Scottish Football 23-24

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Looked like the Celtic player kicked him. This is where VAR is a shambles. The refs need to start growing a pair and going with there on field decision.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Celtic are a team who really benefit from VAR.

cj_sparky

To be fair isn’t that how tripping works?
I'm not sure I'd call that a trip, the Rangers' player planted his foot and the Celtic defender in attempting to kick the ball kicked him instead.

Swedish_Plumber

I’d say if you’re completely unbiased, you recognise that both sides of the old firm benefit greatly over the rest.

I’ve said it before but the fact that both sides cry foul over the other benefiting is irony on a different level.

cyberman

I'm not sure I'd call that a trip, the Rangers' player planted his foot and the Celtic defender in attempting to kick the ball kicked him instead.
I think that’s a foul though. It a trip in all but name
Edit not a foul, the rangers player doesn’t even extend his leg

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
It’s all in the same movement. Watch it in real time and there’s not even a debate.

cj_sparky

I think that’s a foul though. It a trip in all but name
Edit not a foul, the rangers player doesn’t even extend his leg
Yeah that was how I saw it, the Rangers player in a normal running motion gets ahead of the Celtic player, who accidently kicks him rather than the ball.

I've no idea how there is enough of a "Clear and Obvious error" to send the official over.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The finish by Kyogo was nice though

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Rangers mess up every transition they have. At least four or five times already in the second half they’ve won the ball in a dangerous area but fecked up every counter with a poor pass, either in terms of quality or pass selection. Or both.

Ole'sgunnarwin

Anyone else feel the quality is very low in this game? So many unnecessary give aways.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Watching the Rangers/Celtic game & I'm surprised by the low quality of both teams.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Watching the Rangers/Celtic game & I'm surprised by the low quality of both teams.
Scottish Premiership football is the quality of League 1. It’s terrible.

That said, I’m in a pub in Edinburgh and all the TV’s are the old firm. There’s just oneguy chilling in the corner watching F1 laughing at the football commoners. :lol:

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Anyone else feel the quality is very low in this game? So many unnecessary give aways.
They’re both in terrible form and there’s huge pressure on both teams/manager. It’s not that surprising that the quality has been poor. The ones later in the season will be better.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
The quality on show was horrific.

That guy Dessers is absolutely shocking.

Krny

Supports
Celtic Football Club
He planted his foot intentionally where the Celtic player was kicking, and in turn stopped the celtic players kicking motion,Thats called a foul. Clear and obvious foul, The Rangers had a goal dissallowed in Europe for the same thing a few years back as morelos had done the same thing.

James Mcfadden summed the law up perfectly, not allowed to put your foot between the ball and someones kicking motion.

Last edited:

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Standard is as low as it's been for a long time all round at the moment. Celtic much weaker than they were under Ange, Beale's not working out for Rangers, but nobody else even looks remotely like threatening either of the top two. Fairly dire state of affairs.

Irish Bhoy

Supports
Celtic
Kyogo is really good isn’t he?
Huge win for us. Psychologically, monumental, given we were 3 / 4 first team starters.

We will improve significantly when we get all our squad fully fit.

Disallowed goal was 50/50. Still can't make up my mind. 2 ex refs Dermot Gallagher ( huge Celtic fan ) saying it wasn't a foul, Bobby Madden ( allegedly huge Rangers fan ) saying Var and ref got the call right - no goal. If ex refs can't agree, what chance has a normal fan.

A mate of mine from Scotland knew of at least 2 Celtic fans in the crowd. Brave doesnt even begin to describe it. Not a chance, I'd ever contemplate that.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
You've got to be taking the piss.

The same officiating crew shafted us 2 weeks ago in the cup at Kilmarnock. The guy who assisted Kilmarnock's goal deliberately elbowed Greg Taylor and only got booked for it. He then exploited the space left by Taylor who was off getting treatment to cross in for their goal. Then in stoppage time Haksabanovic is clearly tripped in the box and there's no penalty. Not to mention how questionable the VAR lines were for Kilmarnock's goal.

If anyone benefits from VAR it's probably the team who've not had a domestic penalty given against them in god knows how long. Penalties really spiked after the VAR came in last season except against one team.

Here's the first game after VAR was introduced. The most blatant handball you'll ever see in your life. Nothing given.

A Goldson special.

