SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Ady87

I've been eating mackerel and salmon every day since 2016 for Omega 3. Since the pandemic started I haven't had so much as a cold. I am unvaccinated. I have heard people talk about Vitamin D. Recently I googled Vitamin D food sources and found this on NHS

Sources include:

• oily fish – such as salmon, sardines, herring and mackerel
  • red meat
  • liver
  • egg yolks
  • fortified foods – such as some fat spreads and breakfast cereals

Does this mean anything at all? Have I got a good immune system? Or am I just really lucky?

If Omicron is mild and becomes the dominant variant, please explain why people still want me to be vaccinated?
For me it boils down to 3 things.

1) Stops me getting sick or potentially severely sick even though I’m a young healthy person.
2) Stops me picking it up and spreading it to people that would be in deep shit if they caught it.
3) I do my bit in stopping new variants developing because that happens when transmission is high and vaccination combats that transmission.

Please anyone set me straight if I’m off the mark on the third point.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I've been eating mackerel and salmon every day since 2016 for Omega 3. Since the pandemic started I haven't had so much as a cold. I am unvaccinated. I have heard people talk about Vitamin D. Recently I googled Vitamin D food sources and found this on NHS

Sources include:

• red meat
  • liver
  • egg yolks

Does this mean anything at all? Have I got a good immune system? Or am I just really lucky?

If Omicron is mild and becomes the dominant variant, please explain why people still want me to be vaccinated?
It means nothing.

You’re not even particularly lucky. Social distancing completely suppressed the usual colds and flus last winter. They’re coming back this time round but mainly spreading in schools. So unless you have kids/hang out with kids then you’re probably avoiding them again. People have got pretty good about not coming into work or going out on the piss with a heavy cold so chances are we’ll all have much fewer viral illnesses from now on.

As for covid, even though cases have been extremely high for a while now it doesn’t take much luck to avoid coming in contact with it. We’re still just about at the stage where you would be considered unlucky to end up in close proximity with a covid case.

Because you’re not vaccinated your luck will be seriously tested if/when you do come in contact with covid. It’s a hell of a lot more likely to put you in intensive care than someone who is vaccinated. Even if they’ve never had an omega 3 or vitamin D supplement in their life.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder

Sources include:

• red meat
  • liver
  • egg yolks

Do or do not, covid is no lie.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

Sources include:

• red meat
  • liver
  • egg yolks

I’ve driven a lot but have never been involved in a car crash. I too wondered if I was fortunate, or whether the risk of car crashes was just good ol’ media hysteria, but I then realised it all comes down to my spectacular eyesight fortified by all of the essential vitamins I take. I now feel emboldened to take as many risks on the road as I feel like because I’m practically superhuman.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I’ve driven a lot but have never been involved in a car crash. I too wondered if I was fortunate, or whether the risk of car crashes was just good ol’ media hysteria, but I then realised it all comes down to my spectacular eyesight fortified by all of the essential vitamins I take. I now feel emboldened to take as many risks on the road as I feel like because I’m practically superhuman.
:lol:

I did a parachute jump once and didn’t die. Either the MSM are lying about the risk of jumping out of aeroplanes or the full Irish breakfast I had that morning has powerful life saving properties.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.

Fingers crossed.
Humanity has been extremely fortunate that this appears to be heading towards natural herd immunity through mass infection with mild disease. It could have been so much worse

0le

There is a queue to book/ manage an appointment online in the UK:

You are in a queue
Lots of people are trying to book an appointment.

You are number 101 in the queue. Your estimated wait time is about 5 minutes.
You can continue to wait or try again later.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
The news coming out of South Africa is getting more and more encouraging every day. They may even have already reached the peak of their omicron wave.
Would be really good news to start off 2022 with, let's hope so but a few weeks behind them of course.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Natural sheep reponse ;)
Ha - I'm booked in for the 30th but my brother is this week and younger than me - I had covid 30 odd days ago mind so that might explain it. I'd just get it as soon as possible that's all if it were available.

Keep well people.

