Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chripper

the witch hunt in full flow
It would appear.

If you plop Fabinho or Thiago, etc, in this team, do people actually think that we would flip it and get 75% possession?

It's a team game. You could put prime Roy Keane in this team and it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference.

Pickle85

It would appear.

If you plop Fabinho or Thiago, etc, in this team, do people actually think that we would flip it and get 75% possession?

It's a team game. You could put prime Roy Keane in this team and it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference.
I can only assume you never watched prime Keano.

Siorac

It would appear.

This idea that the quality of individual players doesn't make a difference to the quality of the team is a wild one.

Does it work the other way around, too? If you go back in time to replace Keane with McTominay in our Treble squad, would we still win all those trophies?

haru krentz

It would appear.

a prime keane would make this team competing for titles, and i'm not exaggerating. an excellent box to box midfielder who will drive the whole team not only with his skill and tenacity, but also his leadership.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He’s so shit it’s unbelievable. I actually said to my son, imagine how that game would have panned out if Kante and McT had swapped teams? It actually makes me hopeful. We might not need a load of new signings. Once we replace the a completely hopeless players like him with someone genuinely good it will improve the whole team to a ridiculous extent.
I agree, if we get a semi competent midfield then we’ll look 10 times better than we do now. We’ve lost the midfield battle in every game this season, and end up giving most teams a 1 goal head start. Our defence would look better as well.

Zoo

It would appear.

Matic played 43 passes, McTominay 24. Matic came off on the 78th minute. It’s a recurring theme for McTominay to be on the margins of games.

KeanoMagicHat

It would appear.

Of course it would flip, maybe not 75% possession, but no team that has Thiago in it avoids the ball for 30 minutes, even if he was playing against a World XI of the peak of the greatest players ever. If Thiago doesn’t have a pass in 3 minutes it’s unusual, never mind 30. We had 35% possession last night at home, it’s embarrassing. That’s 50-50 with Thiago instead of McTominay immediately I reckon.

It would appear.

That's half true, but McTominay is still far too limited. He looks like he could play like Matic did but he does not have anywhere near the passing range. He also lacks the positional sense to screen the defence, and the worst thing is that he does not move to receive the ball enough which contributes to his embarrassingly bad pass and touch statistics. I think that he only wants the ball when he thinks he can do something with it, he doesn't get the concept of moving the ball to keep possession and set the tempo.

The only thing he is good at is getting stuck in in physical 50/50 games where nobody has control over the midfield, and if that's how we play, we've already lost.

Oranges038

It would appear.

You clearly either never saw him play or just forget how good he really was.

You could put Roy Keane in any position in that team and he would immediately make it better.

buckooo1978

We were outnumbered in midfield and Bruno isnt a midfielder

even still that's a shocking stat

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
For what it’s worth, the ability to retain possession at the back is also extremely reliant on a keeper who can get involved in the passing. Mendy’s a long way from being the best goalie with the ball at his feet but he is still streets ahead of DDG and his constant long passes straight to the opposition. A lot of Chelsea’s defenders touches came from working the ball around between them and their goalkeeper. 58% pass completion from DDG vs 78% for Mendy says it all really.

But yeah, McTominay’s inability to show for the ball makes a bad thing worse.
For sure, DDG is pretty terrible at it. It makes no sense how he is still as poor as when he first arrived.
Even back then, when the emphasis wasn't on keepers to be good distributors, he stuck out like a sore thumb with his kicking

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
So what is it? Is he good and is just underperforming because of current management? Or is he just shite? I’ll go with the latter.
He's certainly not shite, 5 different managers wouldnt have chosen him if he was

But he's also a level below where we need to be - will be a decent squad player once we upgrade

Chripper

You clearly either never saw him play or just forget how good he really was.

You could put Roy Keane in any position in that team and he would immediately make it better.
I saw him way back at his Forest days.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Mata made more passes in 10 minutes then McT did in the entirity of the second half - and twice as many completed passes.

He just refuses to show for the ball a lot of the time - it's maddening.

Chripper

Not to be pedantic, but McTominay made his first successful pass (in the 2nd half) in the 77th minute. Which was a throughball to Ronaldo, which resulted in a shot on target.

I would advice people to rewatch the match. We could barely string three passes together in the entire match as the Chelsea press was so efficient.

None of our players had any space on the ball.

Blaming that on one player is mental

https://fullmatchsreplay.com/manchester-united-vs-chelsea-full-match-highlights-28-april-2022/3/

Shark

@NotShark
Yet some people think ETH will wave a wand and magically transform him into Henderson. He's a vastly limited player who wouldn't look out of place in the championship.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It would appear.

That’s one of the craziest claims I’ve ever seen on this website.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Not to be pedantic, but McTominay made his first successful pass (in the 2nd half) in the 77th minute. Which was a throughball to Ronaldo, which resulted in a shot on target.

I would advice people to rewatch the match. We could barely string three passes together in the entire match as the Chelsea press was so efficient.

Blaming that on one player is mental

https://fullmatchsreplay.com/manchester-united-vs-chelsea-full-match-highlights-28-april-2022/3/
So that's alright then?

DomesticTadpole

We don’t even need prime Roy Keane. How about long past his prime Nemanja Matic? If we could have somehow cloned him for the Chelsea game it would have been a completely different outcome.
Thing with Matic is he is probably what we need, just one who is a lot younger. They should have realised that and used him as a template for who to buy, not extended his contract. Some people have a lot to answer for.

