2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Kelly15

perfect squad player- not good enough to be regular starter but good enough to influence from the bench and step in for injuries or cup games

hard to dislike him
The new John o'shea! I do like him as a squad player.

lex talionis

What he does well, he does it great. What he does poorly, oh dear. Scottie is a fantastic option to bring off the bench for a late match winner.

90 + 5min

Because he brings considerably less. He's scoring goals and thats great. But his general play is average. The better teams dont even like to have a number 9 striker who just scores goals and isnt that good in general play these days. Let alone someone you're picking in midfield.

That said I'm sure theres some better teams that would be happy to have on the bench and to bring him on for a tactical change when they need a goal. Because like today sometimes you need a plan B and he's good as a midfielder who gets forward and can get a goal but at the expense of your teams general play where he's quiet and not finding the touches and passes you want from your midfielder going forward.
Tell me what Caciedo and Enzo brought to Chelsea that is 100m+ quality? Or why Rice is 100m+ and not McTominay. Not that I say McTominay should be worth that crazy money.

The better teams don't even like to have nr 9 strikers? Are we watching same sports? Not that it has anything to do with McTominay.

arthurka

Scotty not starting every game as a #6 but being used as an impact player full of running and box to box stuff is better use of the player.. Who would've guessed?

Ekeke

For those who want him sold I d just ask how many of these versatile players we have sold only to later regret it? Quite a bit I'd reckon.

Thing is we've also commonly produced them. O'Shea, Brown, McTom etc. If you dont sell players you dont have the chance to bring these versatile players through to show that they can do the job.

Garner is a great example. We sold him to Everton but this season hes shown hes a very good ball winning midfielder and he's also played right back for them this season and last too. We didnt bring him through because we had McTom and Fred... So hes a versatile 22 year old midfielder who is certainly better than McTom in most aspects other than goals this season.

Unam333

Sad that he’ll probably get sold for 30m or some amount of change in the summer, when what he offers is worth way more than that to us. Just a sad situation, as 30m would mean a lot to our finances right now - whereas in years gone by we’d piss that away without thinking
Van de Beek, Sancho, Greenwood are the priorities this summer. If will give us some FFP leeway and I doubt the board, Ten Hag nor another manager will prioritize selling McTominay.

Ekeke

Tell me what Caciedo and Enzo brought to Chelsea that is 100m+ quality? Or why Rice is 100m+ and not McTominay. Not that I say McTominay should be worth that crazy money.

The better teams don't even like to have nr 9 strikers? Are we watching same sports? Not that it has anything to do with McTominay.
Because Rice is very good in general play and McTominay is barely noticable.

Again Caicedo and Enzo absolutely havent justified and dont look like hugely expensive players right now. My bet is that they will in a year and a half or two years. They are still young and it might just not work out for them at Chelsea, or playing together. They may need to move elsewhere for less money. But they have quality and potential which is why big clubs wanted them in the first place

KjaAnd

Happy for him. Found his role at the club. If he’s happy coming on as a sub, we should keep him around. If he isn’t, we should be able to get good money for him.

90 + 5min

Because Rice is very good in general play and McTominay is barely noticable.

Again Caicedo and Enzo absolutely havent justified and dont look like hugely expensive players right now. My bet is that they will in a year and a half or two years. They are still young and it might just not work out for them at Chelsea, or playing together. They may need to move elsewhere for less money. But they have quality and potential which is why big clubs wanted them in the first place
8 goals in Premier League tells you differently. Most of all central midfielders. But sure, that is not noticable.

Rice is water carrier behind very good attacking players. There are lots of those in Premier League. McTominay plays in different role and gives you different things. Not every midfielder need to have lot of ball and pass it sideways. While Rice is better defending, McTominay is better attacking.

We are not talking about future. We are talking now. They have not shown anything that you can say that they should cost 3-4 times more. I have no idea how someone even thought Caicedo was that good in Brighton. He wasn't. Enzo, I can somehow understand would cost more but 100m+?

didz

Goals from United academy graduates in 6 games on the bounce now.

