Saudi Takeover - Claim deal done

Status
Not open for further replies.

edgar allan

Which I totally get. But my question is again, why would MBS want to buy United if they're is no positive gain for him? Maybe it is true then that MBS doesn't want to purchase United, maybe it is some other Saudi?!
As I said previously I think it is media BS and the price would be too high even for billionaires.

There could be a case for suggesting that they imagine it could help soften their public image, a diversion from dropping bombs on school buses.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I don't believe that image-washing works anyway (except perhaps in the case of those who directly benefit from the spending).

red thru&thru

As I said previously I think it is media BS and the price would be too high even for billionaires.

There could be a case for suggesting that they imagine it could help soften their public image, a diversion from dropping bombs on school buses.
This would be the most obvious to me. But a lot have already said, and it may have been yourself too (apologise if it wasn't you), that they are immune to scrutiny anyway. So I'm still not too sure what they gain out of purchasing United?

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
This would be the most obvious to me. But a lot have already said, and it may have been yourself too (apologise if it wasn't you), that they are immune to scrutiny anyway. So I'm still not too sure what they gain out of purchasing United?
They aren't immune to scrutiny, they are trying to diversify their economy and are trying hard to change their image to achieve that .

edgar allan

Everyone likes to be popular and loved, even representatives of genocidal regimes I guess.

starman

The stock was up 5% after hours on Friday, however only 200 shares were traded, i would expect a lot more volume were this

Josep Dowling

I highly doubt most will walk away from the club if the Saudis owned us. Once United started signing the best players and winning things again you will be back supporting the club.

Jibbs

Purely from investment point of view, United can be a shrewed purchase for a sovereign fund than investing billions in unproven startups like wework. About using United as marketing and propaganda vehicle, I think purchase of United will only increase the regime's media scrutiny and bring into limelight and public knowledge a lot of the problematic issues of that regime which are still not discussed. And I think may be this reason will deter them from buying United. Because lets be honest, no matter how much they pretend about progress, they are not going to mend their ways, they are an oppressive regime and will continue to be so, because that's how such regimes remain in power.

Reactions: SteveJ

red thru&thru

They aren't immune to scrutiny, they are trying to diversify their economy and are trying hard to change their image to achieve that .
And I agree with you on this. It is all about their image and they will do their damnedest to be accepted as Dubai have been.

red thru&thru

I highly doubt most will walk away from the club if the Saudis owned us. Once United started signing the best players and winning things again you will be back supporting the club.
Messi's wife has apparently shared an image of her boy in a United top...the wheels are already in motion! ;)

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Apparently the Saudi crown prince has decided to officially announce Saudi Aramco's IPO. Make of that what you will.

RedDevilRoshi

Starting to think this was more a trip by RA to agree a new sponsorship deal rather than an actual takeover.

A takeover this huge with the money involved would not be this much silent across all social media platforms here. Far from it. If it was true, then how on Earth would some random guy on LinkedIn be this much well informed that apparently a takeover of this magnitude has been agreed between the Glazers & the Saudi’s (if it was, but I seriously doubt it) but the journos who have close inside sources at the club not know Jack s*** about it. Just doesn’t tie up at all.

stevoc

My statement is, like someone has just replied to one of my above posts, that they feel fans who want this buyout from Saudis to happen is distasteful.

So my original point was aimed at them. Genuinely mate, if you still don't understand this, I don't mind direct messaging you and clarifying further, as I believe our conversation on this is adding no real substance to this post.
I definitely agree with you there mate.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
I don't believe that image-washing works anyway (except perhaps in the case of those who directly benefit from the spending).
Look at this thread Steve, people jumping over themselves to defend them. Would be even worse if they bought us. Football is innately tribal and people will rush to defend them as long as they are being seen as helping Manchester United, feck women, gay people or any other oppressed group in Saudi Arabia and everyone in Yemen, as long as we get to see United winning league titles again that's what is really important right?

Scotty McT

Look at this thread Steve, people jumping over themselves to defend them. Would be even worse if they bought us. Football is innately tribal and people will rush to defend them as long as they are being seen as helping Manchester United, feck women, gay people or any other oppressed group in Saudi Arabia and everyone in Yemen, as long as we get to see United winning league titles again that's what is really important right?
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...fans-defence-uae-sportswashing-tribal-loyalty

Here's Man City fans turning into experts on UAE law.

SteveJ

Scout
True, mate, but we would be direct beneficiaries - I was referring to people who wouldn't benefit. For them, and for the general public, the image-washing wouldn't...er...wash.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
What does this mean?
Saudi's state oil company is gonna get listed on a stock exchange (specifically, 2-5% of its shares). The big question is: what are they gonna do with the proceeds from selling those shares? What are they gonna invest in? Perhaps Manchester United, although very unlikely.

Giggsyking

I'm not sure about what you are trying to prove, he seems to be a football fan and potentially a fan of United.
He is a very known saudi journalist, he met the clubs representatives few days ago and he asked the Saudi invest fund about the truth of them buying the club but he said he couldnt get any information from them because the talks were confidential. Yes he is a utd fan too, but he was giving his advises to the Saudi investment fund to buy the club as a football/sport expert.

