Scott Parker | Sacked

Oranges038

They are just using the 9-0 as an excuse to sack him for him wearing that awful sleeve stripe jacket thing.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
He wasn’t massively popular last season amongst their fans - promotion papered over the cracks but then they spent big getting back up with their parachute payments last year. The decision not to spend this window backfired massively at the weekend. He won’t be missed.

crossy1686

career ending
I’m no fan of his, and agree with you, but I think it’s pretty clear this is an off field decision. Although I imagine a 9-0 defeat made it a somewhat easier decision!
There was probably already a frosty relationship there and he was stupid to question the board publicly as if he has any weight as a manager who’s won nothing. I can understand Mourinho saying it, but Parker hasn’t even been there long enough to be considered indispensable.

On top of that, there’s no coming back from getting battered 9-0, your jobs done sooner or later.

The White Pele

If you can put to one side the scorelines then on results alone this dismissal seems harsh.

They won their opening game and have since played and lost to City, Liverpool and Arsenal in their last 3 which you may well expect them to. They have a home game against Wolves tomorrow which you would think is a good chance for them to shoot back up the league with a win.

Yes the manner of the last defeat is embarrassing and Parker would have had to rethink how he approaches those games but if they were to win tomorrow and demonstrate that they can pick up wins in this league outside of the top teams then why the panic?

It will be interesting to see what they do in the market over the next 48 hours.

phelans shorts

If you can put to one side the scorelines then on results alone this dismissal seems harsh.

They won their opening game and have since played and lost to City, Liverpool and Arsenal in their last 3 which you may well expect them to. They have a home game against Wolves tomorrow which you would think is a good chance for them to shoot back up the league with a win.

Yes the manner of the last defeat is embarrassing and Parker would have had to rethink how he approaches those games but if they were to win tomorrow and demonstrate that they can pick up wins in this league outside of the top teams then why the panic?

It will be interesting to see what they do in the market over the next 48 hours.
The thing is it seems to be this isn’t based on results. More he’s said to the board “I need X or I’m out” and instead of giving him X they pushed him out the door. Reckon he’ll get a decent job before Christmas.

phelans shorts

There was probably already a frosty relationship there and he was stupid to question the board publicly as if he has any weight as a manager who’s won nothing. I can understand Mourinho saying it, but Parker hasn’t even been there long enough to be considered indispensable.

On top of that, there’s no coming back from getting battered 9-0, your jobs done sooner or later.
That second paragraph is very daft to be honest. Everyone’s job is done sooner or later, losing 9-0 hasn’t hurt Hassenhuttl (TWICE)

crossy1686

career ending
That second paragraph is very daft to be honest. Everyone’s job is done sooner or later, losing 9-0 hasn’t hurt Hassenhuttl (TWICE)
He’s an exception to the rule, people keep bringing up his name like you can’t get sacked for getting mauled because there’s this guy that once had it happen twice and kept his job.

Good for him and good for Southampton, however the rest of the clubs normally feel differently about getting embarrassed and the manager having no reply to it.

phelans shorts

He’s an exception to the rule, people keep bringing up his name like you can’t get sacked for getting mauled because there’s this guy that once had it happen twice and kept his job.

Good for him and good for Southampton, however the rest of the clubs normally feel differently about getting embarrassed and the manager having no reply to it.
But saying “ahh well, everyone who loses like that goes eventually” is really daft, surely you can see that?

Everyone who wins the league goes eventually, too.

The White Pele

The thing is it seems to be this isn’t based on results. More he’s said to the board “I need X or I’m out” and instead of giving him X they pushed him out the door. Reckon he’ll get a decent job before Christmas.
Ah ok that makes more sense, although I’m surprised they’ve sacked him for that rather than waiting for him to walk.

Maybe they felt Parker had crossed a line and the relationship has become untenable.

crossy1686

career ending
But saying “ahh well, everyone who loses like that goes eventually” is really daft, surely you can see that?

Everyone who wins the league goes eventually, too.
My point is specifically regarding getting battered will lose you your job either this week or in a few weeks time, it all depends on when the board are happy to pull the plug because they’re already thinking that way once that result happens, it becomes a case of when.