If we keep the wins coming, progress in the cup, and if McTominay's goalscoring vein remains consistent, he could be on for 15 this season, which would be a phenomenal return.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Van de Beek, Sancho, Greenwood are the priorities this summer. If will give us some FFP leeway and I doubt the board, Ten Hag nor another manager will prioritize selling McTominay.
Trouble is, I bet we get less than 40m for all 3 of them - if we can get all 3 to leave. Maguire, McTominay and Wan Bissaka will likely be the only ones able to raise some decent cash

Bobski

He's a very good versatile squad player to have, as well as being homegrown. Will be interesting this summer to see whether he pushes to move.
Contract up Summer 25 and as he is only on £60K P/W, only kids and back ups to the back ups are on less. What could he get at a Newcastle/West Ham?

Unam333

Trouble is, I bet we get less than 40m for all 3 of them - if we can get all 3 to leave. Maguire, McTominay and Wan Bissaka will likely be the only ones able to raise some decent cash
That's correct, those three will for sure get us some decent cash. My gripe is, why sell important first team players who actually contribute to the team?

Van De Beek, Sancho, Greenwood contribute nothing, absolutely nothing to the team. Two of the three players are actually detrimental to the collective team spirit as well. They are the ones who need to leave first in a quick fire sale.
If I had to make a choice, I prefer McTominay to Van de Beek + Sancho + Greenwood any day.

Van De Beek = 10m, Sancho = 30m, Greenwood = 15m. A total of 55m in the kitty and I would absolutely be delighted. And yes, I do think clubs would be lining up for these three players if we communicate these prices to the clubs.

flameinthesun

Contract up Summer 25 and as he is only on £60K P/W, only kids and back ups to the back ups are on less. What could he get at a Newcastle/West Ham?
Mmhh I think it depends on whether those teams see him as a 1st 11 player. Maybe would be one at West Ham. Tbh if we renewed his contract for less than 100k or around that (alongside getting in another strong midfielder) I wouldn't be disappointed, but then getting a potential 30mil for him which would be great for ffp would also be great. I think it also depends on whether Casemiro is going and how much money we have to spend. It may be a case where we have to keep him if Case goes and/or Eriksen as well.

Ekeke

8 goals in Premier League tells you differently. Most of all central midfielders. But sure, that is not noticable.

Rice is water carrier behind very good attacking players. There are lots of those in Premier League. McTominay plays in different role and gives you different things. Not every midfielder need to have lot of ball and pass it sideways. While Rice is better defending, McTominay is better attacking.

We are not talking about future. We are talking now. They have not shown anything that you can say that they should cost 3-4 times more. I have no idea how someone even thought Caicedo was that good in Brighton. He wasn't. Enzo, I can somehow understand would cost more but 100m+?
Scoring a goal is an action in the opponents box. It is not in midfield. It is also not every game McTom plays, nor does he always finish well. There are matches where he gets several chances to shoot and does a poor job of it. Regardless of that yes he has scored plenty of goals. He's good at it. But that is 1 thing and unless you have real trouble counting thats not a lot for an "he offers more" argument.

The game against Villa should have made it pretty obvious. Kamara played 64 minutes and made 3 successful dribbles against us helping his team attack. Luiz scored 1 goal, had 1 key pass and made more passes than Kamara. 48 passes and 65 touches.

McTom averages 19.7 passes this season. 17.8 last season and 41.1 the season before that

So even several seasons ago in 21/22 when he was most definitely playing deep in a midfield role he averaged low 40s passes per game. Less than Luiz in a game where he wasnt even that good other than scoring a goal in a big match against the team they're competing for 5th place against most likely and being part of a team who are doing well creating attacking plays. Luiz averages 63.2 overall this season so other than the goal he was less influencial today than he has been in most games this season on the ball.

He doesn't and never has done a lot on average. But he's shown he can get a goal in the past, and now he's showing he can get a goal often. The other part hasnt changed for the better. His involvement in general play has gotten worse.

Some people will say its because "We play 1 midfielder and McTom is ahead like Bruno" but Bruno gets on the ball plenty more. So his low involvement is the same regardless of whether he's sitting in midfield like a couple of seasons ago or starting in midfield but then getting forward to be in and around the box for moves like this season. He just doesnt do a lot with the ball. Certainly less than his peers in the same position and at other clubs.