Godfather

Saudi's state oil company is gonna get listed on a stock exchange (specifically, 2-5% of its shares). The big question is: what are they gonna do with the proceeds from selling those shares? What are they gonna invest in? Perhaps Manchester United, although very unlikely.
The money involved is insane.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
True, mate, but we would be direct beneficiaries - I was referring to people who wouldn't benefit. For them, and for the general public, the image-washing wouldn't...er...wash.
The other interesting thing would be to effect of google searches. So instead of when you google about MBS and Saudi Arabia you get an article about how hes considering sacking Ole for losing to Plymouth rather than what journalist hes been killing in an embassy. See that done in politics far too often now, for instance if you goggle "Boris Johnson Bus", you might expect to see articles referring to his famous 350m big red bus. Instead you see how he apparently likes to make model bus's to relax.

Acquire Me

Most will stay on board, no doubt about that. In the end we all support United and not the owners. Business is business, owners come and go, but I would prefer other owners than those guys.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
They don’t need to raise money to buy United. Listing the state oil on the stock exchange is a move to both legitimise their business and protect it by wrapping up the a bunch of western money in it. That way if they get any pressure from anyone, it gives them an excuse to ask western governments favours.

f_to_z

I know there is a lot of controversy regarding the Saudi take-over. Many against it which I understand. I also have my reservations but i want to look at it pragmatically.

Lets imagine the deal is done. First thing is that we are getting rid of Woodward. That alone should be something good. After 6 years of being the man in charge hes clearly failed.

Second thing is that we are getting rid of leech owners which want to milk the club from all possible money and on the other hand getting owners which want to invest a lot, not looking for quick profits rather building up an empire and competing with fellow neighbors like Qatar (PSG owners) and UAE (City owners) in the sports sector. (They are competing in many sectors at the moment)

Third point is that if they follow the steps that their neighbor countries did by bringing the best of the best to run the club. Who knows how much success United can have with its financial power. Qatars PSG and UAEs City are very well run clubs, have a clear vision and you can see the improvement year after year.

Fourth point is Saudi is in a clear transition phase. Things are changing a lot there right now. I know its not to the level we all wish for but they might get there soon. There is change coming sooner or later.

Fifth point is this is the only and last Arab state capable of buying a club like United. If this deal is declined they might look somewhere else and buy another English club and United miss the chance once and for all.

I am sure there are negatives that come with the new owners. I just wanted to list the positives to have an optimistic view if this takeover really is happening.

red thru&thru

Aah oh ok. Thank you for clarifying. Journalist have stated that MBS would want to diverse their spending into culture, tourism, sports and entertainment. Will be interesting to watch how they do this.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
This tweet sheds a tinge of light, with a few possibilities,l including investing in Sport.

This does seem inevitable. The Saudis are making moves.

SteveJ

Scout
The other interesting thing would be to effect of google searches. So instead of when you google about MBS and Saudi Arabia you get an article about how hes considering sacking Ole for losing to Plymouth rather than what journalist hes been killing in an embassy. See that done in politics far too often now, for instance if you goggle "Boris Johnson Bus", you might expect to see articles referring to his famous 350m big red bus. Instead you see how he apparently likes to make model bus's to relax.
Yeah, good point, mate.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
New thread material for the Caf, "Rashford needs to stop focusing on his brand and start focusing on saving lives."
Order the JLINGZ limited edition blood stained executioner overall NOW! Available in a number of different colours and sizes, each piece comes with its own very personal history. The JLINGZ logo is taken from Jesse’s iconic celebration and has been quickly replicated by fans and dictators across the globe. The collection is a celebration of ready to wear extremist religious wear with occasional limited drops.

£70.00

red thru&thru

This tweet sheds a tinge of light, with a few possibilities,l including investing in Sport.

Yea, I've seen a similar line as well. Sports doesn't necessarily means United I know, as they have close links to one of the presidents of UEFA or FIFA. So they could be looking to invest that way somehow...Saudi WC?

Marcelinho87

Maybe all these journos are been put in the limelight by MBS to A) See the reaction and B) Put some pressure on the Glazers, maybe to lower the price?

red thru&thru

Maybe all these journos are been put in the limelight by MBS to A) See the reaction and B) Put some pressure on the Glazers, maybe to lower the price?
No idea of their motive but it surely is bizarre on how they keep on reporting on potential take over etc.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Three Journos with links to the Saudi's have either teased or fuelled takeover talk. I find that intriguing because in the past the lads in Saudi were silent and we didn't hear a murmur.

Roboc7

Who are you implying here?
It’s distasteful people want to be owned by the Saudi’s that they are desperate for someone with a tick on Twitter to be an ITK because they want owners with money.

Like I said people should look into what happens in Saudi Arabia, how people are treated there, what happened to a journalist for speaking out.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Three Journos with links to the Saudi's have either teased or fuelled takeover talk. I find that intriguing because in the past the lads in Saudi were silent and we didn't hear a murmur.
These aren’t the types to build hype using United’s name before buying out Sevilla or Napoli.

If they’re making noises about United, it’s because they want United and think they can get United because United is still the jewel in the crown of world football.

Status
Not open for further replies.