Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Benfica will be safely through to the quarters now

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
On par with Pardew managing in Hollands second division or wherever he is now
Bulgaria wasn't it.

Club Brugge are regularly in CL and europa so I'd say this is a very good gig for him (rather than just go back to championship) and probably highest profile foreign coaching role for English manager since Neville at Valencia so interested how he does as Brugge usually have some good young players in their squad.

AlexiV

Supports
FCB
Yay trading a young and inexperienced manager for another young albeit more experienced manager, what could go wrong? It is what it is. Hope he does well, fear for a disaster.

Abraxas

He's lucky to get such a good job to be honest after self imploding.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
The Belgian press, like everyone else here, don't know what to make of this.

He did well for a while at Bournemouth, but one can't help and wonder how his sacking (and the trashing that caused it) have affected his self belief. He seemed confident enough in his first press conference. Don't see him winning the league, they're too far back already. Maybe they can cause some havoc in the UCL though. Young manager with something to prove and a young group of talented players, so they'll be up for it against Benfica.

led_scholes

Bulgaria wasn't it.

Club Brugge are regularly in CL and europa so I'd say this is a very good gig for him (rather than just go back to championship) and probably highest profile foreign coaching role for English manager since Neville at Valencia so interested how he does as Brugge usually have some good young players in their squad.
He is in Greece now. Doing okayish job till now. If i m not mistaken he resigned from his post in Bulgaria in protest against a racist incident in his club. Fair play to him.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
2 wins in 12. 7-1 on aggregate loss to Benfica. He said he doesn't know if he will still be the manager by the weekend

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
If they wanted a useless cockney prick whose only qualification for the job is "looks good in a suit" they could have just have nicked Jamie Redknapp from Sky and saved some money.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
2 wins in 12. 7-1 on aggregate loss to Benfica. He said he doesn't know if he will still be the manager by the weekend
They also lost 3-0 to Oostende last weekend, who are 16th in the league. This is well below the level Bruges have been used to in recent years. I don't know what's happening there (maybe @onemanarmy or @RobinLFC or @Orestetes have further insights); but the optics are really not good.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
The English Roberto Martinez. Watch him get the England job next.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
He's not a predestined manager, but Brugge is in a chaotic situation this season. I think they actually need someone with pragmatism and who can instill some discipline and motivation to try and save the season.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
They also lost 3-0 to Oostende last weekend, who are 16th in the league. This is well below the level Bruges have been used to in recent years. I don't know what's happening there (maybe @onemanarmy or @RobinLFC or @Orestetes have further insights); but the optics are really not good.
They still have the most talented squad in the country imo so they should be doing a lot better. Doesn't help that Parker is apparently still not sure about his best 11 and keeps benching pivotal players, so any kind of continuity is lost.

Don't really follow Belgian football so haven't watched any of their games under Parker, but all my Bruges supporting mates want him out already. Thing is, there's only 6 regular season games remaining, and then the top 4 plays a mini-tournament to decide the champion. They're holding on to 4th right now but barely, with two teams on just one point and in better form lately. It should be a total embarrassment should they miss out on top 4, but I think they're afraid to fire Parker right now while they don't have any time to find a successor and can't afford to drop any more points at the same time in the race for 4th.

In any case I think he'll be gone in the offseason. Bad match, hasn't improved anything at all compared to the previous manager, and hasn't shown any indication that he's close to figuring out what's going wrong. Just not suited for the job, probably.

EDIT: rumblings today in the media that Bruges is pursuing Schreuder again :lol:

Last edited:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He's apparently really highly rated but I've only ever seen his teams in the PL and CL and they've been really poor and naive throughout.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
If they wanted a useless cockney prick whose only qualification for the job is "looks good in a suit" they could have just have nicked Jamie Redknapp from Sky and saved some money.
Don't know anything about his management competence eh

tomaldinho1

That is really poor. Feel like he had a decent (ish) reputation from his stints at Fulham and Bmouth. I remember at Fulham they actually played some nice football but obviously it’s all about results at that end of the table.

I always hope to see more and more English managers try to manage abroad but that job is such a different dynamic to what he’s done before. CL football, high domestic expectations, can’t help but think this will set him back a bit.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
He's been sacked.

Never found his best 11 and tried way too hard to reinvent the light.

They are talking to Schreuder again, but he wants a long term contract, which Brugge is unwilling to offer. Hope they go for someone a bit more exciting (even though they are competitors of my own team) for the sake of Belgian football.

Brophs

The One and Only
Poor Scott 'Scotty' Parker. At least the Footballer Writers Association will vote him manager of the year.

spiriticon

He's awful. Maybe there's potential but he needs to do more time in the lower leagues.

AlexiV

Supports
FCB
They are talking to Schreuder again, but he wants a long term contract, which Brugge is unwilling to offer. Hope they go for someone a bit more exciting (even though they are competitors of my own team) for the sake of Belgian football.
Wouldnt mind Schreuder at this point. He knows the ropes and will instantly bring some stability to the team which is just what we need right now to finnish the season and maybe grab a conference ticket.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Poor Scott 'Scotty' Parker. At least the Footballer Writers Association will vote him manager of the year.
When bang average players like him and Jordan Henderson win those awards it really does make you wonder why any football fan should care about individual accolades.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
He shouldn’t have been such a baby at Bournemouth and ran down the players/owners until he was sacked. Even now, they are only one point off getting to safety and he would have had credit in the bank for a valiant attempt at keeping them in the league.

Revaulx

Rather like Lampard in some ways. Obviously bright bloke, starts off managerial career looking promising and playing attractive football, but makes poor decisions and seems incapable of learning from experience. English hubris/arrogance/contempt for learning?

ElDiabloRojo

He's been sacked.

Never found his best 11 and tried way too hard to reinvent the light.

Seemed a strange move for Parker.

Wonder did he bring the cardigan to Brugge.