Scottish Football 23-24

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
Kevin Muscat must be a front runner for the vacant position. His name has been banded about as an Ange Postecoglue type manager with experience in the market out there.
Doubt he's anywhere near the same class tbh. I remember some Melbourne Victory fans had their doubts about him for instance, and his Sint Truiden failure is still a fairly recent one. And although I imagine he must have worked on his craft, and winning the Japanese league is a huge achievement in this region I'm not sure what to expect from him. Whereas with Ange we knew he'd go there and dominate the place, primarily because he's a fecking genius.

Last edited:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Third managerial change in a row that has taken place a quarter of the way into the season. Which is the worst time to attract and appoint somebody given the transfer window is shut, the budget is blown on someone else's signings, and there is no opportunity to prepare the team for the season ahead. And to compound that Beale got rid of any natural wingers which means it will be difficult for anyone to come in and play a 4-3-3. And even after deciding Beale is not the solution, it makes no sense to get rid of him for a couple of rookie ex-players 3 days out from a European game. Especially only 10 days after an impressive performance against Betis. Our Board is hopeless.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Third managerial change in a row that has taken place a quarter of the way into the season. Which is the worst time to attract and appoint somebody given the transfer window is shut, the budget is blown on someone else's signings, and there is no opportunity to prepare the team for the season ahead. And to compound that Beale got rid of any natural wingers which means it will be difficult for anyone to come in and play a 4-3-3. And even after deciding Beale is not the solution, it makes no sense to get rid of him for a couple of rookie ex-players 3 days out from a European game. Especially only 10 days after an impressive performance against Betis. Our Board is hopeless.
Absolutely clueless mate.

TenOuttaTenHag

Doubt he's anywhere near the same class tbh. I remember some Melbourne Victory fans had their doubts about him for instance, and his Sint Truiden failure is still a fairly recent one. And although I imagine he must have worked on his craft, and winning the Japanese league is a huge achievement in this region I'm not sure what to expect from him. Whereas with Ange we knew he'd go there and dominate the place, primarily because he's a fecking genius.
Let’s judge the genius label at the end of the season. He’s done well at Celtic and the first portion of the season. Playing more entertaining football for spurs fans.

TenOuttaTenHag

I agree. Plus he knew how to get a result in Europe (albeit not into CL via qualifiers).
Doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Is he due a big pay off?

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool
Let’s judge the genius label at the end of the season. He’s done well at Celtic and the first portion of the season. Playing more entertaining football for spurs fans.
He's done a bunch of things before that as well, but by now we know very well British watchers will never consider any of it relevant or worth acknowledging.

But anyway, fair enough if you want to see how he fares in an elite league if I'm going to use a word like "genius". Let's see. :)

Last edited:

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool
Who do you want as manager? I see Potter isn't keen although I don't know if that was really realistic. Maybe there's a Scottish manager who could step up?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Who do you want as manager? I see Potter isn't keen although I don't know if that was really realistic. Maybe there's a Scottish manager who could step up?
I don't think there are any obvious candidates from the Scottish game. There are some good over-achieving managers, but the best ones in the top division have built much of their success on being organised and hard to break down. A team that needs 90+ points to win the league needs a different style of manager. On that basis I'd hope we go abroad. Need someone attack-minded, tactically flexible, with the strength of personality to handle a big club. We've probably ruled ourselves out for a few of the more promising managers by our ham-fisted approach to hiring and firing them.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
He's done a bunch of things before that as well, but by now we know very well British watchers will never consider any of it relevant or worth acknowledging.

But anyway, fair enough if you want to see how he fares in an elite league if I'm going to use a word like "genius". Let's see. :)
He will never get the credit he deserves on here. I was laughed at for saying I wanted Ange at Chelsea before Pochettino.

I read a report on Muscat and it notes he plays a very similar style to Ange and although he has followed Ange into some jobs, he has surpassed Ange Postecoglu’s achievements at these clubs.

I’m not sure of the Leonel of bias as it felt like I was reading his CV at one point but a quick look at wiki would show potential accuracy. Would this be a fair assessment?

