2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Marcelinho87

It's a mystery too. How does he avoid getting on the ball? I think it has to be down to him not knowing how to make himself available for a pass. An inability to find space. And I don't think that's something he can learn at this age.
He actively avoids the ball, been stated for years.

LDUred

Good analysis. I think he lacks elite football intelligence. Galatasaray was a prime example. Post match he spoke about a need to kill games. His idea of killing the game was bursting forwards looking for a 4th when we were 3-1 up in a must win tricky away fixture in Europe. You can kill a game by controlling the tempo, sitting into a mid block and having possession.

Discussed at length on the Talk of the Devils podcast so not my organic analysis but something I agreed with.
Yep, totally agree on all these points.

Certainly in the defensive sense he lacks football intelligence. I think there's a general lack of communication between our players and leadership on the whole. In other United sides, Keane, Rooney, Neville or Ferdinand would be yelling instructions at players like McTom to drop back in those situations. We don't have that kind of game management and the likes of McTom just do what comes naturally, which is often bomb forward.

Bobski

Going to be funny when he ends up our players player of the season with a 4. average on the Cafe.

3KDré

Good analysis. I think he lacks elite football intelligence. Galatasaray was a prime example. Post match he spoke about a need to kill games. His idea of killing the game was bursting forwards looking for a 4th when we were 3-1 up in a must win tricky away fixture in Europe. You can kill a game by controlling the tempo, sitting into a mid block and having possession.

Discussed at length on the Talk of the Devils podcast so not my organic analysis but something I agreed with.
I agree he lack’s football intelligence and temperament of when to cool things down. I would say, this is one of the biggest issues in our squad. Rashford and Bruno are massive culprits of this.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Such a weird player. Some really big strengths but glaring flaws at the same time. But credit where it's due - without him this season we would be in deep sh*t.

MadMike

Such a weird player. Some really big strengths but glaring flaws at the same time. But credit where it's due - without him this season we would be in deep sh*t.
If we still persisted with this 4-1-4-1 formation? Then yes. If we had played actual 4-2-3-1 though, doubtful.

90 + 5min

Just looking at the stats on Fbref. It really is hard to work out how he can play 90 minutes and pass the ball so little. 24 passes attempted last night. That's less than Antony (32) a lot less than Garnacho (45) and less than half as many as Amrabat (49) and Bruno (55) The fact that Bruno is so much more involved proves this issue is not about him playing high up the pitch. I don't know how this issue gets fixed. We need him to play for his goal threat but that also means we play the match with 10.5 men, which is going to get us found out against anyone other than a shockingly poor Chelsea team.
You can check stats sometimes but people need to go from that because they can lie in the bigger picture. McTominay will never have big numbers in passes. It is not what he is supposed to do and that is not his role. People need to get this. He is supposed to give team power, strenght, some dirtyness and of course being our best goalscorer dosen't harm that. He is best Premier League goalscorer if we are looking at midfield players which says something. He does have his faults but every player have that.

This guy is so underrated. People screaming about selling him should hopefully start seeing different picture. Picture some of us had before. And to sell him for those number being talked about. That just make me laugh. I'm happy our management did the right thing in this case.

Going to be funny when he ends up our players player of the season with a 4. average on the Cafe.
Well, that average would be because of haters. Not football analysts. He is no superstar but is on a solid 5.9 for me this year according to my rating. To compare with some other central midfielders: Fernandes (6.1), Casemiro (5.3), Amrabat (5.9), Mount (5.7), Eriksen (5.6)

Brilliant player

I’m one of the few smart people who never wanted him sold
I can repeat this 1000 times if needed. This guy is no less worth than 100m+ Premier League midfield signings this year when it comes to midfield players. Not before this season. Not during. Not after this season. Not saying he is worth 100m but looking at quality he is not worse.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Need more performances like that from him, if he wants to be part of the team, supposedly participating in title race, someday. Still not convinced as he looks like stagnating from few good years with occasional goals vs Leeds, Brentford etc.

Looks like he could be perfect temporary solution for this current team, in this particular moment, but can't relly tell how he'll perform in next matches.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
I dont care whether anyone else is looking for an apology or not. I have done this to Maguire too and I have done this previously with Scott when he scored 2 in injury time.

