Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
It is strange his passing. Some days he will pass with conviction and pull out some good ones out but he loses confidence so quickly after a couple of poor passes. The main issue is how bad he is at getting on the ball as often as the position requires, makes him a poor option as a lone DM for a possession team.
Thats it in a nutshell, the getting on the ball thing. There have been games and goal assists where some of his passes have been sublime.
Just wish he was more effective in finding space off the ball to receive to go forward.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
He’s always been capable of scoring goals. It’s just that for some reason he has been consistently asked to play a holding role which emphasises all of his weaknesses and none of his strengths.

McTominay has always been at his best in the opponents third, when he is able to drive forward with the ball and be a goal threat. If we do sell him (which I think would be a mistake but won’t shed any tears) and he gets played in that sort of role, you just know the comments will start flooding in about ”why couldn’t he do that at United?!”

Eric_the_Red99

His best position, like Fred, is as a box-to-box midfielder with freedom to run into the box. Casemiro enables us to at least try that.
Yes, it’s crazy that we played both as holding midfielders for so long, when neither can really do that job. I guess the logic was that together they’d add up to at least one effective DM, but a lot of the time they added up to even less than they were as individuals.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I think your instincts about him belonging further down the pyramid are probably right. I don’t think he’s cut out for tactical football. If he’s told to go out and enjoy himself, that probably gets the best out of him.
Ye he’s never come across as like a tactical player. He’s more of a player that runs around like an headless chicken. Perfect for a manager like Solskjær who himself isn’t very tactical.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
He’s always been capable of scoring goals. It’s just that for some reason he has been consistently asked to play a holding role which emphasises all of his weaknesses and none of his strengths.

McTominay has always been at his best in the opponents third, when he is able to drive forward with the ball and be a goal threat. If we do sell him (which I think would be a mistake but won’t shed any tears) and he gets played in that sort of role, you just know the comments will start flooding in about ”why couldn’t he do that at United?!”
Exactly.

We have a midfield full of #8s. Casemiro is the only #6 in the squad. Which is why when Casemiro is out our midfielders look lost. None of them excel at doing what he does.

The sad truth is we have too many of the same type of player. It ends up making them look worse when they play together.

Of McTominay, Fred, Sabitzer and Van de Beek you could lose three. Effectively they're all just fill ins for Eriksen. Then take the money you save and buy a Casemiro back up. It'd be best for all concerned.

dalriada

Exactly.

We have a midfield full of #8s. Casemiro is the only #6 in the squad. Which is why when Casemiro is out our midfielders look lost. None of them excel at doing what he does.

The sad truth is we have too many of the same type of player. It ends up making them look worse when they play together.

Of McTominay, Fred, Sabitzer and Van de Beek you could lose three. Effectively they're all just fill ins for Eriksen. Then take the money you save and buy a Casemiro back up. It'd be best for all concerned.
Although bear in mind that Sabitzer is only on loan because Eriksen is out injured and van de Beek has been virtually unused since he arrived, which leaves McT and Fred as backups. I take the point, though, that we need a backup for Casemiro and none on the list fits that bill.

Red71

I’m going to get pelters for this but here goes…prior to selling McT at the end of the season, the lad needs to take Weghorst’s spot in the team. If ETH is so dead set on playing an average, ill suited to an AM/No.10 role, big fella up top, why not stick McT there instead!? At least until Tony is fit again!

He is faster than WW, a better presser, better in the air, knows where the goals are and is a better striker of the ball. Is he the answer…? Probably not but it depends on what the question is really…if the question happens to be “is Big Scott better than WW?”, then the answer is probably yes!

dalriada

Exactly.

Incidentally, I'm mystified as to why we end up with this problem of too many of the same players. When van Gaal arrived, one of his first comments was "I have too many Number 10s" and he duly pared the squad back. Then Mourinho arrives and wants two players for each position. Now we effectively have no striker apart from the wholly undependable Martial and an excess in other parts of the pitch. The answer from a lot of fans, of course, will be that it's because we have no DOF.

