g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Scott McTominay | Transfer discussion not performance discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
German media now reporting about Bayern's interest in Fulham's Palhinha which would make a whole lot more sense than McTominay.

Xaviboy

German media now reporting about Bayern's interest in Fulham's Palhinha which would make a whole lot more sense than McTominay.
Be in for shock when relise he will cost more then McTominey. Fulham will take them to cleaners. 50/60 mill

Idxomer

Bayern aren't seriously in for McTominay.

He may be 5th or 6th option on some list but it's never going to progress for them to make any kind of an offer.

90 + 5min

So what specifically are you seeing that Ten Hag isn't then?

Because if Ten Hag had Rice or Caicedo, they would be playing every week for us.
No they wouldn’t. None of them are better than Casimero, Fernandes, Mount. And No better than McTominay or Eriksen. This love for Rice and Caicedo is same as people with Pogba. Average players that people somehow valued far from their ability.

tenHag don’t know everything. Every manager have faults. Just because he doesn’t play Mctominay doesn’t mean he is bad player. It is managers choice.

Ekeke

If we use this stats as example, there is no way someone can say that Rice and Caicedo are 100m players. If we use this stats we can clearly see that McTominay is better on lot of mentioned statistic. So why would McTominay be valued worse? So if you want to talk about DM position, McTominay is better than Rice defensivly although he isn't even a defensive midfielder. That doesn't help Rice. Same goes with Caicedo.

I just want to say that I watch football and judge what I see. I don't look at stats. But if you want to look at stats, you have shown that McTominay isn't worse player. Thank you for that.
Because some of those stats are far more important than others. If you want to be a team that is good at passing then your midfielders need to be good at passing. McTom is far worse than them

Your DM doesnt need to be great in the air. They dont need to score more goals than other DMs.

Caicedo is much better at finding attacking players with his passing. Thats why he's sought over in that DM position over others who like him, are good at ball winning.

Rice is sought after because he's good at the passing, and he's good at running the ball past players trying to press and win the ball back from him setting the team on the attack.

McTom is not sought after because he doesnt have those qualities you want for your DM. He just has the basics

Then you might say well McTom is better as an attacking player. And yeah he's good in the air and has a good shot. But is he good enough for a big club in an attacking area? No. Because once again what those teams want is a player who is good at being creative and has influence with their passing, dribbling and making things happen as well as shooting.

So once again he doesnt fit what is sought after in an attacking role either.

So where he ends up is a mid table quality midfielder with a few qualities in defensive areas, and a few in attacking areas but doesnt have enough influence and quality to be a top club midfielder.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Erm…. Not really proven that is it. Currently their most productive player is Andreas. We all know that story.
Based on what he showed last season (which was just a continuation of how he'd performed in Portugal before that) he's clearly a better DM then Scott, and that's the position that Bayern is supposedly looking to sign.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
No they wouldn’t. None of them are better than Casimero, Fernandes, Mount. And No better than McTominay or Eriksen. This love for Rice and Caicedo is same as people with Pogba. Average players that people somehow valued far from their ability.

tenHag don’t know everything. Every manager have faults. Just because he doesn’t play Mctominay doesn’t mean he is bad player. It is managers choice.
I'm curious, are there any midfielders outside the top teams in the PL that you think are better than McTominay?

gaffs

You are swimming against the tide. The best clubs in the league wanted Rice and/or Casimero. No one wants Mctominay for a fraction of their price. Not even his own manager wants to play Mctominay - he is about to sign Amrabat over him.

Mctominay is bang average. We have a large enough sample size of him to make a judgement.

When was Mctominay's stand out game for United?

MasterDarcy

ETH doesn't negotiate the transfer fees, he just tells our DOF who he'd be interested in bringing in and then it's left to them. He hasn't overspent on them, the club have.
Yes, but he would definitely have been privy to the numbers involved.

In his prime Casemiro was world class. He isn't anymore. £60m for a player who has a body type that was never going to last in his 30s, Real Madrid is laughing.

EtH knew Antony. £90m is insane.

I'm sure he could've torpedoes either transfers. He should have.

And now we're going to buy a younger version of Casemiro in Amrabat.

It's like a slapstick comedy.

90 + 5min

Because some of those stats are far more important than others. If you want to be a team that is good at passing then your midfielders need to be good at passing. McTom is far worse than them

Your DM doesnt need to be great in the air. They dont need to score more goals than other DMs.

Caicedo is much better at finding attacking players with his passing. Thats why he's sought over in that DM position over others who like him, are good at ball winning.

Rice is sought after because he's good at the passing, and he's good at running the ball past players trying to press and win the ball back from him setting the team on the attack.

