2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

criticalanalysis

It's why his only role in a decent team is as a gadget player to throw on later in games. He can do that well, just never needs to be starting or even in a rotation for a team that aspires to win things.
Yes and I've said this before, however good he may be in this role, his transfer value for us as a homegrown player is probably worth more to us. The issue is whether we can get the right replacement in as we need a 1st team midfielder with legs, technical ability and a composed head.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He's a physical beast of a player, and just gives his all every game. Have absolutely 0 problem him being part of the squad, especially given every other midfielder bar Mainoo (and Mount if he could stay fit) are much older than him.

90 + 5min

No, he wasn't fantastic today, he looked gassed after about 30 mins and had a couple of noticeable poor moments when he lost the ball that could have led to goals for Liverpool. He kept going though and ended up making an extremely positive contribution to the match overall. People say we can't control the game with McT in midfield (it is the new hiding from the ball meme critique), what Utd team have these guys been watching this season, there is no attempt to control the game, regardless of who plays.

A 6/10 game from McT usually gets treated like a 3 or 4 on here.
Not a chance. In the 120 minute winning header from corner he was running up. He ran all game.

As usual solid performance from him. 7 or 8. Those giving him 3 or 4 are those who can't see football at deeper level.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Was certain he handled the ball in controlling it for Rashford’s goal, fortunately it was too far back for VAR to intervene.

Bobski

Not a chance. In the 120 minute winning header from corner he was running up. He ran all game.

As usual solid performance from him. 7 or 8. Those giving him 3 or 4 are those who can't see football at deeper level.
He recovered as the second half progressed but I still think he looked very leggy in the middle 30. It is not a criticism, he had made a lot of long sprints in that opneing period and there were moments when he was able to get back he just didn't have the sharpness of movement to get close to their midfield as he tried to recover.

The strength of his running is one of his key attributes, that run in extra time for his missed chance was epic, but they all have limits.

kundalini

Goal + assist from Scott; nice weight on the pass to Rashford. No great surprise when he scores this season. Gets into good positions time after time. Decent attempt that went wide late in the game.

It wouldn't even cross my mind to sell him. I don't understand the logic at all. We have so many weak or tiny players that are forever getting bullied off the ball or lose almost every header they compete for. I'm not in favour of starting Scott every match but I'd play him quite a lot over the course of a season.

I wish he had improved more since breaking into the team. It feels to me as though there are good things he does occasionally, that he could produce far more often.

90 + 5min

He recovered as the second half progressed but I still think he looked very leggy in the middle 30. It is not a criticism, he had made a lot of long sprints in that opneing period and there were moments when he was able to get back he just didn't have the sharpness of movement to get close to their midfield as he tried to recover.

The strength of his running is one of his key attributes, that run in extra time for his missed chance was epic, but they all have limits.
For me that is not being gassed. It is taking it slower. Changing ways of running. You can't be sprinting for 90 min. It is impossible. It also came in the same period as Liverpool were going strong. Once that happens we need to pack midfield and be compact for some time before trying to go again. Mainoo on other hand looked done after 60 minutes. Until then he was running constantly. They both did very good job but there needs to be better communication between them so there isn't big gaps in the middle of our team.

Walters_19_MuFc

Tired massively in the second half, as did our other midfielders, but continued to plough, and was unlucky not to score the winner earlier on in extra time. That said, he's come away from the game with a goal and an assist. Can't argue with that.

Ayrlad39

Correct, he won the header from their corner which led to the winning goal, I actually thought he had a great game today

Ayrlad39

Like I said; I am a romantic when it comes to certain players of our club; that usually means a fairly biased view.

Scott may no be mas good as a I make him out be, just has he may not be as bad as the rest of you make him out to be.

All I know is that he has 'showed' up when other players have not.
He's the scapegoat this year always one

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Yes he scored and assisted but what he also did for us was win all the headers and corners in defence when we took out all of our defenders off the pitch, he was so important to the win today. Can't ask for more from him.

arthurka

Loved his game today but his long ball passing is atrocious. But his effort is not up for a debate. Assist and a goal.

Andersons Dietician

He looked spent by the end of the first half and he and Bruno went missing in midfield but somehow he must have got a second wind in extra time. He still doesn’t put the effort in to get back and his passing is woeful but he has big game moments in him every game.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
MCT reminds me of Fellaini, not in his style of play but the function he serves. He offers something different coming in from deep and often finds himself at the end of deflections etc. Ironically he often goes missing in midfield but shows up at the attacking front.

