SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

BlueHaze

I have an oximeter. 2 days ago I was registering 99, today 97/96. At what point if it continued to drop should I be concerned?

if i take a reading lying down it actually says 96. The others are from sitting up straight
97/96 is fine. The moment it drops to let say 92 then you should immediately contact health provider for info/assistance. When my dad cought it a month ago it dropped from 97 to 92 but it was all fine so don't be too alarmed. I'd say the number one rule is that if you feel you start breathing more heavily then there could be a serious issue.

BlueHaze

If Masks and vaccines stop transmission, how did France end up with the highest global per capita case load this year?

Not only did they have vaccine passports well before but also a strictly enforced indoor and outdoor mask mandate.
Problem is majority of people do not use FFP2/FFP3 masks which are proven to both protect the user by giving you a significantly less viral load if you unfortunately do catch it with a mask on while at the same time also minimizing spread. Most people use those regular masks which are pretty much completelty useless and was never designed to protect against air transmittable viruses in the first place.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Vaccines work very well, especially if you are older:

It’s pretty shocking what’s going on in Hong Kong and what might yet happen in China. A virus that is almost completely defanged in Europe could cause mortality in those countries that is even worse than the first covid waves over here. Which is so crazy to think about.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
It’s pretty shocking what’s going on in Hong Kong and what might yet happen in China. A virus that is almost completely defanged in Europe could cause mortality in those countries that is even worse than the first covid waves over here. Which is so crazy to think about.
Is is their genetics then?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Is is their genetics then?
Not at all. Very poor vaccination coverage (with a relatively ineffective vaccine) and no prior exposure to the virus means they’ve huge numbers of people who are completely vulnerable.

EDIT: And worse than our first wave because omicron is many times more contagious than OG covid (although slightly less virulent).

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Not at all. Very poor vaccination coverage (with a relatively ineffective vaccine) and no prior exposure to the virus means they’ve huge numbers of people who are completely vulnerable.

EDIT: And worse than our first wave because omicron is many times more contagious than OG covid (although slightly less virulent).
Shitstorm for them so. Looks like our strategy was better - tedious as it was

Traub

I don't think it's less virulent than the original strain, just that the rest of us have immunity from Alpha, Beta and Delta. They should get Pfizer boosters rolled out ASAP.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I don't think it's less virulent than the original strain, just that the rest of us have immunity from Alpha, Beta and Delta. They should get Pfizer boosters rolled out ASAP.
The immunity (from vaccines and/or prior variants) is big factor but I’m fairly certain they’ve worked out that omicron is less virulent than other recent variants. I think it’s somewhere between original strain and alpha/delta.

hmchan

Cases in Hong Kong dropping, probably due to people's reluctancy to report their RAT positive results.

Lj82

So I’ve defeated the ‘rona. Massive anticlimax after waiting two years for it. 24 hours scratchy throat/tickly nose and that’s all she wrote. Feel 100% normal now. Currently regretting getting tested/telling anyone as I have to self-isolate until next weekend. If I hadn’t tested myself I could get out and about from 48 hours after symptoms resolve. So basically Tuesday. Seriously stupid guidance if you ask me.
Next weekend? How long do you have to isolate for? Over here if we test positive on ART, we just need to isolate for 3 days and rest again. Free to end isolation is negative after 3 days

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I finally got it. My wife had it first, we thought this was just common cold but got a test today anyway and it came back positive. I started feeling a bit off in the morning and it has gone to feeling properly bad right now - feeling cold, annoying cough, running nose. It’s just 3 months after my booster jab so hopefully it does its job and I am better tomorrow. My wife actually did not get booster so her Pfizer from 9 months ago would probably not work all that great anymore.

We did two rapid home tests each and they aren’t supposed to be super accurate but 4/4 + symptoms feels right. I may go for PCR/antigen tomorrow but problem is I work from home and can’t really afford to miss full week right now, which will happen if I get registered, so would probably just prefer to self isolate until I come back negative. Extremely annoying you have to be off work even if you are feeling OK.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Next weekend? How long do you have to isolate for? Over here if we test positive on ART, we just need to isolate for 3 days and rest again. Free to end isolation is negative after 3 days
7 days.

It’s quite fecked up really. The official guidance is not to test at all if <55. Just self isolate until 48 hours after symptoms resolve. If you don’t follow that guidance and end up with a positive test (which I did, because I was curious!) you have to isolate for 7 days. Basically incentivising not getting tested!

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
7 days.

It’s quite fecked up really. The official guidance is not to test at all if <55. Just self isolate until 48 hours after symptoms resolve. If you don’t follow that guidance and end up with a positive test (which I did, because I was curious!) you have to isolate for 7 days. Basically incentivising not getting tested!
Same here. I live outside of the city and can isolate quite easily though, the only time I need to go out is is 2-3 walks per day with my dog.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
&quot;like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Same here. I live outside of the city and can isolate quite easily though, the only time I need to go out is is 2-3 walks per day with my dog.
I live in the city and am antisocial enough that I don’t mind isolating. I still walk my dog though. Outdoors, not near anyone. The only downside is not doing the indoor climbing I usually do a few times a week. No biggy though.