If you lose 9-0, and you lose the next game 3-0 or 4-0 you’re gone. Of course I’m more than aware that managers get sacked at some point in their careers.

footballbite

The problem is the same dross keeps coming back up.

I think they should have a long-term incentive part of the parachute payments where if you don't stay up for at least 2+ years, you get less money. This would allow for clearing expensive players but also not give these teams the chance to keep yo-yoing.
I don't understand why some fans see a problem with this?

There are some clubs whose natural level is currently top 4 in the PL e.g. Man City and Liverpool, others whose level right now is typically mid-table PL e.g. Crystal Palace and Wolves.

Can't they also just accept that there are some clubs whose general standing and resources are that of a weak PL but strong Champ (i.e. yo-yo) one?

There are even clubs who seem to always be yo-yoing between Champ and League One e. g. Rotherham.

No one is plotting for any schemes to prevent Crystal Palace always somehow finishing mid-table because it's supposedly somehow boring or unfair.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Haven't there been revisions to the way parachute payments work now, so it's not the same packet that say Norwich have been getting the last few years?

Acole9

Outstanding
Parker - Alwite guvna, fackin spend some coin you muggy cant!

Board - You're fired.

JB7

I don't disagree, Parker clashed with Fulham previously too so there are possibly some personality issues there.

In terms of coming back from conceding 9 goals, I don't agree. Look through the previous managers in Premier League times to concede 9 goals and they all stuck around. Obviously you've got Hasenhuttl who is still in his job after two 9-0 defeats, Martinez kept his job for a further 4 years & won an FA Cup after conceding 9 to Spurs and George Burley stayed at Ipswich for many years after the 9-0 at Old Trafford, and brought them back up and taking them into Europe.

Blood Mage

It was coming. Whether they can actually find someone better who'll keep them up is debatable though.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I see Dyche being linked with the job but given how certain they look to be relegated, I wouldn't touch it if I was him. Parker won't be the only manager to get sacked this season and the other clubs might have at least a fighting chance.

Ole'sgunnarwin

I'd just add that George Burley had just taken over Ipswich when they lost 9-0 to United. He stayed on 7 more years.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

Mental take. Losing 9-0 to one of the best sides on the planet is embarrassing, but it’s not a sackable offence in and of itself.

Loads of managers lose heavily and don’t get fired. Getting fired after a huge defeat is the exception, not the norm. Better teams lose to average teams by 7. Their managers aren’t getting fired and the scores aren’t that different.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Seems knee jerk, but who knows what's been going on behind the scenes. Probably more to it than just results.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
I don't understand why some fans see a problem with this?

There are some clubs whose natural level is currently top 4 in the PL e.g. Man City and Liverpool, others whose level right now is typically mid-table PL e.g. Crystal Palace and Wolves.

Can't they also just accept that there are some clubs whose general standing and resources are that of a weak PL but strong Champ (i.e. yo-yo) one?

There are even clubs who seem to always be yo-yoing between Champ and League One e. g. Rotherham.

No one is plotting for any schemes to prevent Crystal Palace always somehow finishing mid-table because it's supposedly somehow boring or unfair.
Speaking as someone who’s club has never received parachute payments - they create an issues for the championship. Clubs become yo-yo clubs because the parachute payments give them a huge financial advantage over other clubs. They get relegated and hoover up the best talent available in that price range. Parachute clubs can buy £10m pound players - others - £5m is about top whack, most players are £2-3mil. If your club has a halfway competent manager you should go back up straight away.
The root cause is the Prem TV money. Parachute payments are a symptom of the huge gulf money created between the two leagues. Parachute payments are essential to stop relegated clubs going out of business from trying to stay in the top league. You can’t moan about parachute clubs and dross teams when the Prem created the problem in the first place.

