Saul Niguez | Extended contract with Atletico till 2026

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidmichael

Seen we've been linked with him AGAIN but don't know a great deal about him as I've not got to watch as much La Liga or even Champions League as I usually would due to family and work commitments.

With Herrera and Pogba in the team would Saul Niguez be potentially coming in as a long term replacement for Carrick ? Is he potentially an upgrade on Herrera ? I was under the impression Niguez was a deep lying playmaker that allowed Griezmann, Koke, Gabi and others to do their thing further forward.

ti vu

Seen we've been linked with him AGAIN but don't know a great deal about him as I've not got to watch as much La Liga or even Champions League as I usually would due to family and work commitments.

With Herrera and Pogba in the team would Saul Niguez be potentially coming in as a long term replacement for Carrick ? Is he potentially an upgrade on Herrera ? I was under the impression Niguez was a deep lying playmaker that allowed Griezmann, Koke, Gabi and others to do their thing further forward.
Gabi was the anchor man in their midfield for seasons. Saul is more of no 8. Last season he played mostly on the wing. Since United has been exciting to watch, and rewatch this season, I have less time to watch other teams so I too see less of Atletico to know what his regular role this season than few CL games and big Spainish league & cup fixture.

Nick.

Think he would be an upgrade on Herrera but not what we need right now.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
A brilliant all-rounder. Technically better than Herrera, but I'm not sure if he is good enough to push him out of the team.
Not a deep-lying playmaker, that's for sure.

JohnnyLaw

Think he would be an upgrade on Herrera but not what we need right now.
We're one injury from having to play Fellaini on a regular basis, another and what do we have left? I definitely think that we do need options in our central midfield.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
Saul is a fantastic midfielder. He was arguably the best midfielder in La Liga last season. He's got immense workrate, is extremely versatile and his technical ability is excellent but under appreciated - watch his goal against Bayern last season for an example.

If he's available we should sign him I'd say, José would love him. He's better than Herrera, although I like Ander too.

He's no Carrick replacement though, that's for sure.

Bwuk

We're one injury from having to play Fellaini on a regular basis, another and what do we have left? I definitely think that we do need options in our central midfield.
This. Having the option between Saul, Herrera and Pogba would be a good option to have.

Especially when you think next season Bastian, Schneiderlin and Fellaini will probably be gone. Need more numbers.

SirAF

Ageist
This would be so amazing that I almost can't dare to hope, but then again I thought the same about Mourinho and Pogba last spring.. And, no disrespect to Atletico, but both Saul and Griezmann should play for a bigger club - and we got the money to make it happen :drool:

United Pro

We currently have Carrick, Herrera, Pogba, Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin, Fellaini and even Fosu-Mensah who can play CM. 3 of those players mentioned are likely to leave this window or in the summer, so I reckon we'll be 1 short of ideal in terms of squad numbers. The main problem currently is who plays if Carrick is not and Saul this season has been playing in a 2 man pivot system in midfield or the right wing. So if Mourinho is interested in signing Saul, it's probably because he wants to switch back to a 2 man midfield (4-2-3-1?)

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Not a Carrick replacement so not sure why we need him with Herrera and Pogba - None of those 3 deserve the bench.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Saul and Herrera would play as a 2 man midfield or Herrera goes permanent anchor man. Third option is as a direct replacement for Herrera and we get another CDM in and he comes in as a rotation option.

One thing is for sure.. Niguez and Pogba would be starters and what a pair of players to have in your midfield.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Love him but can't get my head around it. I'm not sure he's that much of an upgrade on the way Herrera has played this season to spend €60m.
He's certainly not going to displace Pogba and he's definitely not going to replace Carrick. He's not a DM, not by a long shot.

Prodigal7

I'd prefer to think of him as Schneiderlins replacement in the squad. Mourinho can decide where he would perform best for the team but he's brilliant anywhere across the midfield and I think he would also be a big upgrade on Herrera.

