2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

spiriticon

I want to get angry with McT but the manager keeps insisting that he play in a role that is clearly unsuitable for him.

Sigh.

McT has one talent and that is to be a nuisance in the opponent's box at certain times. Don't ask him to recycle possession, don't ask him to protect the back four, don't ask him to control the tempo of the game. Please, for the love of god.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
As I've said a few times, McTominay's all-round game is actually worse in this position than it is when he played deeper. And considering he was already the weakest part of the team in that position, that's saying something.

He's a bit more of a goal threat though, so he's got that going for him.

Cantona’s Kung Fu Kick

It’s hilarious there are Utd fans who think he is worth 50m, wouldn’t even get in that West Ham team. If he doesn’t score his contribution is almost non existent but manager doesn’t have guts to sub him off.
There’s one on here who thinks he’s worth £100m as he’s just as good as Rice apparently. Comedy gold that one but I think he must be trolling us.

mav_9me

Said it a million times, either needs to be a striker or not play. He's good defensively and at scoring, unfortunately he lacks the the actual skills to play the position in between those two areas
Good defensively is a huge misunderstanding.

Players frequently go past him, he lacks positional awareness bigtime.

Watch how he let's Paqueta take all the time in the world when playing that pass for the first goal, right in front of him. Most definitely poor defensively.

mav_9me

He isn't even a goal threat. 17 league goals in 159 games. Prior to this season, his highest league tally for goals was 4.
Exactly. He has scored 5 goals in 1058 mins in PL and 1 in 381 minutes in CL for an average of one goal every 240 mins, a goal every 2.6 matches. Goal threat my ass.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Good defensively is a huge misunderstanding.

Players frequently go past him, he lacks positional awareness bigtime.

Watch how he let's Paqueta take all the time in the world when playing that pass for the first goal, right in front of him. Most definitely poor defensively.
People see a big tall limited player who talks a good game and think he's some kind of defensive wrecking ball. He's almost never anywhere near to snuff out a danger.

Roboc7

There’s one on here who thinks he’s worth £100m as he’s just as good as Rice apparently. Comedy gold that one but I think he must be trolling us.
That’s crazy, I thought the comparisons to Rice died off a couple of years ago. 30m would be a great price for him, might be decent squad player somewhere like Everton.

Anyone thinking we’ll get 50m is living in a dream world, at best there are 4 or 5 teams in the league he’d be a starter for (and that’s being generous) and none of those have or would spend 50m on him.

Alemar

Why does this manager continue to select him is an absolute mystery. Total shit of a performance, he did absolutely nothing. Again.

Cantona’s Kung Fu Kick

That’s crazy, I thought the comparisons to Rice died off a couple of years ago. 30m would be a great price for him, might be decent squad player somewhere like Everton.

Anyone thinking we’ll get 50m is living in a dream world, at best there are 4 or 5 teams in the league he’d be a starter for (and that’s being generous) and none of those have or would spend 50m on him.
I know it’s literally ludicrous, so ludicrous I have to think said person is just trolling us. He’s repeated it a good few times, just for a laugh I think.

RedDevilQuebecois

The simple fact that two teenagers can step into the team and straight away offer more on the ball than him says it all for me.
It does. He will never offer anything good to a team whenever there is a task where offering something substantial on the ball is a must.

Eddy_JukeZ

If our next manager makes him a permanent fixture in our midfield, I give up right away.

I truly don't understand how Scott McTominay has basically been given a free role in the team.

Scott McTominay. Not Lionel Messi, not Neymar, etc.

But Scott McTominay.

Mmm-Qatarian

"McTominay is our biggest goal threat, that's why he's in the team" is the footballing equivalent of keeping a known arsonist in the fire brigade because he's quite handy with a hose.

