SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Dante

Average bang
We couldn't un-ring the bell back in February 2020 when the very first two cases were found in the UK. It'll be the same with Omicron in November 2021.

Get ready for a bumpy Christmas. Or, more likely, New Years - since the government won't want to hurt the commercial sector too much over the next month.

Djemba-Djemba

Can anyone find the post about how the guy wasn't worried about Covid because he lived in a nice middle class area and eats Sunday lunch at fancy pubs ?

That was on here wasn't it ? One of the all time great posts.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Think it's already been said but how quickly can existing vaccines be tweaked to deal with new strains?

Pretty sure it was said at outset it could be done in 6 weeks-two months but guess that was a bit over optimistic like most of the strategy in early 2020.

Was speaking to my Dad yesterday who had his booster a few weeks ago and he's getting tired of having to go to get a jab every few months so vaccine fatigue could become big problem if a new one has to be created from scratch to deal with this variant if outbreak gets really bad.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Can anyone find the post about how the guy wasn't worried about Covid because he lived in a nice middle class area and eats Sunday lunch at fancy pubs ?

That was on here wasn't it ? One of the all time great posts.
Would have to go back nearly 2 years for that! :lol: "like minded affluent individuals" or something. I'm pretty sure he did a Glaston style posting retreat after that but could be wrong.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Worth noting how low hospital admissions are compared to 12 months ago. Shows how effective vaccination generally has been on the whole.

Let's hope the scientists can do their thing quickly again if this really is serious strain.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Boris announcing "temporary, precautionary measures" to slow down seeding of the new Omicron variant and to allow time for more boosters/vaccines to go out.

Case rates are fairly stable or rising slowly in the UK (mostly in school age children) but falling in the over 60s as boosters go out. Hence hospitalisations and deaths continue to fall.

New measures will include changes to testing following international travel (PCR test at day 2 and self isolate until you get a negative result). Masks will become mandatory in more places - presumably public transport and shops.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
If I've understood him, then day 2 PCR testing for all arrivals & self-isolation until you get a negative result, face masks being re-introduced in shops & public transport & mandatory 10 day self-isolation for Omicron being implemented (even if you're double vaxxed). Booster roll-out also being expanded - not sure if that means under 40s but sounds like it.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
PCR tests for all travellers returning to the UK within 2 days - and isolation until confirmed negative result
Isolation for anyone deemed a close contact to a new variant positive test
Masks in public spaces indoors and on public transport
Talks to widen booster jabs and lessen time between 2nd and 3rd jab

Glad to see the government being proactive and proportionate this time around

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
Masks in public spaces indoor but nightclubs are still open? What’s gonna happen now is everyone gonna wear masks at a packed nightclub

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Boris announcing "temporary, precautionary measures" to slow down seeding of the new Omicron variant and to allow time for more boosters/vaccines to go out.

Case rates are fairly stable or rising slowly in the UK (mostly in school age children) but falling in the over 60s as boosters go out. Hence hospitalisations and deaths continue to fall.

New measures will include changes to testing following international travel (PCR test at day 2 and self isolate until you get a negative result). Masks will become mandatory in more places - presumably public transport and shops.
Fair enough for me. Assess again in early Jan.

I presume BCD will be inevitable at sporting fixtures in near future aswell.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I'm hoping these are precautionary measures & once they get more data, things aren't going to be as bad as they sound.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
All sounds reasonable for now… two cases, sure they’ll change if numbers in this variant rise (and it does sound different… less of an impact from existing vaccines).

No issue with face coverings… I still wear them in all shops anyway, not really a hardship.

Supposed to be going to Sweden next week so had pcr test booked (need the ref anyway for the passenger control form). Been for a pcr test today also… hopefully clear and hopefully Sweden don’t just close borders regardless - double jabbed, pcr test four days before, pcr test one day after return.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Masks in public spaces indoor but nightclubs are still open? What’s gonna happen now is everyone gonna wear masks at a packed nightclub
Public transport and shops. In other words the places that the vulnerable can't avoid. The rule should always have been there in my opinion. Not really to reduce total case numbers (you'd have to go after hospitality, workplaces, sports etc as well for that) but to help protect people when they're doing the kind of everyday stuff that you have to do whether you feel personally safe, or willing to gamble, or not.

Wolverine

Definitely right to be proactive but two main things regarding how dangerous this is will be
- studies which should be upcoming/ongoing with regards to antibody neutralisations/real world data on breakthrough infections
- severe disease as a result (like it was in delta as we saw in India)
We do know its v transmissible which isn't great

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...-causes-mild-disease/articleshow/87949404.cms
The chairwoman of the South African Medical Association has said so far not seeing this manifest as severe disease just yet but not sure what demographic/patient profile the statement below is on
"It presents mild disease with symptoms being sore muscles and tiredness for a day or two not feeling well. So far, we have detected that those infected do not suffer loss of taste or smell. They might have a slight cough. There are no prominent symptoms. Of those infected some are currently being treated at home.” Hospitals have NOT been overburdened by Omicron patients and the new strain has not been detected in vaccinated individuals there. We know those vaccinated from other countries infected have been mild or asymptomatic."

