2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

ManchesterMats

I don’t even want to post in here anymore - that’s how long it’s been quite evident that he’s nowhere near good enough for us, yet has started for the best part of what 4-5 years now? Says as much about the state of the club, the rest of the signings etc. as it does about McT in fairness. But yeah, guys at best, a mid table level midfielder, who starts (for the most part) for us.
If McTominay isn’t good enough for playing in Manchester United. Then who in the team is good enough? McTominay is putting in 90+ minutes of hard work every single game. He leads the team on the pitch plus he is scoring goals.

That is more than you can say about our so called ”captain” Bruno who throws away the ball for nothing dosenz of times every single game.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
If McTominay isn’t good enough for playing in Manchester United. Then who in the team is good enough? McTominay is putting in 90+ minutes of hard work every single game. He leads the team on the pitch plus he is scoring goals.

That is more than you can say about our so called ”captain” Bruno who throws away the ball for nothing dosenz of times every single game.
If you’ve watched McTominay and reckon his good enough to propel us to where we would like to be, then it’s pointless having this very conversation with you, respectfully. And like I said, it says as much about McT as it does the rest of the squad as well….which really answers your question. Ps as bad as Bruno can be (& I’m one of the minority who would like us to move on from him to a more possession orientated midfield/10), he still shits all over McT the last 3-4 years.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Ah, the good old 'hard work' myth for McTominay. Amazing that it's still going after watching him just jog around so often. Defensively he does no more work than Bruno, while Bruno gets through about double the work load when we have the ball.

A few years ago I went through the stats of 26 central midfielders in the league (basically all the midfielders of the top teams plus a bunch of the other noteworthy ones) and McTominay was in the bottom third for the amount of defensive work he did, which is the one thing he was supposed to be good at. Meanwhile he was even lower for on-the-ball attributes.

Marwood

Weird thing is that one could actually arguy McTominay being our most valuble player so far this season. At the moment I consider him our captain on the pitch with the highest workrate plus being the only player consistently scoring goals.

McTominay gets an aweful lot of criticism here. Some of it is justified. But with him on the pitch at least I feel assured he will play for the club and the supporters. I don’t feel that way watching players like Martial, Sancho, Antony or even Fernandes.
He hasn't consistently scored though. He's scored in 3 Prem games and 1 CL game.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.

:lol::lol:

EliotTheRed

Have you watched Everton recently? He doesn't get in their side.
No chance he gets into Everton's team.

We gave them James Garner who is a better player for a start.
I meant the stereotypical ‘knock it long and hope the big fella gets on it’ type of play. But granted Everton are on a decent little run, maybe I did them a disservice. Either way, the more he plays for us the worse it seems to get.

Cantona’s Kung Fu Kick

Yet the conclusion that McT make the team play worse is happily ignoring that Utd were even worse without him playing this season, and that he is quite blatantly not playing CM in the tactical set up that Ten Hag uses him in.
Except of course that’s just not true.
Weird thing is that one could actually arguy McTominay being our most valuble player so far this season. At the moment I consider him our captain on the pitch with the highest workrate plus being the only player consistently scoring goals.

McTominay gets an aweful lot of criticism here. Some of it is justified. But with him on the pitch at least I feel assured he will play for the club and the supporters. I don’t feel that way watching players like Martial, Sancho, Antony or even Fernandes.
If he is truly our most valuable player then the transformation into Watford is complete. His work rate along with his supposed goal threat is a complete myth. Literally jogs around the place making no attempt to get back and scores the occasional goal. If he is the ‘captain on the pitch’ then no wonder we are 8th and dropping badly. Truly astonishing how standards have dropped.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

That myth still exists?

Oranges038

Watched the goals again.

His effort to get out and close Pacqueta for the ball he played to Bowen was pathetic, fecking ball watching and too slow to react to the pass in to him.

mav_9me

Watched the goals again.

His effort to get out and close Pacqueta for the ball he played to Bowen was pathetic, fecking ball watching and too slow to react to the pass in to him.
I pointed this out in the matchday thread right away.

