5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

Its the same for Sabitzer and Fred. All of them are better further up, but none of them better than Bruno, or Eriksen for that matter. We desperately need a proper deep lying midfielder.
Who would be your ideal deep lying CM who isn't named De Jong just out of interest

edgecutter

Scotty has once again managed to throw sand in people's eyes. Can't wait for him to pick up his usual shit form and cost us a few points before the cycle starts again.
This, he's been poor and that's nothing new considering he's never really been good enough to begin with.

Lyng

Who would be your ideal deep lying CM who isn't named De Jong just out of interest
Thats very difficult for me to answer since there arent really any out there that do all the things De Jong does. He ticks a lot of specific boxes that we desperately need. He is press resistant, a great passer, good at moving the ball forward and reads the game well.
There are several players that tick some of the boxes, such as Rice or Kimmich, but not all.
Another poster made me look at Dani Ceballos stats and, weirdly enough, he is probably one of the closest to De Jongs stats and profile, but his terrible stint at Arsenal has me a little worried.
If he was cheap enough, it might be worth a punt though.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I’m sure ETH would have seen all his goals and might alter the way he plays him. To be fair to mctominay he has played most of his time with us as one of the 2 DMs. That’s why we ain’t seeing the best from him. He could become very useful if he’s used the right way. Could easily get 10 goals a season if he plays in his preferred role.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Thats very difficult for me to answer since there arent really any out there that do all the things De Jong does. He ticks a lot of specific boxes that we desperately need. He is press resistant, a great passer, good at moving the ball forward and reads the game well.
There are several players that tick some of the boxes, such as Rice or Kimmich, but not all.
Another poster made me look at Dani Ceballos stats and, weirdly enough, he is probably one of the closest to De Jongs stats and profile, but his terrible stint at Arsenal has me a little worried.
If he was cheap enough, it might be worth a punt though.
Considering McT just absolutely dominated Ceballos a few days ago, I think it's safe to say that ain't ever going to happen :lol:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Where were Gavi and Pedri? couldn't see them both because MacTominay was massive.
Jungle is massive. Wicked wicked.

Lyng

Considering McT just absolutely dominated Ceballos a few days ago, I think it's safe to say that ain't ever going to happen :lol:
You should probably never base someones quality on one game, but his stint at Arsenal is a reason to think twice.

mikeyt

A bit like Maguire with England, hopefully McT playing well for Scotland will generate an extra few million in the summer.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
You should probably never base someones quality on one game, but his stint at Arsenal is a reason to think twice.
I know!

I quite like Ceballos to be honest :lol: But I certainly wouldn't want him at United, decent on the ball but is far too light weight and seems to drift in and out of games without every really taking charge.

Lyng

I know!

I quite like Ceballos to be honest :lol: But I certainly wouldn't want him at United, decent on the ball but is far too light weight and seems to drift in and out of games without every really taking charge.
Yeah, like I said it would have to be for free or extremely cheap to be worth it.

2Injurytimegoal

I never be a big fan of MCT, but would happy to see him start against Newcastle as a CM.

This will be a very tough battle in midfield and we need bodies with speed and courage for the 50-50s, and he must have a lot confidence now, with Cas and Sab missing, he should be given a chance.

Even if Eriksen is ready, I would not risk him to start a game like this.

TheRedHearted

If McTominay became a usefu striker it would be the best multiverse ending, would be the least expected thing to come out of the season

TheReligion

Abusive
Would anyone be tempted to play him today? Especially given his form. He must be flying. Just unsure how we can accommodate him as he’s much better close to the opposing goal.

Would mean playing him ahead of Sabitzer/Fred/Bruno

Swedish_Plumber

Would anyone be tempted to play him today? Especially given his form. He must be flying. Just unsure how we can accommodate him as he’s much better close to the opposing goal.

Would mean playing him ahead of Sabitzer/Fred/Bruno
Sub him on as the CF if Wout is stinking the place out.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
It's not the "ideal EtH's way" but i hope we go with McTom - Fred - Sabitzer in midfield (Bruno to the right) and Weghorst up-front. We battle hard, and our quality will take care of the rest.

Dan_F

McTominay: scores two goals from central midfield after arriving in the box late.
Caf: He should move out of midfield and play upfront - where we need someone playing with their back to goal.

Chief123

Cyprus is his level.

anything over £20m from Newcastle is a bonus. Such a bang average player.

theballisround

Usually I do not stand him as he epitomizes what is wrong with our club, giving chances to mediocre players but today he wasn't that bad. The team setup really doesn't benefit of his forward runs.

Mmm-Qatarian

He's a complete liability played as a defensive midfielder. He simply cannot do it effectively.

I have frankly got no idea how he is still even an option for us in that position. It's absolutely insane to me.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
So so poor. No forward passing at all. Just pass it backwards all the time to the nearest player.

Badly need Eriksen and Casemiro back.

Idxomer

Newcastle have about 5 midfielders better than him and a couple of them are actually forwards.

Roboc7

Back to reality, not sure why Newcastle would want him or what benefit it would be for him either to go there and sit in the bench.

Was equally as bad in both roles he played, people often list one of his qualities as being able to play in multiple positions, just a shame he’s not good in any of them.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He wasn’t great but worryingly I didn’t think he was the worst player for us today.

Bobski

McTominay: scores two goals from central midfield after arriving in the box late.
Caf: He should move out of midfield and play upfront - where we need someone playing with their back to goal.
Looks like Ten Hag was on that mad thought train.

Only possible role for him is in a deep 2 with some freedom to make late runs into the box, certainly can't play as either a lone DM or that stupid role he had in the first half.

First half was a predictable waste of time, got a guy who lacks spatial awareness playing in CM, push him into a 10 role where he needs to take the ball with his back to goal, doesn't have the ability for it.

Shit.

slored1

He is simply dreadful and there are no reasons for him to be playing. Makes a wrong decision every 10 seconds he is on the pitch.

AndySmith1990

It's about time he's shown the door. We're left with a shit squad and bemoaning our luck in missing keybplayers because we hold on to terrible players like him for so long. He's not a decent squad player. He's not a decent option. He doesn't "do a job" he's just plain shit. As for what he does for Scotland I couldn't give a monkeys. Scotland are shite too

Sylar

The one thing he's good at is getting the ball and running with it. Did it once and won a corner. That's about it.

Had a few times to clear the ball too. Him starting these matches for us is not a positive

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It’s long been established that he’s a very poor footballer at this point, so quite simply, every time he appears for us and plays as he is expected it is Ten Hag who deserves all the criticism at this point. I am still a bit angry with Ten Hag that this guy even made it to September as a United player, but he cannot make it to this September.

Mmm-Qatarian

I actually think that McTominay does do a job for certain teams. It's just absolutely nothing like the job that we'd need him to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.