SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Revan

Assumptionman

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
British exceptionalism and the Tory Covid-19 virus. Utterly infuriating.

How can these numbers compare so poorly to other countries? And when we had so much forewarning. The Wild West of America doesn't have these numbers.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
And there's such an ingrained tradition of civility between political rivals, and in the whole 'show' business of top-line English politics, that there's precious little public condemnation or outrage from the government's opponents. Such condemnation and outrage is very necessary.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Most Australian states are now in effect SARS-CoV-2 free. Victoria had the only 2 new infections from community transmission yesterday. I connected to a known cluster and 1 under investigation. We had a few cases in people still in quarantine after returning from overseas but that is to be expected and it won't be allowed to escape into the community.

Stat nerds annoy me, but you wouldn't have someone come in the United forum for example, with stats showing that the average number of passes McTominay plays per game is going up, and then use it to argue that the number of passes McTominay plays per game "seems to be going down"

Well actually you probably would get someone doing that, bit it'd be because they're an idiot.
Somebody's never been in the Chris Smalling thread.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Watching a live stream of Las Vegas reaping downtown. No temperature checking and hardly anyone wearing masks.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
No they don't.

They''re going down very very slowly as they have been for a number of weeks now. They're numbers. Pretty much the hardest thing on earth to missinterpret.
Numbers are incredibly easy to misinterpret. That is why we developed statistics. And of course they can also be misinterpreted. So we also need experts to interpret them.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Question for the experts:
One of my friends works as a nurse. She has confirmed she has the antibodies after a positive diagnosis roughly three weeks ago. She is now visiting elderly relatives and others because she says she is immune. Does this mean she also can’t pass the disease on?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
One of my friends works as a nurse. She has confirmed she has the antibodies after a positive diagnosis roughly three weeks ago. She is now visiting elderly relatives and others because she says she is immune. Does this mean she also can’t pass the disease on?
She almost certainly isn’t shedding live virus when she talks/breathes but she’d want to be scrupulous about washing her hands and changing clothes so she doesn’t carry it to an elderly relative from someone else at the hospital.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I mean.....there's a good possibility that she isn't infectious but she is playing a very dangerous game. We don't know yet what immunity antibodies confer, if any, for Covid. In fact, I've heard of a few hospitals which have started doing antibody tests on patients but making them sign a disclaimer saying a lack of antibodies does not mean they haven't had Covid and a presence does not necessarily suggest immunity.

If I was her, I wouldn't be doing anything different from the general guidelines for the country tbh.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Ah. But Boris Johnson is proud of the government actions to combat the Corona virus.
Not just the comparison with the EU, but the UK has over 10% of global deaths. Bet he is proud of that as well.

Quite frankly I am both appalled and embarrassed at what has happened in the UK. And so should we all.

decorativeed

I'm fairly sure the consensus is still out on this one. You'd have hoped and believed a nurse would know better.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I bet that has MPs shit scared and ready to lynch that slimy cnut Mogg if Sharma turns out to be Covid positive
But why was he even there in the HoC in the first place.
Self isolate means self isolate to everyone.
I am sure that he will come up with another pack of lies and Boris will back him....

Rajma

Singapore is starting green lane travel with China soon. Hopefully we'll reach agreements with Aus and Nz soon.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...-covid-19-swab-tests-business-travel-12798518
In Lithuania, I think we're jumping the gun a bit with abolishing a mandatory two week long self-isolation from most EU countries (excl. UK, Sweden, and few others). Inside the country we pretty much managed to get rid of it due to early strict measures but opening up to the rest of the world so decisively doesn't seem very wise given we have only a handful of cases.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Antibodies don't prove immunity although it is likely. She is also unlikely to still be infectious but it isn't totally impossible.

Lj82

In Lithuania, I think we're jumping the gun a bit with abolishing a mandatory two week long self-isolation from most EU countries (excl. UK, Sweden, and few others). Inside the country we pretty much managed to get rid of it due to early strict measures but opening up to the rest of the world so decisively doesn't seem very wise given we have only a handful of cases.
Is there requirements for mandatory testing?

redshaw

Spain having 43k excess deaths and removing 2k recently is a bit dodgy. Seems more about presenting for tourism.

Virgil

Ah. But Boris Johnson is proud of the government actions to combat the Corona virus.
Not just the comparison with the EU, but the UK has over 10% of global deaths. Bet he is proud of that as well.

Quite frankly I am both appalled and embarrassed at what has happened in the UK. And so should we all.
But why are our numbers not coming down faster. No matter how much blame is heaped on the government it does not seem as if the Spanish, Italian, French or Netherlands governments fared much better at the start. So we were slower than most to react which is a big minus but virtually every country experienced an accute lack of PPE. Most countries failed to adequately protect those in care homes and although it’s difficult to do any meaningful comparisons on testing the indicators, as far as I can assertain, are that we are testing just as much if not more than most other EU countries. Italy and Spain for example seemed to have had more cases and deaths amongst their medical staff so why are our numbers so appalling in comparison? Is it that we should have insisted the guidance was obeyed rather than having ’advised’ that It was? Should we have rigorously enforced the rules and perhaps had armed police on the streets to ensure compliance? Is our vaunted NHS as good as we crack it up to be? Is patient recovery better in other countries? If so why? Could it perhaps be that we have a higher proportion of resident idiots? Do we shove the responsibility for looking after our frail and elderly more on our government than other nations? I genuinely am at a loss and simply reading that BoJo has fecked up does diddly squat for understanding or advancing any sort of worthwhile discussion.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I saw something on the news last night about the German r number increasing to around 2.
But cannot find any supporting news sites or articles today. Did I dream that?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I saw something on the news last night about the German r number increasing to around 2.
Not dreaming. The report was that the R number in Berlin was increasing to around 2 though, rather than Germany as a whole.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's supposed to be Berlin, the rest of Germany is allegedly at 0.89 but I haven't really seen a lot of reports confirming it.