So no he doesn't do what these other midfielders are doing and then he has 7 league goals on top. He doesnt do good enough in these areas but he has 7 league goals. He has the goals not the rest

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
That's correct, those three will for sure get us some decent cash. My gripe is, why sell important first team players who actually contribute to the team?

Van De Beek, Sancho, Greenwood contribute nothing, absolutely nothing to the team. Two of the three players are actually detrimental to the collective team spirit as well. They are the ones who need to leave first in a quick fire sale.
If I had to make a choice, I prefer McTominay to Van de Beek + Sancho + Greenwood any day.

Van De Beek = 10m, Sancho = 30m, Greenwood = 15m. A total of 55m in the kitty and I would absolutely be delighted. And yes, I do think clubs would be lining up for these three players if we communicate these prices to the clubs.
Yeah, this was the point I made with my first post - it’s a shame that McTominay will likely get sold, but at the same time it isn’t surprising. We need cash, and he’ll have suitors. The likes of greenwood and Van de Beek? Not so much.

Unam333

Yeah, this was the point I made with my first post - it’s a shame that McTominay will likely get sold, but at the same time it isn’t surprising. We need cash, and he’ll have suitors. The likes of greenwood and Van de Beek? Not so much.
Darn shame. I think Ten Hag appreciate McTominay as well. We spunked too much on too many average players and now we're feeling the consequences.

Ekeke

Scott McTominay has a goal every 172 mins in the premier league this season. Hannibal had a goal every 130 mins but just 5 games and a small sample size with just 1 goal.

However from starts its every 349.3 minutes. So he's twice as likely to get a goal coming off the bench

Rodri averages a goal every 344 minutes from starts. Douglas Luiz every 282 mins from starts. Doucoure and Eze have taken even less time to get on the scoresheet from games they've started through the middle, you could argue that McTom starts deeper though again theres a common idea posted on here that McTom isnt playing in midfield but in the hole like Bruno which would be the same.

He does however beat Soucek, Longstaff and Ward-Prowse in terms of goals per mins on the pitch from his starts data. And AMs like Maddison, Havertz and Odegaard. So its still a good goals per minute rate from his starts. But those listed are better and are the top 4 above McTom. And of course thats just goals. Everything else? Nope

90 + 5min

Scoring a goal is an action in the opponents box. It is not in midfield. It is also not every game McTom plays, nor does he always finish well. There are matches where he gets several chances to shoot and does a poor job of it. Regardless of that yes he has scored plenty of goals. He's good at it. But that is 1 thing and unless you have real trouble counting thats not a lot for an "he offers more" argument.

The game against Villa should have made it pretty obvious. Kamara played 64 minutes and made 3 successful dribbles against us helping his team attack. Luiz scored 1 goal, had 1 key pass and made more passes than Kamara. 48 passes and 65 touches.

McTom averages 19.7 passes this season. 17.8 last season and 41.1 the season before that

So even several seasons ago in 21/22 when he was most definitely playing deep in a midfield role he averaged low 40s passes per game. Less than Luiz in a game where he wasnt even that good other than scoring a goal in a big match against the team they're competing for 5th place against most likely and being part of a team who are doing well creating attacking plays. Luiz averages 63.2 overall this season so other than the goal he was less influencial today than he has been in most games this season on the ball.

He doesn't and never has done a lot on average. But he's shown he can get a goal in the past, and now he's showing he can get a goal often. The other part hasnt changed for the better. His involvement in general play has gotten worse.

Some people will say its because "We play 1 midfielder and McTom is ahead like Bruno" but Bruno gets on the ball plenty more. So his low involvement is the same regardless of whether he's sitting in midfield like a couple of seasons ago or starting in midfield but then getting forward to be in and around the box for moves like this season. He just doesnt do a lot with the ball. Certainly less than his peers in the same position and at other clubs.

So no he doesn't do what these other midfielders are doing and then he has 7 league goals on top. He doesnt do good enough in these areas but he has 7 league goals. He has the goals not the rest
Scoring a goal is scoring a goal.

You want McTominay to have more ball so he can be considered good midfielder? Everybody have different roles in a team. If McTominay have more ball that would mean less ball for other players. That includes midfielders like Fernandes, Mainoo and Casemiro.