Dan-Utd

Back in December it was... 'get boosted now' a plan to get everyone whose last vaccine was over 3 months ago boosted by the end of December.

Right now we are in March, we know that much less testing is taking place, we know there is a new variant called Deltacron spreading and we know infections are rising due to no masks, no distancing and whatever other rules there was being scrapped.

If in December 3 months was enough time for vaccine protection to begin to fade, hence giving it a wee boost - what about right now? will peoples vaccine protection be fading without them knowing? and with no masks/distancing they have an increased chance of getting infected?

Watching Sky News is great these days, pretty much no mention of Covid-19 at all, you'd think it had just gone away as it's all Ukraine, Ukraine, Ukraine... I just hope countries taking their eye off the ball doesn't result in the future return of restrictions.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Shitstorm for them so. Looks like our strategy was better - tedious as it was
Severe suppression or even eradication was only ever to give you time to vaccinate as many people as possible. Covid is now running fee in Australia but as we have 95% of adults vaccinated (and 60% with 3 shots) and so many in the 5-16 age groups vaccinate that we have vaccinated 85% of the entire population (including the U5s who currently aren't being vaccinated). Accordingly our deaths are relatively low - 20/30 per day typically.

lynchie

Back in December it was... 'get boosted now' a plan to get everyone whose last vaccine was over 3 months ago boosted by the end of December.

Right now we are in March, we know that much less testing is taking place, we know there is a new variant called Deltacron spreading and we know infections are rising due to no masks, no distancing and whatever other rules there was being scrapped.

If in December 3 months was enough time for vaccine protection to begin to fade, hence giving it a wee boost - what about right now? will peoples vaccine protection be fading without them knowing? and with no masks/distancing they have an increased chance of getting infected?

Watching Sky News is great these days, pretty much no mention of Covid-19 at all, you'd think it had just gone away as it's all Ukraine, Ukraine, Ukraine... I just hope countries taking their eye off the ball doesn't result in the future return of restrictions.
This is quite a nice illustration of the antibody wall we have in place. Yes, there's some initial signs of waning in older age groups, but we're starting from a much better position than pre-December.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Got a positive test this morning, that’s all five in my household now positive. Covid is ripping through Dublin schools right now.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Got a positive test this morning, that’s all five in my household now positive. Covid is ripping through Dublin schools right now.
Full house here too. My other half held out the longest but we’re four from four as of today. Weirdly, the kids have fared worse than the adults. Daughter had 48 hours very high fevers, son has a nasty barking cough. Both the adults just had/have mild head colds. Needless to say the wife was gaslighting the hell out of my symptoms. Looking forward to doing the same to her over the next few days.

I have an oximeter. 2 days ago I was registering 99, today 97/96. At what point if it continued to drop should I be concerned?

if i take a reading lying down it actually says 96. The others are from sitting up straight
NHS advice is 95 or above is fine. 93 or 94 keep an eye on it and call a doctor if it doesn't get better in an hour. 92 or below go to hospital.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Full house here too. My other half held out the longest but we’re four from four as of today. Weirdly, the kids have fared worse than the adults. Daughter had 48 hours very high fevers, son has a nasty barking cough. Both the adults just had/have mild head colds. Needless to say the wife was gaslighting the hell out of my symptoms. Looking forward to doing the same to her over the next few days.
Are we looking at a new variant or is it just the expected uptick from relaxing of restrictions like Javid said we should be expecting here?

It looks to me like a new surge, I’m wondering if it’s an Omicron variant and we’re now in a position where health services won’t be overwhelmed if it’s left to “rip through the population” so they’re not going with the messaging this time and letting it play out without too much media coverage?

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Yeah my 6 and 3 year-olds had 24 hours of 38-40 degree fevers but seem completely over it now. I was most concerned about our 7-month old testing positive but she has handled it best. Wife’s been in bed pretty much for two days straight with pounding headache, I’m wondering if the fact she’s still breast-feeding might mean she’s kind of taking on the main impact of the baby’s illness on top of her own?

I’ve the start of a niggling cough, nothing else so far.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Are we looking at a new variant or is it just the expected uptick from relaxing of restrictions like Javid said we should be expecting here?

It looks to me like a new surge, I’m wondering if it’s an Omicron variant and we’re now in a position where health services won’t be overwhelmed if it’s left to “rip through the population” so they’re not going with the messaging this time and letting it play out without too much media coverage?
I think the jury’s still out on what’s driving this but it’s unlikely to be the relaxing of restrictions as they’ve been pretty relaxed for a while now and there’s been no major recent change to explain such a dramatic surge. A lot of people are suggesting that BA2 is (even) more contagious than original omicron so that could be what’s pushed past the tipping point. It’s difficult to be certain as testing/surveillance isn’t as rigorous as it used to be.