They had no problem giving this handball against us though. Slow it down and you'll see it doesn't even hit his hand. It hit his body below his arm. And his arm wasn't even in an unnatural position at point of contact anyway.

No handball and arm is tight against his body. By every quantifiable metric it is not a foul. For VAR to look at it and give a penalty anyway is an utter disgrace.

How about when Jota scored a wonderful goal away to Motherwell which was disallowed for offside on the field and VAR couldn't intervene because the camera was reportedly "facing the dugout" instead.

There's so many laughable VAR decisions in favour of Rangers but this is one of my favourites. Penalty to Rangers for the slightest shirt pull you will ever see, which only happens after the defender has been knocked off balance for a blatant two handed shove in the back from Morelos. Any competent/unbiased refereeing crew would immediately overturn this and give a free kick to Dundee.

I’d say if you’re completely unbiased, you recognise that both sides of the old firm benefit greatly over the rest.

I’ve said it before but the fact that both sides cry foul over the other benefiting is irony on a different level.
It's clear to anyone that isn't being disingenuous who is favoured above all else in Scottish football.

Look at this as well as the examples above. The referee literally plays advantage and they get an unopposed shot at goal on the 6 yard line and the ref then calls it back and gives a penalty because he missed. I'm so glad I support a team that enjoys such preferential treatment from the referees...

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Scandalous decision.
It really wasn't. By letter of the law it was a foul. Your own team benefited from this recently:

Unless you think that was really a penalty to St. Mirren?

Remember Morelos v Dortmund too? Don't you think it's interesting that referees continue to give these decisions? It's almost like it's the law :lol:

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic

The Old Firm clubs sure do benefit equally from referees, huh. Only one team in Scotland didn't concede a single penalty last season. And don't tell me it's because Rangers are so attacking that the opposition are barely in their box to receive penalties because statistically Celtic were more attacking and had more possession yet conceded 7.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
It really wasn't. By letter of the law it was a foul. Your own team benefited from this recently:

Unless you think that was really a penalty to St. Mirren?

Remember Morelos v Dortmund too? Don't you think it's interesting that referees continue to give these decisions? It's almost like it's the law :lol:
That incident isn’t even remotely similar given the St Mirren player gets none of the ball.

The Morelos one was debatable because it’s basically two separate incidents. He impeded the Dortmund player with one leg and then took the ball away clearly a moment after with the other leg. Again it’s quite different than Roofe’s cleaner winning of the ball.

There is no ‘letter of the law’ that says this is a foul. Your new centre-half’s reaction to the whole incident gave the game away, he didn’t instantly claim for a foul and then once the ball hit the net is furious with himself for so weakly giving it away. In real time nobody even considers the possibility of a foul.

It’s no surprise that the three here - who don’t have an agenda in Scottish football - unanimously say no foul.

https://x.com/scotlandsky/status/1698650755924893850?s=46&t=OQFkzW32yPQ9z74zapxzoQ

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
Celtic v Dundee and Motherwell vs St Mirren both huge fixtures in the context of the title race. You'd have to say Celtic are most likely to win it but don't rule out the 'Well

Krny

Supports
Celtic Football Club
Great day of football yesterday. The Celtic Motherwell ending was absolute madness.

Matt O'Riley has really stepped up this season. Outstanding so far. Scott Bain also deserves a mention for yesterday as he made 3 brilliant saves.

Think that has to be that for Michael Beale and Trebuchetball. The Rangers player gave up yesterday, second to every ball in the 2nd half after a decent start where they didn't take their chances. Dessers the main culprit, he's absolutely shocking. Once Aberdeen got their goal the heads dropped and the crowd got more agitated.

Hearts spoiling what could have been a Hat trick for me, I do a weekly bet , the four other matches that don't involve Celtic or The Rangers I take them as a draw and fire a quid on it. Usually around 120/1. Hearts were the only team that won out of the 4 matches. ;)

Last edited:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If Beale goes, who is rumoured to be next in line?

I genuinely can't believe they signed players like Dessers and Lammers :lol:

RedRocket9908

Just seen Sky's tweet about Rangers sacking Micheal Beale but strangely most of the replies to it seem to be about Man Utd and Erik Ten Hag

TenOuttaTenHag

Kevin Muscat must be a front runner for the vacant position. His name has been banded about as an Ange Postecoglue type manager with experience in the market out there.

Another guy who will see Rangers as a stepping stone to the EPL.