Scottish Football Thread

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
Don't know how many of you know this.

young kilmarnock player Liam Kelly's dad had a heart attack at the final whistle of todays game and has since died.

Should have been the greatest day of their lives, turned out to be a disaster. Tragic

Sir A1ex

I just read that they are now reporting he died.

Incredibly tragic, I suppose the one "silver lining" is that he lived to see is son win that final, but I'm sure everybody involved with Killie would give it up to have him back.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
That's shit news. What a horrible end to a memorable occasion. RIP Mr. Kelly.

Brophs

The One and Only
In the papers yesterday there was a suggestion that Celtic are going to meet the Football League in an attempt to join League One and work their way up.

At the very least they should be required to join League 2, though personally I'd tell them to feck off altogether.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
^ the football league has already told them to feck the feck off, rightly so.

My idea for Celtic is genius. They should join the MLS. Imagine Celtic based in Boston or NY.

I know Boston already has NE Revolution and if the NY/NJ does get another franchise it likely will be the Cosmos. But they'd have a massive following here. They could still probably play a few games at Parkhead.

There's rumblings that London could get an NFL franchise in the next five years so it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

Back to the here and now however, the OF game is being shown live on FSC here in the States on Sunday morning, I can't remember the last time, if ever FSC has shown live Scottish games.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Shame for Liam Kelly. A great day of his life suddenly turned into one of the worst in his life.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
This would be highly disrespectful to the Scottish FA and Scottish Premier League and will not be countenanced by the Football League."
I still think it will happen within 5 years. They aren't wrong about the SPL and SFA being very annoyed though, but Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, whoever else control their own fate.

I don't think this thread should be used for Old Firm to English Leagues discussions though.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
Shame they've waited for the SPL to be at an all time law before broadcasting it in the USA.

Rangers do have a few americans in the squad right enough

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
I think the only way the OF will get into the English league is if many smaller clubs end up going to the wall and the whole league set up is restructured to maybe two leagues.

I hope it never happens though.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Shame they've waited for the SPL to be at an all time law before broadcasting it in the USA.

Rangers do have a few americans in the squad right enough
Is it a one off do you know? FSC used to have an SPL hilight show a while back.

rcoobc

I used to watch quite a bit of Celtic in the days of Martin O'Neill and Larsson. My interest waned ages ago though.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
Is it a one off do you know? FSC used to have an SPL hilight show a while back.
I have no idea man.

I do remember reading about trying to get a deal with Fox Sports but no clue on the duration of it!

I'd rather they didnt show it often, its embarrassing these days!

rcoobc

So we've all heard how Scottish football can survive without Rangers, but at this moment would it be better off without Celtic? As it stands Celtic would be good money to win the SPL in the next 10 seasons.

FranklyVulgar

I've got a pretty little mouth underneath all the
well done Killies

btw when did Kenny Shiels take over as manager? Was surprised when i read that
He was braught in by Mixu Paatelainen to be his assistant and once Mixu left to take the Finland job he was put in temporary charge for the rest of the season and eventually offered a one year deal. He's done a good job and the fans and players want him to stay on so hopefully he'll get a new deal. He's a good lad.

Obviously gutted about Kellys dad.. takes a great proud moment and really puts it into perspective. RIP and i hope Liam and the rest of the Kelly family are doing ok and get through these tough times.

Brophs

The One and Only
So we've all heard how Scottish football can survive without Rangers, but at this moment would it be better off without Celtic? As it stands Celtic would be good money to win the SPL in the next 10 seasons.
This point was discussed at length on the Sunday Supplement yesterday, so I won't labour it here, but the only thing I'll repeat is that if Celtic leave the SPL then the league will become much like the Scandinavian leagues, which are basically feeder leagues for elsewhere and not really top end leagues in their own rights. The tv deal would be reduced enormously and the league would struggle to sustain full time football beyond the SPL (and even that wouldn't be much to shout about).

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I still think it will happen within 5 years. They aren't wrong about the SPL and SFA being very annoyed though, but Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, whoever else control their own fate.

