5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil may care

When he came on we looked happier to push up more and leave space in behind as he covers ground better than Matic.

Skills

Snitch
I like him off the bench. Get Fred to play the first 60-70 minutes at 90% and then stick McTominay on for the last 20-30 minutes to keep the pressure and high work rate up.

Keeps them both fresh.

tjb

All these rubbish talking about him being some average player.

He helps this team out to a significant standard. That's all I care about.
I think he's always been good, but last year this was only as a box to box midfielder and unlike a player like Khedira, he did not have the benefit of playing with a deep-lying playmaker that could defend ( like Xabi Alonso or Schweinsteiger), therefore make our midfield really uncreative and unprotected since his job was to win the ball as oppose to protecting the defence.

What is clear is that since last season, Ole has been preparing Mctominay to play a sitting role, as that is a role that our team actually needs. He was really struggling with positioning, both on and off the ball, in this role when Ole tried him there last season....often forcing Pogba to come deeper and distribute whilst also leaving our back 4 unprotected on the counter. This season, both his on the ball composure and off the ball positioning seem to have improved, probably due to constant training with Carrick, which has immensely improved his ability in playing this role. He already had the physicality, ballwinning ability and speed to play the position well, but lacked the mental aspects to follow through with it. He seems to have picked that up this season.

He'sRaldo

Definitely the correct usage of him. Hard working right sided CM, with better creativity in front of and behind him.

Brings out the best in him and minimizes the need for him to be the hub of our buildup play.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Just look at how assured he was when he came on. Bestrode that midfield like a colossus. Just as important to our squad as Pogba, Ban de Beek, Matic, any of them.

Cloud7

I like Fred but I actually think McT is better technically. He’s an excellent player to have in the team!
Overall McT will be a better player to have around the squad in the long term, because he's less likely to agitate if he's only used for certain roles/matches than Fred is. More room for improvement as well, since Fred should be entering his peak now and I don't think he's that much better than McT.

Raven

Matic is fine but hasn't got the legs for matches like this and generally slows down our play too much for my liking. Fred and Scott are great but we'll probably need to play a diamond a 4222 to get it working properly.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Fred tends to play well next to everyone, whether it's McTominay, Matic or Pogba the couple of times they've played together. I feel McTominay relies a bit more on Fred though, or at least he did last season. We haven't really seen him play without Fred this season yet.
McTom had one of his best game against Newcastle on 2nd half. When Fred was subbed with Pogba.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I don't think Matic has much over McTominay.
Matic is more composed passer but only short to mid range. Better under pressure but also has a tendency to haul the ball.

Overall I'd rather invest time in McTominay than rely on Matic, even if the latter is superior player, the gap isn't that big.

Idxomer

Did well giving fresh legs to the midfield after coming on, this should be more his role most games.

Zoo

He was clueless out there. Didn’t know what he was doing.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I appreciate the importance of having his personality in the squad but I don’t think he has the technical ability to fully succeed at United. I said it before the game when a poster compared him to Fletcher, right now the only similarity is they’re both Scottish. Fletch was much better technically and performed week in week out when he got going.

3KDré

On the ball, he is so so bad. Van De Beek was making run after run and he was ignoring it, playing the simple pass.

slored1

Played as if he had to hold hands with Fred the entire time. Should have been taken off after 20 minutes.

BlahRules

On the ball, he is so so bad. Van De Beek was making run after run and he was ignoring it, playing the simple pass.
His not very good thats why. I dont understand why OGS is dying for him to succeed when his just not that good.

marktan

Not too dissimilar to Fletchers early years - good to have in midfield but needs to make a step up on the ball.

Idxomer

The game was like an alien to him out there today, he had no idea what was going out there on the pitch.

Renegade

End the Mctominay project please. Not st the expense of DVB. Could you imagine him in the Ajax midfield ?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Is he married to Ole’s daughter or something? Surely there must be some kind of nepotism going on here.

Really bad again. As always. Plays well one in ten & people start to say “he’s so under appreciated” no, he’s not good enough!

Idxomer

Bar a couple of games here and there, his bad form had been for almost 11 months now.

yardieUnited

Only got lifted to the first team because Jose was obessed with his height and i have never understood whats good about Mctominay aside from being a good lad.

Scott cant tackle nor can he transport the ball well as he often falls down himself, also opponents gets past him easily.

Superunknown

I really like this guy, but I thought he was a huge weak link in midfield today. Didn't really do anything, except take up a spot in the starting 11. Really disappointed in his performance.

Arka_BleedingRed

Mctominay has his uses, but our clueless coach with his clueless tactics doesn't know which players to use in what types of games, and what tactics to utilize other than counter attacking.

Sometimes, it feels like he is a student giving an exam, who has studied the answer for one question and is trying to solve every question in the paper using variants of the same answer.

RooneyLegend

I'd give him to Burnley for free. Would be a great squad player for them I reckon.

Status
Not open for further replies.