5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Viper

City has KDB and Rodri in the midfield. On top of that they had the luxury of bringing on gundogan when KDB gassed out. And here we have our chuckle brothers McFred in midfield. Just shows the levels and how far we have fallen as a club which is really sad to see. How long will it take for anyone at the club to realise that these guys are absolutely mediocre players and shouldn't be in starting 11 at all.

Diamond Chap

Supports
Airdrieonians
Anyone who thinks McTominay was/is our biggest issue, is kidding themselves on.
Our defence were dreadful and our 'world class' players were probably worse.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Once we finally get a DM, McTominay will find it very hard to have a look in the first XI.

I don't want to think what happens if we don't get a DM and have to pretend for another season McTominay can do a job there because he's big and strong and plays CB for Scotland.

No idea how he starts games for us
I think the only reason is his athletism, what we need because of lightweight players like Fred and Bruno. It makes sense, although I'd seriously consider using Matic more.

Godfather

Once we finally get a DM, McTominay will find it very hard to have a look in the first XI.

I don't want to think what happens if we don't get a DM and have to pretend for another season McTominay can do a job there because he's big and strong and plays CB for Scotland.

I think the only reason is his athletism, what we need because of lightweight players like Fred and Bruno. It makes sense, although I'd seriously consider using Matic more.
I can't stand footballers that are solely picked for their built. We need fecking footballers. Matic at 40 would still be twice the footballer McT will ever be

Devil’s Trident

If he is to be transferred which teams in the pl would be fighting to sign him ? I bet you none. 1-2 if lucky and that’s a starting midfielder for Manchester United. I know you can say that about a lot of our players but almost all of them would be in the pl but Scott Mctominay would struggle to find a club in this league. fecking Burnley and Brentford have better midfielders than him.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Poor, and that’s coming from someone who is normally a big fan of his. It’s painfully obvious that defensive positioning is anathema to him- for my money I would be playing him in more of the role that Pogba played today, but once again our complete lack of any actual DM options means we are screwed.

Footyislife

His positioning and passing is just terrible. At least Fred is mobile and covers space well.

Maguire + Lindelof + McTominay is why we lose games.

Bailly + Varane + New DM would fix all our defensive issues. And allow our offensive players more freedom.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
If he is to be transferred which teams in the pl would be fighting to sign him ? I bet you none. 1-2 if lucky and that’s a starting midfielder for Manchester United. I know you can say that about a lot of our players but almost all of them would be in the pl but Scott Mctominay would struggle to find a club in this league. fecking Burnley and Brentford have better midfielders than him.
I could imagine a few teams would've taken him, but not to play him in midfield.

It's not his fault he's overpromoted.
That is the sad truth. I have nothing against this lad.

Brophs

The One and Only
Poor, and that’s coming from someone who is normally a big fan of his. It’s painfully obvious that defensive positioning is anathema to him- for my money I would be playing him in more of the role that Pogba played today, but once again our complete lack of any actual DM options means we are screwed.
He just doesn’t read the game. It’s all reactive. I know he has a rep for being blood and thunder but I remember watching Keane in his heyday for United. The number of times he’d just step across a few yards and pick the ball off without it looking like anything. Obviously I’m not expecting him to be Keane but he’s what, almost 25 and you don’t get any sense that he’s getting closer to being able to control games; to change the pace of the game as needed.

United in sin

I'm watching Pep's post match interview and he mentions city not giving McTominay options and getting closer to him in the second half (Fred as well) to good effect. They know he offers feck all on the ball
He wasnt our worst player today or anything close. Bruno Fred and Pogba all worse.
Pogba was a nuisance to them in the first half in the final third and provided the assist for Sancho. How was he worse?

James Peril

He walks about like he is prime Gerrard, taking that extra bit of time like he’s got it all under control, when in real life he’s about as good as a Southampton-player tops. He annoyed me like hell against Brighton when he acted all tough, mouthed off to players and generally gave the impression of being Billy big bollocks… which is just embarrassing with his limited ability. Today too it happened again, he went into a fair challenge and then started to mouth up without reason to Cancelo I think it was. No dive or even a free-kick or anything, just gave a vastly superior footballer a tirade for absolutely no reason - and the latter didn’t even bother responsing, just an awkward smile. Come on Scott, you aren’t half as good or important as you think you are, get lost from this team please.