The game against Villa made it obvious. He came from the bench, changed the flow of the game and not only that, he scored a winning goal. So I would say that he did pretty well. It wasn't first time. I think people should give him a lot more credit because he deserves it and he should be valued more.

cpresc

Not sure if this has already been posted but I watched it earlier today - great insights McT, he's a very humble, hardworking lad and surely a great character to have around the squad

kundalini

McTominay's value has always been in the penalty area, whether it is heading clear corners and wide free-kicks, getting back to cut out crosses, blocking shots, scoring goals or causing a nuisance in the opposing penalty area.

In some teams those qualities might not be particularly valuable but we don't have many players that are genuinely good in the air and rather too often in recent years our side has contained far too many players that don't make much effort to help out defensively.

Counting the number of passes a player makes seems a strange way to assess their quality. McTominay isn't great on the ball therefore United players don't force passes to him; why should they ?

Ekeke

McTominay's value has always been in the penalty area, whether it is heading clear corners and wide free-kicks, getting back to cut out crosses, blocking shots, scoring goals or causing a nuisance in the opposing penalty area.

In some teams those qualities might not be particularly valuable but we don't have many players that are genuinely good in the air and rather too often in recent years our side has contained far too many players that don't make much effort to help out defensively.

Counting the number of passes a player makes seems a strange way to assess their quality. McTominay isn't great on the ball therefore United players don't force passes to him; why should they ?
Because he's in midfield and thats how you play through midfield. You give them touches and passes and they run and use the ball. You dont play through midfield by heading the ball out of your own area. Thats defending

Roboc7

I don't think it is right. Why should we be giving him for pretty much nothing considering what he brings to the team and comparing to players that went for 3-4 times more? The only thing I can understand is that McTominay is 27 and those other guys are younger but looking at quality he is not worse. At least how this season is going and what they have done.

For me he is midfielder but attacking one. Give him space and freedom to run into box and he will give other team headache. Every time.
We’ve seen he doesn’t give teams headaches as a starter even pushed further forward, that’s why he was dropped as soon as Erisken was fit. He’s our top scorer in the league and we don’t pick him to start games, that tells you a lot about his limitations.

The market for Mctominay is very small and 30m odd is a decent fee, no one is going to pay much more for him than that because he won’t appeal to teams who can spend 50-60m plus.

An impact sub is right role for him, maybe he’d wants to play more but if he went somewhere like West Ham or Newcastle he could easily end up in a similar position.

Ekeke

Scoring a goal is scoring a goal.

You want McTominay to have more ball so he can be considered good midfielder? Everybody have different roles in a team. If McTominay have more ball that would mean less ball for other players. That includes midfielders like Fernandes, Mainoo and Casemiro.
Do you think teams are given an equal amount of turns and time and touches on the ball? Its not a turn based game. Both McTom and teammates can have more touches and passes. We'd just have more of the ball

The game against Villa made it obvious. He came from the bench, changed the flow of the game and not only that, he scored a winning goal. So I would say that he did pretty well. It wasn't first time. I think people should give him a lot more credit because he deserves it and he should be valued more.
He scored. Thats it. It was great, it won the match and reaffirmed why hes a good sub. It secured his spot on the bench again next game. It didnt suggest he should start

Mr Smith

The perfect squad player. He'll never be good enough to be a threat as a starter, but he's a regular threat off the bench and there will be the occasional game here and there that is suited for him to start. I'm sure he wants to be a starter but he's also embraced his impact role, and as an academy player he'll always be a great servant. I can understand if we sell him in the summer given he's a sellable asset, but I hope he stays.

Zed is not dead

He’s an attacking 8 but people keep judging him as a deep lying playmaker or DM.

He’s not a creative player or a player that will recycle possession and dictate a game.
He’s a player who’s very good at driving the ball forward, who has high athleticism, gets stuck in and is lethal in and around the box.
Those are all very good attributes for a box to box midfielder.