McTom is not sought after because he doesnt have those qualities you want for your DM. He just has the basics

Then you might say well McTom is better as an attacking player. And yeah he's good in the air and has a good shot. But is he good enough for a big club in an attacking area? No. Because once again what those teams want is a player who is good at being creative and has influence with their passing, dribbling and making things happen as well as shooting.

So once again he doesnt fit what is sought after in an attacking role either.

So where he ends up is a mid table quality midfielder with a few qualities in defensive areas, and a few in attacking areas but doesnt have enough influence and quality to be a top club midfielder.
You wanted to show stats and they did show that McTominay is better player. It wasn't me. If we choose to trust your stats. Pretty much, only thing he is worse is passing. Passing is not football. Football is about lot of other qualities. You are also talking about what you think teams want. That passing is more important than other things. That is up to managers. That is why Arteta decided to pay Rice that much. That is why Chelsea decided to pay Caicedo that much. No other teams want to give that sort of money because they know these guys were overvalued.

I'm curious, are there any midfielders outside the top teams in the PL that you think are better than McTominay?
Of course there are players whos qualities make them better.

You are swimming against the tide. The best clubs in the league wanted Rice and/or Casimero. No one wants Mctominay for a fraction of their price. Not even his own manager wants to play Mctominay - he is about to sign Amrabat over him.

Mctominay is bang average. We have a large enough sample size of him to make a judgement.

When was Mctominay's stand out game for United?
Best clubs didn't want them for that money. Because they are not worth that much. Not even close. That is why clubs didn't show more than some interest. Interest and wanting somebody is two different things. Something every player in Premier League have.

You don't have to have stand out games to be good player. You can be that unoticed. Nobody here is saying McTominay is world class. But he is not worse than Rice and Caicedo which is the main point.

OrcaFat

Yes, but he would definitely have been privy to the numbers involved.

In his prime Casemiro was world class. He isn't anymore. £60m for a player who has a body type that was never going to last in his 30s, Real Madrid is laughing.

EtH knew Antony. £90m is insane.

I'm sure he could've torpedoes either transfers. He should have.

And now we're going to buy a younger version of Casemiro in Amrabat.

It's like a slapstick comedy.
Every time I read one of your posts I think what the feck.

FortunaUtd

He should not go to Bayern. He is no Kane who would play regardless of the manager. If Tuchel gets sacked you never know if the new manager will rate McT. But then he would always generate interest from PL so could easily play in England again if it doesn’t work out at Bayern.
Anyway, same as for West Ham. At least 35/40 mil otherwise I hope we keep him.
It has to be Gravenberch plus 20m.
Tuchel has been given control of recruitment and he's targeting EPL players.
I am afraid noone will pay '35/40m' for McTominay and surely not Bayern (not to mention that this figure is where they will value Gravenberch). He is also not the profile of player Tuchel explicitly stated he wants (a defensive 6).
It is not unthinkable that Tuchel may be weird and confused enough, as @JPRouve rightly has pointed out, to want a player that does not actually make sense even by his own parameters (and he does seem to be fixated on known PL names). But the rest of Bayern's transfer committee will have a word too and after they spent big on Kane they might feel content to have backed Tuchel sufficiently to feel confident about overriding him on his wishes for the 6 and right back.

Last edited:

Ekeke

You wanted to show stats and they did show that McTominay is better player. It wasn't me. If we choose to trust your stats. Pretty much, only thing he is worse is passing. Passing is not football. Football is about lot of other qualities. You are also talking about what you think teams want. That passing is more important than other things. That is up to managers. That is why Arteta decided to pay Rice that much. That is why Chelsea decided to pay Caicedo that much. No other teams want to give that sort of money because they know these guys were overvalued.
Obviously theres no point talking to a liar. You have been shown the information, told why McTom isnt rated like the players who premier league clubs have spent huge amounts of money on and you have refused to learn. So thats the end of it.

McTom is a midfielder with limited ability, you are a poster with much more limited ability.

90 + 5min

Obviously theres no point talking to a liar. You have been shown the information, told why McTom isnt rated like the players who premier league clubs have spent huge amounts of money on and you have refused to learn. So thats the end of it.

McTom is a midfielder with limited ability, you are a poster with much more limited ability.
Liar? You put out information about different statistics. Not me. Just look at them. Read them. If you want to look from that point of view.

gaffs

Best clubs didn't want them for that money. Because they are not worth that much. Not even close. That is why clubs didn't show more than some interest. Interest and wanting somebody is two different things. Something every player in Premier League have.
Have you got short term memory loss?
Liverpool had a £115mil bid in for Caicedo. City had a £90mil bid in for Rice.