RyRy11

Really loved seeing his performances over the past two seasons but we need to be looking at Carrick replacements

cyberman

Not a Carrick replacement so not sure why we need him with Herrera and Pogba - None of those 3 deserve the bench.
He's better than Herrera.
It's the Lindelof situation all over again. Is it worth the money to upgrade an already excellent player and I think it is.
Plus we can play all 3 v the weaker sides in the league. Everybody would get enough gametime.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not watched enough of him this season but he was fantastic last season. However he's more of a Herrera alternative/replacement as opposed to that of Carrick's. His strengths to me seem to be his well rounded ness, strength, running power and dynamism and not his ability to build attacks from deeps or his pin point passing.

amolbhatia50k

If we were going to play 433 moving forwards then a dm with saul on the right and pogba on the left would be pretty awesome

Can see him staying at athletico though
He's left footed.

amolbhatia50k

Yeah we badly need a CM given Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin are not wanted by Jose. Fellaini is pretty much second choice now which is scary given how poor he is.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He's better than Herrera.
It's the Lindelof situation all over again. Is it worth the money to upgrade an already excellent player and I think it is.
Plus we can play all 3 v the weaker sides in the league. Everybody would get enough gametime.
He is better but is he THAT much better to spend £50m (or whatever it will be)

All that being said I won't complain too much if he does come in because he is very good and not yet at his peak.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Perfect midfield all-rounder for United - presses, passes well, has good tactical intelligence, and comes us with corkers in decisive moments. Top European clubs play something in the region of 60 matches over the course of a season, so it would be prudent for United to build some competition and depth for the two midfield spots ahead of the 6. Any time we play without Herrera or move him to 6, there's a distinct effect on the dynamics of the team - which can be problematic against opposition teams that are tougher than Middlesbrough. Really worry about the overall balance if Pogba or Herrera get sidelined with long term injuries - which necessitates additional contingency measures.

Three top players for two positions isn't that much - eg. Juventus had Vidal, Pogba, and Marchisio for 2 positions ahead of Pirlo, and that unit was a real area of strength for the team, as was the defense. Sign Saúl, sign a proper Carrick replacement (Paredes/Weigl), and we'll have the personnel for sustained midfield dominance for the next decade. Chemistry can be build over time, but if Pogba and Saúl strike up a symbiotic understanding - that could be an era defining tandem over the next ~8 years, IMO.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
I have never understood this guy. What type of player is he? Who is he comparable to? I've never understood what makes him so valuable.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I have never understood this guy. What type of player is he? Who is he comparable to? I've never understood what makes him so valuable.
Probably his teammate Koke, or Ander Herrera. All three are very similar players; all-action, gritty players with good mobility, as well as the typical Spanish close control under pressure and first touch. Saul is probably the best on on the ball in terms of dribbling. Remember this goal?
He's also very versatile. I'm sure he started his career on loan at Rayo(?) at CB, and since returning to Atletico has played CM, DM, and either wing.

Revan

Assumptionman
Imagine getting him and Weigl. In a couple of year, a midfield of him, Weigl and Pogba would be the best in the world.

But as others said, he is not a replacement for Carrick and Herrera is one of our best players. In the next 18 months we will need to get a new striker, a new midfielder (to replace Carrick), a new center back, probably a new right back (Valencia will be 33 by then), and a new left back if Shaw doesn't turn it around. If we go for absolute quality, then there is around 200-250m pounds on those transfers. Can we afford another 60m on him? Probably yes, but definitely not a priority.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Probably his teammate Koke, or Ander Herrera. All three are very similar players; all-action, gritty players with good mobility, as well as the typical Spanish close control under pressure and first touch. Saul is probably the best on on the ball in terms of dribbling. Remember this goal?
He's also very versatile. I'm sure he started his career on loan at Rayo(?) at CB, and since returning to Atletico has played CM, DM, and either wing.
Thanks. I do remember that goal, immense!

MounchesterUtd

He loves Atleti and is one of their key players already. Can't see this happening unfortunately. Closest thing to Keane from his generation IMO.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
He's left footed.
Ouch!

It has taken years for Ander to slot in and we are finally getting consistent great performances from him.

So now you guys want to sign an Herrera replacement, who doesn't at all address the Carrick replacement and actually is best used on Pogba's favoured side.

Awesome, I can see LvG going for that.

Oh wait...

Devil may care

Ouch!

It has taken years for Ander to slot in and we are finally getting consistent great performances from him.

So now you guys want to sign an Herrera replacement, who doesn't at all address the Carrick replacement and actually is best used on Pogba's favoured side.