If I can see it surely ETH can see it.

I don't think even God can explain McT starting every match.

lex talionis

Other than occasionally snashing in a loose ball in the box SM serves no purpose whatever on a football pitch.

ManchesterMats

If you’ve watched McTominay and reckon his good enough to propel us to where we would like to be, then it’s pointless having this very conversation with you, respectfully. And like I said, it says as much about McT as it does the rest of the squad as well….which really answers your question. Ps as bad as Bruno can be (& I’m one of the minority who would like us to move on from him to a more possession orientated midfield/10), he still shits all over McT the last 3-4 years.
The thing is that I don’t really rate McTominay as a player beeing good enough for Manchester United. But at the moment he actually is one of our most valuable players on the pitch every game.

Something is extremely wrong at the club right now. Every player we bring on to the team turns in to a shadow of themself at their former clubs

In a healty and prosperous Manchester United McTominay wouldn’t have a spot in the squad. At least he wouldn’t be playing regularly in the first eleven. But for now he is our highest performing player and shouldn’t be the one we critizise game after game.

RuudTom83

Being durable is a quality you need in the Prem...If any of the others could stay fit, then his place would be under threat. But until that happens it's not really McTom's fault the rest are currently performing worse than him.

MadDogg

In a healty and prosperous Manchester United McTominay wouldn’t have a spot in the squad. At least he wouldn’t be playing regularly in the first eleven. But for now he is our highest performing player and shouldn’t be the one we critizise game after game.
He's not though. He's one of our worst players in almost every match, it's just that occasionally he'll score a goal or two which kind of compensates in that match.

Strikers who have terrible all-round play and don't do anything but score a good amount of goals struggle to have a place in any kind of top team these days. They are considered to be too limiting and have a negative impact on the team as a whole. That balance is even worse when it's a midfielder (even one who is playing as a #10 like Scott is this season) who has scored 3 goals in his last 12 games.

ManchesterMats

He's not though. He's one of our worst players in almost every match, it's just that occasionally he'll score a goal or two which kind of compensates in that match.

Strikers who have terrible all-round play and don't do anything but score a good amount of goals struggle to have a place in any kind of top team these days. They are considered to be too limiting and have a negative impact on the team as a whole. That balance is even worse when it's a midfielder (even one who is playing as a #10 like Scott is this season) who has scored 3 goals in his last 12 games.
He has scored 5 goals in United 11 latest Premier League games and is having the best season of his life so far.

This is just ridicolous. Complain about Hojlund, Lindelof and Antony instead. I get that McTominay isn’t a top player in the world. But for now; he’s the best we’ve got.

MadDogg

He has scored 5 goals in United 11 latest Premier League games and is having the best season of his life so far.

This is just ridicolous. Complain about Hojlund, Lindelof and Antony instead. I get that McTominay isn’t a top player in the world. But for now; he’s the best we’ve got.
He is not even close to having his best season. In terms of general performance this is probably his worst ever season. Only 21/22 was arguably worse. The fact he's scoring some goals doesn't change that.

In saying that, it's not completely his fault. ETH has deliberately got him playing a different role which completely unbalances the team (the same happened early on with Mount), which makes it more difficult for everyone to perform. McTominay is finding it very difficult to basically do anything whatsoever other than score a few goals in this role, whereas in his deeper roles he at least gets involved a bit more (even if it was still far less than any other midfielder).

ManchesterMats

He is not even close to having his best season. In terms of general performance this is probably his worst ever season. Only 21/22 was arguably worse. The fact he's scoring some goals doesn't change that.

In saying that, it's not completely his fault. ETH has deliberately got him playing a different role which completely unbalances the team (the same happened early on with Mount), which makes it more difficult for everyone to perform. McTominay is finding it very difficult to basically do anything whatsoever other than score a few goals in this role, whereas in his deeper roles he at least gets involved a bit more (even if it was still far less than any other midfielder).
You are obviously biased. McTominay is having an ok season. The rest of the team is not. In fact I’m having trouble to find anyone else who is doing ok so far in United this season. Dalat has been ok and Mainoo has had a good couple of games.

