View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
No. Those are statistics that prove the "Scott McTominay hides from the ball" are spreading lies and misinformation.

That's the topic here. Not about the progression ability of his passing. A section of Manchester United fans state as fact that Scott McTominay hides from the ball.
Why'd you ignore my reply to you which showed that he in fact gets on the ball about 20-30% less than our other midfielders (and about 35% less than Casemiro and Eriksen last season)?

Ace of Spades

Can't believe I am saying this, but want McT back in the team next match. He can do about as much as Mount did on the ball today, but is much better without the ball.

At least we won't be open like a sieve.

edgecutter

Can't believe I am saying this, but want McT back in the team next match. He can do about as much as Mount did on the ball today, but is much better without the ball.

We will, as he offers nothing aswell.

We have seen enough of Scott to know he is never going to get us where we want to be and shold have been sold to allow reinforcements for midfield to be bought.

C'est Moi Cantona

Ten Hag obviously wants him out, there must be some interest still or surely he'd have put him on today.

OrcaFat

I don’t think that’s a good idea.

Ace of Spades

We will, as he offers nothing aswell.

We have seen enough of Scott to know he is never going to get us where we want to be and shold have been sold to allow reinforcements for midfield to be bought.
If he can be sold, sure. But he is no way as invisible as Mount when putting in some work off the ball.

Roboc7

It’s clear the manger rightly wants him gone so can get other players in, made a co pledge mess of it though. No one will match that 30m let alone better it.

edgecutter

If he can be sold, sure. But he is no way as invisible as Mount when putting in some work off the ball.
Revisionism is coming to play with Scott. When was the last time he had a great game or even a good game? He isn't the required standard, and every club that wants to win trophies wouldn't put up with him.

Bobski

Scarily if Cas doesn't pick up he might have to go into DM again, or in a deeper 2 alongside him.

MasterDarcy

Definition of "you don't know what you have till it's gone".

Mount had 26 touches and 14 successful passes in 85 minutes.

If that was McTominay giving those numbers the mob would be switching off their brain and going into "He hides from the ball/he's scared of the ball" Zombie mode.

I like EtH, however, he's far from beyond reproach (Antony, Casemiro, Eriksen, Malacia, etc).

Icing McTominay might be a bad idea, especially when the £55m he made to replace him doesn't look any better.

Roboc7

If that was McTominay giving those numbers the mob would be switching off their brain and going into "He hides from the ball/he's scared of the ball" Zombie mode.

I like EtH, however, he's far from beyond reproach (Antony, Casemiro, Eriksen, Malacia, etc).

Icing McTominay might be a bad idea, especially when the £55m he made to replace him doesn't look any better.
It is only Mount’s 2nd game and if he continues he’ll be slated. And one player being shit doesn’t mean it reflects well on someone else who has produced equally shit statistics repeatedly.

Manager doesn’t want Mctominay, doesn’t rate him but club have messed up selling him because they massively over rated his value.

MasterDarcy

It is only Mount’s 2nd game and if he continues he’ll be slated. And one player being shit doesn’t mean it reflects well on someone else who has produced equally shit statistics repeatedly.

Manager doesn’t want Mctominay, doesn’t rate him but club have messed up selling him because they massively over rated his value.
He's an OK player, but he is as much of a number 8 as McTominay is a number 6.

You just said that McTominay has produced equal statistics. Why is one worth £55m and the other isn't?

Roboc7

He's an OK player, but he is as much of a number 8 as McTominay is a number 6.

You just said that McTominay has produced equal statistics. Why is one worth £55m and the other isn't?
Equally shit statistics, the point you’re making point Mount was crap so should suffer same fate as Mctominay for being equally crap. But one has only played two games for us, one about 200. Mount might be a complete flop but I don’t get your logic of complaining about Mctominay being given a hard time and then giving Mount a hard time.

Forget about how good or bad Mctominay is, he’s only worth 30m because only a very small number of teams want a player of that profile. And those teams are not going to spend more than that on someone who is nearly 27 and not a huge upgrade on players they already have.

FerociousCorgis

Or it just means both aren't good enough? This line of reasoning makes no sense to say mount has any bearing on Mctominay magically becoming a better player.

