5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentSmith

Judging by the reactions it was probably one of the more interestingly divisive performances we’ve seen recently. And that largely stems from the fact it was McTominay at his best and his worst, with his poorer attributes exacerbated by the role we’re unreasonably asking him to fill.

His attitude and determination was exactly what is required in an aggressive away day derby (played in terrible conditions). He overstepped the mark in terms of poor tackles, leaving him at risk of a red, but that relentless ‘dog’ mentality would’ve been sorely missing from the midfield without him. Off the ball I thought McTominay was great, save for some poor moments positionally, and his attitude was superb.

Conversely, though, McTominay was a liability on the ball, both in terms of his passing and his ability to progress play quickly. He seems a midfielder who’s allergic to the ball when we do have possession and really struggles receiving the ball in deeper positions. It’s vital we find a proper CDM for next season to enable McTominay to function in his best role - as a box-to-box midfielder, used primarily from the bench. Starting him as a defensive midfielder is asking too much of him and his skillset.

Those saying he had a great game are missing his obvious technical deficiencies and the ways in which they affect the team. Those saying he had a terrible game are overlooking the nature of a hostile derby, and the importance of McTominay’s mentality in navigating that. There’s a place for him as a valuable squad member at the club, due to his attitude and versatility, but the minute you’re reliant upon him as a starter your midfield is lacking. Particularly if you play him in a role he doesn’t suit.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Most of the comments on here completely fail to account for the circumstances todays game was played in.

Criticising players for poor passing when the pitch was waterlogged and the ball was barely moving. McTominay adjusted better than most to the situation. Too many on both sides were trying to be too clever with the ball, it took until the end of the game for them to realise it wasn’t going to work with the pitch like that.

Didn’t have McTominay as one of the absolute top performers today, but he was fine. As usual the agenda against him on here is ridiculous.

AFC NimbleThumb

Customary good game against Leeds. It shocking how much praise this guy gets when he plays well no matter how many poor games precede it. He isn’t good enough, a good game against Leeds doesn’t change that.

Judging by the reactions it was probably one of the more interestingly divisive performances we’ve seen recently. And that largely stems from the fact it was McTominay at his best and his worst, with his poorer attributes exacerbated by the role we’re unreasonably asking him to fill.

His attitude and determination was exactly what is required in an aggressive away day derby (played in terrible conditions). He overstepped the mark in terms of poor tackles, leaving him at risk of a red, but that relentless ‘dog’ mentality would’ve been sorely missing from the midfield without him. Off the ball I thought McTominay was great, save for some poor moments positionally, and his attitude was superb.

Conversely, though, McTominay was a liability on the ball, both in terms of his passing and his ability to progress play quickly. He seems a midfielder who’s allergic to the ball when we do have possession and really struggles receiving the ball in deeper positions. It’s vital we find a proper CDM for next season to enable McTominay to function in his best role - as a box-to-box midfielder, used primarily from the bench. Starting him as a defensive midfielder is asking too much of him and his skillset.

Those saying he had a great game are missing his obvious technical deficiencies and the ways in which they affect the team. Those saying he had a terrible game are overlooking the nature of a hostile derby, and the importance of McTominay’s mentality in navigating that. There’s a place for him as a valuable squad member at the club, due to his attitude and versatility, but the minute you’re reliant upon him as a starter your midfield is lacking. Particularly if you play him in a role he doesn’t suit.
Spot on.

He's the only player we have who can play the role he's being asked to play, but he's not good enough at it to be a starter, nor is he good enough to displace others further up the pitch. He's a solid squad player.

Last edited:

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
A great man for a battle like today. He might be limited but he gets stuck in and is prepared to hurt an opponent. An old fashioned type of player and was a big part of this win.

United in sin

Where did I say that. Look at you go for no reason.
I mean this is the player performance thread. If you didn't follow up with anything else actually related to his performance I'd assume you considered it good. Just me. My bad

Oranges038

Likes playing against Leeds.

Tough game out there but he put in a hell of a shift, put his foot in did a lot of dirty work. Still leaves a lot to be desired on the ball.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Can't fault his effort.

He does need to be a little careful as on another day he could have easily seen red - but he played the occasion and i'd much rather him be on the aggressive side.

I bet he absolutely loved playing today, rare to get an old fashioned mud swamp slid tackle match :D

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
6/10 today. Bit clumsy but provided a base for the other midfielders to play which is exactly what his coach asked him to do so can't quibble about it.

Ludens the Red

If it was five aside at goals on Astro turf it’d have been of the greatest ever performances. Unfortunately it wasn’t five a side. I like that he was putting himself about and giving everything but he spent most of the game running away from his position. You can’t be doing that with Pogba and Bruno ahead of you. If it wasn’t for Leeds having probably the worse midfield I’ve ever seen, that could have been problematic.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Most of the comments on here completely fail to account for the circumstances todays game was played in.

Criticising players for poor passing
when the pitch was waterlogged and the ball was barely moving. McTominay adjusted better than most to the situation. Too many on both sides were trying to be too clever with the ball, it took until the end of the game for them to realise it wasn’t going to work with the pitch like that.

Didn’t have McTominay as one of the absolute top performers today, but he was fine. As usual the agenda against him on here is ridiculous.
That's just Mctominay. He's a rubbish passer. And starts for Manchester United in midfield.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I feel he will improve under RR. His tenacity needs to be matched by technical skill and awareness
IMO big problem is his movement. He doesn't make himself available for pass and he is more of a dribbler than passer which is not good for a CM.

He makes it difficult for team to build the attack as he doesn't move well, which means CBs usually go for more riskier passes. CM should be the bridge between defense and attack, with McT, he just lacks the ability. Fred does it better but he is better as box to box than as DM.

