g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Scott McTominay | Transfer discussion not performance discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
We have Eriksen as backup 8. We likely are going to sign Amrabat. In that case we would have Cas, Amrabat, Mount, Eriksen and Bruno with Mainoo and Hannibal (and possibly Sancho as Bruno backup) for the three midfield positions. We do not need another body there.

He still has value, and he can be easily upgraded by Amrabat for that fifth choice midfielder position. It is a no brainer.
Agreed. Ship him out asap, another one never good enough for us and can be upgraded quite comfortably. What a fantastic summer if we manage to sell all of Fred, Mctominay and Maguire, 3 players who sum up our years of mediocrity..

Borys

Statistics Wizard
We have Eriksen as backup 8. We likely are going to sign Amrabat. In that case we would have Cas, Amrabat, Mount, Eriksen and Bruno with Mainoo and Hannibal (and possibly Sancho as Bruno backup) for the three midfield positions. We do not need another body there.

He still has value, and he can be easily upgraded by Amrabat for that fifth choice midfielder position. It is a no brainer.
McTominay value is mostly as a body winning headers, throwing himself to block/tackle etc. This might be a bit harsh but his physical attributes are his main value for us. Pretty sure this is the only reason we're holding for more money for him. And losing him might force us to replace him with player of similar attributes. Not sure if Amrabat is that player (I just don't know what he is).

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
So much drama. McTom is valued by the club and manager, if nobody meets that valuation he stays.

The transfer muppets have 3 shiny new toys to play with already this summer...and the no.1 hated player leaving.

Just be happy.
Right, and if nobody pays 30m for Henderson, he stays too because ‘the club want to keep him’. Scott McTominay is not our Moises Caicedo - he is an available player and would not be a hostile sale to West Ham. They made a reasonable offer, no other suitors have come forward, and the player is for sale while we have our own targets to bring in. It doesn’t serve us to scare every buyer off. This isn’t Rashford we’re talking about where we’d just say ‘200m’ because he isn’t really for sale.

Highfather_24

Is West Ham's midfield Soucek-Alvarez-JWP? Does that mean they are out of the McTominay race? :nervous:

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Newcastle will be back in for McTominay is my guess. If West Ham were the only suitor for him I think we may have accepted what they offered but we know that there must be more interest out there for him.

He would be a fantastic rotation option with Joelinton and would offer a lot of the same things. Perhaps even slightly better and if Newcastle want to be back in the CL next season they are going to need more than what they currently have.

Might sound daft, but I actually think a McFred combination would be great for them. A little surprised they aren't looking at Fred, tbh. He could be a fantastic player for them and the fans would love him.
Moyes wouldn't have the feintest idea what to do with a player like Fred.

I hope theyre still in for McTominay because he would suit them. Doesnt want to be on the ball much, likes to get stuck in to tackles, not great at passing but can carry the ball forward well on the counter.

Revan

Assumptionman
Is West Ham's midfield Soucek-Alvarez-JWP? Does that mean they are out of the McTominay race? :nervous:
McTominay is better than the first two IMO. They will need another quality midfielder although it they think the first three are good to start, they won’t spend north of 30m for a backup.

Roboc7

Newcastle will be back in for McTominay is my guess. If West Ham were the only suitor for him I think we may have accepted what they offered but we know that there must be more interest out there for him.

He would be a fantastic rotation option with Joelinton and would offer a lot of the same things. Perhaps even slightly better and if Newcastle want to be back in the CL next season they are going to need more than what they currently have.
Would Mctominay want to swap siting on the bench for us to do the same at Newcastle?.

I find it hard to believe Newcastle will make a bid for him, they’ve been linked with so many midfielders and I’m sure they have much better options.

mikeyt

No-one is paying £45million for McTom. He'll stay here which is massively frustrating when better options are out there and it stops us moving forward in that area. He'll literally warm the bench all season and be sold for £20million if we're lucky next summer.

The biggest concern for me is that Fred is only likely to get us £10million at best and I don't see DVB moving permanently, more a loan with option to buy. That means a deal for Amrabat may be too much.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

Newcastle are stretched with FFP and Everton don't have the means. I think he's staying.

I know people are saying we should stick to our value of 40m+ but that's a form of loss aversion bias, if no one is willing to match it.
He will barely play this season and by next year would be a 27-year-old player who has spent two seasons on the bench. How much are we going to ask for then?
I hope a team comes in for him but I can't see it.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We will ‘stick to our guns’ and then sell him (or more likely loan him) to Roma late in the window for half of what West Ham offered us.

flappyjay

I dont think we are moving for Amrabat, if we dont sell McT.

Cant believe why no other club is in for Dean Henderson. Should have sold him when we had the chance.
The goalkeeper market is a buyers market currently. There are so many decent ones out there. A team only needs 1 good goalkeeper anyway. His salary doesn't help and the fact that he has come back from injury. We should have made last seasons loan an obligation to buy, he got injured at forest now we are stuck with him.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Would Mctominay want to swap siting on the bench for us to do the same at Newcastle?.