If you can't fecking appreciate when things are great but if you are the first one to abuse when our players has a bad match, then you are embarrassing as a fan.
I agree with that and sadly it's way too common for way too many posters, myself included at times. Why I gave you such a snarky reply in the first place though is that I think coming in here immediately after he's scored a brace in an important match demanding that the people who have said bad things about him in the past should apologize isn't all that great either.

If he plays and scores like prime Lampard for the rest of the season I'll be right here with you saying that he deserves all the praise, but it wouldn't mean that the performances he's put in over the last 5 years suddenly changes for the better and the criticism he's gotten for them has been undeserved or warrants an apology.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Top scorer for the club and absolutely hated by the majority of the fans.

Bizarre one.

kundalini

Just looking at the stats on Fbref. It really is hard to work out how he can play 90 minutes and pass the ball so little. 24 passes attempted last night. That's less than Antony (32) a lot less than Garnacho (45) and less than half as many as Amrabat (49) and Bruno (55) The fact that Bruno is so much more involved proves this issue is not about him playing high up the pitch. I don't know how this issue gets fixed. We need him to play for his goal threat but that also means we play the match with 10.5 men, which is going to get us found out against anyone other than a shockingly poor Chelsea team.
Go look at Mason Mount's stats for the first two PL matches this season. McTominay and Mount are playing the same role (much higher than Eriksen played last season).

Mount v Wolves 17 completed passes out of 21 attempts. He was substituted after 69 mins. At the moment Mount was substituted, Casemiro had attempted 50, Fernandes 36.

Mount v Spurs 15 completed passes out of 18. Substituted after 85 mins, by that stage Casemiro 29 attempted passes, Fernandes 43.

The DM (Casemiro/Amrabat/Mainoo) gets the ball from the defence. The team as a whole, look to pass to Fernandes so he can create chances. The team does not look to pass to McTominay because he is limited in possession, lacking the vision and range of passing needed.

I don't even understand why you would want McTominay to be attempting a high number of passes. If Wan-Bissaka and Shaw are playing full-back, do you really want Wan-Bissaka to be attempting a similar number of passes to Shaw ?

Scott needs to improve his play in the final third. The header from Fernandes' cross should have been aimed where the keeper had no chance of saving it. In other games recently he hasn't got himself into dangerous positions in the area. The assist for Hojlund's goal against Galatasaray was very good but we don't see that often enough. The disallowed goal early on against Fulham was a pattern we should be able to repeat (minus Maguire being offside) instead of a once a season event. He rarely threatens to score from corners. His fierce shot against City that required a decent save, was a big chance to score if he had directed it further away from Ederson while keeping it on target. His shot volume isn't high enough; he is one of the few players in the team that has a fierce enough shot to have a decent success rate from outside the box.

On Understat, Scott has been outperforming his expected goals even before this season (overall, fluctuates from season to season, last season he was below). He may not seem like a good finisher but the stats suggest that he is.

Conceding fewer penalties would also be helpful.

Last edited:

gajender

I’d rather keep Maguire with his current form, he’s never relied on pace he’ll get better as he gets older as we are seeing right now plus he won’t complain if he’s a squad player.

Rather sell Marcus Rashford. PSG of Barcelona will pay the £75m and we should only sell Scott if we get £50m this summer. Use that £125m to rebuild ?
Maguire is decent player but ideally even as squad player you want somebody who can slot seamlessly and you don't have to alter your play style significantly that's where likes of Maguire and Mctominay impact is felt .

Without putting figures on fees I wouldn't be averse to moving Rashford along with them come Summer .

Crashoutcassius

He actively avoids the ball, been stated for years.
Working out at the moment. Why should we pass him the ball in tight spaces? To prove a point over and over? His strength is his energy, physical strength and breaking runs into the box and channels. He is by a mile our biggest attacking threat and he is our only physically strong player in the midfield.

Marcelinho87

Working out at the moment. Why should we pass him the ball in tight spaces? To prove a point over and over? His strength is his energy, physical strength and breaking runs into the box and channels. He is by a mile our biggest attacking threat and he is our only physically strong player in the midfield.
And whilst that is fair enough, you can't complain in matchday threads that we are been overrun because of the likes of him.