He plays well few times but not good enough to start regularly.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I feel he will improve under RR. His tenacity needs to be matched by technical skill and awareness
He may improve but it's hard to see ever becoming a good passer. I've heard that he doesn't even start for Scotland in Central midfield? He should be that guy we bring in to disrupt some games. Like Fellaini.

Bwuk

He may improve but it's hard to see ever becoming a good passer. I've heard that he doesn't even start for Scotland in Central midfield? He should be that guy we bring in to disrupt some games. Like Fellaini.
He doesn’t but that’s because of Scotland having good options in CM, but nothing at CB. He plays RCB in a 3 for Scotland.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Thought he has been excellent the past few games, and yesterday in particular.

I love his tenacity, his desire and his work rate.
Some games you just need bite to the midfield, and that was yesterday.

I still think he's slightly weak positionally but that maybe down to not being a natural deeper lying midfielder.

Polar

McT was very upset when a Leeds player tackled Elanga with too much force yesterday (at the end of the game). Must say I had a laugh when I watched McT’s reaction, especially because hard tackles was McT’s signature in second half.

This isn’t a critic of McT, but more a fun fact. I’ve missed the Keane spirit, and the warrior face of McT is what gets closest these days :lol:

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
We ain’t League 2 so we should be expecting a bit more than pashun
How many times have we lost games over the past 5 years because of a lack of intensity from our players, though?

Not singling you out personally as it's a common theme in this thread, but if McTominay wasn't playing that game yesterday we'd have been bullied off the pitch.

Craig Ward

McTom is becoming like marmite - some love his rugged workrate while others hate his lack of ability on the ball.

I'm not a fan, not as a regular starter in central midfield for us. We should expect and demand much more quality.

I'm a big admirer of Mctomineys attitude and workrate - you cant knock the lad for commitment and effort. It knocks him up a level. But much similar to Brandon Williams - that can only get you so far without natural technical footballing ability.

Scott McTominey has his uses, squad player at best. he should never ever in million years starts regularly for a club like ours. Never.

He's positionally poor with and certainly without the ball.
His passing is limited.
Making 2 good tackles a game shouldn't be the benchmark for us. A midfielder should look too influence the game, dictate tempo, control things. McTom does none of these things. If you actually watch him - he's never looking to get himself in space to receive the ball or scanning what's ahead. If he receives the ball from a CB, he's never aware of his surroundings, he's never on the half turn. It's almost as if he's in space by accident and he cant wait to get rid of the ball - so takes the first easy pass.

Workrate and commitment are seriously lacking in our squad, i;m often critical of how lazy we are, and i'll always applaud that with McTom - but you need technical quality to accompany that. Poor mans Tom Cleverly stealing a living at the moment due to us having little options at DM.

He does his best, and he has the odd good moment. He's stealing a living starting regular for us. He wouldn't get a game for many teams in the entire division at DM - consider that. Who is he better than in the league who plays his position? Not many

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Spot on.

He's the only player we have who can play the role he's being asked to play, but he's not good enough at it to be a starter, nor is he good enough to displace others further up the pitch. He's a solid squad player.
We want our midfielder to lose the ball and foul a lot?

We want our midfielder to lose the ball and foul a lot?
How else would we know our centre backs need upgrading if they weren't being run at every game?

By the only player who can play that position I mean the only player who is over 6ft and actually attempts to run and tackle.

troylocker

Was lucky to stay on the pitch for a full 90 and should have been subbed off. Works his socks off, but needs a head on his shoulders when booked.
31 pressings pretty much sums up his performance, a constant pain in the arse.

Andy_Cole

McTom is becoming like marmite - some love his rugged workrate while others hate his lack of ability on the ball.

I'm not a fan, not as a regular starter in central midfield for us. We should expect and demand much more quality.

I'm a big admirer of Mctomineys attitude and workrate - you cant knock the lad for commitment and effort. It knocks him up a level. But much similar to Brandon Williams - that can only get you so far without natural technical footballing ability.

Scott McTominey has his uses, squad player at best. he should never ever in million years starts regularly for a club like ours. Never.

He's positionally poor with and certainly without the ball.
His passing is limited.
Making 2 good tackles a game shouldn't be the benchmark for us. A midfielder should look too influence the game, dictate tempo, control things. McTom does none of these things. If you actually watch him - he's never looking to get himself in space to receive the ball or scanning what's ahead. If he receives the ball from a CB, he's never aware of his surroundings, he's never on the half turn. It's almost as if he's in space by accident and he cant wait to get rid of the ball - so takes the first easy pass.

Workrate and commitment are seriously lacking in our squad, i;m often critical of how lazy we are, and i'll always applaud that with McTom - but you need technical quality to accompany that. Poor mans Tom Cleverly stealing a living at the moment due to us having little options at DM.

He does his best, and he has the odd good moment. He's stealing a living starting regular for us. He wouldn't get a game for many teams in the entire division at DM - consider that. Who is he better than in the league who plays his position? Not many
You’re a bit harsh. I think Fletcher is the best comparison. Hated him being a regular starter but such a big game player. McT could be our big game player. Just keep him away when we want to dominate the ball against smaller teams.

lex talionis

We clearly need an upgrade on McTominay but he did put in the kind of shift yesterday we needed. His workrate is immense, as is his foulrate, but to go from a fourth place side to a PL-contending side we desperately need to add a proper CDM. We can bring on McTominay in spot situations to deal with thuggish sides or close out matches that are wrapped up in the 70th minute.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Folk really overstate his passing "inability". McTominay is very good at pinging those vertical passes along the floor into the front three when possible, and otherwise tends to just play a relatively simple passing game. He is not a playmaker and never will be, but his passing is absolutely fine for a box-to-box midfielder.

Status
Not open for further replies.