2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Valencia Shin Crosses

He’s been rewarded with 2 starts after scoring 2 late goals as a CF. But that’s enough now.

Sadly we all know too well he will never be anything more than average in midfield.

United cannot seriously be about to go into another match against City with McTom in midfield.
Average is being so kind to him. He’s a god awful midfielder. Nice box finisher though.

3KDré

He’s been rewarded with 2 starts after scoring 2 late goals as a CF. But that’s enough now.

Sadly we all know too well he will never be anything more than average in midfield.

United cannot seriously be about to go into another match against City with McTom in midfield.
Will be Casemiro-Amrabat McT at 10 Bruno on the right, you heard it here first.

atkar83

There were a few times where I thought 'Come on Hojlund you can do better than that' only to find out I was actually looking at McTominay. I just don't know why he's still on this team

doomy20

Okay enough with the starts now, he wouldn’t start in any other top 8 team.
Bad game, missed the sitter late on and NEARLY cost us the win and cl season with that stupid pen.

You‘re a benchplayer Scott. 20 mins every third game is enough

Idxomer

His play before the saved shot from Onana early in the 2nd half was just terrible from him. He mistimed his tackle and then went back at a jogging pace leaving the team open for the cutback.

Maguire made a bad mistake early in the first half and he was racing back to get into his position.

MegadrivePerson

The only role he offers any real value is coming off the bench as a backup striker when chasing a game because he's a good finisher.

He shouldn't be starting important games.

gaffs

We have a sample size of 5 years that tells us that McTominay is a very limited midfielder.

He is no good as a 6, he can't pass, his positioning is poor and he doesn't show for the ball. You watch him and he seems to just let the game pass him buy.

But he is good at bursting into the box to try and get on the end of things. Has done it well for Scotland and potentially saved the manager's job with two goals v Brentford. The narrative now is that he is a "box to box" midfielder that should be played at an 8. The Scottish Vierra.

No way. If ETH had anything about him, he would stick to his principles and setup the midfield in a way that allows us to control a game. McTominay doesn't offer this.

Cantona’s Kung Fu Kick

The only role he offers any real value is coming off the bench as a backup striker when chasing a game because he's a good finisher.

He shouldn't be starting important games.
The myth that has grown up in the last couple of weeks that he’s a goal scorer doesn’t really stand scrutiny. The most goals he has scored in a Premiership season before now is 4. God only knows why this guy is still getting game time.

Oranges038

We have a sample size of 5 years that tells us that McTominay is a very limited midfielder.

He is no good as a 6, he can't pass, his positioning is poor and he doesn't show for the ball. You watch him and he seems to just let the game pass him buy.

But he is good at bursting into the box to try and get on the end of things. Has done it well for Scotland and potentially saved the manager's job with two goals v Brentford. The narrative now is that he is a "box to box" midfielder that should be played at an 8. The Scottish Vierra.

No way. If ETH had anything about him, he would stick to his principles and setup the midfield in a way that allows us to control a game. McTominay doesn't offer this.
That part gets totally ignored and I can't understand it.

It's taking the motto "you're only as good as you're last game" to the extreme.

5 years of his crap and people still think he has something to offer, but Mount gets written off after a handful of appearances.

Rossa

He really continues to be the Houdini of our midfield. Yes he does score the occasional goal, but as for the ability to move and pass, he must surely be our worst midfielder that I can remember. He's not a particularly bad passer, average I'd say, it's just that he never shows for the ball. When and if he gets the ball, he takes far too long to release it.

If we are able to cash in on him in January, I believe we should do so.

Roboc7

Can’t be bothered to do the basics and consistently lets the team down because of it. He’s been absolutely awful this season but gets picked because of those two goals.

Red-17

It has been apparent since Mourinho that he is not a good enough player to play regularly, nevermind start, for a club of our aspirations, yet here we are 6 years on and he is still playing 90 minutes in the biggest match of our season. And it isn't like we didn't have other options.

AndySmith1990

Starting him is so stupid and cowardly. It's the sort of mentality you'd see from Sam Allerdyce when he's in a relegation scrap desperately seeking goals. McTominay scored 2 against Brentford therefore he must start against City? Feck me it's like the lunatics have taken over the asylum at this club

Manny

Grammar Police
Just jogs about and is rarely in the position he's supposed to be in. Someone of his ability should be busting a gut throughout the game. Awful midfielder and shouldn't be getting minutes.

Ekeke

Looked out of his depth in attacking areas where he could play a teammate in and he's normally a much better shooter than his efforts today which were poor.

El__Jingo

might not have been the worst today but he would never get a look in at citys team, yet hes consistently being played again ?

what is eth thinking?? because his selection will end up costing him his job if he carries on

and reverting him to a 6 position is laughable we have no control on the game but we move him their expecting what exactly?

really really frustrates me

Woodenlung

It's clear that we've lost all ability to create or finish chances. That's the reason he's playing right now.

But having him in the pitch also drastically limits what we can do in possession. He plays so far forward because he can't rotate possession from deep nor can he actually shield defence. But having him so far forward is pointless because he still hides from the ball.

edgecutter

It's not his fault anymore. Tha manager keeps picking him and if he can't see what we all see than the manager needs to go.

Walters_19_MuFc

He's much better when given the attacking licence to get forward. Got into some good positions in the first half. With better decision making, we could have found ourselves a goal up. Was unlucky not to score, too.

Second half, when he dropped back, he struggled but so did Amrabat, and previously, Casemiro has in this fixture, too.

Malone_Post

Playing him as a DM should be an automatic sackable offence.

We all know he can’t do it. So why do managers keep trying it?

edgecutter

He's much better when given the attacking licence to get forward. Got into some good positions in the first half. With better decision making, we could have found ourselves a goal up. Was unlucky not to score, too.

Second half, when he dropped back, he struggled but so did Amrabat, and previously, Casemiro has in this fixture, too.
He was poor up front today. He butchered 2 great chances with poor play

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Couldn’t give less of a feck and he knows it. Mourinho’s biggest “feck you” to United was saddling us with this pretender. Horrendous player, absolutely horrendous.

KeanoMagicHat

He would have some worth as a second striker for a mid-table team (although that's what we are sadly pretty much) but for what we're aspiring to be, nowhere near good enough. Should never be put in deep midfield again. It's an embarrassment this guy has played over 200 games for us. Last season he played far fewer games in the league and lo and behold we were much better. Stealing a living.

ShinjiNinja26

I don’t know why we keep putting him back as a holding midfielder. It’s blatantly obvious by now he’s most effective further forward even though he was poor this game. You either play him in an attacking role or don’t play him at all.

KeanoMagicHat

Couldn’t give less of a feck and he knows it. Mourinho’s biggest “feck you” to United was saddling us with this pretender. Horrendous player, absolutely horrendous.
Annoys me when people credit Mourinho for the Pogba situation when unleashing McTominay on us was the solution. Also we went out to Sevilla and were outplayed that match 25 shots to 6 but for an inspired De Gea, then lost the return leg.

Red-17

Playing him as a DM should be an automatic sackable offence.

We all know he can’t do it. So why do managers keep trying it?
Yeah its what 4 managers now who have tried him as a defensive midfielder and he has had maybe 2 good games there in 6 years? As far as I am concerned, unless it is an absolute emergency situation, he just should never be playing as a defensive midfielder. He shouldn't be playing at all mind you, but especially not as a 6. I would rather play a center back or even Bruno in that position than him.