Roboc7

He walks about like he is prime Gerrard, taking that extra bit of time like he’s got it all under control, when in real life he’s about as good as a Southampton-player tops. He annoyed me like hell against Brighton when he acted all tough, mouthed off to players and generally gave the impression of being Billy big bollocks… which is just embarrassing with his limited ability. Today too it happened again, he went into a fair challenge and then started to mouth up without reason to Cancelo I think it was. No dive or even a free-kick or anything, just gave a vastly superior footballer a tirade for absolutely no reason - and the latter didn’t even bother responsing, just an awkward smile. Come on Scott, you aren’t half as good or important as you think you are, get lost from this team please.
Who can blame him he’s been built up as Mcsauce, a beast, a leader and future Captain, given multiple pay rises by Ole and the club. He’s a very limited player we should have been focused on improving his weaknesses not trying to turn him into something he isn’t.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I'm watching Pep's post match interview and he mentions city not giving McTominay options and getting closer to him in the second half (Fred as well) to good effect. They know he offers feck all on the ball

Pogba was a nuisance to them in the first half in the final third and provided the assist for Sancho. How was he worse?
He played a pass into a whole empty half of the pitch. Sancho had loads to do to score that which he did brilliantly tbf to him.

Pogba was appalling. Again.

United in sin

He played a pass into a whole empty half of the pitch. Sancho had loads to do to score that which he did brilliantly tbf to him.

Pogba was appalling. Again.
Bullshit. You can't watch that piece of play and think it was merely a hopeful/ thoughtless pass. Are you actually engaging your mind or being blind due to your disdain for the player?

McTominay was trash against city and has been overall this season. The sooner the club gets rid of him the better off we'll be in controlling games from midfield. They walked right through him as always

Last edited:

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Bullshit. You can't watch that piece of play and think it was merely a hopeful/ thoughtless pass. Are you actually engaging your mind or being blind to your disdain for the player?

McTominay was trash against city and has been overall this season. The sooner the club gets rid of him the better off we'll be in controlling games from midfield. They walked right through him as always
It wasn't a difficult pass. City got caught on the counter and he simply played it into a huge empty half of the pitch. Sancho had lots to do to score still.

Also he was fecking crap. Did you not see how many times he got dispossessed on the ball? Lost count.

Please go watch the game back (if you can stomach it) and just watch Pogba. He was a total joke. However being fair to him he wasn't alone in that today.

Pogba is as big of a problem is as Scotty is just for different reasons. One can play football but phones it in. One can't play that well but at least gives his all.

United in sin

It wasn't a difficult pass. City got caught on the counter and he simply played it into a huge empty half of the pitch. Sancho had lots to do to score still.

Also he was fecking crap. Did you not see how many times he got dispossessed on the ball? Lost count.

Please go watch the game back (if you can stomach it) and just watch Pogba. He was a total joke. However being fair to him he wasn't alone in that today.

Pogba is as big of a problem is as Scotty is just for different reasons. One can play football but phones it in. One can't play that well but at least gives his all.
McTominay gives his all? Let me guess, united DNA and all that Brexit crap right? Did you notice how the lazy McTominay strolled back several times while city were on the counter? Did you forgive him for his lazy non contribution for City's first goal?

This myth that he gives his all is needs to stop when the evidence points to the contrary often. Pogba has contributed more to this club than McTominay, it's not even close. Brexit players like McTominay and Maguire are getting us nowhere. I'll say one thing, the useless chap didn't get his customary yellow today. Matic would've served us better in wresting control of the ball from deep

Last edited:

JeffFromHK

As a human resource guy, I always categorize McTominay as those colleagues who pretend to be hardworking but actually aren't.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
As a human resource guy, I always categorize McTominay as those colleagues who pretend to be hardworking but actually aren't.
Agreed, it's as if you must always have someone lazy at work whether at United or any normal company, probably brings balance to the whole system, players busting their gut (DDG) and then you have Mct and co just marking their 1h30mins/week

Ekeke

Battled and ball won better than Fred. Easily our best ball winner on the day.

On the ball though he just isnt on the level to compete with City's options.

AndySmith1990

Battled and ball won better than Fred. Easily our best ball winner on the day.