I think that interplay between invisibility and visibility plays with the minds of opponents and lures them into a false sense of security. I would love it if he stayed with us.

Vidooq

Attitude matters.
Its what kept him around the first team under few managers now. You cant fault that with him.

I would keep him as a reserve, but he should never be a first team option if we are aiming for top honours. His passing, availability for a pass or decision making is on a amateur levels at time.

The counter attack where Hojlund wanted the ball played behind the liverpool player, and Scott ended up playing it so much behind him that went to a liverpool player. He does this almost every game. This is just so wrong, school boy stuff. He also has this habit to run to a player and pass the ball from upclose.

There is no way you can dominate or control the midfield with him, with 40 passes per game. But he is golden as a bench option.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Was shocked that he actually found his team mates the majority of the time today and was sure he was going to shoot for Rashfords goal.

If he can put those kind of performances in more regularly, it would be a boon. He's slowly coming off the sell list for me, as will be a great squad player.

Matt851

Its what kept him around the first team under few managers now. You cant fault that with him.

I would keep him as a reserve, but he should never be a first team option if we are aiming for top honours. His passing, availability for a pass or decision making is on a amateur levels at time.

The counter attack where Hojlund wanted the ball played behind the liverpool player, and Scott ended up playing it so much behind him that went to a liverpool player. He does this almost every game. This is just so wrong, school boy stuff. He also has this habit to run to a player and pass the ball from upclose.

There is no way you can dominate or control the midfield with him, with 40 passes per game. But he is golden as a bench option.
I guess the problem with retaining him is he is one of few players that we could get a decent fee for

Rossa

Was shocked that he actually found his team mates the majority of the time today and was sure he was going to shoot for Rashfords goal.

If he can put those kind of performances in more regularly, it would be a boon. He's slowly coming off the sell list for me, as will be a great squad player.
No, no, no - he's adding value. If we want to become a dominant team, McTominay should not be a part of it. Sell him in Summer.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
No, no, no - he's adding value. If we want to become a dominant team, McTominay should not be a part of it. Sell him in Summer.
I agree he shouldn't be starting, but hey, you won't get many squad players that will put in performances like that.

zookeeper

He's our scottish Fellaini. A so-called "impact-player". Nice to have for some tactical games or to use in the last 30 minutes of a match.

Rossa

I agree he shouldn't be starting, but hey, you won't get many squad players that will put in performances like that.
He also should have scored with that huge chance from 12 yards that he bottled with a poor shot, but yeah, he was mostly good yesterday except for playing as a midfielder. If he was 20 with room to improve, I'd definitely keep him, but he's in his prime now. He should never start games for us, as it's like playing with 10 men out of possession and well, also 10 when we are in possession as he is busy hiding somwhere. He does contribute in attack, so he's a good option to have when chasing a win, and he's also decent when we are low blocking defending a lead, but then we basically surrender possession.

I'm torn - I like him, but as a midfielder he's just not good enough for the level we are/should aspire to.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He also should have scored with that huge chance from 12 yards that he bottled with a poor shot, but yeah, he was mostly good yesterday except for playing as a midfielder. If he was 20 with room to improve, I'd definitely keep him, but he's in his prime now. He should never start games for us, as it's like playing with 10 men out of possession and well, also 10 when we are in possession as he is busy hiding somwhere. He does contribute in attack, so he's a good option to have when chasing a win, and he's also decent when we are low blocking defending a lead, but then we basically surrender possession.

I'm torn - I like him, but as a midfielder he's just not good enough for the level we are/should aspire to.
Can't disagree with anything you've said, but I still think he contributes enough to warrant a place in the squad. If he expects to start every week, I think he should move on, but if he's happy being part of a squad and putting in the odd performance, he should stay.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
He's really good in both boxes - great as an extra defender as he is good in the air, and he's excellent in the opposition box. The 80 yards or so in between he's actually atrocious. Such an enigma.
This, you basically have to carry him for 90% of matches. If you want to lose your mind, watch the central part of the park for about 15 mins. What you'll see is the opposition bait McTominay into passionately closing down in an attempt to win a ball he's never going to win, then 2 passes later the ball is behind him, and he's in the centre circle leaving the other CMF alone against numbers. It happens every couple of minutes.

It's great that he's scoring and defending his own box. But we should have forwards who do the former and defenders who do the latter.

Grande

Scott is neither a Casemiro nor a Bernardi Silva, and he has his limitations, but saying you like him comes across as strange when you feel the need to underrate him so extremely (like playing with ten both ways, really?) on a night where he scores, assists, almost scores two more, and generally plays really well against one of the best teams in the world right now.

