SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

capture02j79.png

China's pandemic.
Surely the Chinese government lost all credibility with their initial handling of the virus.

I came in contact(spend a few hours indoors) with someone who tested positive - I met him 4 days ago and I think he had symptoms on the day of me meeting him..

I've taken both doses -- can someone please advice the protocol for me? Would I need to isolate for 10 days?

I came in contact(spend a few hours indoors) with someone who tested positive - I met him 4 days ago and I think he had symptoms on the day of me meeting him..

I've taken both doses -- can someone please advice the protocol for me? Would I need to isolate for 10 days?
If you've got it, there's a good chance you're more or less at your most infectious for the next couple of days.

In the UK, the guidance for the double vaccinated is to get a PCR test, but that you don't need to self-isolate. Though there is a caveat about avoiding unnecessary social contact, or meeting with someone who's elderly or clinically vulnerable.

If you subsequently get symptoms, test again and self-isolate until you receive your PCR result. If you weren't double vaxxed the guidance would be to quarantine for ten days.

All of which might be easier said than done outside the UK.

Incidentally, I've been pinged by the covid app this week, for a contact on Friday, so I've just done a PCR test. As I can work from home and don't have to go out, I will quarantine myself for a couple more days - just in case...

I don't think you have to isolate if you have been double jabbed anymore (which I think is a pretty daft idea to be honest)

If you've got it, there's a good chance you're more or less at your most infectious for the next couple of days.

In the UK, the guidance for the double vaccinated is to get a PCR test, but that you don't need to self-isolate. Though there is a caveat about avoiding unnecessary social contact, or meeting with someone who's elderly or clinically vulnerable.

If you subsequently get symptoms, test again and self-isolate until you receive your PCR result. If you weren't double vaxxed the guidance would be to quarantine for ten days.

All of which might be easier said than done outside the UK.

Interesting. In Ireland the guidance is no need to restrict movements or get tested, if you’re a fully vaccinated close contact. Crazy how much variation there is when you’d hope there could be some sort of scientific consensus.

@zing You need to seek out and follow local guidance. As you can see, the recommendations differ from country to country. Might even vary regionally within big countries.

Interesting. In Ireland the guidance is no need to restrict movements or get tested, if you’re a fully vaccinated close contact. Crazy how much variation there is when you’d hope there could be some sort of scientific consensus.

@zing You need to seek out and follow local guidance. As you can see, the recommendations differ from country to country. Might even vary regionally within big countries.
I think the timing issue is a problem as well. I'm told I had "an encounter" on Friday. But that quotes last contact not initial contact (if it was repeated encounters) - I was staying at a hotel from Wednesday to Friday.

If it really was Friday only, then the PCR test I was told to do yesterday was perhaps a bit early - which is better than too late or not at all, but shows how hit and miss some of the guidance is in practice.

Automatically sending me some LFT kits when I registered the PCR test and asking me to retest with those during the week would seem to cover things better.

So, who knows, all these countries are following the science and we're now at the phase of handling the move to normality etc, so they're all feeling their way.

Ireland has the great advantage of very high vaccination rates across the population now, which should cut most infection chains short anyway. Plus you're starting from relatively low case rates, so you should be able to see trouble coming.

I think the timing issue is a problem as well. I'm told I had "an encounter" on Friday. But that quotes last contact not initial contact (if it was repeated encounters) - I was staying at a hotel from Wednesday to Friday.

If it really was Friday only, then the PCR test I was told to do yesterday was perhaps a bit early - which is better than too late or not at all, but shows how hit and miss some of the guidance is in practice.

Automatically sending me some LFT kits when I registered the PCR test and asking me to retest with those during the week would seem to cover things better.

So, who knows, all these countries are following the science and we're now at the phase of handling the move to normality etc, so they're all feeling their way.

Ireland has the great advantage of very high vaccination rates across the population now, which should cut most infection chains short anyway. Plus you're starting from relatively low case rates, so you should be able to see trouble coming.

Thanks both - I'm in India and there's no guidelines around this. I was asking for the right thing to do as you say - because I come in contact with my parents who are elderly, and I'd also like to not spread it around if I have it. I am comfortable isolating for as long as it takes as I work from home and have my own place.

The person I met was - I am told now - unwell on the day I met him and I spent 5 hours indoors.

So the UK government is considering another “fire breaker” for October.

The plans are allegedly to increase the October half term to 2 weeks. Reimplement social distancing and mask wearing in shops etc. Reduce the number of people permitted to enter your home and a worst case scenario national lockdown with only essential shops open.

I really hope all of these inconsiderate cnuts that have refused vaccines and are also refusing to use common sense when they are out and about are proud of themselves.

Sick to death of all of this now.