We should've sold mctominay for 30 and got amrabat in. But the club pushed its luck and ended up fecking themselves over

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We are totally fecked if fans are desperate for Manchester United no less to get Scott McTominay in the centre of midfield. Scott who no team out of the one team(s) will stretch beyond 30m for when he is available.

When Ten Hag joined I said right from the beginning of the summer that if we get to September and he was still here I would have little faith in him. People said I was being dramatic, but the theme of poor judgement has continued. Ole joined in January and the FIRST thing he did was say ‘no mor of this Fellaini shit, this is not a Manchester United player’ and he didn’t make it past that window and was sold to China. Ole was even only an interim at the time. That’s what I hoped to see from Ten Hag with Scott because I had hoped we were getting a manager with fundamental principles about passing and handling the ball. And sort of ‘he is a valuable player’ just told me that he is not of the philosophy I had hoped, and he has continued to show that with his kamikaze style with no control since then.

Diamond Chap

Supports
Airdrieonians
Revisionism is coming to play with Scott. When was the last time he had a great game or even a good game? He isn't the required standard, and every club that wants to win trophies wouldn't put up with him.
How many of our players would get close to getting into a Club that wins trophies? (eg Man City)
None, we're nowhere near that level.
Scott may not be the solution, but he's not solely to blame.
It's very possible he could have positively influenced the game today.
IMO he would have been the best choice, but ETH obviously wants him out.

Ace of Spades

We are totally fecked if fans are desperate for Manchester United no less to get Scott McTominay in the centre of midfield. Scott who no team out of the one team(s) will stretch beyond 30m for when he is available.

When Ten Hag joined I said right from the beginning of the summer that if we get to September and he was still here I would have little faith in him. People said I was being dramatic, but the theme of poor judgement has continued. Ole joined in January and the FIRST thing he did was say ‘no mor of this Fellaini shit, this is not a Manchester United player’ and he didn’t make it past that window and was sold to China. Ole was even only an interim at the time. That’s what I hoped to see from Ten Hag with Scott because I had hoped we were getting a manager with fundamental principles about passing and handling the ball. And sort of ‘he is a valuable player’ just told me that he is not of the philosophy I had hoped, and he has continued to show that with his kamikaze style with no control since then.
He is for sale, but no one wants to buy him for the price we set. This is more on the decision makers than ETH, he clearly wants to get rid of quite a few players, they are just difficult to offload.

No point ruining the relationship with players, especially if we cannot offload them and they are stuck here. We can't buy replacements either because of FFP.

Augustus Gloop

ETH is clearly desperate to get rid of him, but like G.Nev was suggesting in commentary yesterday, he would actually add balance to the side whether you like it or not. He played well in preseason, has been sensational for Scotland for at least half a dozen games in a row now… while he’s here, is it not worth sticking him in there alongside Casemiro?

Litch

How he is still here and Fred isnt is criminal in itself. That said, those first two games, that was no better than McFred....

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Bruno and Mount were so atrocious the first 2 games I would like to see a midfield of Casemiro, Eriksen and McTominay. Cannot be worse.

Roboc7

ETH needs to persist with Mount that’s who he picked. Don’t take the easy option and bring in someone we know isn’t good enough and should have been sold years ago.

Stick to his guns and try and get club to sell Mctominay and bring in someone he does want. He picked Mount for a reason so he has to try and make it work for longer than 2 games, if it’s a disaster then it’s on him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He is for sale, but no one wants to buy him for the price we set. This is more on the decision makers than ETH, he clearly wants to get rid of quite a few players, they are just difficult to offload.

No point ruining the relationship with players, especially if we cannot offload them and they are stuck here. We can't buy replacements either because of FFP.
I’m referring to last summer. Scott should have been sold immediately if a so-called ‘possession manager’ had just arrived. That was the earliest clue for me that Ten Hag was not that, and it’s only been confirmed since. He seems to have little clue to me.

MasterDarcy

Equally shit statistics, the point you’re making point Mount was crap so should suffer same fate as Mctominay for being equally crap. But one has only played two games for us, one about 200. Mount might be a complete flop but I don’t get your logic of complaining about Mctominay being given a hard time and then giving Mount a hard time.

Forget about how good or bad Mctominay is, he’s only worth 30m because only a very small number of teams want a player of that profile. And those teams are not going to spend more than that on someone who is nearly 27 and not a huge upgrade on players they already have.
McTominay has played over 200 games out of position. If Mount faces the same fate then things will not improve for him.

