Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
We've been down this road before with him. He was decent today, but every other game he has had this season has been average to abysmal. He needs to be moved on and not kept around blocking a youth prospects time for mins
We don’t have any youth prospects that can play defensive midfield. He should be moved on if/when we sign a top quality backup for Casemiro, meanwhile McT is the best backup we have.

NZT-One

I am not his biggest fan and was a bit worried when he came on but he did his job really well and defended suprisingly well. I think, he might have been in more trouble had So'ton really upped the tempo and focussed more on the center. But Martinez and Varane made sure that this wasn't an option. Credit where credit is due - well done, McTominay.

NZT-One

That nearly own goal scared me. Can he play with Bruno in a midfield middle two until Casemiro returns? Watching him today seems like he’s quite capable of it
He might in case we find ourselves again with 10 men. Bruno is way more incapable of playing in a midfield two than McTominay is. As long as Casemiro is out, it should be McFred again and Bruno in front but the focussed midfield-supporting version of him that we have seen in the EL last week please.

jem

We desperately need the McTominay from the early part of the season over these next 4 games. I don't think it's any exaggeration to say that our top 4 hopes depend on it.

lex talionis

Scotty had a few moments today but he still seems so awkward with a football at his feet, which is an odd thing for a man who's a professional footballer. But he put in a decent shift today.

Abraxas

Quite decent I thought. I guess being down to 10 put a rocket up his arse because you know you need to come on and do a Herculean job in that situation. The chaos suits him more than a tactical game.

CG1010

Was amazing against Southampton. Defensively superb but also made a very nice pass out wide to the right hand side.

That nearly own goal scared me. Can he play with Bruno in a midfield middle two until Casemiro returns? Watching him today seems like he’s quite capable of it
It was Southampton. Its not going to work against anybody above the relegation zone. We need to work out how best to fit two of him, Sabitzer and Fred together in the middle.

Spaghetti

Mom's
He did ok. This wasn’t only his fault, but he needs to look for the ball more. The defenders often had 0 options to pass to, which led to losing the ball or hoofing.

Mike Smalling

Really good performance yesterday. I feel like he has gotten a lot of shit he doesn't deserve this season. Mostly he has been good under ETH.

We will need him over the next 4-5 games now, so he needs to step up.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Sometimes, in like a one-off single game/half (like yesterday) his passing range will be really excellent... and you wonder why he can't just do it all the time.

Bobski

Sometimes, in like a one-off single game/half (like yesterday) his passing range will be really excellent... and you wonder why he can't just do it all the time.
I think he might have rather brittle confidence in general, which is often seen in his reluctance to drop for the ball. When he gets his tail up and starts hitting his passes with conviction he can pull out some decent ones between the lines. Sometimes he just can't get his feet moving fast enough to take advantage of space, or rushes it because of that and takes a poor touch.

Siorac

He attempted 16 passes yesterday and completed 13. So I'd say it's simply just the small sample size that makes it look better than usual.

He was good at tackling and clearing the ball. The usual problem of simply not providing a passing option for his teammates was still there. The numbers, once again, speak for themselves: Casemiro attempted 27 passes in 30 minutes while McTominay had 16 in roughly 50 minutes... even when he does well by his own standards, he presents a problem and makes efficient ball retention damn near impossible.
Why can’t he play like that every game ? He is either really good or totally anonymous.
The game suited him: we sat deep and his job was to put himself about and get the ball away as far from our goal as possible. He can't play like this every game because when we want to play on the front foot he's more or less useless. His best games usually come in backs-to-the-wall efforts when he can keep making strong tackles and clearances.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout

Happy to see this even though this will be followed by "that's a 100 too many" etc. A United academy product, gives his 100% every time he steps onto the pitch, wears his heart on his sleeve, never complains about anything. Not good enough to be a starter but not as bad as some claim him to be. I'm kind of struggling to find a suitable role/position for him, but if he's happy with the limited role helping out when needed, I'd keep Scotty. Him being a homegrown player I feel we might even need to.

Last edited:

Irwin99

Glad to hear he gave a decent display at the weekend. We really need some of our squad players to step up a bit for the rest of the season.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
EtH:

”About the last game, that is why I didn’t bring him in, Scott McTominay, [as] he had some complaints. We have to see how that will progress in the coming hours and days."

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

Happy to see this even though this will be followed by "that's a 100 too many" etc. A United academy product, gives his 100% every time he steps onto the pitch, wears his heart on his sleeve, never complains about anything. Not good enough to be a starter but not as bad as some claim him to be. I'm kind of struggling to find a suitable role/position for him, but if he's happy with the limited role helping out when needed, I'd keep Scotty. Him being a homegrown player I feel we might even need to.
That’s why he strolls about so much when we’re struggling. This bullshit about academy players giving they’re 100% when on the pitch needs to stop. Scott is a clear example of one who doesn’t. Watching him for years it’s a disgrace to watch him shy away from the ball and causing his teammates to get into trouble because he’s not providing a passing outlet.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Got a feeling he’ll be first out in the summer. He’s at the right age and a decent enough transfer fee for the type of clubs that will be interested too

arnie_ni

Played well defensively. Doesn't know how to get open to receive a pass and left it like we were playing with no midfield when we had the ball.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He makes the whole team so bad when he plays. Don’t think I’ve ever seen one player consistently make shite out of his team’s ability in possession as much as this bloke. Never available for a pass and when he does very occasionally end up on the ball he’ll usually take too much out of it before giving it away. He’s kryptonite to Ten Haag football.

Bobski

The set up with the other 2 midfielders pushing very high up, isolating the DM does not fit his ability at all. Which is really just another reason to move him on, he can't play the role in a constructive sense in the way that Ten Hag needs.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Honestly he's a brain dead footballer, doesn't know his position at all. Sell him in the summer

Kag

Another abysmal performance to add to the collection.

There will come a day, and I hope it’s soon, where we will no longer have to watch this bloke masquerade as a Manchester United midfielder.

midou

Casemiro opens spaces when we have the ball and closes them when the opposite team is in possession. Scott does the opposite - not available for a pass, hiding behind the attackers when our defenders pass it around and has poor defensive work.
Yes, sure - he is not a DMC, but what is his actual position? Never in a million years has the ability on the ball to play 8 or 10.

SAFMUTD

Absolutely awful in possession. He doesn't make himself available it's like playing with a man down when in possession.

Hopefully he'll be gone in the summer we need way way better.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
One of the first things they teach you in football is how to receive the ball on the turn, and this is especially true for centre midfielders, so why can't McTominay do it? On the occasions where he receives the ball from the defense, his body shape is all wrong which forces him to make backwards and sideway passes that don't do much for our tempo.

drdoityourself

Saw Shaw become visibly frustrated with him when he didn't make himself available for a pass. Just doesn't work having a guy who doesn't want the ball when we start attacks with one midfielder providing that link to defense and the other two further up.

His botched clearance gave Fulham that second corner that they scored from. Just isn't good enough, we look really poor when he starts. Just try anyone else there, Mainoo, Fred, Sabitzer, Bruno, the tea lady, Lindelof.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I really hope I don't have to see any more of his hiding from the ball or Maguire's dithering on it after this season, let alone when they're both on the pitch at the same time.

It's just not good for my blood pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.