RedCurry

Yes, it’s crazy that we played both as holding midfielders for so long, when neither can really do that job. I guess the logic was that together they’d add up to at least one effective DM, but a lot of the time they added up to even less than they were as individuals.
That logic is sound but as we all know, it doesn’t really work like that. DM is a specialized position. Very few players in the world are actually good at this role. On the other hand box-to-box midfielders come with different skill sets but they all excel closer to the goal. Fred played more advanced in those few games under Carrick and looked a different player. McTominay looks good player when he’s allowed to run with the ball, has a great shot, can head the ball etc.

Diamond Chap

Supports
Airdrieonians
Ye he’s never come across as like a tactical player. He’s more of a player that runs around like an headless chicken. Perfect for a manager like Solskjær who himself isn’t very tactical.
A headless chicken that just scored two goals against Spain

dalriada

I’m going to get pelters for this but here goes…prior to selling McT at the end of the season, the lad needs to take Weghorst’s spot in the team. If ETH is so dead set on playing an average, ill suited to an AM/No.10 role, big fella up top, why not stick McT there instead!? At least until Tony is fit again!

He is faster than WW, a better presser, better in the air, knows where the goals are and is a better striker of the ball. Is he the answer…? Probably not but it depends on what the question is really…if the question happens to be “is Big Scott better than WW?”, then the answer is probably yes!
On the basis of his performances in the two Scotland games he could make a good case. Whenever I've been asked in recent seasons about McT, my answer has always been that he is best as a box-to-box player and we don't play with a box-to-box player, so he ends up playing whatever round hole he fits in at the time. He certainly has a good shot and a good instinct for goal - one of my favourite goals of recent seasons was his goal against City in March 2020. I'm not sure he has Weghorst's knack of drawing opposing players away, but I wouldn't be against giving it a try.

edcunited1878

I have said it before, Scott should be up front.
He didn't score his goals for Scotland as a forward. It all came from him being in the box coming from midfield behind a center forward, especially the two goals against Cyprus.

His two goals today were goals we've seen from him at United. He gets goal side against the opponent's midfielder and the ball gets to him for a shot on goal. First goal today was shit goal keeping by Kepa, absolutely brutal, but the fact is McTominay ran past his marker and the marker then lost him in the box allowing Scott to shoot on goal.

Second goal was a great connection on the half volley after he ran late into the box looking for scraps which happens when you're in position/get position on your opponent.

Abraxas

Scores two goals as a midfielder given license to go forward. Result: play him as a striker.

If he's not going to get a forward thinking midfield role, which given the manager prefers Fred seems unlikely, then he doesn't really have a place in the side. And no he's probably not better than Weghorst, Weghorst has goals in the triple digits over his career. It's a different ball game leading the line to charging into the box, the striker has much more of the defenders attention, which Scott would also struggle with as much as Weghorst. Completely different way of gaining space on the opposition.

Weggy is pretty poor but I think Scott would be just as diabolical. If he can't pick up the ball off a defender how's he going to do it against aggressive centre halves.

Lee565

He has the luxury of having a lot more space on the pitch when playing for Scotland, a lot of players can look when given time and space but that gets taken away when playing for a club like united.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Youth team level player apparently. :lol:

RedDevilRoshi

He’s deployed in a different role under Steve Clarke as Clarke gives him the license to go forward. The best part of his game is in the attacking 3rd. Get forward as much as possible and support the lone striker. Played that role to an absolute tee tonight and I am so happy for the big man.

He ain’t an out and out DM/DLP which is the role he’s deployed for at Man Utd.

Still think the best option for him is to seek pastures new elsewhere in the summer. Definitely more than good enough to be a regular starter for a midtable Prem club.

Zetrio2002

Time to play Mcterminator more! You always need young and fast player in the squad!

Marcus

Well done Scott! Hope this will inspire him to greater heights with United.

AshRK

If we decide to sell him we news to hold out for decent price. Not the bs of £20m. He can be a valuable asset and we should easily ask for £35m.

Status
Not open for further replies.