Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I distinctly remember Fletcher beginning to really grow into his own around 2005/06 when he scored that looping header against Chelsea in the league

That was a real turning point for him and he never looked back. I was one of his harshest critics but he won me and many of his detractors over that season. McTominay has nothing on him. This is revisionism at it's worst
It's not revisionism. It's pure opinion.

For me Fletchers best performances came under his peaknunder a manager like SAF that got the best out of Cleverely.

I think Mctominay's performances for Ole and Rangnick is better on an individual standard minus the legendary manager.

If you don't then that's fine, I can't convince you because it's your opinion- just like you couldn't convince mine.

Grande

I absolutely didn't enjoy watching Fletcher at all. A pure player that benefited from SAF's management like Cleverely.

Fletcher under Ole or Rangnick would be absolutely average.

Mctominay under SAF would be a different level to Cleverely and Fletcher.

Don't really care if people hate him due to the whole club not winning; the guy is not going anywhere - the only thing that will happen is he gets down to a more squad position
I think McTominay is good enough to play for us in midfield, however I think your opinion does Fletcher huge injustice. Fletcher was originally a technical player with beautiful passes, a fairly quick brain and very good vision, who was a bit too slow and too light and not quite brilliant enough to be that kind of player. Then, when he developped his stamina, physicality and aggressiveness to McTominay levels, he was a fantastic midfielder for a season and a half, until he got injured and later sickness took him down a notch. In his best season, he was miles beyond Tom Cleverley, he was one of the best players on one of the two best teams in the world. Says I.

Man City 4:1 Man Utd

Woodenlung

It's a toss up between McTominay and AWB for our worst player today. I try to see the good points in all our players, but I genuinely saw no positives from McTom.

It's been the same story for most of the season too. He's a terrible passer and tries to stay off the ball as much as possible. That would be acceptable if he was a player adept at screening the defence and cutting out opposition attacks. But he can't do that either. He's constantly caught 20 yards too far up the pitch and in no position to affect the play when the opposition counters. He was given oraise fir his oerformance against Leeds a few weeks ago, but I thought he was dreadful. Constantly gave the ball away and just kicked players.

He's genuinely dreadful and I struggle to see him starting for most bottom 6 Premier League sides. It's just perplexing that we've been left in a situation where he starts most games for us.

United in sin

Another rubbish game from a nothing player. The next manager will have to fight the internal politics to keep this player off the first team sheet

Bobski

Our highest rated player on Whoscored today. Metrics for the win.

He has no idea how to play DM, no positional awareness, wasn't his use of the ball that was a problem today, just got bypassed so easily with combination play. He will go an tackle and win balls in the air but reading the game defensively like somone like Carrick did is beyond him, he is too impulsive.

Last edited:

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
He is what he is. Scott will always try. Is that enough though? No, not for me.

3KDré

He is out of his depth but we have no one else that offers some physicality, mobility and some sort of protection in front of our back 4 so I can't really blame him for that.

United in sin

He is out of his depth but we have no one else that offers some physicality, mobility and some sort of protection in front of our back 4 so I can't really blame him for that.
For all this nonsense talk of the physicality he brings I don't see other top clubs suffering from not having players of his ilk. Protection? Seriously what are on you on about? He offers nothing in the way of protection for the back four. Nothing. His erratic passing and poor positioning adds pressure to the back and forces others in midfield to fall back. Matic should've started

marktan

For all this nonsense talk of the physicality he brings I don't see other top clubs suffering from not having players of his ilk. Protection? Seriously what are on you on about? He offers nothing in the way of protection for the back four. Nothing. His erratic passing and poor positioning adds pressure to the back and forces others in midfield to fall back. Matic should've started
He does. He gets up and down the pitch and slots into the back 4 when needed. Every other big team deploys a DM. The problem with Scott is that unlike the Fabinho's, Casemiros etc of the world, his on the ball passing / press resistance isn't very good.

Irwin99

Our highest rated player on Whoscored today. Metrics for the win.

He has no idea how to play DM, no positional awareness, wasn't his use of the ball that was a problem today, just got bypassed so easily with combination play. He will go an tackle and win balls in the air but reading the game defensively like somone like Carrick did is beyond him, he is too impulsive.
As i said in the post match thread, i'm sure both he and fred got quite a few tackles/interceptions in today that look good on the stats but City absolutely toyed with them in the centre. They might as well have not been there at all at times.

