SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Well that explains a lot. From all the unfortunate mistakes from your government, that is in top 3, I would argue.
Same here in Ireland. “Face coverings” (not masks) recommended in shops/public transport but not mandatory. And, where I live, I’d say less than 1 in 4 people stick to this recommendation. Which is annoying but doesn’t seem to have had much effect on our stats (very good for a couple of weeks now)

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Masks now mandatory on public transport from the 15th in England.

Wolverine

That booking slots thing sounds mental. Can you not just take blood off each other on the wards and send it off to the lab?
Yeah recommended that, said they'll look into it but something about "special" tubes and sterile virology bags that they don't the logistics in place to transport cross-site safely or something. But they're reassuring that it'll be brought over to the main hospital (where the ED, ITU, resp ward, covid wards all are) so not sure why not just put it there to start with.

decorativeed

My lasses family were all tested because her sister (who is pregnant) was having COVID symptoms. The people dealing with the tests have since lost the sister's test and the others haven't had results back yet weeks later. It's difficult to fathom how we can get this so wrong at every level.
On the other hand, I heard from my stepmother that she had been tested 2 weeks ago, and she couldn't speak highly enough about the care she received and the efficiency of the process. I suppose some areas are just doing better than others.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
And I guess this macro function proves itself to be all but useless when there is such a massive variations in local areas and it's being used to drive policies at national level?

NATION
NATION
NATIONAL
NATIONAL LEVEL
feck I knew I should've gone to Barnard Castle.

decorativeed

Same here in Ireland. “Face coverings” (not masks) recommended in shops/public transport but not mandatory. And, where I live, I’d say less than 1 in 4 people stick to this recommendation. Which is annoying but doesn’t seem to have had much effect on our stats (very good for a couple of weeks now)
The thing with this is that I kind of get why the public haven't embraced this as an idea. Where have you ever even seen face masks on sale, for example? I've never noticed them in shops. I'm currently on a 2 month long waiting list to get one delivered. The home-made ones we currently have cause me to continually touch my face to reposition it as it moves off my nose when I move my head or try to talk.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
The thing with this is that I kind of get why the public haven't embraced this as an idea. Where have you ever even seen face masks on sale, for example? I've never noticed them in shops. I'm currently on a 2 month long waiting list to get one delivered. The home-made ones we currently have cause me to continually touch my face to reposition it as it moves off my nose when I move my head or try to talk.
I got some to my sister from Amazon in a few days. These were the ones, just regular blue pleated masks. She said they were decent quality.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PORTWORLD-...1591290348&sprefix=face+masks+,aps,201&sr=8-1

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal

I was about to ask that question somewhere. Where does one buy a supply? I'm flying in a few weeks and I'll need some. If I turn up to the airport will they just give me some?

F-Red

About a month after Sadiq Khan called for it. Party Politics.
I didn't see it as much as that, i saw it more that non-essential retail and wider businesses going back on the 15th of June will overwhelm public transport volumes compared to what we're seeing currently and that they are paranoid of the R rate increasing.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
1. I don’t understand why it wasn’t mandatory to wear masks in the first place on public transport - both from the lockdown beginning and when initial easing took place.

2. Why the heck is there an 11 day delay on making it mandatory? What’s the logic behind making it mandatory from the 15th June instead of...today?

redshaw

When we have 0 cases and deaths we'll probably have a Chinese style lockdown just to make sure, if we have masks now and quarantine for travelers

Probably be a decent amount lower this week overall.

gormless

1. I don’t understand why it wasn’t mandatory to wear masks in the first place on public transport - both from the lockdown beginning and when initial easing took place.

2. Why the heck is there an 11 day delay on making it mandatory? What’s the logic behind making it mandatory from the 15th June instead of...today?
I completely agree. My brothers a bus driver and people have been taking the piss. On a number of occasions during lockdown he got to the last stop, and told somebody on board that they're turning round. Only to be told that they've "come for the ride out."

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?

Give people chance to get hold of a mask perhaps?