Oh wait...
He's not best on Pogba's side, he's fine on both but on the RM side he can cut in on his stronger foot which is preferable. People aren't saying replace Ander, Invictus has outlined twice already, we are a huge football club expected to play 60 games a season on average, right now we have Ander and Pogba and that's it, we have no cover for any of the midfield 3 as we saw yesterday when we needed to put the lump in. A top side needs options not just starters, and the options need to be of the highest quality, like with Juve when Pogba, Vidal and Marchisio were the 3 options for the 2 #8 spots.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Ouch!

Oh wait...
He barely played on the left side, so he has nothing to do with Pogba and he is arguably better than Herrera which is a good thing since we lack depth at the CM position.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
He's not best on Pogba's side, he's fine on both but on the RM side he can cut in on his stronger foot which is preferable. People aren't saying replace Ander, Invictus has outlined twice already, we are a huge football club expected to play 60 games a season on average, right now we have Ander and Pogba and that's it, we have no cover for any of the midfield 3 as we saw yesterday when we needed to put the lump in. A top side needs options not just starters, and the options need to be of the highest quality, like with Juve when Pogba, Vidal and Marchisio were the 3 options for the 2 #8 spots.
He barely played on the left side, so he has nothing to do with Pogba and he is arguably better than Herrera which is a good thing since we lack depth at the CM position.
I get the depth issue, absolutely. Not at all clear a left-footed CM who can't hold really is the answer, class as he might be. Also, if depth is the main issue, you probably want a realistic January target.

By the way, cutting inside onto the stronger foot is relevant if we are talking about a wideman you want goals from. We are talking about a CM in a 4-3-3 here, goals would be a bonus but, in general, you would want the stronger foot being the outside, not inside, unless you are very two-footed (which, in fairness, is usually the case with lefties).

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I cant see herrera replacing carrick

JPRouve

Scout
I get the depth issue, absolutely. Not at all clear a left-footed CM who can't hold really is the answer, class as he might be. Also, if depth is the main issue, you probably want a realistic January target.

By the way, cutting inside onto the stronger foot is relevant if we are talking about a wideman you want goals from. We are talking about a CM in a 4-3-3 here, goals would be a bonus but, in general, you would want the stronger foot being the outside, not inside, unless you are very two-footed (which, in fairness, is usually the case with lefties).
You are trying to make things more complicated than they are, Saul plays on the right the same way a right footed player like Pogba can play on the left. Saul is good enough to take Herrera's place and he is talented enough to improve a lot, so he is definitely a good option and he is a summer signing.

And he can hold if needed, he can play Gabi's role to good standards.

Fraud

That goal against Bayern doesn't represent his nature at all. He's not good technically. His dribble ability is mediocre, actually. You guys keep comparing him with Herrera, who isn't Iniesta or Pogba, much less Redondo, but somehow he performs more successful dribbles per game than Saul(1.3 vs 0.9).

Obviously, Pogba plays in another league, but how Ñiguez is better than Ander in away that has a lot sense for us to spend more than 30 or 50 in him?

I know that this forum is a big fan of Squawka, so I made an interesting one sided comparison to show that I'm right even when I'm not:
https://abload.de/img/matrixmeme3bsty.jpg

So the amount of dribbles is how one judge a player?
No. If you saw my one sided comparison, you will notice that there's more than dribbles. I wrote that in the first part of my message because someone said that Saul is good in that particular aspect of the game and the numbers show that he's not. When you watch his goal against Bayern, the most natural way to see it is that he's a left-footed Iniesta, but he's pretty much the opposite.

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout
That goal against Bayern doesn't represent his nature at all. He's not good technically. His dribble ability is mediocre, actually. You guys keep comparing him with Herrera, who isn't Iniesta or Pogba, much less Redondo, but somehow he performs more successful dribbles per game than Saul(1.3 vs 0.9).

Obviously, Pogba plays in another league, but how Ñiguez is better than Ander in away that has a lot sense for us to spend more than 30 or 50 in him?

I know that this forum is a big fan of Squawka, so I made an interesting one sided comparison to show that I'm right even when I'm not:
https://abload.de/img/matrixmeme3bsty.jpg
So the amount of dribbles is how one judge a player?

Status
Not open for further replies.