Man Utd 0:3 Bournemouth

Zoo

Can we end this bollox with him now. He’s a last 20 minutes player when needing a goal. No more

Raw

We are persisting with a midfielder who barely touches the ball because he manages to score a few goals. It's baffling!

FerociousCorgis

Almost like he isn't a midfielder for a team that wants to compete for the title at some point. Mainoo-amrabat- Bruno would be a midfield to actually give us some semblance of hope for control but nah let's just keep setting up a diabolical 4-1-4-1 so we can accommodate Scott fecking Mctominay

L1nk

New Fellaini, can pop up with a goal every now and again which is important when we are playing so bad. But he's also part of the reason we are playing so bad because he just isn't a serious midfielder at all.

How he got 90 minutes is criminal.

MrEleson

New Fellaini, can pop up with a goal every now and again which is important when we are playing so bad. But he's also part of the reason we are playing so bad because he just isn't a serious midfielder at all.

How he got 90 minutes is criminal.
Fellaini was a better player than this guy.

Roboc7

He was out of his depth today, played like a complete coward against Newcastle but in between scored only two goals we’ve scored across the three games.

Complete detriment to the team if he doesn’t score but he’s never getting subbed off because of his goal threat. ETH is reliant on him and it’s a complete mess.

Yagami

Good post resistant
By starting him we're basically surrendering the midfield. His goals were nice but it's not sustainable to play with one midfielder.

Superunknown

I would bring him on in the second half of games where the game is deadlocked or if we are chasing a goal. He cannot play the position. I like that he's scoring goals, but we will concede way more if we continue to play him in midfield.

Paddymcc

I'd love to know how many times he touched the ball in that second half. What a coward of a player.

Sanchez7

Scoring those goals has made him an even worse midfielder as he has no intention to even try and pass the ball. Just get into the box and try to score. Ultimately, I blame the manager - a 26 player isn't going to change, he is what he is but the manager can't recognise it.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
His only job on the field is to somehow get into the box and save ETH's job.

'Aggy has developed a new postion: A false central midfielder goal searcher. He really is a genius!

Bobski

By starting him we're basically surrendering the midfield. His goals were nice but it's not sustainable to play with one midfielder.
McT was shit, but people just need to accept that this is the midfield set up that Ten Hag wants. it was exactly the same when Mount was in the team, only time we have had a midfield pair was when Cas and Eriksen were going well last year.

It is idiotic.

Manny

Grammar Police
Sick of having to watch him. An absolute liability in our third. Has no understanding of what is going on around him. Can't pass, can't tackle, and now can't score.

He shouldn't be starting and Kobbie should have been brought on in the second half.

Yagami

Good post resistant
McT was shit, but people just need to accept that this is the midfield set up that Ten Hag wants. it was exactly the same when Mount was in the team, only time we have had a midfield pair was when Cas and Eriksen were going well last year.

It is idiotic.
No arguments there. He could easily instruct him to stay deeper and keep us more compact defensively, but he's fine with him vacating the midfield to be a presence in the final third. I don't get how, as a result of this, he can't see how detrimental it is to us actually winning games.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Another player riding on the “fight and passion” narrative. Given that we are a Moments FC team, Scott will always have his 15 mins of fame when we string a couple of fluke wins together.

drdoityourself

Because of his perceived goal threat he can play like shite and there will be no consequences. Never subbed. We lack any connection between midfield and attack almost every time he plays and unfortunately it has become every game. No excuses for the others, some dire players in our squad but this can not be our starting midfielder if we want to progress.

Heinzesight

Shite. If you play him, stick him up top. Otherwise leave him on the bench. A nothing midfielder. Wouldn’t get in the midfield of any PL sides.

Bobski

No arguments there. He could easily instruct him to stay deeper and keep us more compact defensively, but he's fine with him vacating the midfield to be a presence in the final third. I don't get how, as a result of this, he can't see how detrimental it is to us actually winning games.
Been saying all season that his midfield set up will get him the sack, it is unexplainable.