The plans are allegedly to increase the October half term to 2 weeks. Reimplement social distancing and mask wearing in shops etc. Reduce the number of people permitted to enter your home and a worst case scenario national lockdown with only essential shops open.

I really hope all of these inconsiderate cnuts that have refused vaccines and are also refusing to use common sense when they are out and about are proud of themselves.

Oh perfect. I’ve got a free holiday with my partner’s family on a canal boat for a week during half term so I guess that will be out of the question.

It's been denied, not that this would mean anything really since they are full of shit either way.

I'm not in England but regardless, more lockdowns at this point would cause chaos.

My friend had COVID in March - this is India at the beginning of the second wave, so it presumably would’ve been delta.. he took the Indian vaccine last month and the second dose was a week ago. Today he’s tested positive for COVID again — both times he’s had similar symptoms of fever of around 101.. this time it’s a little worse. How improbable is this?..

My friend had COVID in March - this is India at the beginning of the second wave, so it presumably would’ve been delta.. he took the Indian vaccine last month and the second dose was a week ago. Today he’s tested positive for COVID again — both times he’s had similar symptoms of fever of around 101.. this time it’s a little worse. How improbable is this?..

Not very, unfortunately.

Assuming “Indian vaccine” is AZ then he wouldn’t be fully protected a week after the second dose so he can consider himself very unlucky.

Not very, unfortunately.

Assuming “Indian vaccine” is AZ then he wouldn’t be fully protected a week after the second dose so he can consider himself very unlucky.

Not AZ. There's a locally developed one called Covaxin.

Not AZ. There's a locally developed one called Covaxin.
The inactivated virus vaccines are all struggling really. The Cuban one has gone directly to a three dose model. The Chinese ones (outside China) will probably get a mRNA third/booster dose to push the efficacy up.

Very unusual for him to have the misfortune of testing positive in March and again now, as that probably means he's caught Delta twice. If that becomes common it will definitely be a problem.

How do we move forward out of this with natural winter coughs and colds?

A cough is a covid symptom, we’re all going to get more and more coughs. Can’t shut our lives down for ten days at a time everyone we get a standard cough

Surely have to allow daily LF testing to allow a more normal life once cleared by a PCR

How do we move forward out of this with natural winter coughs and colds?

A cough is a covid symptom, we’re all going to get more and more coughs. Can’t shut our lives down for ten days at a time everyone we get a standard cough

Surely have to allow daily LF testing to allow a more normal life once cleared by a PCR
In the UK, if you get symptoms, get a PCR test and stay home. If the test comes back negative you don't have to quarantine any longer, assuming you aren't actually still ill that is. It's best if people don't give each other other respiratory viruses as well really.

As for non-covid post-viral coughs that keep you coughing long after you feel well - I recommend honey :smirk:

LFTs are good if you've got no symptoms. For this winter at least, encouraging more people to use them routinely would be a good thing.

Thanks both - I'm in India and there's no guidelines around this. I was asking for the right thing to do as you say - because I come in contact with my parents who are elderly, and I'd also like to not spread it around if I have it. I am comfortable isolating for as long as it takes as I work from home and have my own place.

The person I met was - I am told now - unwell on the day I met him and I spent 5 hours indoors.

Vaccinated people are less likely to be infectious, and if infectious likely less duration of infectivity and less infectivity too. As such I would just be cautious and maybe try to isolate for 5 days or so (particularly avoid elderly and vulnerable) and if no symptoms unlikely that you have it too. Just an educated guess though. That's what I would do.

Oh perfect. I’ve got a free holiday with my partner’s family on a canal boat for a week during half term so I guess that will be out of the question.

I’ve now seen that the government has denied the October fire breaker scenario. As you know though, you can’t trust a bloody word this lot says.

Anyone gone on holiday lately? I'm starting to get tempted.

Loads of times. Leaving a place of high incidence and low protection measures and going to a place of low incidence and high protection measures is a no brainer.

I’ve spent something like 3 months overseas since the start of the Pandemic.

If you go, please use Testing For All. They’re a not for profit test provider. Their service is great and you’re not lining a Tories pocket.

In the UK, if you get symptoms, get a PCR test and stay home. If the test comes back negative you don't have to quarantine any longer, assuming you aren't actually still ill that is. It's best if people don't give each other other respiratory viruses as well really.

Are you sure. Not from what we’ve read

The inactivated virus vaccines are all struggling really. The Cuban one has gone directly to a three dose model. The Chinese ones (outside China) will probably get a mRNA third/booster dose to push the efficacy up.

Very unusual for him to have the misfortune of testing positive in March and again now, as that probably means he's caught Delta twice. If that becomes common it will definitely be a problem.