I don't think this thread should be used for Old Firm to English Leagues discussions though.
Can't see it. It's gone a lot quieter on that front in recent years, compared to a decade or so ago. As much as Lawell is a manipulative bugger, this story was broke by The People which is the tabloid equivalent of caughtoffside.com

rcoobc

Can't see it. It's gone a lot quieter on that front in recent years, compared to a decade or so ago. As much as Lawell is a manipulative bugger, this story was broke by The People which is the tabloid equivalent of caughtoffside.com
Yeah, obviously ThePeople are just wum artists. Last week they claimed Spurs where moving to Wembley. And although it has gone quieter in the last half decade I still think it is ongoing behind the scenes. Last year the SPL wanted to propose a British League Cup.

I still think despite that it's going to happen.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I'm not convinced but what might speed things along would be Rangers dropping out of the SPL. Unlikely to happen, but the reductions in TV/gate/sponsorship money would lead to certain clubs considering their position.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
What is Jon Daly on this season, been sensational for United, they've got and have had some great players in the past few years. It's just a shame that they'll probably lose Russell and Mackay-Steven.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
It's the predictable cycle I guess. The likes of Daly and co are bound to end up leaving Dundee United if they're playing really well.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Well done to the Jambo's today beating Celtic to set up the first Edinburgh cup derby for 106 years.

I've been to both the home ends of Tyncastle and Easter Rd. and I lean towards Hibs slightly over the two. Should be a cracking final.

Is Lennon's championship winning season a little bit sour now that they've lost the league cup to Killie and knocked out of the FA cup to Hearts..?

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
They've bottled all the major games and won the title on default.

Not being able to win the league at Ibrox was dreadful too

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
They've bottled it again. They've still had a good season and have done well to bounce back to win the league with the ease that they did in the end, but they had the treble laid on a plate for them and haven't even gotten a double in the end.

acnumber9

They've bottled all the major games and won the title on default.

Not being able to win the league at Ibrox was dreadful too
I'm not sure how having more points than anyone else is winning it by default.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Well done to Hearts - an Edinburgh derby will make for a decent final.

Celtic fans and Lennon going tonto over the penalty that shouldn't have been awarded. That Hooper was offside only a couple of minutes earlier seems to have been forgotten.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
Been hearing from lots of Celtic fans on facebook that Hearts fans had a banner saying Stilyan Petrov only has 19 minutes to live. Why would anyone find that funny?

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Well done to Hearts - an Edinburgh derby will make for a decent final.

Celtic fans and Lennon going tonto over the penalty that shouldn't have been awarded. That Hooper was offside only a couple of minutes earlier seems to have been forgotten.

Lennon again, he's such a poultice. No wonder nobody outside of Parkheed likes him. Utter gobshite.

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
Would travel to Hampden just to hear 30-40k Hibs fans sing Sunshine on Leith if they win. Good bunch of fans and delighted for Kenny

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Got a mate who's a Hibs fan so I'll try to scrounge tickets to the final from him. Would certainly prefer to see them win it over Hearts.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Doing well would be a stretch as their league form hasn't been great and they're more staying up due to an even worse Dunfermline team out of there depth, but things have improved nevertheless. I think they'll improve over the summer and push for the top half next year.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Would travel to Hampden just to hear 30-40k Hibs fans sing Sunshine on Leith if they win. Good bunch of fans and delighted for Kenny

I met Michael O'Neill (ex Hibs) a few times when he played for Portland Timbers back in 2001, he used to give me comps to games.

This book is one of my favourite football books.. Aiden Smith is a Scottish journalist, life long Hibee who spends a season following the Jambos, it's a cracking read.

Bestie played for them too of course.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
So still no acceptable bids on the table for Rangers FC. One bid was subject the the points reductions being overturned, which will never happen.

Are they really stairing at liquidation?

I also heard or read that Craig Whyte owns Ibrox stadium. If they do go into liquidation and have to start again as a new club will they need a new stadium?

Seems like there's more questions than answers.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I've not really got any idea on the situation myself as the whole thing is a mess.

Basically though, liquidation is a real possibility for them. In fact, at this stage it's looking like more than the likely outcome to be honest.

Just by taking a look at the clubs debt, I don't know why anyone would really want to buy the club. It would be an illogical buy for any sane businessman, unless they're a die hard supporter of the club. That's why you've got to be suspicious of the foreign investers. Since they're obviously not fans of the club, why would they invest hundreds of millions of pounds on the club just to keep them afloat?