For some reason the team as a whole is underperforming. While McTominay is not. Blame the Glazers, the coach or the captain...

MrBest

Hopefully his "goals" add extra 10m to his fee and we get rid as soon as possible. I'd rather see him as centre forward than in midfield. He can't do a midfielders job but he can get in the right spaces and be present in the box.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
The thing is that I don’t really rate McTominay as a player beeing good enough for Manchester United. But at the moment he actually is one of our most valuable players on the pitch every game.

Something is extremely wrong at the club right now. Every player we bring on to the team turns in to a shadow of themself at their former clubs

That’s a fair enough viewpoint, albeit I still think he’s only playing due to a lack of options (injuries to Eriksen, Casemiro, Mount etc). Even though he scores most of our goals, I actually don’t think he’s a top performer. In fact, having him in the team actually harms us as it automatically means we have zero control of the midfield. He barely makes himself available for the pass, let alone being actually able to dictate play etc. There’s also a lack of shielding for our defence with him in a midfield 2/no. 8 position. But yeah, ideally when everyone is back fit and available, we’ll start phasing him out. Maybe use him as an emergency option upfront when we need a goal late in a game.

Trequarista10

That’s a fair enough viewpoint, albeit I still think he’s only playing due to a lack of options (injuries to Eriksen, Casemiro, Mount etc). Even though he scores most of our goals, I actually don’t think he’s a top performer. In fact, having him in the team actually harms us as it automatically means we have zero control of the midfield. He barely makes himself available for the pass, let alone being actually able to dictate play etc. There’s also a lack of shielding for our defence with him in a midfield 2/no. 8 position. But yeah, ideally when everyone is back fit and available, we’ll start phasing him out. Maybe use him as an emergency option upfront when we need a goal late in a game.
Yup. The bold bit, it seems all United fans can see it. I had hoped that in ETH we were finally getting a manager who had a strong philosophy on how we should play, and that he would make decisions based on that. Short term sacrifice for longer term development of the team, like Pep shipping out the likes of Hart at City, or Eto'o, Zlatan and others at Barca. What's disappointed me most is that ETH has tried to accommodate players like McTominay, and whilst the odd goal might make it seem justified, long term its the wrong move.

Litch

Im not a Scott fan at all but it would appear every Utd manager has been since Jose. Not sure I believe this thing about EtH wanting to sell him, I think the club wanted the money.

ColvaleGoa

For my peace of mind , I just want us to start a game without Scotty.

I like the guy but just think he holds the team back so much.

Bring him on if we are losing on last 10 minutes.

Pughnichi

This great club has aspirations to be the best.

And our best has arguably been 99 and 2008

99 had a midfield of Keane, Butt, Scholes
08 had Scholes, Hargreaves, Fletcher, Carrick

Scott is so far off any of the above its laughable…he wouldn’t get any minutes in 99 or 08

you have to compare what we’ve got to what we had (during times of success)…or what the elite teams currently have (if we’re to compete with them).

And if we try throwing him into the squads at other current elite teams…he similarly isn’t getting any minutes.

he needs to go. It should really be a straight fwd decision. I can’t wait for the day

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yup. The bold bit, it seems all United fans can see it. I had hoped that in ETH we were finally getting a manager who had a strong philosophy on how we should play, and that he would make decisions based on that. Short term sacrifice for longer term development of the team, like Pep shipping out the likes of Hart at City, or Eto'o, Zlatan and others at Barca. What's disappointed me most is that ETH has tried to accommodate players like McTominay, and whilst the odd goal might make it seem justified, long term its the wrong move.
Yeah spot on re EtH as well. I had hoped for the same. Granted he has been dealt a bit of a blow and had his hand forced (sort of) with our extensive injury list. It’s still disappointing nonetheless.

ayushreddevil9

He scored 4 of those in 2 games, one was when he was on for 5 mins against Brentford and the other was against the mighty Chelsea.