Value is objective.

Look at young Billy Gilmour at Brighton. 22 years old. Yesterday he had 98% pass success rate. Totally Dominating the Wolves midfield in the process. They didn't lay a glove on him.

They bought him for £10m.

We spent £115 on Mount and Casemiro. Gilmour is better on the ball than both of them.

We are continuously overpaying

Suppose we'll see how good Gilmour and McTominay are next month when we play England. With McTominay as a number 8.

Ace of Spades

I’m referring to last summer. Scott should have been sold immediately if a so-called ‘possession manager’ had just arrived. That was the earliest clue for me that Ten Hag was not that, and it’s only been confirmed since. He seems to have little clue to me.
We can't sell someone if no one wants the player. And it was obvious that there are plenty that needed to go, but we are shit at selling. Even now, we are struggling to get rid of players. Pogba, Matic and Mata were all gone and all we bought was Ericksen on a free before the season started. We got Casemiro late in the window, and had been chasing De Jong all window. We had quite a few players leave, but we were struggling to get players in. If the people running the club are shit, not much a manger can do. You don't want to lose too many players and struggle to replace them.

McTominay did not play much, and was the last choice for Ten Hag last season. He clearly wants to get rid now, but a 30m bid was rejected because we want more. That is not on ETH, it is the decision of those running the club.

I think ETH has a pretty good idea, better than you at least of what he needs. But the recruitment and transfers have been a mess for a long time, and that is not on managers.

Care_de_Bobo

You literally won’t. Barely puts in a tackle and can’t pass. Amazing how much better he gets when he doesn’t play.
I'm far from his biggest fan, but he does offer us something none of our other midfielders do. He can actually drive forward with the ball which we we've seen our opposition midfielders do in the last two games and this is often a good way of releasing pressure when you're unable to pass your way out of trouble. He's also far better defensively than either Mount or Fernandes.

I'd be tempted to drop Anthony for him and have a four in midfield with Mount and Bruno drifting wide when we're in possession. Get Martial in for Garnacho as well and we'll be much more solid defensively and actually have someone up top who can shield the ball.

Roboc7

McTominay has played over 200 games out of position. If Mount faces the same fate then things will not improve for him.

Value is objective.

Look at young Billy Gilmour at Brighton. 22 years old. Yesterday he had 98% pass success rate. Totally Dominating the Wolves midfield in the process. They didn't lay a glove on him.

We spent £115 on Mount and Casemiro. Gilmour is better on the ball than both of them.

Suppose we'll see how good Gilmour and McTominay are next month when we play England. With McTominay as a number 8.
But just because we continuously overpay doesn’t mean teams will overpay for our players.

The point you are making just demonstrates why asking for 40-45m was pure stupidity. Gilmour fits Brighton’s system better, he cost a quarter of the price, is 4 years younger and probably on smaller wages. They’ve just made 100m profit on a player they bought for 5m who is better than Mctominay.

His value is what someone will pay, the market for him was pretty much West Ham and Everton at around 30m. I’m sure other teams would take him but they don’t have or want to spend that much on him let alone what we asked for.

TempusFugit

He should be starting alongside Casemiro. He's physical, decently quick and can carry the ball. We were so badly outmatched by Sarr and Bissouma, that was a game for McT.

Have you been in the Mount thread. He's getting every bit the amount of criticism McTominay does.

McTominay is not good enough to be a squad player here. He needs to leave for a club where he can get regular game time.

Mount is a decent player who would be much better in the Fernandes role, so at least he has a part to play in the squad even if he shouldn't be starting. McTominay doesn't even offer that.

edgecutter

Value is objective.

International football should bever be a barometer to judge players. McTominay was an abomination against a crap.ireland midfield which had difficulty against Gibraltar midfield. Please stop this playing for Scotland nonsense.

Diamond Chap

Supports
Airdrieonians
He should be starting alongside Casemiro. He's physical, decently quick and can carry the ball. We were so badly outmatched by Sarr and Bissouma, that was a game for McT.
Agreed.
We had no players in the match day squad who were capable of doing this.
ETH must have his reasons for not using McTominay, but he was the only substitute capable of improving the toothless midfield in this game.
Poor from ETH !