Reactions: Fortitude

arthurka

Feck that, they will go down and Parker will find himself a new gig.
Weird to say the least.

footballbite

Speaking as someone who’s club has never received parachute payments - they create an issues for the championship. Clubs become yo-yo clubs because the parachute payments give them a huge financial advantage over other clubs. They get relegated and hoover up the best talent available in that price range. Parachute clubs can buy £10m pound players - others - £5m is about top whack, most players are £2-3mil. If your club has a halfway competent manager you should go back up straight away.
The root cause is the Prem TV money. Parachute payments are a symptom of the huge gulf money created between the two leagues. Parachute payments are essential to stop relegated clubs going out of business from trying to stay in the top league. You can’t moan about parachute clubs and dross teams when the Prem created the problem in the first place.
But clubs who qualify for the Champion's League receive more money than ones that don't. It's just how it works that those clubs which are relatively more successful than others earn more. Plus obviously clubs that earn more and finished higher in the football pyramid will hoover up the best talent available in their price range relative to ones below them, e.g. Man City will typically be able to buy a higher value and higher quality player each summer than Crystal Palace.

Also, Watford and Burnley haven't signed any players for north of £5mil this summer anyway, despite both making large fees from sales themselves.

Also "if your club has a halfway competent manager you should go back up straight away" - actually only about 30% of relegated PL clubs get promoted again at the first time of asking the following season. So it's still more difficult for a club to become a supposed yo-yo club than it seemingly is for some PL clubs to stay year-on-year in the European places.

Last edited:

TheReligion

Abusive
Absolutely suicidal from Bournemouth

Who is going to be interested in that job now? they don’t even have any time to spend money and the window shuts tomorrow.

One of the bizarrely timed ill thought decisions I’ve seen.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

Who is going to be interested in that job now? they don’t even have any time to spend money and the window shuts tomorrow.

Managers are always interested in Premier league jobs. I can't remember a team really struggling to find a manager.

TheReligion

Abusive
Managers are always interested in Premier league jobs. I can't remember a team really struggling to find a manager.
Oh they’ll get someone but the timing of this will rule them out of a few no question about it

They need someone PL proven like Dyche or else they are buggered

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
But clubs who qualify for the Champion's League receive more money than ones that don't. It's just how it works that those clubs which are relatively more successful than others earn more. Plus obviously clubs that earn more and finished higher in the football pyramid will hoover up the best talent available in their price range relative to ones below them, e.g. Man City will typically be able to buy a higher value and higher quality player each summer than Crystal Palace.

Also, Watford and Burnley haven't signed any players for north of £5mil this summer anyway, despite both making large fees from sales themselves.

Also "if your club has a halfway competent manager you should go back up straight away" - actually only about 30% of relegated PL clubs get promoted again at the first time of asking the following season. So it's still more difficult for a club to become a supposed yo-yo club than it seemingly is for some PL clubs to stay year-on-year in the European places.
The CL example sort of proves my point. The disparity of money earned by the top clubs compared to the bottom is too big. You can argue that they have earned it and I wouldn’t disagree with that - there’s a another gap between top 6 and lower prem. It’s great for the prestige of the Prem league and English Football but it’s slowly strangling the game lower down the leagues. I would suggest Watford and Burnley are exceptions - parachute clubs can afford to offer better wages as well. Finally, don’t forget the payments last 3 years. I think the average parachute figure is £33m per year for each club. That would have been our entire transfer budget for 3 years in the Champ and we were one of the better of clubs.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He said over and over the team needs help after the 9-0 defeat. That probably pissed off the owners

Brophs

The One and Only
Scott “Scotty” Parker will probably still get voted as Football Writers’ Manager of the Year.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

I think they’re fine with being relegated. They’re doing the Norwich route

Trequarista10

He wasn’t massively popular last season amongst their fans - promotion papered over the cracks but then they spent big getting back up with their parachute payments last year. The decision not to spend this window backfired massively at the weekend. He won’t be missed.
That's more on the board though, right? I doubt any manager is turning down transfer funds.

Not a big fan of this as i think virtually any manager won't stop them getting relegated. It may make some sense to bring in an experienced relegation dog-fight manager in the mould of Pulis, Allardyce, maybe Dyche, but it's a bit of a one step forward one step back long term, and even they need something to work with to avoid relegation.

They also sacked a manager a couple seasons ago who is better than anyone they could hope to hire now, so feck em. Also I lived there for a couple years and it was the worst couple years of my life, so feck em twice.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
The Battle of Britain extra has gone down in flames, what a shame. Terrible manager. Curiously Dundee also sacked their manager after losing 9-0. One has to ask how on earth Hassenhutl is still in a job!