If you cant see how negatively it impacts our overall play and only look at the goal scoring then this is a dead argument.

UnitedRepublic

He scored 4 of those in 2 games, one was when he was on for 5 mins against Brentford and the other was against the mighty Chelsea.

If you cant see how negatively it impacts our overall play and only look at the goal scoring then this is a dead argument.
This is the problem with people they only see goals. They don’t understand anything else and then they wonder why we can’t string a few passes together or have any pattern of play.

ayushreddevil9

This is the problem with people they only see goals. They don’t understand anything else and then they wonder why we can’t string a few passes together or have any pattern of play.
Exactly. We sacrifice so much just to hope that this guy can nick a goal.

JBG

Exactly. We sacrifice so much just to hope that this guy can nick a goal.
I've been trying to explain this to so many MU and non MU fans. It doesn't matter that he's our "topscorer". He doesn't add anything to our general play. Never a good option to pass to in the middle(cause he's hiking and awful on the ball when under pressure) and he's playing way too high up the pitch to actually contribute in defence (or just too lazy, like vs WH when he couldn't be bothered to close down Paqueta before his simple over the top pass to Bowen).

NZT-One

Spot on. This is an issue per se, becoming a core debating point in Bruno and Rashford threads over the last months. But for McTominay it is borderline comical because we are as low scoring as it gets and notions like he is our top scorers are as misleading as it gets. He got 4 goals in 2 games ffs. In the last matches he had next to no chance made probably 2 or 3 attempts. Keeping him in the team because of his goal threat is crazy. What if Pellistri scores a hattrick today, will he be a mainstay in the team for the whole season?! I think, for some people he would.

Not just club, fanbase as well. Imagine, there are people who still carry the myth around that McTom is a hard worker or big goal threat. All of this is based on lazy comparisons against our own shitty players. Compare McTom to the players of other teams, then we could have an argument. Comparing him non-performers in our own team is like a circular reference in Excel

Cantona’s Kung Fu Kick

Being durable is a quality you need in the Prem...If any of the others could stay fit, then his place would be under threat. But until that happens it's not really McTom's fault the rest are currently performing worse than him.
Yeah we really are plummeting the depths when this guy gets praised for speaking well in a post match interview and not getting injured at a particular time. The transformation into Watford is truly com
“Even though he scores most of our goals”. You make it sound like he’s peak Ronaldo or Van Nistelrooy. He literally managed to bag a couple of goals in 2 games this season. He’s never done that in any of the other 200+ games he’s played and at best his goal scoring record is extremely modest. This myth has grown this season like he’s a hard worker. Equally untrue.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yeah we really are plummeting the depths when this guy gets praised for speaking well in a post match interview and not getting injured at a particular time. The transformation into Watford is truly com

“Even though he scores most of our goals”. You make it sound like he’s peak Ronaldo or Van Nistelrooy. He literally managed to bag a couple of goals in 2 games this season. He’s never done that in any of the other 200+ games he’s played and at best his goal scoring record is extremely modest. This myth has grown this season like he’s a hard worker. Equally untrue.
:lol: not sure why you’re over analysing that throwaway comment. But yeah, he’s scored a fair amount of goals this season - he’s our top scorer isn’t he? In the league I think anyway. But yeah, I’m nowhere near his biggest admirer anyway, so I don’t really disagree with what you’re saying. He shouldn’t be anywhere near the starting XI, debatably even the squad.

edgecutter

Hannibal was on for less mins and I think he had more of an.impacy as a sub.

A dreadful player that has hindered us for weeks. Hopefully that's him done

JBG

Absolutely no surprise that we look like a football team the minute he is dropped.
This 1000x, helps that Eriksen was his replacement today, but still. Looked so much better in attack without him.

Robocrap

Can we please stop with the McTominay nonsense now? Start Amrabat or Eriksen from now on please!