How close are their styles? Has Muscat completely copied AP style from working with him or has he adapted it and still utilises inverted fullbacks etc? It’s interesting to see Muscat spent one year at Rangers and won a treble.

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool
He will never get the credit he deserves on here. I was laughed at for saying I wanted Ange at Chelsea before Pochettino.

I read a report on Muscat and it notes he plays a very similar style to Ange and although he has followed Ange into some jobs, he has surpassed Ange Postecoglu’s achievements at these clubs.

I’m not sure of the Leonel of bias as it felt like I was reading his CV at one point but a quick look at wiki would show potential accuracy. Would this be a fair assessment?

How close are their styles? Has Muscat completely copied AP style from working with him or has he adapted it and still utilises inverted fullbacks etc? It’s interesting to see Muscat spent one year at Rangers and won a treble.

Ange only had one season at Melbourne Victory and finished 3rd before taking the Australia national team job. Muscat won a couple of leagues in his 6 seasons, but him surpassing Ange isn't that that noteworthy given Ange only had 12 months there.

Also it was Ange who built Yokohama F. Marinos up from an also-ran into a championship winning team with a small budget. Muscat seems to be on track to win back-to-back league titles which is certainly impressive, but he was dealt a very good hand by Ange.

Re: Muscat's style, I have to say I saw very little of his A-League tenure as I was often overseas. I do remember Victory fans wanting him out and him getting booed quite severely at one stage during his reign, but then he won them over by winning his second league. Can't say too much about his style in any detail tbh. They played attacking football but he hasn't managed in this country since 2019 and I missed a lot of his tenure here.

Last edited:

A9X SJ

Rangers are woeful, Beale has bought dross that will need cleared, Butland has been very good for them.

I'm surprised they did not go for Shankland

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool
I see they beat Real Betis the other day so that's something

Irish Bhoy

Supports
Celtic
Rangers talking to Philippe Clement. Lampard not in the running according to Chris Jack who is rangers go to journalist. Highly unlikely a new manager will get Rangers to challenge us this season. We are better than them and have 72 million in the bank. We can easily sign a couple of top players ( relative to SPL standards ) in Jan. We have also had a far tougher start in terms of fixtures so far this season. Aberdeen, M'well and Rangers all played away from Home. I fancy Celtic to win league by approx 15 points. If Rangers get next managerial appointment wrong, then I'd fancy Celtic to win next 3 leagues at least ( including this season )

Reiver

Rangers are up shit creek, where they deserve to be. I'd have loved it if they had appointed Lampard. But I have full confidence their Board will appoint someone just as bad.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
James Tavernier is Trent lite.

Poor defensively but an absolutely astonishing output for a right back.

50+ non set-piece goals and 50+ penalty and free kick goals. I’m sure they just said he also had 121 assists.

JoeyVimsanteThePoet

It was a good result for Aberdeen in the Scottish League Cup, as they defeated Hibernian to reach the final.

Swedish_Plumber

Decisions are all over the place. That was obviously a dive, while there was no reason to rule out the McCausland goal.
Yeah agree. That was a great goal too. He seems a player!
Embarrassing how bad they’ve made VAR over here.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It's funny how no matter how Rangers are doing domestically, they seem to turn up in the EL.

Doing much better since Beale left but their European record in recent times really puts Celtic to shame.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
James Tavernier at Rangers.

Appearances: 431
Goals: 115
Assists: 112

It doesn’t matter what league you’re in, those numbers are insane for a right back. The assists alone would be crazy enough.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
No away fans yet again.

Both clubs have ruined this fixture.

68cob

Stonewall penalty not given by VAR for rangers just before half time.
Apparently, they're trying to say it "might" have been offside, but then showed an angle that offered no definite support for that.

They have now shown it was offside, but it wasn't mentioned at the time

Last edited:

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
The refereeing in Scotland is seriously poor.

Celtic should have had their right back sent off and then the guy Bernardo sent off. The referee was very lenient towards the cloggers in green.

Rangers were poor in quality but had a few chances. That guy Dessers is not a footballer.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The quality of the Glasgow 2 has dropped hugely in the past 5 years. They would both struggle in the PL with their current squads

Irish Bhoy

Supports
Celtic
Still recovering from another hugely successful trip to Glasgow. Mcgregor and O'Riley were Celtics top performers.

