Saudi sports minister gives update on buying club from Glazers

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Not this old “canard” again.
The Glazers are American but they are not America. They do not represent the actions of the US government.
The Saudi regime is a dictatorship. They simply are not comparable with the Glazers.
The Glazers are backers of Donald Trump so its safe to say they dont have any issues with his actions.

Karlos PFC

Well your government does protect them, make special excemptions for them (democracy rights etc). The USA jumps to becomes the world moral police if you have oil, are a dictator, and aren't selling your oil to the US on their terms. However if you have oil, are a dictator and are selling it to the US on their terms - everything is hunky dory.

How long with the House of Saud last if they faced the same sanctions as Iran - an equally repressive regime? What about Israel? Just because they elect the people who oppress the Palestinians, does that mean they should avoid the sanctions the world placed on South Africa or Zimbabwe.

Your govt can't wash their blood/oil soaked hands of their role in this. All around the world your government supports evil, as long as said evil-doers are friends of American interests in the region. It's not hard to see why people hate your government if you take off your stars and stripes tinted sunglasses.
My point exactly, thank you.

May I add how Trump supported MBS about Jamal Khashoggi.

My point and question which hasn’t been addressed is: show me one piece of evidence that links the Glazers to international terrorism and the suppression of human rights generally? You can’t!
Here, I'll make it easy for you. Read the bold part

If you can use Google you could find tons of infos about the connections between the Glazers and the Republican party.

I'm not suggesting that the Glazers sold guns directly to the Saudis.
I just said about infos about the connections like fundraisers, support presidential campaign through donations and such.
Even added a second line to make it clearer.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Why is this thread alive again. Did something happen that I missed?
Yeah, there's been nothing to this for ages. All it is is the same old rubbish repeated ad-infinitum. Can we close it?

Zlatattack

It's also your government

I agree. The UK acts as America's wagging tail when it comes to foreign policy.

The Glazers, aren't good people (I think most billionaires aren't, they get to where they are by screwing people over}. They can't be compared to the Saudi royals who are multiple levels worse. However I do wonder why some Americans fail to see their own governments role in the support of people like the Saudis and others.

This approach to foreign policy is why people hate the American governments. Audiences which Hollywood has won over with the portrayal of the American dream, still hate the govt and their policies because of their impact on them.

I personally would prefer less evil billionaire owners, but I'd the Saudis were in charge I wouldn't be bothered as long as they were playing fantasy football.

Does that make me a bad person? Maybe, more than likely even - or at the least it's a bad choice. I prefer to see myself as a pragmatist. The Saudis aren't going anywhere, they're squandering the rights of the Saudi people anyway - might as well chuck a few billion our way.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
My point exactly, thank you.

May I add how Trump supported MBS about Jamal Khashoggi.

So there isn’t any.

Here, I'll make it easy for you. Read the bold part

I just said about infos about the connections like fundraisers, support presidential campaign through donations and such.
Even added a second line to make it clearer.

Inigo Montoya

I agree. The UK acts as America's wagging tail when it comes to foreign policy.

The Glazers, aren't good people (I think most billionaires aren't, they get to where they are by screwing people over}. They can't be compared to the Saudi royals who are multiple levels worse. However I do wonder why some Americans fail to see their own governments role in the support of people like the Saudis and others.

This approach to foreign policy is why people hate the American governments. Audiences which Hollywood has won over with the portrayal of the American dream, still hate the govt and their policies because of their impact on them.

I personally would prefer less evil billionaire owners, but I'd the Saudis were in charge I wouldn't be bothered as long as they were playing fantasy football.

Does that make me a bad person? Maybe, more than likely even - or at the least it's a bad choice. I prefer to see myself as a pragmatist. The Saudis aren't going anywhere, they're squandering the rights of the Saudi people anyway - might as well chuck a few billion our way.
Of course the welfare of our football team is of such paramount importance that it overrides the human rights of thousands of ordinary people.

Doesn’t make you a bad person just sadly an indifferent one.

matt10000

The Saudis aren't going anywhere, they're squandering the rights of the Saudi people anyway - might as well chuck a few billion our way.
If only people had shown the same solidarity towards the South African apartheid system then maybe they would have changed......

Zlatattack

Of course the welfare of our football team is of such paramount importance that it overrides the human rights of thousands of ordinary people.

