2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

NZT-One

Because people are sheep and social media groupthink. Add in that hot takes are the name of day, it can't just be that McT is a decent PL player with strengths and weaknesses, it has to be he is shit and a pub player. Hyperbole rules.

Tell me how he is a worse player than Soucek for example.
Would you want Soucek in our team?

Bobski

Would you want Soucek in our team?
No, but there is a difference between not being good enough to consistently start for Utd and being a bad footballer. The guy has now been trusted by multiple managers over multiple years, he is quite a good player.

Roboc7

Should have had another assist, should have played Antony in.
Well, it's not given that Antony would have scored, but it was the correct thing to do.

Nevertheless, I like him in his substitution role. Roams around with fresh legs, commits to challenge, looks dangerous.

Can't be a starter for me.
We’ve seen consistently he is not even close to being some who should start more than a handful of games, even played further forward he’s been really poor.

He can be good impact player in right circumstances though, like he has been in last two games but whether he’d be happy to only be used as a sub at this stage in his career seems unlikely.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
He should never start for us but he's a really good bench option. Nice cameo again.

Red Rash

Was invisible in midfield. But a very good assist
Yea I think this sums it up. I mean, decent sub appearance for the assist but he doesn't get involved much other than that. But this is the role McTominay should have in the squad.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

The situation triggers me so hard - I am puzzled about myself. We thought about selling him this summer, brought in Amrabat, not sold him because we wanted more money and now the guy plays every week while Amrabat sits on the bench for a 10 million loan fee.
That's all down to Amrabat's own doing. He has been poor in most of his games this season. McTominay hasn't been great either, but at least he pops up with a goal. Neither of them should be anywhere near the starting lineup. Hopefully neither of them will be at Old Trafford next season.

NZT-One

That's all down to Amrabat's own doing. He has been poor in most of his games this season. McTominay hasn't been great either, but at least he pops up with a goal. Neither of them should be anywhere near the starting lineup. Hopefully neither of them will be at Old Trafford next season.
Yeah, I agree. Thing is, with Amrabat, there is still a little glimmer of hope that his outings for us were connected to adaptation and so on. Don't get me wrong, as of now, I wouldn't try to sign him as things stand but we payed the fee anyways so we might as well give him a chance here and there. I think he is fresh from injury so don't want to be too harsh. My point is, McT isn't some sort of unknown entity anymore. We know what we get and what we don't get. With Amrabat not so much and in theory, he should be a more useful player for us than McT.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Yeah, I agree. Thing is, with Amrabat, there is still a little glimmer of hope that his outings for us were connected to adaptation and so on. Don't get me wrong, as of now, I wouldn't try to sign him as things stand but we payed the fee anyways so we might as well give him a chance here and there. I think he is fresh from injury so don't want to be too harsh. My point is, McT isn't some sort of unknown entity anymore. We know what we get and what we don't get. With Amrabat not so much and in theory, he should be a more useful player for us than McT.
If Casemiro and Mainoo were both injured then I'm sure we'd see Amrabat get a chance here and there. As of right now, there's really no need to try him out when we have the DM position covered. McTominay is a known entity - when we bring him off the bench we know we're getting height from set pieces and a goalscoring threat. My only issue with this is that I'd prefer Eriksen to be further ahead in the pecking order, but I don't see any reason why Amrabat should be brought off the bench ahead of Mctominay (unless it's a game like Man City away, where we're parked on the edge of our box defending a lead in the last 20 minutes).

Alemar

Actually it’s a decent bench option. Goal and assist in the last two sub appearances for McTominay. The key is to keep him out of the starting XI

Mike Smalling

Good cameo. He's great from the bench, when the game has broken down a bit, and he can more easily break the line with runs forward with or without the ball. Came on at the right time as well, so credit to ETH for that.

Alemar

One way or another, 7g + 2a so far this season. Only Bruno, Hojlund and Rashford have more

Diamond Chap

Supports
Airdrieonians
Sometimes I feel like im one of the few who thinks McT deserves a longer stay with this club. Where my fellow McTominators/Tommies at?
I think he is an asset to the Club, and does enough to stay.
He may not start most games, but impacts significantly in the final 30mins.
We don't have any other players better suited for that imo.