You don't have to have stand out games to be good player. You can be that unoticed. Nobody here is saying McTominay is world class. But he is not worse than Rice and Caicedo which is the main point.
So McTominay is so good that he goes unnoticed?

He goes unnoticed because he hides from the ball...

https://youtube.com/shorts/WWdiQ4DVIZU?si=ztOJBrjPwYdBIS8l

saivet

What do you lot think of McTominay as a 4th choice CB option (in front of Maguire)?
Maguire isn't that bad to be behind McT in the CB pecking order. Maguire would be a good PL CB at most or half of the PL clubs, McTominay would not.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Yes, absolutely.

McTominay is getting paid peanuts. He's currenly the lowest paid first team squad member (other than Garnacho who's obviously still a teenager). In fact, he's even on lower wages than Brandon Williams up until we sold him. Any replacement we buy will want more money.

He's also the youngest of our #6s with both Casemiro and Eriksen having the legs of 50 year olds.

He gives us the physicality and height that's so sorely missing from the rest of the team.

And he has the leadership qualities that are such a big gap in the side, with Rangnick even predicting him to be a future captain.

The thing McTominay lacks (and it's a big lacking) is creativity with his passing. But in a team with Mount and Bruno, that's not quite as important. Hell, even Casemiro has been passing it less creatively since around April/March when we initially switched to 433.

I think selling Scott would be a massive mistake. He's an ideal squad member. People just want to disassociate from him because they link him to the days when he was first choice. But of all the players we have to sit on the bench, he's probably got the smallest ego and the biggest overlap with what the first XI are missing.
Unfortunately he has some more shortcomings like bad positioning, no sense for where his team mates or into which spaces they will run into, he often is afraid to pass forward etc
I somehow like what he stands for but he just is not a very good footballer

90 + 5min

Like who? Is there only a couple who are better than McTominay, or are there quite a few and Rice and Caicedo just don't make that group?
If we take out big or semi-big clubs from this we can for a start by taking James Ward Prowse. It is hard to find better players than McTominay as central midfielder that are playing in lower midtable teams or relegation teams. There is a difference in quality which is normal. Tyler Adams from Bournemouth is someone I'm looking forward to see how he develops this year.

Have you got short term memory loss?
Liverpool had a £115mil bid in for Caicedo. City had a £90mil bid in for Rice.

So McTominay is so good that he goes unnoticed?

He goes unnoticed because he hides from the ball...

https://youtube.com/shorts/WWdiQ4DVIZU?si=ztOJBrjPwYdBIS8l
If you believe so. As I said before, sometimes you need to have bigger insight in clubs and not go for media reports.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Yeah no way would I rather have rice or caicedo in the team over mctominay :lol:
Yeah, same.

Hope this Gravenberch transfer to Liverpool doesn't come to fruition. If they need to sign McTominay as a replacement at Bayern it could be disastrous for this club

roseguy64

McTominay is way better than Caicedo on progressive carries though, according to these stats. Meaning he is better at carrying the ball? Quite odd
Makes me think you've never watched Scott play if you're wondering if he's good at carrying the ball.

roseguy64

You really need to get more insight in football teams and not read in media. And I will tell you again that teams did bid for Maguire. I will not change your mind with that and that is ok with me.

For me there is nothing to suggest that Rice and Caicedo are better player than McTominay. Stats show that. What we see on pitch shows that. The only thing they have is age and nationality which somehow pushes their value up on insane level. Age for Caicedo and nationality for Rice. This is almost like giving £50m for Philips which ManCity did. Nothing else.
I'd say Rice is a better player but it's not by that much. Caicedo has the potential to be better than him.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Seems like he is staying. We are bloody idiots to reject 30m offer for him. He wasnt even that good when he made the step up. We hold to average players for so long and end up getting nothing for them. Look at City how they move on decent players and replace them with good youngsters.

aeh1991

I'd say Rice is a better player but it's not by that much. Caicedo has the potential to be better than him.
McTominay is one of the worst players I've ever seen in the red dress. He's not even as half as good as those two.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Jesus, someone explain to me what McTominay is good at? Decent in the air, that's it. He's a horribly mediocre player.
I always feel a odd sense of relief when he's subbed on to ,likely, 'close a game out' and yet I don't know why.

Same feeling happened again against Nottingham Forest and the first thing he did was give away a silly foul with a high foot towards a Nottingham Forest's players chest and continued to lose control of the ball rather consistently from there.

So, I've convinced myself he's a good player but the reality is he really isn't.

Hopefully he's brought on to close the game out against Arsenal when we're leading..

Status
Not open for further replies.