Based on experience of friends/family this surge seems to be almost a “mopping up” process. I’m not hearing about any reinfections from anyone who got hit in the first part of the omicron wave earlier this year. It seems to be mainly finding people who’ve avoided covid so far (people like me!) which is maybe a good thing? A natural booster program, if you will. So long as the ICUs remain as empty as they are now there doesn’t seem to be much to worry about.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It's nuts right now, we've both had it and it feels like everyone I know who hadn't gotten it already is getting it. Luckily I don't know anyone who's had any symptoms that have been more serious than "flu-like". Feels like a good thing now, we'll be at herd immunity soon through a mix of boosters and it blasting through the population, all the while our ICU numbers are dropping.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I think the jury’s still out on what’s driving this but it’s unlikely to be the relaxing of restrictions as they’ve been pretty relaxed for a while now and there’s been no major recent change to explain such a dramatic surge. A lot of people are suggesting that BA2 is (even) more contagious than original omicron so that could be what’s pushed past the tipping point. It’s difficult to be certain as testing/surveillance isn’t as rigorous as it used to be.

Based on experience of friends/family this surge seems to be almost a “mopping up” process. I’m not hearing about any reinfections from anyone who got hit in the first part of the omicron wave earlier this year. It seems to be mainly finding people who’ve avoided covid so far (people like me!) which is maybe a good thing? A natural booster program, if you will. So long as the ICUs remain as empty as they are now there doesn’t seem to be much to worry about.
That sounds about right. I’ve avoided it so far, or at least never had a positive test so I guess it’s imminent for me. Triple vaxxed so can’t say I’m too worried about it anymore and as nobody else where’s a mask where I live I’ve stopped bothering too as I’ve only ever really worn it for the sake of others.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
3 lateral flows this past week negative.
I have an ongoing cough, sniffles, sore throat, sore head, have had tummy issues, feel a bit fluey overall. So far about a week.

but it could be just a regular cold, as i haven’t had a bad one in a few years for obvious reasons
I had sore throat and treated with whiskey + lemon juice and honey, I demolished a bottle even I had sore throat for 2 days :) weeks later I’m coughing but that’s allergies.

Pickle85

Just tested positive today for the first time. Amazed I've dodged it to date, tbh. Really annoying cough and sore throat, along with pretty mild flu like symptoms. I thought it was just a bad hangover on Monday (unusually heavy weekend) but when the cough reared is head, I suspected otherwise and test seems to have confirmed, though the line was very light.

mitChley

Just tested positive today for the first time. Amazed I've dodged it to date, tbh. Really annoying cough and sore throat, along with pretty mild flu like symptoms. I thought it was just a bad hangover on Monday (unusually heavy weekend) but when the cough reared is head, I suspected otherwise and test seems to have confirmed, though the line was very light.
I'm in the same boat but haven't tested positive. Was out Sunday, hungover and rough yesterday, then still didn't feel great when I woke up today. This afternoon I've developed a headache, sore throat and a persistent cough/need to clear my throat. Two lateral flows and still negative so could just be a cold.

Adamsk7

My partner, her sister and three colleagues have all tested positive within the last week. All unrelated to each other. I think if you’re out living life (as you should) and you haven’t had it, it’s pretty much a certainty at this point.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Cases rising pretty quickly in the UK it seems - presume not equating to overly serious cases, but worth keeping an eye on?

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Avoided it all the time, until now. Got me on last day of holiday in Cornwall. Spotted something not quite being right immediately, separated myself and tested for the inevitable. Everyone else in the family testing negative so long may that continue. Just annoying headaches so far. Sigh.

Traub

With two J&J's definitely. Even if just for increasing broadness of immunity, added to the better efficacy of Phizer.
Thanks.

My vaccine sequencing has been a bit strange: 6 month wait between first and second J&J, and now 4 months since my second J&J. I'm wondering whether I should wait till the 6 month mark again, or should I just go for the booster now? Note the omicron wave has peaked where I live (South Africa).

Any advice would be welcome.

mitChley

I'm in the same boat but haven't tested positive. Was out Sunday, hungover and rough yesterday, then still didn't feel great when I woke up today. This afternoon I've developed a headache, sore throat and a persistent cough/need to clear my throat. Two lateral flows and still negative so could just be a cold.
Tested positive this morning. Wife works in a hospital so has had to go and do a PCR and assuming its negative I'll be hiding upstairs in my office and a sleeping bag for the next 5ish days!

backofthenet

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's not the messiah... he's a very naughty boy
Avoided it for 2 years and then pick it up now. Stinking head cold symptoms, but not a lot else fortunately. My colleague had 10 days of positive LFTs, which I'm hoping I don't have. So far family have tested negative, so I'm setting up shop in the downstairs office with the sofa bed and the xbox

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Thanks.

My vaccine sequencing has been a bit strange: 6 month wait between first and second J&J, and now 4 months since my second J&J. I'm wondering whether I should wait till the 6 month mark again, or should I just go for the booster now? Note the omicron wave has peaked where I live (South Africa).

Any advice would be welcome.
Definitely don’t wait. Omicron peaked in Europe last month but we’re heading into another huge wave with a new variant of omicron (BA2) which could well hit you guys in the next few weeks.