BlueHaze

I got covid in mid March and havn't gotten vaccinated. I'm not sure what to think. Perhaps someone who has gotten the jab could offer an opinion? It puts me off when I constantly hear even fully vaccinated people get hospitalized and can get pretty sick too. I don't know what to do. I take good care of myself but I'm a little suspect about the efffects of this vaccine. I havn't seen any reduction in spreading of the virus since the vaccine was launched, actually it's probably spreading worse?

The fact that you have to inject this 3 times into your body makes me anxious.

Traub

I got covid in mid March and havn't gotten vaccinated. I'm not sure what to think. Perhaps someone who has gotten the jab could offer an opinion? It puts me off when I constantly hear even fully vaccinated people get hospitalized and can get pretty sick too. I don't know what to do. I take good care of myself but I'm a little suspect about the efffects of this vaccine. I havn't seen any reduction in spreading of the virus since the vaccine was launched, actually it's probably spreading worse?

If you get vaccinated now, you’ll probably have the best protection possible. We go for it!

choccy77

Made me wait until 29th for my booster, yet my friend simply went online yesterday and has his next week.

Bloody stupid as I booked 3 weeks ago for earliest available date

choccy77

Check what it can offer you if you ask it to rearrange the booking. It gives you a limited look at availability before you actually cancel.
I could just change to another location and get it done quicker.

I know when I had my originally jabs, they told me that people were just walking in without appointments

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
:lol:

I did a parachute jump once and didn’t die. Either the MSM are lying about the risk of jumping out of aeroplanes or the full Irish breakfast I had that morning has powerful life saving properties.
That checks out. I always knew potato bread was magical!

If the concern is about risk, the main question to ask is how likely are you to suffer severe illness from the vaccine, vs. how likely are you to suffer severe illness from covid - with and without the vaccine? It resonates more if you find out that information for yourself rather than hearing it from someone with an alternative perspective. That one has a really clear-cut answer.

Bosws87

A bit confusing when the headline says “study suggests surge in deaths”. Not sure what we’re supposed to think?
Thats based on the modelling from UK experts which has been nothing short of miles off everytime, the lady speaking is the actual reality.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Thats based on the modelling from UK experts which has been nothing short of miles off everytime, the lady speaking is the actual reality.
It’s the actual reality in South Africa. The big unknown is whether the experience will be similar in countries with (for example) a much higher % of elderly/vulnerable people. And that’s where the modelling comes in. Taking real life data from another country and plugging into a model based on demographics in the UK.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Is there anything about immunity against Omicron for those who have had covid?

Small sample of course, but my mum works at a GP surgery. All staff are triple jabbed - and last week 3 of them caught covid except for my mum who has just seen her negative PCR return. My mum and one other colleague (who also just had a negative PCR) are the only two who had covid last winter.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
It really hasn't. Modelling warns you about what happens if you change nothing. In real life when the numbers in the model got too hairy we went into various degrees of restrictions or lockdowns. More surprising perhaps people sometimes react faster than the government does - like the PL stopping playing before they were told to or the companies who've decided to change/postpone their Christmas parties this month.

The modellers know there are things they can't predict so they state that in the model. Just like that original Imperial College model said "if you do nothing, 500 thousand die." It didn't happen because we didn't do nothing.

Bosws87

It really hasn't. Modelling warns you about what happens if you change nothing. In real life when the numbers in the model got too hairy we went into various degrees of restrictions or lockdowns. More surprising perhaps people sometimes react faster than the government does - like the PL stopping playing before they were told to or the companies who've decided to change/postpone their Christmas parties this month.

The modellers know there are things they can't predict so they state that in the model. Just like that original Imperial College model said "if you do nothing, 500 thousand die." It didn't happen because we didn't do nothing.
they have modelled it on the severity of delta which the data is painting a clear picture this isn’t the case

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Is there anything about immunity against Omicron for those who have had covid?

Small sample of course, but my mum works at a GP surgery. All staff are triple jabbed - and last week 3 of them caught covid except for my mum who has just seen her negative PCR return. My mum and one other colleague (who also just had a negative PCR) are the only two who had covid last winter.
Some good evidence that vaccine +infection works very well against infection and some that recent infection works against infection provided you were ill enough to develop plenty of antibodies. From SA it looks like (at least in the under 60s) vaccines and/or past infection are both protective against severe disease.