KjaAnd

Like many of us have said for ages, this should be his role. Coming on when the game is more end-to-end where he can use his ability to drive the ball forward and his lack of positional isn't as big of a deal.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
McTominay's counter pressing was very effective today and he did a good job driving forward and playing it simple. He's at his most effective when he doesn't try to overdo it. When he started trying to play diagonals it started going wrong. Winning the ball, running forward and playing it into space for our forwards was very effective. He should stick to that, it works better for everyone when he does.

Sylar

He's fine coming on as a sub this season like this. We have better players to start and that should stay the case.

caid

He should never start for us but he's a really good bench option. Nice cameo again.
I dont know about that. After watching west ham 'accidentally' foul us numerous times today maybe he makes sense to have around. We dont need balon dor winners to beat them but giving them someone who'll kick them back to deal with would be welcome at times. I guess its not a common set up in the league these days.

Lj82

I hope that the "he's our best scorer" lines are thrown away. Our attack is pretty dire, that the guy is our topscorer tells us more about out attacking players than it tells about him. I thought, he was solid to invisible today. He popped up at the right time to punish a Westham mistake in the builtup which he did but lets not get carried away, only thing he had to do there was to not feck it up.

The situation triggers me so hard - I am puzzled about myself. We thought about selling him this summer, brought in Amrabat, not sold him because we wanted more money and now the guy plays every week while Amrabat sits on the bench for a 10 million loan fee. I already see it coming - in May or June people will talk about us being fine with midfield options and that we should put other priorities first. Damn, this fecking story is infinite

But kudos to the guy, he played to solid to good games in a row from the bench, don't want to take that away from him

I think that's not giving him enough credit. He created the chance through his pressing, and he did well to pick out Garnacho.

Was nice to see Case giving Mctominay credits when they celebrated the goal

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
No player of MCT's age will want to be regarded as a perennial squad option. I can see him force a move away in the summer, perhaps to a mid-table premier league club when first team action is guranteed

NZT-One

I think that's not giving him enough credit. He created the chance through his pressing, and he did well to pick out Garnacho.

Was nice to see Case giving Mctominay credits when they celebrated the goal
I see your point and yes, I would have celebrated his involvement as well when on the pitch but it isn't like McTominay made it his own - pressing is a group thing, the result is achieved by all participants. And in this specific case, I thought it was more of a Westham mistake than something that was created by McTominay. Didn't the Westham player just turn away? He should have been aware that McTominay is physically superior and should have given the ball back with one contact, nobody would talk about that scene anymore.

Again - he did well and I am happy for him, that it got rewarded but I think this whole "he has his uses" schtick isn't going to help the situation. I like McTominay, he should play PL football every week. But not for us. There are physical players out there without the deficiencies he has. And it is possible, to have a better functioning attack so your part-time AM playing CM with good timing isn't the one leading the internal scoring charts.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
At least there are games in which he shines. VdB is a pointless player, McT is not.

Robocrap

His cameos will hopefully drive up his value so we can sell him in summer. Goes towards FFP as well :)

Oscar Bonavena

Scott falls between too many stools to be good enough as a regular starter for us. Not defensively minded enough to be a number 6, not technically efficient enough to be a number 8, and not creative enough to be a number 10.

But the guy seems to have a natural knack for getting himself on the end of gilt edged chances, and more often than not he takes them. Nearly every appearance he makes, off the bench especially, he'll have a glorious chance to score at some point. Incredible how often it happens, especially in a team that has been struggling for chances and goals most of the season.

Lampard and Scholes were similar in that regard, albeit being much better footballers.

In a fully functioning, high scoring, winning United team, we probably wouldn't need Scott's services as most games would be sewn up with 20/30 minutes to go. But until we get to that stage consistently, it mightn't be the cleverest move to sell him. He's had to bail us out several times already this season.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

My main problem with him is that managers keep falling into the trap that he is a starter. Especially when things get rough someone with his attitude and work ethic is somebody you trust.
As long as we keep him as option for certain situations fine, but don’t start him.

J2J

He has no business starting for a team with ambitions to challenge for the league, but he still has a role as someone who can come on with 20 mins to go to grab a goal, or to see out a game if you want to give a more important player a rest.

He has demonstrated his value this season and if we do sell him it should be for 40m+ with how the market currently is.

Bobski

4.8 out of 10 with the season he has been having.

Tell me he gets fair treatment by the fanbase.