I find it hard to believe Newcastle will make a bid for him, they’ve been linked with so many midfielders and I’m sure they have much better options.
I think it is a different situation over there, there is a straight swap option with him and Joelinton and he can be useful in other positions in the midfield for them. He is the defacto first sub if Howe rates him as much as it is intimated. He likely gets a sizeable increase on his salary also.

If he stays here he is maybe the 3rd bench option behind Amrabat and Mainoo, possibly even Mejbri if the recent reports of ten Hag being impressed and wanting him to stay are true. It's the difference between 10-15 and 30-35 appearances + more money. Scott seems smart enough to know which of those to pick.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
We will ‘stick to our guns’ and then sell him (or more likely loan him) to Roma late in the window for half of what West Ham offered us.
More frighteningly I think we'll keep hold of him.

lysglimt

Scout
He really, really isn't.

He puts the back four under immense pressure because he constantly hides and never shows for the ball meaning riskier play outs needed.
There have been so many matches where we have had 8-9 players in defense at the end of games - and McT time and time again won important headers to bail us out. And yes - he also messed up a few times like Chelsea away. But your argumentation is a bit flawed - because you seem to assume that all teams play out from the back. I agree - McT isn't ideal in a team that does exactly that - but West Ham rarely do. McTominay used in a Soucek-role for West Ham would be good for them.

Red_Orchestra

Looks like west ham went for ward prowes of southampton instead, McTominay won't be needed anymore.

Devil You Know

I don't think we actively want to sell McTominay.

We'll keep a lookout for an "offer we can't refuse" but won't lose sleep if we don't get one.

If McTominay was really likely to go to West Ham, he'd have been bundled as part of the Maguire deal.

Glorio

He really, really isn't.

He puts the back four under immense pressure because he constantly hides and never shows for the ball meaning riskier play outs needed.
And I don't even think he's a good tackler. When he's forced to, we normally concede a foul.

Highfather_24

Casemiro, McTominay, Eriksen, Mount, Bruno, Mejbri, Mainoo.

That's 7 midfielders for 3 positions, we will not move for another midfielder if we dont sell McTominay.

Siorac

It’s just a bit silly to think this, if you genuinely do. It’s just obviously not true. Is he top level? Nah.
Yes, obviously it's somewhat hyperbolic. He's a professional footballer in the Premier League so he's in the top, what, 1% worldwide. In that sense, he's not terrible. But in the context of the very highest level, he absolutely is. His technique, game intelligence, awareness are far below the required standard and his passing, which should be extremely important for a central midfielder, is poor.

He just doesn't offer anything that's worth 40m. He's exactly the sort of player that you can find a job for if he's already in the squad but paying huge money to get, what? Running and effort? If you pay such significant money for a footballer, he should have at least one outstanding attribute, like Ward-Prowse's set pieces or Fellaini's famous chest control. McTominay has nothing like that - he isn't outstanding even at his supposed strengths. I cannot believe that West Ham or any other Premier League club can't pluck someone like him out of their academy. Or pick up on the cheap from elsewhere. There are plenty of average footballers that don't cost 40m.

RuudTom83

That's 7 midfielders for 3 positions, we will not move for another midfielder if we dont sell McTominay.
So 5 midfielders for 3 position...you can't realistically count Hannibal and Mainoo (they are babies in the professional game)

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I don't think we actively want to sell McTominay.

We'll keep a lookout for an "offer we can't refuse" but won't lose sleep if we don't get one.

If McTominay was really likely to go to West Ham, he'd have been bundled as part of the Maguire deal.
I rather give his slot in the squad toHannibal.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Id back Scott at the right setup to score around 10 goals a season.

saivet

Hope we still get McT sold. Amrabat will be a welcome addition but my understanding is that he'll be more a Fred replacement to start with Casemiro in tougher games rather than covering for Casemiro when suspended or injured. McT being the Casemiro back up was a massive issue last season in my opinion, so think getting a replacement for McT is quite important.

Fred, DVB and McT out for Amrabat, Mainoo and a back up DM would be a great upgrade of our depth in midfield.

Superunknown

So 5 midfielders for 3 position...you can't realistically count Hannibal and Mainoo (they are babies in the professional game)
Casemiro and Bruno will start every week when fit and available (or not suspended).
Eriksen and Mount will be rotated in their position depending on who is in the better form at that moment in time.

I personally don't see Mejbri or Mainoo breaking into the team this year. Fans always get carried away in preseason with younger prospects. When push comes to shove in the league, I think we'll more than likely play it safe and bring somebody else in. They may get a small number of minutes here and there, but that'll be extremely limited.

This then leaves the question marks around players like Fred and McTominay. VDB is already gone, in my eyes. It's a case of whether we can upgrade on Fred and McTominay and get in players who are better than them and who can be trusted to come into the side and either offer us something different, or provide cover for when one of the 'main four' isn't available.

This all implies that everyone will be fit, which they won't be. If Casemiro picks up an injury that rules him out for x amount of time, we need cover for that position.

Status
Not open for further replies.