My friend who was based in Dubai took the sinopharm vaccine while he was there. When he returned to Singapore, he learned that a friend of his who also took the vaccines in Dubai did an antibody test in Singapore and found that he had zero antibodies. They immediately went for the Pfizer vaccine that is available here.

Are you sure. Not from what we’ve read
It's a messy business and isn't getting any less complicated but:
"If you have a negative COVID-19 PCR test result after being tested because you had symptoms
If your PCR test result is negative but you still have symptoms, you may have another viral illness such as a cold, flu or a stomach bug. You should stay at home until you feel well and for at least 2 more days if you have had diarrhoea or vomiting. Seek medical attention if you are concerned about your symptoms.

You can stop isolating as long as:

- you are well and have not had diarrhoea or vomiting for at least 2 days
- no one else in your household has symptoms
- no one else in your household has tested positive for COVID-19
- you have not been advised by NHS Test and Trace that you are legally required to self-isolate

Anyone in your household who is isolating because of your symptoms can also stop isolating."
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...-with-possible-coronavirus-covid-19-infection

It's a messy business and isn't getting any less complicated but:
"If you have a negative COVID-19 PCR test result after being tested because you had symptoms
If your PCR test result is negative but you still have symptoms, you may have another viral illness such as a cold, flu or a stomach bug. You should stay at home until you feel well and for at least 2 more days if you have had diarrhoea or vomiting. Seek medical attention if you are concerned about your symptoms.

You can stop isolating as long as:

- you are well and have not had diarrhoea or vomiting for at least 2 days
- no one else in your household has symptoms
- no one else in your household has tested positive for COVID-19
- you have not been advised by NHS Test and Trace that you are legally required to self-isolate

Anyone in your household who is isolating because of your symptoms can also stop isolating."
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...-with-possible-coronavirus-covid-19-infection

Interesting.

It’s so confusing as there’s so many contradicting gov.uk and nhs pages

Interesting.

It’s so confusing as there’s so many contradicting gov.uk and nhs pages

The mess reflects the difficult situation.

Vaccinated people transmit less but not zero. So how do we deal with the possibility of false negative PCR for Covid? No idea. I think based off common sense, if PCR is negative you should stop isolating. But who knows. :Shrugs shoulders:

My Mum applied for her covid passport about a week before coming to Spain with all the relevant details such as flight number as N.Ireland are only handing out passports to people already booked on flights. Luckily she didn't need it because It didn't arrive. Finally after a month and threats it arrived with a 3 month expiration date.

What happens here? Is it automatically renewed (which seems stupid after only 3 months) or will it take booster shots for her to be eligible again? There's so little information on the, matter that it really is disgusting.

My Mum applied for her covid passport about a week before coming to Spain with all the relevant details such as flight number as N.Ireland are only handing out passports to people already booked on flights. Luckily she didn't need it because It didn't arrive. Finally after a month and threats it arrived with a 3 month expiration date.

What happens here? Is it automatically renewed (which seems stupid after only 3 months) or will it take booster shots for her to be eligible again? There's so little information on the, matter that it really is disgusting.
Another part of the "vaccine passports = easier said than done" mystery picture at the moment.

In England she could download the NHS app and after some messing around with settings and ID tests, she'd get a domestic pass (basically a tick and a QR code) and a travel pass (that actually lists vaccines taken and their dates again with QR codes). The passes are valid for a month but automatically roll forward. You can also get a printed version of your vaccine record from 119 - no expiry date but some countries are already saying "second dose within the last 9 months" as standard, which means that some people's jabs will start running out soon.

In NI they're still working on it. Sounds like they haven't really got there yet - but then that's true of just about everywhere.

Vaccinated people are less likely to be infectious, and if infectious likely less duration of infectivity and less infectivity too. As such I would just be cautious and maybe try to isolate for 5 days or so (particularly avoid elderly and vulnerable) and if no symptoms unlikely that you have it too. Just an educated guess though. That's what I would do.

Thanks.

Been 5 days - no symptoms and tested negative. I'm going to stay in for 5 more, do another test before I head out.

Whereabouts in India are you located? Seeing reports of rising cases in Mumbai. I'm worried a third wave might be coming

Another part of the "vaccine passports = easier said than done" mystery picture at the moment.

In England she could download the NHS app and after some messing around with settings and ID tests, she'd get a domestic pass (basically a tick and a QR code) and a travel pass (that actually lists vaccines taken and their dates again with QR codes). The passes are valid for a month but automatically roll forward. You can also get a printed version of your vaccine record from 119 - no expiry date but some countries are already saying "second dose within the last 9 months" as standard, which means that some people's jabs will start running out soon.

In NI they're still working on it. Sounds like they haven't really got there yet - but then that's true of just about everywhere.

The thing is all developed countries started vaccinating at the same time so some people will be coming to the end of their passport validity, meaning unless they start boosters soon those countries will have no choice but to extend validity. Its already happening in some places.

