Scott Parker | Sacked

footballbite

but it’s slowly strangling the game lower down the leagues
How is this the case?!

As it is, with parachute payments only 56% of the promoted teams survive in the PL, and about 30% of the relegated teams bounce back in their first season.

Without parachute payments, the PL will actually become even more of a closed shop as it is, and would be much more of a closed shop than even the 4 CL spots are. At the moment typically 1.68 promoted teams, so either 1 or 2 (56% of the 3) stay up. That sounds a fair figure to me. However, without parachute payments the promoted clubs will be much less likely to invest on promotion to the PL and that figure will drop significantly - you'd probably only ever get 1 new sugar daddy promoted club staying up each season, rather than a good chance of there being 2 staying up.

That would be pretty rubbish for the PL really, as you'll keep getting a higher percentage of promoted clubs like Bournemouth this season, or Norwich last season, who don't invest anything at all on promotion because they couldn't afford the ramifications if they got relegated again, and so end up as season-long whipping boys. They'll also know that as well as the lack of parachute payments on relegation, that it will also mean they'll find it harder to get promoted again once they do get relegated, thus furthering the risk of them investing on their PL promotion.

I think the average parachute figure is £33m per year for each club. That would have been our entire transfer budget for 3 years in the Champ and we were one of the better of clubs.
The parachute payment money is paid for by the PL though - it's just one part of the financial benefits earned by reaching the PL - and as I've mentioned before and which you agree with, it's money which has indeed been earned.

Last edited:

Abraxas

I don't think it's anything to do with losing 9-0.
It's coming out all guns blazing against your owner. Many owners are going to take a dim view of that.

If you believe as an owner that you have set the agenda for the club based on affordability and sustainability, agreed it clearly with your manager and then you have a manager running his mouth to the press about how hard done by he is and talking negatively that relegation is virtually assured, his position becomes untenable. The owner has lost all faith in Parker.

Now, it could be that there are some crossed wires or lack of communication about what the strategy was. That's a possibility and then you could understand the manager's frustration. But it's still nonsensical to come out like he did when you're Scott Parker, you're not Antonio Conte. You're just putting yourself in a position to be sacked and what good are you on the sidelines?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Seems a bit harsh based on who they lost to but I imagine the board are more aware of their club than I am... :lol:
Bet he thinks the same… especially since southamptons manager kept his job after 2 9-0 defeats.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Bet he thinks the same… especially since southamptons manager kept his job after 2 9-0 defeats.
It’s not even about the result. Parker continuously criticized his boss. It would just a regular sacking if it was a ‘normal’ job. They will go down regardless of who the manager is, the owner wants to have someone at the club that can accept how they are run.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The Battle of Britain extra has gone down in flames, what a shame. Terrible manager. Curiously Dundee also sacked their manager after losing 9-0. One has to ask how on earth Hassenhutl is still in a job!
They lost 7-0 a couple of weeks ago too though.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Harsh on Parker but there's been trouble brewing behind the scenes for a while.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
That's more on the board though, right? I doubt any manager is turning down transfer funds.

Not a big fan of this as i think virtually any manager won't stop them getting relegated. It may make some sense to bring in an experienced relegation dog-fight manager in the mould of Pulis, Allardyce, maybe Dyche, but it's a bit of a one step forward one step back long term, and even they need something to work with to avoid relegation.

They also sacked a manager a couple seasons ago who is better than anyone they could hope to hire now, so feck em. Also I lived there for a couple years and it was the worst couple years of my life, so feck em twice.
Yep - on the board but didn’t Parker have a conversation with the board along the lines of “what’s my budget” and “here’s a list of players I want”? We had two sets of plans depending on what division we would be in and lists of players to bring in for each position, all agreed with the manager, CEO and owner 3 months before the season ended.
Bournemouth fans are a chippy bunch anyway - Feck em thrice.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
It's coming out all guns blazing against your owner. Many owners are going to take a dim view of that.