Doesn’t make you a bad person just sadly an indifferent one.
If only people had shown the same solidarity towards the South African apartheid system then maybe they would have changed......

This is the thing though - nobody is sanctioning Saudi. in fact BDS tried to boycott Israel for their genocide of the Palestinians and the British and American governments have started working against the group.

Eric's Seagull

I would like to see us get bought but I would not want us to be bought by the Saudis.

But can someone suggest anyone who

A) Has the money to be able to afford to buy us
B) Would be would be willing part with that many billions and
C) Doesn't have a dodgy background please?

I can't think of any individual/organisation who fits all these categories or would it be better for them to sell off large chunks to various individuals/organisations? It looks like we are going to be stuck with the Glazers until they decide they feel it is the right time to pull out.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I would like to see us get bought but I would not want us to be bought by the Saudis.

But can someone suggest anyone who

A) Has the money to be able to afford to buy us
B) Would be would be willing part with that many billions and
C) Doesn't have a dodgy background please?

I can't think of any individual/organisation who fits all these categories or would it be better for them to sell off large chunks to various individuals/organisations? It looks like we are going to be stuck with the Glazers until they decide they feel it is the right time to pull out.
Warren Buffet?
Berkshire Hathaway owned?

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
Are you defending Hitler? You're going to open up a whole different can of worms here. PS what's the point of heaven and hell if everything is supposed to be Disneyland on Earth? It's a temporary test and nothing will go unpunished if you've been an evil cnut especially. But anyway going way off topic, no further comment...
:lol:

Inigo Montoya

I'm by no means a Saudi apologist. I'm just saying the US are just as bad just in different ways. They're in no position to take any moral high ground over any oppressive regime.
It was hardly the debate in question. Some here equated the Glazers with The Saudis. It’s rubbish and you know it.

If you want to compare the two administrations then that’s the subject of a different debate.

For the record, whether you like it or not The US is still a democracy.

Saudi Arabia isn’t.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
It was hardly the debate in question. Some here equated the Glazers with The Saudis. It’s rubbish and you know it.

If you want to compare the two administrations then that’s the subject of a different debate.

For the record, whether you like it or not The US is still a democracy.

Saudi Arabia isn’t.
Yeah a democracy built on corporate power-broking and full of corruption. So yeah, swings and roundabouts. You was the one putting the US on a pedestal, but yeah equating the Glazers with the Saudis is a bit dumb.

Inigo Montoya

Yeah a democracy built on corporate power-broking and full of corruption. So yeah, swings and roundabouts. You was the one putting the US on a pedestal, but yeah equating the Glazers with the Saudis is a bit dumb.
Show me where I put them on a pedestal.

Accusation based on no fact

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I think my moral inner compass so fecked up I'd rather see Hitler as the boss of Man Utd than Ed woodward.
You're going to be seriously limited in the transfer market though.

matt10000

Yes, unfortunately, due to human nature corruption is everywhere but the big difference between many democracies such as the USA/UK and many dictatorships such as House of Saud, is that in democracies the corrupt leaders can be held to account, leaders can be voted out of office, leaders serve the people instead of the people serving the leaders. No government is perfect, far from it, but you have to ask which is the least bad.

You see @RedPed the fundamental difference is that I can criticise my leaders on this forum and protest against them outside the houses of parliament without fear of being imprisoned or executed.

The number one responsibilty of a democratic government is to protect the people it governs which in some cases means it has to make foreign policy choices and do bad things and the choices are not always correct. BUT this is considerably less bad than a government that imprisons and executes its own innocent citizens for protesting, sexual preference,oppresses 50% of the population for being female and is unaccountable to its citizens.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Yes, unfortunately, due to human nature corruption is everywhere but the big difference between many democracies such as the USA/UK and many dictatorships such as House of Saud, is that in democracies the corrupt leaders can be held to account, leaders can be voted out of office, leaders serve the people instead of the people serving the leaders. No government is perfect, far from it, but you have to ask which is the least bad.

You see @RedPed the fundamental difference is that I can criticise my leaders on this forum and protest against them outside the houses of parliament without fear of being imprisoned or executed.