I agree he shouldn’t be a starter in our best eleven, but yesterday, it would have been a mistake in hindsight to start anyone ahead of him. Unnecessary to hyperbole him negatively then, IMO.

Rossa

Scott is neither a Casemiro nor a Bernardi Silva, and he has his limitations, but saying you like him comes across as strange when you feel the need to underrate him so extremely (like playing with ten both ways, really?) on a night where he scores, assists, almost scores two more, and generally plays really well against one of the best teams in the world right now.

I agree he shouldn’t be a starter in our best eleven, but yesterday, it would have been a mistake in hindsight to start anyone ahead of him. Unnecessary to hyperbole him negatively then, IMO.
I can like him but still not think he's good enough? I was talking about him in general. He was mostly OK to good yesterday, but as a midfielder he's almost non-existent, so yeah, it's often like playing with ten men.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I can like him but still not think he's good enough? I was talking about him in general. He was mostly OK to good yesterday, but as a midfielder he's almost non-existent, so yeah, it's often like playing with ten men.
Except it isn’t given his goal record

Cassidy

ETH has done a good job making him useful (sign of a good coach despite the nay sayers) Hopefully that generates some cash in the summer. Hes a decent player just not the type we really need

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
You can never fault him for effort, and he is ridiculously effective in both boxes. He disappears for large chunks when the game is being played in midfield. Would always be happy with him being in the squad.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Very useful player to have as a squad option, likeable too. He's been getting a lot of criticism for what he ISN'T, meaning an actual midfielder. Eth has made the right use of him.

The problem is he just shouldn't be 2nd/3rd choice in midfield, rather an attacking player we can throw in if needed.

Team setup with one midfielder is another story and totally on ETH, not McTominay.

yardieUnited

I cant understand mctominay. He was jogging around and looked gassed in the first half and kept on leaving maino for dead.
Around the 60-70 ish minute, he woke up and started to get involved more like he usually does around the 70 minute.

People keep on saying he works hard and have the right attitude but i dont see it, only see it in moments.

One thing that annoys me with mctominay is that as soon as we are on attack, you will see him sprint faster than ever into the box but when opposition attacks, he just casually jogs back.

Happy he provided the assist for rashford ans scored.

yardieUnited

Very useful player to have as a squad option, likeable too. He's been getting a lot of criticism for what he ISN'T, meaning an actual midfielder. Eth has made the right use of him.

The problem is he just shouldn't be 2nd/3rd choice in midfield, rather an attacking player we can throw in if needed.

Team setup with one midfielder is another story and totally on ETH, not McTominay.
He is an actual midfielder, thats his position since academy days.

Rossa

Except it isn’t given his goal record
His goal record this season is admittedly very good, but overall it's not that impressive - it's not quite Lampard levels. Last season, he had 1 goal in the PL in 24 matches. The season before 1 goal in the PL. He has 19 goals in the PL in total since 2016. Since 2016, he has 4 assists in the PL and - not brilliant stats, and when he contributes very little outside of this, he's basically not an entity in midfield.

Furthermore, I would argue that having him as a starter is a reason why we aren't creating more chances and subsequently scoring more goals.

Cassidy

His goal record this season is admittedly very good, but overall it's not that impressive - it's not quite Lampard levels. Last season, he had 1 goal in the PL in 24 matches. The season before 1 goal in the PL. He has 19 goals in the PL in total since 2016. Since 2016, he has 4 assists in the PL and - not brilliant stats, and when he contributes very little outside of this, he's basically not an entity in midfield.

Furthermore, I would argue that having him as a starter is a reason why we aren't creating more chances and subsequently scoring more goals.
Lampard is the best PL scorer in PL history. You don’t need to meet that level for it to be impressive

Robocrap

ETH has done a good job making him useful (sign of a good coach despite the nay sayers) Hopefully that generates some cash in the summer. Hes a decent player just not the type we really need
Pretty much this. The fact he will bring in good FFP money if sold is enough for me to want him gone. We need better standard of players in the midfield position even though he maybe could be useful as an impact sub.

Rossa

Lampard is the best PL scorer in PL history. You don’t need to meet that level for it to be impressive
Do you think the stats that I provided were impressive? He's had a good goal scoring record this season, but not so much previous seasons. He contributes very little as a central midfielder, so overall I just don't see him as good enough. If you do, fine, but I am yet to be convinced.