5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordon S

Seems to be a good lad and a good professional. But why is he starting games for us? Out of position as well?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
This is a kid just breaking through. Under saf he'd be getting 10 mins here and there, the odd league Cup game or cl group dead rubber He'd be put in strong teams who could carry and cover him, and he'd play in relatively safe positions.
He'd be cut like the likes of Ryan Turncliffe.

Red_Aaron

He'd be cut like the likes of Ryan Turncliffe.
Possibly, I was making a more general point though that had saf deemed him good enough he'd have handled him properly and not thrown him to the wolves
(saf may have played him against wolves tbf)

Seij

Seems to be a good lad and a good professional. But why is he starting games for us? Out of position as well?
Because he's very talented at growth spurt.

Plus Mourinho is seeing all the criticism about not playing Fred and Pereira and is being himself, by doubling down on his stubbornness.

Camilo

Wouldn't start for any other team in the league. What is Jose thinking?

WPMUFC

The lad is only doing what is asked of him, so no blame for him being asked to play CB. However we have no CB's in the academy? Why is poor lad being sacrificed?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If he was 5'9" we would've released him last summer.

Honest to God, he would not stand out in League 2.

It's not even his fault. Not like he's not trying or is picking himself. He just isn't anywhere near good enough for Premier League, or even Championship football if we're honest. I feel like he's Jose's protest player. Any time he wants to send a message to the board he throws McTominay out there to the wolves. Not really fair to the kid. Hopefully the next manager puts him out of his misery & he can have a decent career in League 1/2 or Scotland.

RedDevilRoshi

He’s like a lanky version of Tom Cleverley/Darron Gibson. Youth academy product that is simply not good enough for the 1st team.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I thought he did well considering. He was growing more frustrated in the 2nd half at the lack of passing options. Bit funny that the kid in the team is the one getting pissy, funny or sad, not sure which.

Negan

No offence to this lad but he is not even close to being United quality. I’m not even sure he’s a Premier League footballer. McNair and Blackett impressed me more and that’s saying something.

Yagami

Good post resistant
As a big critic of his I can only praise him for yesterday. Away, in a mess of a team and in an unfamiliar position, you can't be too harsh on him. He did alright, I thought. At times he played a few Carrick-esque passes inbetween the lines which were nice.
I thought he did well considering. He was growing more frustrated in the 2nd half at the lack of passing options. Bit funny that the kid in the team is the one getting pissy, funny or sad, not sure which.
He's probably, like us, a Manchester United supporter, so he probably cares more than most.

Ashley R1+O

Tried his balls off and was decent. I commend him for that. Would much prefer him not to be in this situation having to be an adaptive player in the formation juggling but any experience is good experience I guess (not how I'd have it). Hopefully it will make him a better player.

RedDevil5

Will never make it here IMO. Wouldn't start for any other EPL team.

Himannv

I'm not a big fan of his and certainly don't feel he's good enough for us. Having said that, I can't fault him for his performance yesterday. He's a young lad playing in an unfamiliar position and I think he did quite well. Definitely among the better performers yesterday on the whole.

Roboc7

He’s tall and he tries his best, not much else you can say about him.

Ekeke

I think he has potential to play the position. The problem is he's a year or two of playing first team football every week off the experience level required to do so at United

In other words if we want to use him in a 3 man defense he should be on loan to a premier league team doing it for them this season. He should not be playing there for us

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He'd be lucky to get a Championship side to play him at CB on loan. You're having a laugh if you think a PL side would.

He had a decent game. Still fecking shit mind you. Axel or O'Connor are about 10x as talented.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I think he has potential to play the position. The problem is he's a year or two of playing first team football every week off the experience level required to do so at United

In other words if we want to use him in a 3 man defense he should be on loan to a premier league team doing it for them this season. He should not be playing there for us
No PL team will play him as CB though, if he should learn that then it's either coming on as a sub or games here and there for ManUtd or should play for our U23s.

Ekeke

No PL team will play him as CB though, if he should learn that then it's either coming on as a sub or games here and there for ManUtd or should play for our U23s.
If no other team in the league would play him, then we shouldnt be playing him. He's clearly not ready

roonster09

Scout
If no other team in the league would play him, then we shouldnt be playing him. He's clearly not ready
He is our player, so we have incentive to develop him. PL teams are loaded, they can just buy or loan proper CB rather than developing a CM into CB.

Mr PG

McTom over £50 million Fred is absolutely baffling.
Mctomminay is a defensive player Fred is not... what is so hard for people to understand. Not to defend mourinho but there is no point to be made here

Ekeke

He is our player, so we have incentive to develop him. PL teams are loaded, they can just buy or loan proper CB rather than developing a CM into CB.
Yet we have Fosu Mensah playing right back on loan. If we believe he's good enough to play in a league game at RCB then he must be good enough to do it at another premier league club

Steerpike

He was one of only four players to emerge with credit from the game yesterday (Rashford, Herrera and Jones being the other three). He was playing in an unfamiliar position, but made good decisions and was generally solid - in stark contrast with the much more experienced Matic who had been asked to do a similar job. I like the fact that you know he'll give 100%: I'd much rather see an average player in the team giving it their all than a supposed star player who looks like he can't be bothered.

roonster09

Scout
Yet we have Fosu Mensah playing right back on loan. If we believe he's good enough to play in a league game at RCB then he must be good enough to do it at another premier league club
Fosu Mensah is a RB playing as RB. Can't help if you can't see how different both cases are.

roonster09

Scout
He's a CB playing RB
He played almost all games as FB for ManUtd. McTominay played as CM in all but 2 games. No one will do the dirty work with so much money available for PL clubs. If every he gets a PL loan it's either to play as CM or CB if he plays few games for ManUtd and shows he is decent.

AndyJ1985

McTominay is a terrible player, but he probably keeps his mouth shut and does whatever Mourinho tells him, so that's enough to be a United first team player it would seem

The_Midfielder

He is not the problem.. the problem is the manager ..he is not a CB, but he was playing good yesterday.. why play him in a unfamiliar position .. he is a Cm isnt he ?
why have 5 midfielders .. 3 holding against Southampton.. why play Matic , felliani, herrera and Mctominay against southampton.. why play Mctominay in a back 3..
Why have only 2 players upfront.. rashford and out of form lukaku..

Based Adnan

Going by the ratings I'm genuinely baffled how people saw the game yesterday and thought McTominay was our 3rd worst player

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
If Moyes was still at Sunderland, he would be all over him.

He's not a bad player, but he doesn't seem to excel at anything. Just very average all around.

Canagel

He's crap . If he played for Southampton no-one wouldve noticed. And don't even get me started on his selection ahead of Fred or Periera. A crime against football

Steerpike

He's crap . If he played for Southampton no-one wouldve noticed. And don't even get me started on his selection ahead of Fred or Periera. A crime against football
McTominay was played as a part of a back three (McTominay - Jones - Matic). I can't imagine either Fred or Pereira prospering in that role. Considering it's not his natural position, I actually thought he played quite well (and certainly a lot better than Matic, a much more experienced Defensive Midfielder also asked to do a job as a Centre Back).

You may not think much of him as a player, but he gave a solid and committed performance which is more than can be said of some of the others in the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.