I like the guy but i'm not sure he's United quality. Seems to play better further up the pitch.

United in sin

He does. He gets up and down the pitch and slots into the back 4 when needed. Every other big team deploys a DM. The problem with Scott is that unlike the Fabinho's, Casemiros etc of the world, his on the ball passing / press resistance isn't very good.
I don't agree. We might as well be playing a man short with him on the field. City walked right through that midfield and the brainless McTominay jogged back several times as a response to danger he failed to ahead of him. He's a liability and offers nothing

Bobski

As i said in the post match thread, i'm sure both he and fred got quite a few tackles/interceptions in today that look good on the stats but City absolutely toyed with them in the centre. They might as well have not been there at all at times.

I like the guy but i'm not sure he's United quality. Seems to play better further up the pitch.
City and their cleverness on the ball and synergy just expose him defensively . Good option against lesser sides or if we are just going to sit, but play wide open against a team like City and he will look like a lumbering statue. To be fair he and Fred were constantly overloaded, our CB's had no-one to mark, it was a shitshow defensively.

Sylar

He tries but he hides behind opponents when we have the ball

Today he wasn't even getting into their players. Then again couldnt get close

united for life

they were too fluid for us. Scot struggles against slower teams, he’ll surely struggle against a fast pace team like city. He wasn’t able to keep up. I’m not surprised, my expectations are too low from him

Another in half a team full of utter shite. You’d get away with Scott, or Lindelöf, or Fred, or Elanga etc if all the other players around them were top drawer, but they are surrounded by other average players.
The sheer amount of times we just give away quality possession is mind boggling at this level. We’re the perfect team for City to face, and that second half was truly horrendous.

Oranges038

Just not good enough on the ball or off it.

His effort or lack of to put in challenge on that 4th goal was a joke.

Needs to go and he can take Fred with him.

Asger

Surely we have some dm player in u23 or u18? Can’t be worse.

Roboc7

He doesn’t even try hard enough, he gets lauded for his effort levels because we have low standards. Look at him for their first goal, no desire or attempt to impact the game just jogging along ball watching. Anytime he’s bypassed (which is a lot) he jogs back ball watching and pointing, City’s players aren’t just miles better, they are more committed and work a lot harder.

I’ll be delighted when I don’t have to watch him play anymore, I recognise that will take years because we are a shit show and he’s been built up to be something he isn’t but one day.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He wasnt our worst player today or anything close. Bruno Fred and Pogba all worse.

lilcurt

Not good enough.

Gets away with it in the media because he is an academy kid, nevertheless he shouldn't be a Manchester United player. No better than the Gibson's and Chadwick's that came before him.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Absolutely mental the abuse he gets on here. Should change his name to Bruno McTominay and hit some penalties to get a free pass.

He was by far the best midfielder you had on the pitch today.

RedIan

Maybe he wasn’t the worst player but he was poor, bottom line is if we want to improve as a team we need to get a new midfield that doesn’t involve MCFred. They are Watford level with Cleverly and not man United level.

Asger

Absolutely mental the abuse he gets on here. Should change his name to Bruno McTominay and hit some penalties to get a free pass.

He was by far the best midfielder you had on the pitch today.
Did Putin tell you this? More lies.

hobbers

He's a Watford level of player but it's nice he got through the interview without a grovelling apology.

Good attitude, shame about his lack of ability.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Completed agree. It seems the easy thing to do by roasting McTominay.
Usually the way. He's one of the least talented players so easy target for fans. Not the answer for us obviously but there you go.

If Pogba put in the miles Scotty did with the natural ability he has then he'd be a player. But he doesn't. KDB once again shows him up on the big stage.

3KDré

Surely we have some dm player in u23 or u18? Can’t be worse.
Only one that is remotely ready is on loan to Notts Forrest and that's Garner. Even then you can't ask any young player to cover defensively for both Bruno and Pogba in the most vital position on the pitch arguably.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He played quite well today. For once the McFred axis was a long way from our main problem. It was almost everyone else that shat the bed.
So you think he was completely fine for both first two goals?

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Our standards have fallen so low that we're now defending the Clevelrley's/Gibsons of this era.
Absolute shambles this club has become.

Status
Not open for further replies.