In Rainbows

Yet the conclusion that McT make the team play worse is happily ignoring that Utd were even worse without him playing this season, and that he is quite blatantly not playing CM in the tactical set up that Ten Hag uses him in.
Even in the tactical role Ten Hag has him in, he sucks at. A player in that role obviously needs a great first touch, ability to spring attacks in the half turn, through ball ability, and preferably dribbling. So he check marks 1/5 qualities that role should have. How else is an overload meant to give United a tactical attacking advantage?

lex talionis

It makes me sad seeing that Manchester United Football Club, the club that won European trophies under Sir Matt Busby and Sir Alex Ferguson, has featured Scott McTominay as a regular starter fit most of the last five seasons. As our descent accelerates, the more our manager relies on him.

afatzp

McT constantly in the starting 11 sums up that Ten Hag has lost his way and football philosophy. Yes he scored couple goals to save the days, but he also clearly not up to the level to help the team play dominant and controlling football.

On the other hand, Ten Hag just constantly asks Bruno to play No.8 and move Bruno away from No.10 position to suite McT . I'm no fans of Bruno but he has better tracked records of scoring goals at No.10 than McT , and the decision should be simple enough .

Sylar

I find it hard to be annoyed at mctominay despite him being useless the majority of the time. It's similar to when we had fellaini for sure, he's being picked and keeps getting picked in a position where there are better players even with all the injuries.

The two goals v Brentford were a great moment but also seems costly. It's bizarre that eth isn't using Scott the same way, as a player you bring on towards the end

Pughnichi

The modern day Darron Gibson. Capable of the occasional goal, but so far from the standard required for a top club.

We aren’t a top club btw so I guess he fits.

But if we are serious with aspirations to get back to being a top club, the manager should walk straight up to him and tell him to ask his agent to find a new club at the earliest opportunity.

Bobski

Even in the tactical role Ten Hag has him in, he sucks at. A player in that role obviously needs a great first touch, ability to spring attacks in the half turn, through ball ability, and preferably dribbling. So he check marks 1/5 qualities that role should have. How else is an overload meant to give United a tactical attacking advantage?
It is an idiotic set up by a manager out of his depth. Just frustrates me that some people continue to harp on shit like passes completed as if he is still playing DM and not showing for the ball. The issues you point out are far more key, teams have also already adapted to that right channel run that was having success so the goal threat he was bringing is much more sporadic.

I don't think he was particularly bad yesterday in terms of numbers, 89% pass completion 31/35, 4 aerials won, 3 tackles, 5 clearances, and for me kept Soucek very quiet, but there was no attacking threat, and he along with too many of our other attackers has a painful case of tunnel vision when he gets around the box, add that to his technical issues and you are rarely going to get any creativity for others out of him. If he has to play it should be as a part of standard 3, were he can make late runs into the box but plays in general play much closer to the DM, not this nonsense that Ten Hag has inflicted on us.

Utd have been on a death spiral since the league cup final, and for a large portion of that McT was nowhere near the starting line up. I think as a fanbase we like to push many of the teams issues onto 1 or 2 players, hoping when they are removed we will see huge improvements, it is not a realistic mindset, the issues are far greater than one player.

Last edited:

Telsim

My Scotty shall always play. This guy doesn't make the squad for any other top half club, but he is an integral starter for us. And he isn't the only one, but definitely the most prominent lately.

ManchesterMats

Weird thing is that one could actually arguy McTominay being our most valuble player so far this season. At the moment I consider him our captain on the pitch with the highest workrate plus being the only player consistently scoring goals.

McTominay gets an aweful lot of criticism here. Some of it is justified. But with him on the pitch at least I feel assured he will play for the club and the supporters. I don’t feel that way watching players like Martial, Sancho, Antony or even Fernandes.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I don’t even want to post in here anymore - that’s how long it’s been quite evident that he’s nowhere near good enough for us, yet has started for the best part of what 4-5 years now? Says as much about the state of the club, the rest of the signings etc. as it does about McT in fairness. But yeah, guys at best, a mid table level midfielder, who starts (for the most part) for us.