Scott McTominay | Transfer discussion not performance discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

OverratedOpinion

He isn't a terrible player and has some really unique attributes, very good ball carrier and has a goal in him. There are just so many better options out there and it just comes down to whether we would have time to get someone in.

I think he could be a bit of a talisman for a bottom half team at number 10 weirdly. Don't know why Newcastle would want him with their trajectory but that's their problem.

Edwards6

I can't really see this one happening this window. We'd need to immediately spend the fee on an upgrade. Is there anyone available now?
Teilemens but depends if he'd be happy to come and be a squad player as he wouldn't start over Casemiro and Eriksen

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If we can sell him and sign Neves in January, great business and deserve massive applause.

Drawfull

Games coming thick and fast and it's not like we're flush with options in his postion. Also will cost just as much to replace if not more and he'll 100% need replacing this window because we can all take the piss out of him "ghosting" in games but a few injuries and we'll be forced to actually play Casper (DVB)

Unless Newcastle are dumb enough to offer us stupid money, then doesn't seem smart to me. We should ask for what they supposedly quoted us for Longstaff.
VdB is out for the rest of the season, knee.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Wouldn’t sell him, would cost us more to replace and we’re already short of options with investment needed in other areas. I also don’t think he’s as bad as the rest of the caf do!
It would cost to replace him but to control games you need players capable of it. No point in saving money and constantly being top 4 challengers. He shouldn't go for peanuts either. He's been a relevant part of a team that has finished in the CL a few times.

Levi1

£30m + 5-10m in add-ons, yes please.

He's too big of a downgrade from Casemiro to be a viable back up for him anyway, so we can use that money to get a legit back up. Maybe tempt Leicester into letting Tielemans go 6 months early
McTominay is probably better than Tielemans right now and certainly would be if he went to a smaller club with less pressure. He's a young player and is improving every season. Would be insane to sell him

Asleepdemand

McTominay is probably better than Tielemans right now and certainly would be if he went to a smaller club with less pressure. He's a young player and is improving every season. Would be insane to sell him
Young? How can you define a 27 years old player is a young player? He is 1996 not 2006 lad. And improve? Can you tell me what did he improve last 3 years?

stoinz

For the price for a longer staff sure. Just not in Jan. But summer, why not.

CloneMC16

I would not sell to Newcastle. They're a direct rival. Selling them our players (even if we believe they're not that great) would be a bad idea. We also can't afford to sell him if we don't bring in a replacement. He's not a #6, but he's the only backup we have there. If Casemiro goes down, we will have to play him.

I think he should stay for now and let him leave in the summer.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I would not sell to Newcastle. They're a direct rival. Selling them our players (even if we believe they're not that great) would be a bad idea. We also can't afford to sell him if we don't bring in a replacement. He's not a #6, but he's the only backup we have there. If Casemiro goes down, we will have to play him.

Selling them shit players is essentially weakening them. They won't be buying a better player if they buy from us.

Red Stone

... he's 26. He's entering his prime years now. He's probably not going to improve much from here on, but Newcastle will likely also be getting the best he has to offer as a player.

Trex

I wouldn't sell Mctominay he isn't absolute top quality he'll be more expensive to replace. Enzo can play as a 6/8 though if we land him then I'll be more open to letting go of Scott. I'll be okay with this cm options going into next season.
Casemiro
Enzo
Fred
Eriksen

Xeque_279

Scotty is supposed to be Casemeiro's backup but that isn't even his best position! So much better given a free role to drift into the box, he's had some blinders for us but has never been consistence, don't think he ever will. Will be a brilliant signing for Newcastle and would suit their game.

If we do end up selling him (nothing less than 35-40m) we would need an immediate back up in a similar mold to Case, not really sure who that could be but it's definitely not Tielemans/Neves.

Strelok

I kinda like McT but if the price is reasonable we should sell imo. We can't offer him a regular place and he's not good enough to be anyway so probably best thing for everyone I think.

Then we can sign a younger proper DM to back up and eventually replace Case.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I think with VdB out of the season, you would be mad to let him go in Jan. Maybe in the summer when you can line up a non emergency replacement would make more sense.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Wouldn’t sell him, would cost us more to replace and we’re already short of options with investment needed in other areas. I also don’t think he’s as bad as the rest of the caf do!
Same

jeepers

Not this window. Keep him for the rest of the season then evaluate him and the kids after. I would rather us not spend money on a backup, since we still have other priority positions in need of improving (CF and GK) and already limited funds (until new owners are in).

Next season, bring in Mejbri for McT.

Gurtej

The problem is our depth…..we can’t rely the full season on casemiro and Fred to do the defensive work…..