Chripper

That’s one of the craziest claims I’ve ever seen on this website.
And that's one of the craziest things that I've ever seen on this website.

During the entire 90 minutes last night, none of our players had a minute on the ball. For the majority of the match, the players were lumping it forward and panicking.

AFC NimbleThumb

Mata made more passes in 10 minutes then McT did in the entirity of the second half - and twice as many completed passes.

He just refuses to show for the ball a lot of the time - it's maddening.
This really sums it up perfectly. By showing for the ball you can arse end your way into a few one-twos as a bare minimum. It’s not even asking him to take throughballs all game long.

I genuinely don’t understand how a person could want us to get better as a team yet think this guy can feature in even a match day squad.

Chripper

Doesn’t top his claim the other day that all of Scotland’s midfielders could walk into any PL club they wanted.
Gilmour and McGinn could.

That's 2 out of three. Not too shabby a statement if you ask me, Mr Statement stenographer.

DomesticTadpole

Gilmour and McGinn could.

That's 2 out of three. Not too shabby a statement if you ask me, Mr Statement stenographer.
Don't think McGinn would get in City's side, maybe Liverpool's because they seem to get the best out of even just good/average players. Doesn't Gilmour struggle playing for Norwich.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’s a painfully average footballer, which was evident from the beginning. In fact, even before the beginning, way back to the academy.

Chripper

Gilmour can’t even make the team of the club he signed for.
Chelsea?

Don't think McGinn would get in City's side, maybe Liverpool's because they seem to get the best out of even just good/average players. Doesn't Gilmour struggle playing for Norwich.
Oh. He would definitely get into Liverpool's team. Man City? Maybe, at a pinch. McGinn is brilliant at pressing, so maybe.

In fairness, Norwich are awful. I've seen a lot of their matches. Gilmour is just on a different page to his teammates .

Green_Red

There's no point bashing him anymore. He simply isn't at the level we would like to be at so either he will be a squad man or sold by ETH, but I really doubt that he will be here for much longer. He has zero initiative, the fact people are pointing out he didn't touch the ball because he was asked to sit deep shows his lack of ability, creativity, courage, everything. He is a player that would do well for a club that has aspirations of sitting somewhere between 10th and the top 6 in the league. Which is exactly where we are.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Think most people were surprised when Jose promoted him. He suited Jose at the time, he's tall.
I was certainly surprised, although he had an incredibly large amount of fans on here early in his United career. Not even just on here. I think I have the most amount of posts in both of his first two performance threads. Majority of that was spent pointing out that he was not very good, and getting dragged into arguments because of it. People said I was just saying things to try and be contrarian even.

There have been many articles written on his greatness, promise, and I’ve never seen his rubbishness called out by one pundit. Which is unusual for a United regular who is a million miles out of his depth.

Green_Red

a prime keane would make this team competing for titles, and i'm not exaggerating. an excellent box to box midfielder who will drive the whole team not only with his skill and tenacity, but also his leadership.
Or any midfielder who imposes themselves on the game rather than being a passenger and there just to nullify the opposition. Who is the big question though.

Rake

So that's alright then?
It doesn't matter if it is alright, it just makes the headline false. Had Ronaldo scored, he would have had an assist even.

That being said, it should be painfully obvious to everyone by now that he's nowhere near good enough to be a starter for United.

haru krentz

Or any midfielder who imposes themselves on the game rather than being a passenger and there just to nullify the opposition. Who is the big question though.
Problem is McT didnt even do that last night. when people were screaming about Telles being toyed by James i've already made a point about the absent of McT who seemed completely lost there. i was wondering whether Rangnick even gave him pre-match instruction? because he didnt even bother to reprimand him and managed to play full 90 mins. I'm glad that Tuchel made a blunder by subbing Kante off, robbing Chelsea's biggest advantage which was the strength of their central midfielders against our weakest link.

Lentwood

He’s so shit it’s unbelievable. I actually said to my son, imagine how that game would have panned out if Kante and McT had swapped teams? It actually makes me hopeful. We might not need a load of new signings. Once we replace the a completely hopeless players like him with someone genuinely good it will improve the whole team to a ridiculous extent.
Its the point I have been making all season. Your CMs really ought to be the best, or amongst the best, players in your team. Technically and physically.

Through some absolutely bizarre mismanagement going back over a decade, we've somehow ended up with our weakest players in CM.

I think people would be shocked how much two proper CMs would transform this side. Hence why I'd be content to just spend what is necessary for Rice and Phillips. It might not be clever, it might not be glamorous...but I believe we'd be instantly 15-20pts better off next season

Oranges038

I saw him way back at his Forest days.
So you would know how good he was. He was dumped into his debut against Liverpool and he didn't look out of place at all. Battered John Barnes off the pitch.He went from being on the dole to being amongst the best midfielders in the world in ten years. His passing was his most under rated strength, forward passing, breaking the lines, always crisp, precise and weighted.

McT has spent his entire career being coached at one of the biggest clubs in the world, by top class coaches. Yet, he struggles to control and pass a ball more than 5 or 10 yards properly. He's just a typical example of English academies focusing on physique and athleticism over actual footballing ability. He doesn't want the ball because he doesn't know what to do with it when he gets it.

As the old saying goes, if you can't pass you can't play.

Status
Not open for further replies.