the 3 towns were built to work not to look pretty and we in Barrow are very lucky to have places like Coniston, Bowness and Hawkshead within a half hours drive.
Back to Covid, I do think that early and widespread testing has somewhat skewed the figures here, the local health Trust were very quick to put testing procedures in place.
It was poor terminology on my part admittedly.

decorativeed

What are we supposed to think if there isn't a massive spike in cases two weeks after these protests and people in general taking the piss with lockdown rules post-Cunmmings?
If there's no noticeable uptick a few weeks from now, it's got to be encouraging news. Protests, bank holidays, Eid, schools reopening will all have had some effect by then.

lynchie

What are the general thoughts about the recent relaxing of lock down measures coinciding with mass gatherings of protesting people , are these the perfect ingredients for a second wave or are we going to be ok ? What are the thoughts of our more clued up posters?
I'd be pleasantly surprised if there isn't an uptick in cases. We may get away without a massive spike in deaths because the protesters are generally fairly young, although secondary infections may be a problem now that they can go home and have a garden party with their nan.

Sarni

We’ve had people protest, be outside all day, get into crowded bars and restaurants and travel on crowded buses for 4 weeks. No increase in daily cases. There’s a theory that because of tuberculosis shots almost all of us got in our lives we have superior immunity to it but this hasn’t been proven. There has to be an explanation though as it makes no sense.

djembatheking

We’ve had people protest, be outside all day, get into crowded bars and restaurants and travel on crowded buses for 4 weeks. No increase in daily cases. There’s a theory that because of tuberculosis shots almost all of us got in our lives we have superior immunity to it but this hasn’t been proven. There has to be an explanation though as it makes no sense.
I hope so , it doesn`t make any sense to me either.

Sparky Rhiwabon

There isn’t going to be an uptick or a second wave, the protests will make no difference, the virus is on its way out.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Thanks for confirming this, as you are a virologist I trust your opinion
I’m not, it’s just common sense. As Sarni said above, there have been crowds on beaches, public transport and now protests and yet the figures keep going steadily down. The number of infected people walking around is just too low for the virus to sustain itself now, and the cases are mainly concentrated in places like care homes and hospitals. I think the biggest challenge for the Government now is to encourage scared people to come out of their homes and get back to normality. Hopefully people seeing these mass protests and then the figures continuing to fall will finally convince the “stay at home heroes”

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I’m not, it’s just common sense. As Sarni said above, there have been crowds on beaches, public transport and now protests and yet the figures keep going steadily down. The number of infected people walking around is just too low for the virus to sustain itself now, and the cases are mainly concentrated in places like care homes and hospitals. I think the biggest challenge for the Government now is to encourage scared people to come out of their homes and get back to normality. Hopefully people seeing these mass protests and then the figures continuing to fall will finally convince the “stay at home heroes”
I don't see how people can speak in absolutes about a novel virus. I personally think the virus is fading but that's just an opinion based on trends I've observed. People made a lot of assumptions about the virus and some were wrong and some were right. What I'm saying is, we need more evidence to say the virus is dying.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I don't see how people can speak in absolutes about a novel virus. I personally think the virus is fading but that's just an opinion based on trends I've observed. People made a lot of assumptions about the virus and some were wrong and some were right. What I'm saying is, we need more evidence to say the virus is dying.
Like you, I’m just following the trends.

redshaw

About 210 lower than last week from Mon-Sun

Might be lowest day since 23rd of March

buchansleftleg

If that's the case then we won the coin toss this time...but it's not a good model for government and next time we might not be lucky and will lay even more deaths at the foot of this incompetent bunch.

I'm glad today's figure is low...but the ambulances have been busy again today so it may not stay low for long.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I’m in the camp that thinks we’ll get a second wave. I just don’t buy the idea that the virus has miraculously lost all its strength. And I can’t stop thinking about the Spanish flu graph, which was a complete flatline after the first wave, for several months. I don’t know how anyone can look at that graph and feel reassured by a few weeks without a surge in cases.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
19 states in the US saw increases last week, some as high as 35%. Most of them red states that insisted on opening up early.

It‘s way too early to say it’s over when even warm-weather places like Iran and the South in the US are seeing jumps. Much of the decline could just be people changing their habits. If you insist on opening up, then fine. But still encourage social distancing and strict hygiene, and don’t try to claim we’re past it.

Last edited: