Scholes the Pundit

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Seems many here want to discredit his negative comments about the style LvG has us playing just because he isn't equally criticising Rooney.

Since when have English pundits been allowed to criticise English players?

Also the suggestion that he's stuck in the past just because he unlike yourselves doesn't like LvGs "modern" style is ridiculous psuedo-intellectual claptrap.
You're an idiot unless you constantly criticize Rooney 24/7 according to some people.

Well yea, the manager chooses Rooney in the team, but lets not "pass the ball to him" Sounds like a great idea. Scholes should mention that when he is commenting
:lol: Its like getting the ball to the lone striker is such an alien concept.

Rich_H_1989

lost in a street fight to van gaal
Fair enough, not much of a supporter then.
Why aren't I much of a supporter? I come on a forum to discuss the club that I support so I'd consider myself a good fan. But no I'm not the biggest fan in the world.

At the end of the day I have more important things in my life. That's not having a go at others who prioritise football it is just a fact. And these days because I don't enjoy watching football I choose to watch other things a lot of the time.

NextSeason

From the banks of the Irwell, to Sicily..
Why aren't I much of a supporter? I come on a forum to discuss the club that I support so I'd consider myself a good fan. But no I'm not the biggest fan in the world.

At the end of the day I have more important things in my life. That's not having a go at others who prioritise football it is just a fact. And these days because I don't enjoy watching football I choose to watch other things a lot of the time.
It's fine that you prioritise other things over football but you said you'll only watch United if there is nothing else on and you don't enjoy watching football. Sorry but I can't understand how any supporter can do that. If you don't like watching football, why do you bother getting involved? I don't mean to sound rude, I'm actually wondering.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I don't know how it's possible to talk about United if you don't watch the games. There's a guy at work who claims to be a Liverpool fan but never watches games. He just reads about it on the BBC and says stuff like "Must've played well, we had 60% possession and more shots on target". It's pretty much all he knows about any Liverpool game.

Not enjoying watching United surely means you aren't a fan? It's like me saying I'm a big fan of The Beatles, except I don't listen to them because their music is boring.

Rich_H_1989

It's fine that you prioritise other things over football but you said you'll only watch United if there is nothing else on and you don't enjoy watching football. Sorry but I can't understand how any supporter can do that. If you don't like watching football, why do you bother getting involved? I don't mean to sound rude, I'm actually wondering.
Yes the way United play now I find them very boring and I don't watch them all the time.

There was a time where I'd watch them without fail. I'd move things around to make sure I watched them. I don't do that now and I generally can't watch a game from start to finish.

But I still check on how they've done, I still try to keep an eye on the scores and how they are doing. I still read the news about them and you can still gauge how they've played based on what you read.

Don't get me wrong I've watched them play against Villa, Newcastle, Wolfsburg, CSKA and Swansea plus some of the Southampton game. I just don't put it first anymore. Take the arsenal game, I watched the NFL game instead.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I don't know how it's possible to talk about United if you don't watch the games. There's a guy at work who claims to be a Liverpool fan but never watches games. He just reads about it on the BBC and says stuff like "Must've played well, we had 60% possession and more shots on target". It's pretty much all he knows about any Liverpool game.

Not enjoying watching United surely means you aren't a fan? It's like me saying I'm a big fan of The Beatles, except I don't listen to them because their music is boring.
Don't do that. They do that.

Ananke

Im perplexed too as to how you can 'support' united and not actually 'want' to watch the games. It's borderline being a 'glory supporter'. I know personally I struggle to watch all the games due to work, but if theres a game on a Sunday (and tues/weds night if im not on lates) I always watch them.

I dont 'move' things out the way but I definitely dont make plans on those days. If I wanted to support exciting football I'd go support Madrid and watch all their games. As it is I support the team I grew up supporting since being a kid, a team in the area I live. I actually enjoy this stage of evolution where we're still in that hangover of losing ferguson, witnessing the club adapting. And watching us try to get back to playing quick exciting football ( which we have had spells of this season)

I also like having my own opinions based on what I saw in the game, not what everyone else is saying. So when I miss a game I'm usually pretty gutted because I have barely an opinion.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Take the arsenal game, I watched the NFL game instead.
You don't watch the team you support because you think we are boring to watch....yet in the next breath you sit through a game of NFL...ok

Rich_H_1989

So you didn't watch the Arsenal match? How could you see us going up against Arsenal and not watch it?
No I didn't watch the Arsenal game! Why is that so hard to believe?

You don't watch the team you support because you think we are boring to watch....yet in the next breath you sit through a game of NFL...ok
That's your opinion though. You don't think NFL is exciting. I don't think football is these days. Nothing wrong with either opinion.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
No I didn't watch the Arsenal game! Why is that so hard to believe?
Mainly because of these in the match day thread,
So then... I said the other day LVG has been lucky that we've yet to go two behind this season. Now that we are early on (and Arsenal look a threat every attack) in the game he needs to change things.

Why Schneiderlin the protector isn't playing is beyond me!
Why the hell is Schneiderlin on the bench?

LVG not changing anything. This is going to get a lot worse and rightly so.

To all those stressing... Sit back and enjoy football played the right way! Pace and accuracy and purpose
People just need to enjoy the good football on display. We don't play any so enjoy the weeks where we get to see a good footballing side!

This will end 5/6-1 I reckon. Arsenal aren't done yet.
Jesus those substitutions again!

Fellaini so lump ball coming. I can get the Valencia sub but why no Schneiderlin? Our midfield has been completely overrun and yet he leaves that as it is?

Inept management.

Rich_H_1989

Because I did watch the first 10 minutes on my phone. I also kept an eye on the score on the BBC feed. It's pretty easy to say that we need to make changes at 3-0 down when we are being thumped. It's easy to say that Schneiderlin should be playing in a big game when we need midfielders to win the ball. Nothing I posted during the game was based on having to watch the game. Are we not allowed to post in the match day forum if we aren't watching the game?

Loublaze

ATLien
Yes the way United play now I find them very boring and I don't watch them all the time.

There was a time where I'd watch them without fail. I'd move things around to make sure I watched them. I don't do that now and I generally can't watch a game from start to finish.

But I still check on how they've done, I still try to keep an eye on the scores and how they are doing. I still read the news about them and you can still gauge how they've played based on what you read.

Don't get me wrong I've watched them play against Villa, Newcastle, Wolfsburg, CSKA and Swansea plus some of the Southampton game. I just don't put it first anymore. Take the arsenal game, I watched the NFL game instead.
Hmm...not much of a fan then.....

Eriku

If watching United's something of a last resort on a boring day then it's fair to say you're not much of a fan.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
If watching United's something of a last resort on a boring day then it's fair to say you're not much of a fan.
Have to agree. I'm sure most miss a game at times, myself included but if you chose to watch other sports in the middle of a Utd game then there's not much left.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Weird ain't it, I can understand a balance of wanting to prioritise other things as some people lead busy life but last resort? No, you should watch United as a fan whenever and however you can, bad football or not!

saivet

I saw a couple guys in here talking about how certain players played in City's match against Sevilla. This match was on at the same time as United's. Maybe there's some sort of explanation but I say each to their own. Wednesday's game, I'll opt for the Apprentice rather than searching for a stream or listening to it on the radio.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Didnt watch a boring Utd instead chose to watch the most boring thing on earth.......hmmmmm

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Is it bad that I enjoy the way we play. Don't get me wrong, I can be just as infuriated when we fail to make chances but it's really nice to see such a structured high pressing team. Martial and Mata are the only real players with freedom so our end game is really down to them.

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
Paul Scholes slams Louis van Gaal's defensive style: I would NOT have enjoyed playing in this Manchester United team

• 'The style is not something that Sir Alex Ferguson would have adhered to,' he explained.

• 'I actually think the team is brilliantly coached to defend. I think the hardest thing to do is to coach scoring goals, creativity and to have players who are off the cuff.
    'It's a team you wouldn't want to play against and its probably a team you wouldn't want to play in either.
    'There's a lack of risk and creativity. It seems he doesn't want players to beat men and score goals - it's not a team I would have enjoyed playing in.'

• 'I was at the Manchester derby and I watched him (Rooney) for the first 20 minutes,' he said.
    'His movement was brilliant but when he's playing in that team there's nobody prepared to pass to him. You'd be tearing your hair out.
    'Ruud van Nistelrooy, Teddy Sheringham, Andy Cole couldn't play in this team. You don't get crosses in the box, midfielders looking for runs. I think its a very difficult team to be a centre forward in.'

• 'You look at Under 16s, Under 17s and it's absolutely riddled with foreign players,' he said.
    'What chance does that give to young English players? It gives them virtually no chance.
    'You look at Chelsea and Arsenal's youth teams and you do well to spot an English player. It's really sad. There are hardly any players to play for us.
    'It's nowhere near what it should be and you can see why we struggle.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ing-Manchester-United-team.html#ixzz3pxdvdzfi

The Law of Denis

'The style is not something that Sir Alex Ferguson would have adhered to,' he explained.
Did he now watch United at all Fergie's last few seasons? What an idiotic comment. We need these pundits to stop with these comparisons to Sir Alex.

Green_Red

Theres a bloke in work that thinks hes a united fan. I havent heard of him watching a game yet this season but he know all the facts... can quote skysports like a champ he can lol

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

At the moment, I don't enjoy watching us play but I physically can't stop watching us play.

Kartik

Did he now watch United at all Fergie's last few seasons? What an idiotic comment. We need these pundits to stop with these comparisons to Sir Alex.
Not really, considering that Scholes was busy playing for Fergie in those last few seasons. So he is speaking from some experience heh
What I really don't understand is why isn't he allowed to voice his personal opinion? After all there have been various debates as to how everyone likes different styles of playing and maybe Scholes doesn't enjoy LvGs style. He is only echoing what a lot of posters have been saying as well. No need to get so wound up over it.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Scholes said:
'I was at the Manchester derby and I watched him (Rooney) for the first 20 minutes,' he said.
'His movement was brilliant but when he's playing in that team there's nobody prepared to pass to him. You'd be tearing your hair out.
Break me a f*cking give...

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I wish people would stop SLAMMING all over the shop. It's scaring my cat.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
I agree with him about the lack of service for Rooney. I know Falcao was/is pretty dire, but to be fair to him he had a severe lack of service during his season with us.

The reason Martial is doing so well is because he's that (rare) type of striker that creates chances for himself.

RedRover

We never played so rigidly under Fergie. Over the last few seasons, as the better players got older we weren't a great side, and often lacked quality - but we never lacked a cutting edge like we do now. We created chances, we scored goals - and we werent anywhere near as rigid, slow and lacking in ambition as we are now.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
We never played so rigidly under Fergie. Over the last few seasons, as the better players got older we weren't a great side, and often lacked quality - but we never lacked a cutting edge like we do now. We created chances, we scored goals - and we werent anywhere near as rigid, slow and lacking in ambition as we are now.
We were at times

bubbles_

Anything else of merit he may say is ignored because of how blinkered he is over Rooney. If he's that deluded of Rooney then he can be wrong about everything else. The strangest thing is that he himself said that Rooney was finished a year ago, what happened?

I think he wants LVG gone so he can sneak into the backroom staff when he leaves.

RedRover

I agree with him about the lack of service for Rooney. I know Falcao was/is pretty dire, but to be fair to him he had a severe lack of service during his season with us.

The reason Martial is doing so well is because he's that (rare) type of striker that creates chances for himself.
I think that's right. Rooney has obviously been poor this year - but if you're going to put any player upfront, you need to get the ball to him in dangerous areas.

Kostur

海尔的老板
  • 'I was at the Manchester derby and I watched him (Rooney) for the first 20 minutes,' he said.
    'Ruud van Nistelrooy, Teddy Sheringham, Andy Cole couldn't play in this team. You don't get crosses in the box, midfielders looking for runs. I think its a very difficult team to be a centre forward in.'

• 'You look at Under 16s, Under 17s and it's absolutely riddled with foreign players,' he said.
    'What chance does that give to young English players? It gives them virtually no chance.
    'You look at Chelsea and Arsenal's youth teams and you do well to spot an English player. It's really sad. There are hardly any players to play for us.
    'It's nowhere near what it should be and you can see why we struggle.'
Yea, they wouldn't play here because they'd be shunted out to the wing to make place for the fecking king at #9. And if English coaching was better then you'd see more youth English players.

Funny how he's trying to protect Rooney and justify him being utter shit by blaming it all on LVG, the system and all that shit.