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Public transport and shops. In other words the places that the vulnerable can't avoid. The rule should always have been there in my opinion. Not really to reduce total case numbers but to help some protect people when they're doing the kind of everyday stuff that you have to do whether you feel personally safe, or willing to gamble, or not.
We still apparently have the rule here in shops but I've seen lots of people not bother for weeks now. It needs reinforcing how much of a hardship is it really in the big picture?

Irwin99

BBC and itv questions both about wfh and passports (looking for a headline/story) and asking about 17 questions.

”why aren’t you”, “why haven’t you”… as if they know jack shit compared to the scientists
To be fair, the whole WFH seems a decent question. It seems so unnecessary at times to have people at an office during this season when a lot of them could do exactly the same job at home.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Think it's already been said but how quickly can existing vaccines be tweaked to deal with new strains?

Pretty sure it was said at outset it could be done in 6 weeks-two months but guess that was a bit over optimistic like most of the strategy in early 2020.

Was speaking to my Dad yesterday who had his booster a few weeks ago and he's getting tired of having to go to get a jab every few months so vaccine fatigue could become big problem if a new one has to be created from scratch to deal with this variant if outbreak gets really bad.
one of the greatest posts of all time!

Also, I feel your dad. It's annoying as feck, but much better than not have any vaccine at all. It's the best we can do, even if it is tiring. My problem is mainly that I don't see how we should overcome the current situation at all. We simply float from an okay summer to a horrible winter (this year will be even worse) and we keep repeating mistakes that should be pretty easy to avoid. I don't think it will end anytime soon...somehow thew new normal really will be the new normal for many years. Absolutely depressed by this thought.

diarm

Does this mean I'm bollocksed for the United game on Thursday?

My flight is 6:30 in the morning. Game at 8pm.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
To be fair, the whole WFH seems a decent question. It seems so unnecessary at times to have people at an office during this season when a lot of them could do exactly the same job at home.
I was going to go into an office to interview someone about a book I'm working on....probably will have to leave it until May/June.....2023 at this rate. :lol:

Vallance estimates about 100 days for possible vaccine tweak but taking up booster jab more important given it's in play which is fair enough for what is known so far.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
We still apparently have the rule here in shops but I've seen lots of people not bother for weeks now. It needs reinforcing how much of a hardship is it really in the big picture?
I think with England dropping the legal framework for enforcement, the rest of the UK and individual shops etc were trying to push water uphill. I think when the rule returns, the majority will comply and then almost everyone will again - a lot of people just stopped because "no one else is doing it."

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

Probably take a mask and wear it. I get the feeling BCD will become a thing at some point in next two months, hopefully not for all of the season.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I think with England dropping the legal framework for enforcement, the rest of the UK and individual shops etc were trying to push water uphill. I think when the rule returns, the majority will comply and then almost everyone will again - a lot of people just stopped because "no one else is doing it."
Yes I think you are right there.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Yes I think you are right there.
I've been guilty with that. Religiously wore mask on a train for pretty much 12 months when day to day life restarted but been a bit more lax with it since getting double jabbed in early August especially if there's only 2-3 other people in the train carriage.

Not going to take chances this time so just have to respect the state of play again for 2-3 months and perhaps things will calm down again in March.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I’ve been at home since March 2020, no issue with it and company made it mandatory for most of that. There are people who have to go to a building and unfortunately businesses that are pushing staff to… if people have the option, no idea why going in and waiting for the Govt to tell them what to do.

My point was More about having an opportunity to ask a question/raise a public concern and itv guy raised two points same as BBC. I think both organisations coverage generally throughout this has been negative/glass half empty. The UK has double jabbed almost 70% of the population… amazing result from a standing start. And some of the 30% are people who could have had and said no.

That last guy said should the govt have acted sooner. What from finding out Thursday to today?! Idiot

diarm

Probably take a mask and wear it. I get the feeling BCD will become a thing at some point in next two months, hopefully not for all of the season.
I'm absolutely fine to wear a mask. But Boris is saying I'm going to have to quarantine for 2 days?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff

Where are you coming from?

If it's Ireland the answer is we'll have to wait and see. The rules for Ireland to UK were different to those for the rest of the world - basically there were no requirements for tests. If they stick to that philosophy then they might not introduce any rules, or might go halfway and ask for vaccinations.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I'm absolutely fine to wear a mask. But Boris is saying I'm going to have to quarantine for 2 days?
Ah right, you coming from over the water? Sorry didn't hear/read that. Possibly contact club and attempt refund if you don't fancy coming to game given how short term this has all become again.

diarm

Ah right, you coming from over the water? Sorry didn't hear/read that. Possibly contact club and attempt refund if you don't fancy coming to game given how short term this has all become again.
Yeah sorry, flying over from Dublin with a mate, then I'm taking the train down to London and the missus was supposed to be flying over on Friday morning for a dirty weekend and some Christmas shopping etc.

Already spent a fortune on hotels and the usual nonsense. This is going to be a bloody nightmare.