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff

The UK is going backwards with all of this. Should have been international travel quarantine from the beginning, masks from the beginning.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

Probably due to the lack of PPE for key workers, they must have managable stock from the 15th.

F-Red

Probably due to the lack of PPE for key workers, they must have managable stock from the 15th.
PPE isn't relevant for what the government asking people to do, you shouldn't be using medical facemasks. Plain cloth face coverings is all you need. It's simply down to the volume of people using public transport, and the inability to practice social distancing.

Pagh Wraith

R is at 0.71 as of yesterday.

Edit: Just seen, that's already been posted.

The Helmholtz Centre for Infection Research also updates the R number daily: https://gitlab.com/simm/covid19/secir/-/wikis/Report. Their model seems a little less volatile and here it hasn't gone above 1 since early April for what it's worth. You can also see the numbers for each state if you scroll down a little.
And now the R value is at 0.57 for Germany and 0.85 for Berlin. The RKI just released today's numbers. Seems to me it doesn't make much sense to get too hung up about it and read too much into it.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Retail goes back on the 15th of June, majority of those will travel by public transport.
That's fair but we saw a couple of weeks ago when they told everyone to go back to work how packed the London buses/the tube was - masks should have absolutely been on the agenda from that point at least. I'm not shocked that it wasn't put in place because they've fecked up a lot already but they've had so much time to set things up.

I completely agree. My brothers a bus driver and people have been taking the piss. On a number of occasions during lockdown he got to the last stop, and told somebody on board that they're turning round. Only to be told that they've "come for the ride out."
Ffs I'd have thrown them off at that point.

Give people chance to get hold of a mask perhaps?
We've been in lockdown for 2 months is it now? Just over that? They've had so much time to get the message out to get hold of masks and advise people where and how to get them or make them if needed.

The UK is going backwards with all of this. Should have been international travel quarantine from the beginning, masks from the beginning.
Indeed, I couldn't believe it when my partner came back on one of the chartered flights from Australia in March and she breezed through the airports with no inspections, no need to quarantine or have masks. Baffling.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
The basic blue disposable surgical masks are on sale everywhere here. There was a bit of price gouging going on when lockdown started but you can buy packs of 10 for a couple of quid in most corner shops now. I have never used them because I don’t like the way they end up in landfill.

Most people (of the people who wear masks) have cotton reusable ones, with fancy patterns. Seems like it’s almost a fashion thing. My wife (who has a biggish Instagram account) has been sent a bunch of them by local fashion designers. They all look fecking stupid. I refuse to wear them. Luckily work sent me some basic white cotton ones, which do the job. Youtube is full of videos about how to make your own from bandanas, socks etc

decorativeed

The basic blue disposable surgical masks are on sale everywhere here. There was a bit of price gouging going on when lockdown started but you can buy packs of 10 for a couple of quid in most corner shops now. I have never used them because I don’t like the way they end up in landfill.

Most people (of the people who wear masks) have cotton reusable ones, with fancy patterns. Seems like it’s almost a fashion thing. My wife (who has a biggish Instagram account) has been sent a bunch of them by local fashion designers. They all look fecking stupid. I refuse to wear them. Luckily work sent me some basic white cotton ones, which do the job. Youtube is full of videos about how to make your own from bandanas, socks etc
Yeah, same here. They also seem to find their way into bushes and onto pavements around here with some frequency.

Luckily, I don't really have to go anywhere but once a week to the shops, and I wait till late when nobody's around.

Might have to get the sewing machine out.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point

Gives stores a chance to stock up and stops people from stock-piling March loo-roll style.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
PPE isn't relevant for what the government asking people to do, you shouldn't be using medical facemasks. Plain cloth face coverings is all you need. It's simply down to the volume of people using public transport, and the inability to practice social distancing.
That's the problem though, people are doing and more people would of ordered them when supplies were short at the time. That is, in my opinion why the government haven't brought this in sooner. Roughly 9 out of ten people I see wearing face masks in public are medical grade.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Christ that's grim. Everytime I think about 'feck it, I'll just take my chances' I remind myself that it's a nasty fecker.
I know, right? I think people also forget that proper flu is horrendous too. It’s much rarer than you’d think to catch influenza. Bad colds are often called flu but the real thing can feck you over for months. So covid must be a whole other level.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Strongly advise everyone to go through the portal to order a Covid test.