On the ball though he just isnt on the level to compete with City's options.
Funny, reminds me of what we used to hear about Lingard. "Great without the ball"

No wonder we struggle to do anything with the ball when we're training academy lads to play better without it

EtH

Funny, reminds me of what we used to hear about Lingard. "Great without the ball"

No wonder we struggle to do anything with the ball when we're training academy lads to play better without it
Silent domination.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Huffing and puffing to make himself look busy while he joggs around the pitch without even trying to close players down.

Pathetic player, below average one yet he regularly starts for United :houllier:

Mickson

Nobody likes you, Toby.

I actually think McTominay's weakness is off the ball. Always hiding and losing his marker in defense. He is at his best when he can run with the ball, in a box-to-box role, most notably against Leeds every time. But yeah, he isn't good enough to be starting for United but it's nothing new.

EtH

Nobody likes you, Toby.

I actually think McTominay's weakness is off the ball. Always hiding and losing his marker in defense. He is at his best when he can run with the ball, in a box-to-box role, most notably against Leeds every time. But yeah, he isn't good enough to be starting for United but it's nothing new.
Perhaps he should be doing that along with Leeds in the Championship next season then.

Him and Maguire are our biggest problems. Maguire's problem is less about his football ability but McTominay, he cant position himself, he hides from the ball, and he doesn't spot danger. Multiple times he let players drift off him and he never sprints to recover. We don't have an alternative in that position but we're going nowhere until we can replace him.

Every now and then he puts in a hard tackle or goes on a nice run which is enough for some of our fans to think he's a good player.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Him and Maguire are our biggest problems. Maguire's problem is less about his football ability but McTominay, he cant position himself, he hides from the ball, and he doesn't spot danger. Multiple times he let players drift off him and he never sprints to recover. We don't have an alternative in that position but we're going nowhere until we can replace him.

Every now and then he puts in a hard tackle or goes on a nice run which is enough for some of our fans to think he's a good player.
That's pretty much it. He's a physically imposing player who can in moments put a foot in, in moments make a driving run, and in moments hit the ball well. But in general, he has so little to his game it's amazing that he starts for Manchester United. Poor passer of the ball, mediocre ability with ball at his feet, not highly intelligent to make up for it, and other than putting a foot in he is poor defensively. This is our standard and we wonder why the likes of City toy with us.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Replace Maguire, Mctominay and AWB by three players who are comfortable on the ball/suited to front foot play and I think you'd see a decent difference in our footy.

Jaykespeare88

Runs around alot without doing much, when he does a good thing, he ruins it by trying to one more thing-an extra touch/dribble/pass that badly show his limitations. I put most of the blame for the first goal on Elanga and him, no awareness, consistently and he let players run off him way to easily.

Replace Maguire, Mctominay and AWB by three players who are comfortable on the ball/suited to front foot play and I think you'd see a decent difference in our footy.
I don't think its a coincidence that our drop in form happened when AWB came back into the team. Since Ole went we have 1.3 ppg with AWB in the team, 2.2 without. Dalot is no Cafu but he plays aggressively.

Matic showed you can have a big, strong tackling player like McTominay but with ability on the ball. He's just too old now.

mjstokes85

He's clearly incredibly fit, we can see that from how fast he can run 5K, but he needs to channel it and stop running around like a headless chicken thinking he can do it all, I think he has the potential to be fantastic, he just needs to work on that football brain. I don't think passion or desire are lacking from him, I think he's one of the few who actually cares.

L_O_S_T

I think the other posters have already mentioned, as much as I love his passion, McTominay tends to become a passenger in certain games. He doesn't have the ability to control the game (as a top midfielder does) and he doesn't have that sense of danger to help out in the defensive sense either. His tactical nous and technical ability is still very raw at the top level.

For now he should remain a great squad player, but if we are indeed a club with bigger aspirations, then we would need some heavy investment in the central midfield area.

Gordon Godot

I think the other posters have already mentioned, as much as I love his passion, McTominay tends to become a passenger in certain games. He doesn't have the ability to control the game (as a top midfielder does) and he doesn't have that sense of danger to help out in the defensive sense either. His tactical nous and technical ability is still very raw at the top level.

For now he should remain a great squad player, but if we are indeed a club with bigger aspirations, then we would need some heavy investment in the central midfield area.
He really lacks too many attributes to be a top CM. His touch and close control is not good enough, his mobility is limited, his passing is OK etc. He has a few good games when the midfield is open and he can charge forward, but very poor playing a more defensive shielding role. But then so is Fred.

Status
Not open for further replies.