If you believe as an owner that you have set the agenda for the club based on affordability and sustainability, agreed it clearly with your manager and then you have a manager running his mouth to the press about how hard done by he is and talking negatively that relegation is virtually assured, his position becomes untenable. The owner has lost all faith in Parker.

Now, it could be that there are some crossed wires or lack of communication about what the strategy was. That's a possibility and then you could understand the manager's frustration. But it's still nonsensical to come out like he did when you're Scott Parker, you're not Antonio Conte. You're just putting yourself in a position to be sacked and what good are you on the sidelines?
Forrest, promoted the same time, brought in quite a few players. It would have irked Parker. Lacked the ambition shown by the Forrest owner.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
What is the point in getting to the Prem, if you are not trying to stay up?
You can make a profitable business model with just going up and then spend little as you can while maintaining roughly the same squad so in case you go down, you have enough squad to go up again next season.
Meanwhile you got a ton of money from EPL tv rights for one season. In terms of sports result is not a good thing, but financially is a very lucrative business.

justsomebloke

wording of the press release heavily indicates this is indeed the reason.

Abraxas

Forrest, promoted the same time, brought in quite a few players. It would have irked Parker. Lacked the ambition shown by the Forrest owner.
Yeah but he can be annoyed, but there is a way to internalise your frustration and then direct it constructively. Who's he helped by doing that? Not Bournemouth and certainly not himself.

It's not really the managers job to set what the agenda should be in terms of finances and all clubs have different means so what Forest do isn't necessarily what Bournemouth can do. So he can have an opinion but what can you really expect if you go off on your employer in public.

SambaBoy

Didn't he fall out with the Fulham board as well?

Seems to criticise the boards at the clubs he's working for a lot which is always going to end badly especially when you're not an exceptional manager.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I think he wasn’t subtle enough with his opinions in interviews. It was less “we desperately need reinforcements in certain areas” and more “we are absolutely shite”

There wasn’t really any diplomacy and he probably tanked his squads morale before that Liverpool game.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
With a squad like that in the Premier League pretty much your only weapons are spirit and togetherness. It's not much but it's all you have to work with. With that, you stand a slim chance of staying up... but if even your manager is publicly saying the squad aren't up to it, what good is it keeping him around? We can only guess what the mood in the dressing room is like but I can't imagine it's great.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Who takes this job now? Keeping them in the league is a pretty tall ask of anyone.
Pulis is based five minutes away.

I actually think profile of squad is something he could work with....Billing is massive in midfield and Lerma and Ben Pearson like to mix it aswell and Kieffer Moore is a Pulis wet dream upfront so if they sign someone who can chuck throw in into the box then it wouldn't shock me if he got it until the end of the season.

footballbite

What is the point in getting to the Prem, if you are not trying to stay up?
In line with my earlier posts - why do people pose such a question, but don't bemoan mid-table clubs with something like "what is the point in being in the Prem if you are not trying to qualify for Europe?"?!

There are some clubs for whom their current resources mean that is the ceiling of what they can really spend towards, aim for and achieve - and spending any more than that would pose too high a risk of bankrupting themselves.

Bournemouth aren't splashing the cash like a mid-table PL club, for similar reasons as to why a Palace or Brighton aren't splashing the cash like a Man Utd or Man City.

gaffs

In line with my earlier posts - why do people pose such a question, but don't bemoan mid-table clubs with something like "what is the point in being in the Prem if you are not trying to qualify for Europe?"?!

There are some clubs for whom their current resources mean that is the ceiling of what they can really spend towards, aim for and achieve - and spending any more than that would pose too high a risk of bankrupting themselves.

Bournemouth aren't splashing the cash like a mid-table PL club, for similar reasons as to why a Palace or Brighton aren't splashing the cash like a Man Utd or Man City.
I understand it, but it is a massive turn off for their fans to know that their club are not even trying to stay up. Spend at least 60mil of the 150+ mil they will receive from being promoted, to give them a fighting chance.

Supports
AFC Bournemouth
I forgot about this forum after we went down... relatively long time and all that but here I am again. Maybe I can add a little perspective to things.

Feels like I should actually create a separate AFC Bournemouth thread but this is where the discussion is so here I go.