The thing is all developed countries started vaccinating at the same time so some people will be coming to the end of their passport validity, meaning unless they start boosters soon those countries will have no choice but to extend validity. Its already happening in some places.

Is there any consensus on duration of passport validity? The science is far from clear. The data supposedly showing waning efficacy is potentially confounded and only seems to be an issue in the elderly (who we always knew would respond less well to vaccination).

There’s basically no evidence of a need for boosters in the young or middle aged, so doesn’t make any sense to insist on a fixed validity duration for all ages.

UK ICU report is out. Mostly confirming some trends from this wave compared to last. Average admission age (now 51) is starting to drift back up, as younger age groups get vaccinated - but that still means roughly a quarter of admissions are between 16 and 38.

Some inequalities are more marked than ever, with people living in the most deprived areas 4 times as likely to end up in ICU as the least deprived, and admissions of black patients rising from 5% to 10%. Also seeing more pregnant/recently pregnant women in ICU than ever. These ratios are more or less direct reflections of vaccination patterns/take-up.

E-hEoQUWQAYwIop

Thread is based on:
https://www.icnarc.org/Our-Audit/Audits/Cmp/Reports

Anyone gone on holiday lately? I'm starting to get tempted.
As said above me, the fact that I would most likely be in a country with much lower cases if I was to go abroad doesn't worry me in the slightest, but the travelling aspect really puts me off.

Pre-Covid, I already hated the flying process, I get really anxious about all the timing and staying stuck in a plane seat etc. and my body hates me for it. So couldn't imagine how it would be considering I'm quite aware with this virus, so not comfortable with people I don't know staying in close proximity to me, without any outside air flow, and having to wear a mask for hours on end, along with all the confusing test procedures that go along with it.

I would say it's fine to wait a couple of months until 2022, but we've been saying this for nigh on a year now, with no considerable improvements, so not really sure how it's going to pan out in the long term.

Two years without any flying for me so far, which I think is the longest ever for me.

I'm sorely tempted to get the car in the Euro tunnel and drive over through France, as that would be a lot more relaxed, being able to sit in your own confined space, and a lot more freedom to move around while travelling, although I need to muster up the courage to drive on the other side of the road first :lol:

Many thanks for the clarification. It seems the N.Ireland government (??) are too busy bickering between themselves to actually govern and have been a mitigating disaster ever since the pandemic started.

In Cataluña we have an application called La meva salut (my health) which means I can access my medical records any time I want and gives results of any tests I've had within 24 hours. Within 10 minutes of my second pfizer dose I was sent the European digital covid passport which as far as I can tell doesn't have any expiration date. Whether that will change anytime soon is anyones guess but it really is embarrassing the way some countries (N.Ireland) have been dealing with the pandemic since the get go.

As said above me, the fact that I would most likely be in a country with much lower cases if I was to go abroad doesn't worry me in the slightest, but the travelling aspect really puts me off.

Does this actually check out? If you're traveling, you'd be going around and running into way more people than if you were living at home and working.

Is there any consensus on duration of passport validity? The science is far from clear. The data supposedly showing waning efficacy is potentially confounded and only seems to be an issue in the elderly (who we always knew would respond less well to vaccination).

There’s basically no evidence of a need for boosters in the young or middle aged, so doesn’t make any sense to insist on a fixed validity duration for all ages.

No. Italy had 9 months but is now upping it to 1 year. Some others have done similar but there is no consensus. It's not a science problem though its political. Governments can't place restrictions back on citizens who got the vaccines early if the booster campaigns are not up and running yet.

Pre-Covid, I already hated the flying process, I get really anxious about all the timing and staying stuck in a plane seat etc. and my body hates me for it. So couldn't imagine how it would be considering I'm quite aware with this virus, so not comfortable with people I don't know staying in close proximity to me, without any outside air flow, and having to wear a mask for hours on end, along with all the confusing test procedures that go along with it.

I would say it's fine to wait a couple of months until 2022, but we've been saying this for nigh on a year now, with no considerable improvements, so not really sure how it's going to pan out in the long term.

Two years without any flying for me so far, which I think is the longest ever for me.

I'm sorely tempted to get the car in the Euro tunnel and drive over through France, as that would be a lot more relaxed, being able to sit in your own confined space, and a lot more freedom to move around while travelling, although I need to muster up the courage to drive on the other side of the road first :lol:

Yeah I get all that. It’s the commute that would be the most stressful. I’m actually outside the UK but want to visit London to meet friends/family I haven’t seen in a while. But I’m unsure how safe London is right now since it looks like life is pretty much back to normal for most people there. But I also know it’s either now or next summer as things will likely get worse during the winter.