He’s not a world beater but he’s definitely not as shite as people seem to think

Bwuk

I liked seeing him up top with Hojlund. His link up for the Garnacho chance was good.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
We’ve seen he doesn’t give teams headaches as a starter even pushed further forward, that’s why he was dropped as soon as Erisken was fit. He’s our top scorer in the league and we don’t pick him to start games, that tells you a lot about his limitations.

The market for Mctominay is very small and 30m odd is a decent fee, no one is going to pay much more for him than that because he won’t appeal to teams who can spend 50-60m plus.

An impact sub is right role for him, maybe he’d wants to play more but if he went somewhere like West Ham or Newcastle he could easily end up in a similar position.
Not a chance...

At West Ham for example Ward Prowse would play in the double pivot instead over Soucek and he'd start alongside Kudus and Paqueta behind a Bowen most of the time. Making them more dangerous than they currently are. Even for Newcastle he'd start alongside Bruno G and one other because Howe would tactically appreciate and full unleash his goal threat from deep late runs into the box..

At both clubs he also won't have fans wanting him to contribute more in build up play/game control. Which is NEVER why he is picked. So he'd defintely not be ANY where near the situation he constantly finds himself in at United. Namely scape goated, abused by most of his own fans and never credited for what he actually does well and naturally.

Onerealunited

I have been one of his biggest criticis and to be honest I hated the idea of him at the club. He is and will never be a starting player for a club like ours, if we want to challgenge for the league of course. However, lately I've changed my mind. While he won't be a starting player there is a huge value in having bench players that can impact the game. Even more important, there is value in having academy players that knows the club culture, values an which can support the team culture and also be a good rolemodel for our academy. Again, this is only and only if we manage to build a strong midfield where he would be an impact player... So, today I am happy that we didnt sell him for 40m in summer as his real value, in a team like West Ham would be significantly higher than the 40m offered at the time

Reactions: 12OunceEpilogue

Ekeke

He’s an attacking 8 but people keep judging him as a deep lying playmaker or DM.

He’s not a creative player or a player that will recycle possession and dictate a game.
He’s a player who’s very good at driving the ball forward, who has high athleticism, gets stuck in and is lethal in and around the box.
Those are all very good attributes for a box to box midfielder.

He’s not a world beater but he’s definitely not as shite as people seem to think
An 8 needs to be able to get on the ball. Even a 10 or a 9 is expected to touch the ball, be more involved and create more than he has this season.

There are plenty of strikers who will score goals but fans at bigger clubs dont want him and teams dont sign them because their buildup and general play isnt good enough. That is what McTominay is but picked in midfield and his limitations are there instead of in your striker spot which is probably a lot worse if you want to have some amount of control of a game. Chicharito is a good example, he would score goals but people would say he isnt good enough in general play.

There are people who say Bruno was terrible even when he scores and assists, or has a high number of key passes setting up teammates and getting touches and being involved in the game. But he is almost always far more influential and gets on the ball far more than McTominay. So why would McTominay be called something else when he's a lot worse other than goals?

WGS

In all honesty I like Scott mctominay as a player hard worker, the big BUT is that I don’t think he is good enough for what we want (Man City type players)! This season he is just reminding me of Ole Gunnar….proper super sub who will always give the team something!!

Burkeovic

Scott McTominay has a goal every 172 mins in the premier league this season. Hannibal had a goal every 130 mins but just 5 games and a small sample size with just 1 goal.

However from starts its every 349.3 minutes. So he's twice as likely to get a goal coming off the bench

Rodri averages a goal every 344 minutes from starts. Douglas Luiz every 282 mins from starts. Doucoure and Eze have taken even less time to get on the scoresheet from games they've started through the middle, you could argue that McTom starts deeper though again theres a common idea posted on here that McTom isnt playing in midfield but in the hole like Bruno which would be the same.

He does however beat Soucek, Longstaff and Ward-Prowse in terms of goals per mins on the pitch from his starts data. And AMs like Maddison, Havertz and Odegaard. So its still a good goals per minute rate from his starts. But those listed are better and are the top 4 above McTom. And of course thats just goals. Everything else? Nope
Shite talk son go to bed your comparison is brutal

AndyMUFC

To think he was playing as a below average DM all that time.

If he keeps this up and is happy being a super sub rather than a starter then his United career might not be over.