The number one responsibilty of a democratic government is to protect the people it governs which in some cases means it has to make foreign policy choices and do bad things and the choices are not always correct. BUT this is considerably less bad than a government that imprisons and executes its own innocent citizens for protesting, sexual preference,oppresses 50% of the population for being female and is unaccountable to its citizens.
Without derailing too much, I'm not up on the demographic but it's just that the Saudis do not have many black citizens? I don't see any difference with a government that enables the state sponsored oppression of minorities where the police can regularly hide behind a badge and use young black males for target practice and where innocent citizens are frequently imprisoned, kids regularly getting mown down in schools, minorities getting marginalised etc., etc. They're not even doing it in secret anymore and seem to be getting more brazen. And as for corrupt leaders being held to account. Well, the GOP certainly put that one to bed didn't they.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
This thread title needs changing to “random baseless speculation about ownership” or something, there’s been no actual comments or anything close to an “update” from anybody connected to Saudi for absolutely ages, it even ever.

stepic

Why were previous threads on this topic rightly closed (because there’s no actual news) and this one stays open? It’s worse than fake ITKs during transfer windows.

matt10000

Without derailing too much, I'm not up on the demographic but it's just that the Saudis do not have many black citizens? I don't see any difference with a government that enables the state sponsored oppression of minorities where the police can regularly hide behind a badge and use young black males for target practice and where innocent citizens are frequently imprisoned, kids regularly getting mown down in schools, minorities getting marginalised etc., etc. They're not even doing it in secret anymore and seem to be getting more brazen. And as for corrupt leaders being held to account. Well, the GOP certainly put that one to bed didn't they.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/28/us/springfield-police-black-men-fight-lawsuit.html

This is the diiference!

Yes there are good and bad people everywhere, there are racist people everywhere but the difference is that in the likes of the USA it is illegal and attempts will be made to prosecute if it can be proven.

As for the GOP, the people can choose to vote them out in the next election if they the majority feel that they are too corrupt! In Saudi the people don’t have this option

Last edited:

RedPed

Whatabouter.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/28/us/springfield-police-black-men-fight-lawsuit.html

This is the diiference!

Yes there are good and bad people everywhere, there are racist people everywhere but the difference is that in the likes of the USA it is illegal and attempts will be made to prosecute if it can be proven.
Come on now! You really think you should be using this as an example of how great things are? FOURTEEN officers indicted on assault and cover-up charges?? Should never have even happened in the first fecking place. And you know prosecutions don't always occur. Absolutely missing the point! For every 1 charged there's probably another 10 just doing their thing. Anyway, moving on.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
You're going to be seriously limited in the transfer market though.
I think we would have signed Eerling Haaland though. There's an aryan if i've ever seen one.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Yes people with different opinions about football on a football forum should not call each other idiots, after all it is football not life and death. However, the Saudi regime is a murderous dictatorship that executes and persecutes people for being female, homosexual, a protestor against the state........it is very much about life and death and so I can understand why people who support them on a public forum are branded idiots.
Idiots is being far to nice to them. I would immediately go to ignore. I want nothing to do with them. We cannot call City cheaters and plastics and carry on like that. We need Manchester United supporters not wan*ers, please.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I think the word people are looking for is ignorant, not idiot. Because their is a big difference if you know and support these people or do not know and support. Once educated on the subject I would say 99% of people are against discrimination, sexism, racism, genderism, ect.
Fair point, poster

Inigo Montoya

Idiots is being far to nice to them. I would immediately go to ignore. I want nothing to do with them. We cannot call City cheaters and plastics and carry on like that. We need Manchester United supporters not wan*ers, please.
Hear hear

AlexUTD

Good point.

People who turns a blind eye to governments who murders people, cause of no freedom of speech and no basic human rights because they want money from the cnuts. Are the biggest reason why this planet is fecked.

UDontMessWith24

The Saudis would not need to cheat to circumvent FFP and we’ve had plastic fans in the millions for quite a while now. Problem solved.

UDontMessWith24

Good point.

People who turns a blind eye to governments who murders people, cause of no freedom of speech and no basic human rights because they want money from the cnuts. Are the biggest reason why this planet is fecked.
Governments that murder outside of their own borders for oil are better?

UDontMessWith24

Not much better.

But atleast America have basic human rights and women have rights period.

America have done some fecked up things for oil, but Saudis take the cake.
By sheer number of innocent people killed they put the Saudis to shame it’s not even close. You should also look into how Saudi Arabia came to be in the first place.