My partner is sick / symptomatic.

Went online to order two tests. Despite paying all bills at the address and having council tax bills in our names.....

The government system does not recognise us as living here. We have been here two years.

Next step.... there are none. It recommends I go to a Drive through testing centre. I don’t have a car. It specifically says to not take a taxi.

It’s also says.... drumroll......... DO NOT LEAVE THE HOUSE IF YOU OR ANYONE YOU LIVE WITH IS SHOWING SYMPTOMS....

What the fcuking fcuk.

Overly dramatic but please do all go and run through the website now, don’t wait until you need it. The system may not be there for you.

Obviously be a good egg and don’t order a test if you don’t need one.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Strongly advise everyone to go through the portal to order a Covid test.

My partner is sick / symptomatic.

Went online to order two tests. Despite paying all bills at the address and having council tax bills in our names.....

The government system does not recognise us as living here. We have been here two years.

Next step.... there are none. It recommends I go to a Drive through testing centre. I don’t have a car. It specifically says to not take a taxi.

It’s also says.... drumroll......... DO NOT LEAVE THE HOUSE IF YOU OR ANYONE YOU LIVE WITH IS SHOWING SYMPTOMS....

What the fcuking fcuk.

Overly dramatic but please do all go and run through the website now, don’t wait until you need it. The system may not be there for you.

Obviously be a good egg and don’t order a test if you don’t need one.
Oh no.
I really do hope that your partner is ok and that it is something else.
And you are certainly not over reacting. It must be unbelievably frustrating.

Presumably the problem is the National Insurance number?
Have you tried to call the helpline.
Dumb question I guess but just wondered.

Can your GP not help.
Seems a stupid situation.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Masks now mandatory on public transport from the 15th in England.
Even though the government has repeatedly said that face coverings offer little tangible benefits.

So. Why now. What has changed, apart from the fact that the government is and has been making policy decisions on the hoof.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Oh no.
I really do hope that your partner is ok and that it is something else.
And you are certainly not over reacting. It must be unbelievably frustrating.

Presumably the problem is the National Insurance number?
Have you tried to call the helpline.
Dumb question I guess but just wondered.

Can your GP not help.
Seems a stupid situation.
Cheers mate. I’ve resolved the situation. I’ve ordered some to the neighbours house in their name. I’m no less mad though.

These people are ghouls.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Cheers mate. I’ve resolved the situation. I’ve ordered some to the neighbours house in their name. I’m no less mad though.

These people are ghouls.
Excellent. I was going to suggest something like that.
Well done to your neighbours.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Even though the government has repeatedly said that face coverings offer little tangible benefits.

So. Why now. What has changed, apart from the fact that the government is and has been making policy decisions on the hoof.
They were saying that because they were struggling to source enough for key workers and knew if the entire country started using them the front line staff would likely go short.

So yes, they gave bad advice to the entire country and likely kept the infection rate higher than it needed to be because of their absolute logistical shit show. .

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
They were saying that because they were struggling to source enough for key workers and knew if the entire country started using them the front line staff would likely go short.

So yes, they gave bad advice to the entire country and likely kept the infection rate higher than it needed to be because of their absolute logistical shit show. .
British Govenment kills its own citizens because they can’t sort their shit out in a global supply chain, despite supposedly being one of the richest countries on the planet. What a fcuking shit show.

Oh and we’re about to divorce ourself from the established global supply chain and go alone and do BrExit.

But Brit’s don’t care so long as they can clap at 8pm and watch some BCL football.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Thankfully I’ve not followed UK Governments advice at all on covid19 and was always more interested in what scientists from Korea, China and Singapore had to say.