Ideally we sell him for 30-40m and get Caseido on loan this window with obligation to buy in summer for 70m…. Lol…..

but this is how Barca and most Italian clubs operate

skc_18

Mct next to a decent defensive midfielder who can pick a pass will be great to any team.

He is been mostly a scape goat here but he is a very good player IMO.

dabronxolivera

Supports
Al Hilal
Mct next to a decent defensive midfielder who can pick a pass will be great to any team.

He is been mostly a scape goat here but he is a very good player IMO.
Casemiro ? I mean compared to our midfield option he is the worst in my opinion. There is a reason he fell out of the favor now. I am not saying he is trash, but he isnt good enough for club with title aspiration. Maybe as a fourth option on the bench, but if Newcastle offer decent money its better to flog him and buy another bench option from other leagues (Eredivisie for example). Also its not like he is 22 and still developing. He wont get much better and that isnt his fault. It's just his skill cap as a footballer

SAF is the GOAT

I'll sell him in the summer, not now.

We can sell him and maybe bring in Rice instead.

That will be a brilliant business

Sell him in the summer yes, but Rice is to expensive really.
If Westham will go down, it will be much easier and cheaper for us to get him

Last edited:

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Caceido is the man we should be after and if funding that by moving on McT and Elanga allows us to do it, then we should. He's a United fan too - who could be more perfect?

Newtonius

Nah can't lose him right now definitely like him a lot more as a player when he isnt starting every game, not really meant as a diss or anything hes just not good enough to be a starter and there is still ptsd from McFred.

Gurtej

Casemiro ? I mean compared to our midfield option he is the worst in my opinion. There is a reason he fell out of the favor now. I am not saying he is trash, but he isnt good enough for club with title aspiration. Maybe as a fourth option on the bench, but if Newcastle offer decent money its better to flog him and buy another bench option from other leagues (Eredivisie for example). Also its not like he is 22 and still developing. He wont get much better and that isnt his fault. It's just his skill cap as a footballer
i am sorry but he is trash in a sense that we need to raise standards to even have backs up to an acceptable levels and he isn’t…

if we get 30-35m,let him go in summer….

let him go this window if we can get a short term loan option with a point to prove (why not)….and look for a proper midfielder in summer and bring couple of young players through academy in …

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I think he'd do pretty well at Newcastle. I reckon he's a better player than many here make out. Our new signings have made others look better players than before (Fred, Dalot and Shaw come to mind) so I'd quite like to see how Scotty faired alongside Casemiro and Eriksen, but not sure that he'll get that chance

It would be a mistake to sell him in January without a replacement lined up. ETH will never tolerate a midfielder who hides from the ball but we don't have much depth in his position and a crazy schedule to the end of the season.

He'd do well at Newcastle. They're not expected to dominate the game so a combative midfielder who likes to break things up will be perfect. At least until the money starts to flow and then they are expected to dominate...

Sparky Rhiwabon

But if we don’t sell them McTominay, who we know is not that that good, they will just buy someone else, who will likely be better. It’s not as if they’re going to say “oh no, we can’t buy McSauce, we’ll have to make do with what we’ve got”.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I’ve always liked McTominay. That said, if he isn’t really in Ten Hags plans then it makes sense to sell if a decent offer comes in. I can see him doing well at Newcastle.

One of my concerns is parting with our homegrown players though - we are not currently
blessed with that many HGs in our squad, which can be a problem with the PL squad registration rules.

ali8karimi

We're already short on bench options, sell him in the summer and not to a potential rival. Hannibal's return by then.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Caceido is the man we should be after and if funding that by moving on McT and Elanga allows us to do it, then we should. He's a United fan too - who could be more perfect?
This

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
:houllier: He's got over 3 years left on his contract. It would cost us a lot more than 15-20m to replace him. No reason to sell.
If you don’t play him he will want to leave and I doubt someone is going to pay 30m for him. You sold Garner for 9m rising to 15m and he was just coming off a season in the Championship where he was one of the best players. McTominay, despite being an International has played only 7 90 minute games for you this season. Unless there are injuries I'd be surprised if that reached more than 10-15.

Last edited:

Strelok

I’ve always liked McTominay. That said, if he isn’t really in Ten Hags plans then it makes sense to sell if a decent offer comes in. I can see him doing well at Newcastle.

One of my concerns is parting with our homegrown players though - we are not currently
blessed with that many HGs in our squad, which can be a problem with the PL squad registration rules.
Imo it's unfair and also very difficult to keep a squad player who barely get to play if he really wants to leave. He might be a pro, keep his head down and moves on but he can be also a dick and cause issues in the dressing room.

Status
Not open for further replies.