5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

NLunited

We don‘t need three playmakers in midfield, but just one or two.

McTominay is a midfield destroyer alla Fellaini, has decent ball carrying ability and is a threat in front of goal.

He will be used a lot. He will be universally loved by the fanbase just like Fellaini. wink

I‘d like to see a dlp come in though, because playing Fred and McTominay at the same time does not give great midfield balance.

It‘s possible Eriksen will slot in instead of one of Fred/McTominay if we don‘t get Frenkie de Jong.

jem

We don‘t need three playmakers in midfield, but just one or two.

McTominay is a midfield destroyer alla Fellaini, has decent ball carrying ability and is a threat in front of goal.

He will be used a lot. He will be universally loved by the fanbase just like Fellaini. wink

I‘d like to see a dlp come in though, because playing Fred and McTominay at the same time does not give great midfield balance.

It‘s possible Eriksen will slot in instead of one of Fred/McTominay if we don‘t get Frenkie de Jong.
I feel like this was written in 2019.

Skills

Snitch
Not sure I fully agree with the not being in the squad bit tbh. Players like Scott are good at breaking up play etc. Fergie used to play Phil Neville in Central midfield at times for the same reason. Scott is a good option off the bench of you're in a scrap...... agree he shouldn't be considered a starter though and the last 3 years have been a joke !
He's not.

GlasgowCeltic

Not even sure Fred would be worse up front than Smith was, Smith was shite at everything

dubplate warrior

Not sure I fully agree with the not being in the squad bit tbh. Players like Scott are good at breaking up play etc. Fergie used to play Phil Neville in Central midfield at times for the same reason. Scott is a good option off the bench of you're in a scrap...... agree he shouldn't be considered a starter though and the last 3 years have been a joke !
Complete myth, he struggles to be in the right place at the right time as it is and is a very reactive player. Good destroyers are proactive and already in the right place at the right time, they also can still pass a football. I think his greatest use would be to man mark specific players out of the game, however he is always going to be terrible at football. It's depressing seeing him in a United shirt and I can't wait for the day where he no longer plays here.

surf

He hasn't improved at all in the last couple of years and will need to pronto if he's going to be first choice for the new manager. I think Fred will be preferred to McT.

Diamond Chap

Supports
Airdrieonians
Scott played well again today.
Not a stand out, perhaps that's for others in the team.
He fought hard, was tidy in possession, seems to be looking for the ball more.
Certainly many more positives than negatives.
Will benefit further from good coaching and settled team structure as well as competition for places.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Probably the only player I see no improvement from, he tries - the effort is there but so poor retention, touch, technical abilities. He really won't work well here and Fred is dragged down by their affiliation for me, Fred has started well and finished last season well.

Aeryis

Will benefit further from good coaching and settled team structure as well as competition for places.
De Jong seriously needs to come in order to show all the fans here what a good performance from a midfielder looks like. You are nuts if you think this guy is anywhere beyond relegation level.

Literally one of your criteria is "well, at least today he tried looking for the ball more."

ffs mate, have some standards.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
IMO he will struggle a lot if we are to play more progressive football, because I think his spatial awareness is poor. Would be better off if he played on the right side in midfield 3. I really thought he's the player we can upgrade easily, but doesn't seem like it's happening.

clarkydaz

De Jong seriously needs to come in order to show all the fans here what a good performance from a midfielder looks like. You are nuts if you think this guy is anywhere beyond relegation level.

Literally one of your criteria is "well, at least today he tried looking for the ball more."

ffs mate, have some standards.
:lol:

baby steps

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Liked his performance.

Looks better the further up the pitch he is.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I think he hasn't looked as lost as I thought in this new system. He's not done anything wrong but he also doesn't add much. Like Fred, Zidane, Savage and VdB all contributed more in his position

ti vu

He's Okay for a back up. He starting does harm for both the team and himself.

Ricardo de la Vega

Complete myth, he struggles to be in the right place at the right time as it is and is a very reactive player. Good destroyers are proactive and already in the right place at the right time, they also can still pass a football. I think his greatest use would be to man mark specific players out of the game, however he is always going to be terrible at football. It's depressing seeing him in a United shirt and I can't wait for the day where he no longer plays here.
This really. Like him as a character but hes nowhere near good enough for this level.

scream

I thought he was our worst midfielder in the first half.
He looked like the weak link.

ti vu

That makes him not okay as back up surely?
If he plays when the result is sealed, so starters can get rested; it's good. Him starting means players around him have to put in for effort, when the game start at 0-0.

He's not exactly liability. Just a hinderance to a well oiled machine at starting point.

Last edited:

JeffFromHK

Can he run? It seems like he's only got one speed
Ya, he never make full speed sprints. He loves jogging at constant speed, with so little change in pace/direction. It is so easy to track him. That's where the say that he "hides from ball" comes from.

AndySmith1990

The biggest single upgrade we could make to the team is to replace him with a good CM

Skills

Snitch
Ya, he never make full speed sprints. He loves jogging at constant speed, with so little change in pace/direction. It is so easy to track him. That's where the say that he "hides from ball" comes from.
Watching him defend counter attacks is horrific. He just coasts back with little to no urgency

lysglimt

Scout
McTominay won 100% of his tackles, and 100% passing success - and is still slaughtered by the fans. Amazing :) I am not saying he was great - but he was a lot better than people give him credit for

Bobski

McTominay won 100% of his tackles, and 100% passing success - and is still slaughtered by the fans. Amazing :) I am not saying he was great - but he was a lot better than people give him credit for
McScapegoat.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
McScapegoat.
Has been for a while, the latest victim of social media groupthink along with Maguire. There was a game last year where the caf well and truly had their pitchforks out for McTominay, and then he was given MotM :lol: Shows the level of cognitive dissonance that goes on just to "be right".

I think Scott will play a significant role this season. One of the things I have yet to see mentioned is that with Martinez being so short for a CB, McTominay's height and physicality could be more valuable. The goal we conceded today was from a set piece after all.

Ive also said for ages that he isnt a DM - the further up the pitch he plays, the more comfortable and confident he tends to look. What he lacks primarily is defensive positioning and awareness.

Bobski

Has been for a while, the latest victim of social media groupthink along with Maguire. There was a game last year where the caf well and truly had their pitchforks out for McTominay, and then he was given MotM :lol: Shows the level of cognitive dissonance that goes on just to "be right".

I think Scott will play a significant role this season. One of the things I have yet to see mentioned is that with Martinez being so short for a CB, McTominay's height and physicality could be more valuable. The goal we conceded today was from a set piece after all.

Ive also said for ages that he isnt a DM - the further up the pitch he plays, the more comfortable and confident he tends to look. What he lacks primarily is defensive positioning and awareness.
Whatever you think of a player you should be able to accept and recognize when a player has performed to a decent standard. Once these threads move towards people being incapable of doing so and it all just one concerted pile on they lose any value when it comes to honestly discussing performance.

I would be happy to see him replaced but if he plays well, say he played well.

The height thing with Martinez is a good point, though not a sexy one. Having one of the better midfielders in the air in the league as a front screen will be a point in his favour.

Diamond Chap

Supports
Airdrieonians
There is further opportunity for Scott to learn from more 'developed' DM's than him.
He has had limited opportunity in that area in recent years.
A settled team structure will help immensely too.

Status
Not open for further replies.