Huge win, massive 3 points.

On the overall balance of the game, we deserved our victory.

1 more hugely important game before the Winter break, away to St Mirren on Tuesday, another 3 points required. We will be in a decent place going in to 2nd half of the season, should we win.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
For a few years Rangers’ problem against Celtic is the lack of a top quality striker to put away chances. Same yesterday, created the better chances, didn’t take them and then undone by a wonder strike from range from the best finisher on the park.

I thought Celtic’s best player was Nawrocki who tightened things up a lot when he came on. Midfield was pretty even although I was surprised Bernardo, Johnston and McGregor all avoided second yellows.

Irish Bhoy

Supports
Celtic
For a few years Rangers’ problem against Celtic is the lack of a top quality striker to put away chances. Same yesterday, created the better chances, didn’t take them and then undone by a wonder strike from range from the best finisher on the park.

I thought Celtic’s best player was Nawrocki who tightened things up a lot when he came on. Midfield was pretty even although I was surprised Bernardo, Johnston and McGregor all avoided second yellows.
I thought we absolutely bossed the whole of the 2nd half bar injury time. I watched it again this morning and stand by that assertion.

Goldson lucky to stay on park. Very average defender, over rated by elements within your support.

Bernardo lucky re not getting 2nd yellow also.

Krny

Supports
Celtic Football Club
The bernardo one he stopped before he got to Goldson. Goldsons follow through and studs hit Bernardo. Goldson goes down pretending he is hurt. (Cheating) . Not a yellow for Bernardo. Sterling done a similar tackle minutes later on Taylor and actually followed through and caught taylor , and zero booking.

The Alistair Johnston elbow was inexplicable though, blatant yellow at the very least. Though a rangers player busted O'Rileys nose with a purposeful swing of the arm and got no freekick.

The penalty decision is hilarious, stonewaller (if he's onside) however it was so far offside that it's never a penalty. The Rangers raging at the correct decision being made is hilarious.

Said it from his first game against us in last years Scottish football thread , Todd Cantwell is horrible, a shocking footballer, how do these players who are so shocking in Scotland (nat phillips, shane duffy, matt doherty etc) play in the Super dooper English premier league during their careers, thought it was meant to be a decent level ?

Last edited:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I thought we absolutely bossed the whole of the 2nd half bar injury time. I watched it again this morning and stand by that assertion.

Goldson lucky to stay on park. Very average defender, over rated by elements within your support.

Bernardo lucky re not getting 2nd yellow also.
I don’t recall you creating a single chance in the second half and the statistics bear that out - Rangers having more xg in both halves, despite playing with 10 for half an hour. Where I agree is that when we went to 10 you had more control, for a while, until you lost composure towards the end.

Irish Bhoy

Supports
Celtic
I don’t recall you creating a single chance in the second half and the statistics bear that out - Rangers having more xg in both halves, despite playing with 10 for half an hour. Where I agree is that when we went to 10 you had more control, for a while, until you lost composure towards the end.
We totally controlled the whole of the second half bar once or twice yee countered us. We dominated yee territorally without creating much, however, Turnbull missed a chance where he shot weakly straight at Butland, abada shot straight at Butland when he could have slipped o Riley in from about 12 yards out, and Maeda was 1 v1 before he got taken down for red card. Mikey Johnstone had a good chance but instead of shooting from inside the box, he passes to Turnbull who was flagged offside. To say you don't recall us creating a single chance is blue tinted specs stuff, it's a nonsense. ( We absolutely didn't need to create too much as we were 2 up inside 2 mins of second half. ) We managed the game pretty comfortably until yee scored in 88th minute. Then, the whole stadium got super nervous and it affected our players negatively whilst it affected your players positively.

You genuinely need to look at second half again if u can't recall us having any chances, it's simply not true. We didn't have chances that were sitters but they were reasonably decent chances. Celtic deserved to win the game. Yee done pretty well 1st half and missed about 3 good chances. We also missed a huge chance with Bernardos header at nil nil. He should have buried that. It was a bad miss to be honest.