Scott Parker | Sacked

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Are they actually skint, or do they just have no particular interest in being a PL club and are writing off the season for the parachute money?

AgentSmith

Seems to have been let go for his words rather than performances. Impossible job for anyone to compete in this league with the squad he has, exacerbated by the resources the other promoted sides have poured into their sides. Parker was 100% correct to demand more investment.

Shouldn't have to wait too long for another opportunity elsewhere.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Hasenhuttl survived two 9-0 drummings and Parker goes after one. Oof.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I do think though that if there are issues then it’s better to do it now and get a guy who can atleast have a chance to do something rather than wait a few more months till they are certain to get relegated

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Are they actually skint, or do they just have no particular interest in being a PL club and are writing off the season for the parachute money?
I imagine they felt that they had a very slim chance of survival even if they did invest 100m (probably true) so would rather take the hit with relegation and at the very least become a yo-yo team like Norwich. With the size of their stadium there is no way they are going to be a club that can spend handsomely each season without serious investment in all aspects of the club.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
That was fast. We have a new Norwich on our hands.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Sounds like he’s had a massive row with the club and probably said things he shouldn’t have. No going back from there.

LARulz

I can't imagine it's just results - felt like he was having digs at the board in his interview such as "If this is the group we are going with...." etc.

Castia

Absolute disgrace

Beat Villa and has gotten Liverpool, City and Arsenal games out of the way to be sacked.

fps

The "run the club sustainably" might suggest Parker wanted some signings and the club didnt want to spend the money..
Yeah this - think he’s delivered an ultimatum and it’s not worked out.

fps

That's pretty rough. They are not bottom of the league or even in the relegation zone.

Hasenhüttl is still going strong after two 9-0's with a much better squad.
I feel he kinda laughs it off when he has a big meeting with higher-ups about it - “Yes a 9-0, silly me, oops” *slaps wrist*. That cheeky smile.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Pretty clear he's been done over. Asking, pleading and then probably demanding funds to at least compete at the lower end of the table met with a 'don't let the door hit you on the way out.'

Can you imagine the roller coaster of getting a team promoted, being left in the wilderness in the subsequent transfer window and then sacked four games into the new campaign? Worse still with a fixture list that determined you would be lucky to have a point from 12.

SouthernRedDev

I didnt like his language on recruitment, its one thing calling for more players, but asking for better players will do nothing for the morale of the current squad. He got lucky last year, his reliance on the same 11 for long periods of the season almost ran those players into the ground we scrapped into auto promotion. Im quite happy for Bournemouth to be a yoyo club, unless we spend really big money we are likely to be selling star players on big wages that we buy this year next season. Im glad the owners have acted quickly, there is no point wasting time if the staff are in disagreement.

romufc

I didnt like his language on recruitment, its one thing calling for more players, but asking for better players will do nothing for the morale of the current squad. He got lucky last year, his reliance on the same 11 for long periods of the season almost ran those players into the ground we scrapped into auto promotion. Im quite happy for Bournemouth to be a yoyo club, unless we spend really big money we are likely to be selling star players on big wages that we buy this year next season. Im glad the owners have acted quickly, there is no point wasting time if the staff are in disagreement.
Isnt that more of the reason for the board to get more players in? If you are relying on 11 players in the championship, coming into the PL you will need better players and bigger squad.

Clearly, he wasn't being heard in the boardroom so he had to go public. If you look at the other promoted teams, Forrest spending, Fulham have strengthened with PL proven players.

Also, saying Fulham scrapped into auto promotion is not giving enough credit to Parker as the championship is one of the hardest divisions.

Then, the club first don't back the manager, then sack him after 4 games, 1 win against Villa and then City, Arsenal and Liverpool, I mean did they expect them to take points?

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
He won the only fixture he could plausibly have been expected to win in this opening stretch. Seems like an excuse to sack him rather than an honest reaction to the scoreline

tomaldinho1

Hasenhuttl survived two 9-0 drummings and Parker goes after one. Oof.
It’s weird people even pay attention to score lines for these teams when you think about it. They could lose 9-0 ten times a season and stay up comfortably - as long as they get enough points first season up that’s all that matters.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
The relation between Parker, board and a lot of fans was already tense. The 9-0 just made things go faster. They are clearly aiming for parachute money, though. The players they hired are not the kind of players to push the team up.

crossy1686

career ending
He won the only fixture he could plausibly have been expected to win in this opening stretch. Seems like an excuse to sack him rather than an honest reaction to the scoreline
When a team loses 9-0 the manager is gone sooner or later. Watching the game live, he had no idea how to shut up shop, no idea how to get his players on the ball more, no plan for defensive cohesion, just more of the same, as if Bournemouth were somehow going to play themselves back into the game and Liverpool's goals were all flukes against the grain.

You can bet with him in charge Bournemouth will be on the end of more high scoring results like that over the course of the season, and getting battered like that isn't good for the confidence of newly promoted players. Not to mention how important goal difference is for a team fighting relegation.

I'm surprised Bournemouth have sacked him this soon but it's better to do it now than do it in December when they're already in massive trouble.

They could do a lot worse than Dyche at this moment.

JB7

A lesson that publicly challenging the chairman rarely ends well.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Harsh. They beat Villa which out of the first four fixtures they faced you’d expect them to get something from and they did. Their next 6 fixtures are favourably decent too, games they should look to get points from.

He’s still got credit in the bank though, probably end up at a promotion chasing championship club midway through season where he will be backed more.

JB7

And not doing your job publicly
I’m no fan of his, and agree with you, but I think it’s pretty clear this is an off field decision. Although I imagine a 9-0 defeat made it a somewhat easier decision!

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Clubs like that deserve everything they get. Hope they go straight back down. Championship managers must almost dread going up, especially from the smaller clubs as their owners usually have unrealistic ambitions.

I wouldn't be surprised if Steve Cooper is gone by xmas.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Clubs like that deserve everything they get. Hope they go straight back down. Championship managers must almost dread going up, especially from the smaller clubs as their owners usually have unrealistic ambitions.

I wouldn't be surprised if Steve Cooper is gone by xmas.
The problem is the same dross keeps coming back up.

I think they should have a long-term incentive part of the parachute payments where if you don't stay up for at least 2+ years, you get less money. This would allow for clearing expensive players but also not give these teams the chance to keep yo-yoing.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Think they want that money and crawling over the line of survival, a bonus.

Seems they have no intention of paying PL prices or wages, but they could still have been shrewd in the market - playing in the PL is a huge carrot for some players and they'd gladly offer their services with the mind to use Bournemouth as a stepping stone.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The problem is the same dross keeps coming back up.

I think they should have a long-term incentive part of the parachute payments where if you don't stay up for at least 2+ years, you get less money. This would allow for clearing expensive players but also not give these teams the chance to keep yo-yoing.
Agree with this. These clubs become gods amongst men at Championship level if they complete a couple of promotion cycles.

Robbie Boy

I actually think he's a relatively decent manager for a certain level. Their squad is absolutely appalling.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
How often has it worked out favorably to sack a coach who got you promoted to the PL but then struggles? Sometimes it feels like these promoted clubs expect magic from managers with a dogshit squad.