First up, Parker wasn't sacked due to the results. Yes, the 9-0 was a shocker but if he'd moderated himself a bit in his interviews I think he'd still be in a job. He'd been throwing stones at the board all summer but I think the real killer was when he said he expected us to get worse results than the 9-0 this season and that the players he had aren't good enough.

Now, I know most on here are very dismissive of our squad. I remember people being equally dismissive of our squad last time we came up. The difference is Howe always looked to deflect blame from the players when things went badly, backed them and built their confidence. It worked. Now, how would the squad feel hearing their manager telling the world they aren't good enough, and he expects them to lose matches by more than 9-0? Add that to the continued sniping at the board about spending and enough was enough.

I've no doubt Parker knew what the club's plans where when he joined and what the budget was when we got promoted. However, he probably thought he could pressure the board in spending more by continually moaning about it. Looks like that tactic failed.

If reports are true, it sounds like he checked out this season. Some of the players have been rumoured as saying he was totally different with them this season than last. Maybe he thought he couldn't make a difference and didn't want another relegation on his cv so carried on criticising the players and the club until the board had no choice and he gets out looking the victim rather than the cause.

The timing was rubbish for us, but better the board is decisive than let Parker do even more damage. We actually came out of it pretty well last week in the end.

As for the spending and the squad, you have to make up your minds whether you want owners spending their wealth or clubs spending the money they earn. This time around the club is trying to build up things off the pitch, having spend the owners money last time. Now, Bournemouth is a complicated place in which to build and if we ever want to get a bigger stadium (and the bigger revenues that bring which could then be invested in the squad) we have to play musical chairs with the stadium land.

There are no large areas of unused land / ex-industrial brownfield sites in the area so after hunting around and failing to find a site for a couple of years, the conclusion was reached to build a new stadium in Kings Park, the park where the current stadium is (only tentative announcements on this so far to keep the local residents from starting protesting to the council already. Fight that battle when it's time). In order to do that, we will have to do a land swap with the council as the new stadium will be in another part of the park. However, the first team training facilities are currently on part of that land we need to swap so we need to complete the new training complex first. We bought a golf course and got permission to redevelop that into the training complex before we went down but it was put on hold after relegation. Phase 1, which is the academy, has now restarted on that build since promotion was confirmed.

Someone above mention £150m+ this year from tv money but it won't be anything like that for us. It'll be about £100m for those teams near the bottom that also aren't attractive to show live (we'll be shown the minimum number of times the contracts allow and that affects the money you get, plus we'll also get less prize money for finishing near the bottom).

Allow for wages, promotion bonuses, £25 million in transfer fees and the investment in the training complex and the money is pretty much gone.

You might not like us apparently embracing the yo-yo approach but for a club like us to grow we have to invest off the field which will hit the budget. Hopefully we make a good fist of the season. If we go down I'm not too bothered since the Championship is much more interesting as a league, but the I'd be hoping we come back up again so we can move onto the next phase of the development.

The club keeps its cards very close to its chest so I've no idea how long the process to completing the training complex, getting permission for the stadium (it'll be a big battle) and building it would take but it's a good thing for a club like us to have a long term plan to try and improve. Plus, if we do eventually get to a new stadium, it'd mean more away tickets.

It's easy to judge the club saying the squad is Championship quality and we haven't even tried, but I think it's positive the club is trying to change things off the field. Meanwhile, sometimes a tight knit group of lower quality players can outperform better players with bigger salary packets and egos but not the same team spirit. A team spirit we definitely wouldn't have had if Parker had stayed in the job.

So there's a good chance we'll get relegated but I wouldn't bank on it completely. If we stay up, expect us to spend only similar amounts next summer as the building work moves on to phase 2.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
What happened to their previous manager?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
What happened to their previous manager?
Sacked for underperforming in the league (despite doing well in the CL).

More importantly, why the German spelling 'Brügge', @Samid? If you want to go with the German club name, apparently FC Brügge is more common.
United are playing Bournemouth next, but guess the poster forgot that Bournemouth sacked Parker in August.