Other Sean Lock has passed away

Oggmonster

I'm not sure they should even keep it going without him. Joe Wilkinson was good and it's always nice to look at Rachel Riley, but Sean Lock was 8 out of 10 Cats. The rapport he'd strike with other comedians (Miles Jupp, Roisin Conaty and Rhod Gilbert off the top of my head) was brilliant. He wasn't just funny on his own, he made the people around him funnier too.
Hes not been a regular on it for a few years has he?? Same with Jon Richardson they'd only come back every now and then.

Adcuth

I spent all day yesterday watching clips of him on YouTube. Luckily we'll always have his work to cheer us up. A proper comedian.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
wtf! this came out of nowhere. Loved him whenever he was on any of the panel shows and was hoping he'd be doing Taskmaster soon as well. RIP
He would've been amazing on that.

A real shame. He was an absolutely brilliant comedian.

AllGoodNamesRGone

Supports
Arsenal
Sean vs 3 comedians

Is this just a skit or is he genuinely pissed off and genuinely threatening to chin them. :lol:

I know nothing about the other comedians but they seem shockingly shite and unfunny so I can believe it started off as a genuine attempt to film a show and he ended up getting fed up with them.

Sweet Square

Is this just a skit or is he genuinely pissed off and genuinely threatening to chin them. :lol:

I know nothing about the other comedians but they seem shockingly shite and unfunny so I can believe it started off as a genuine attempt to film a show and he ended up getting fed up with them.
I'm not sure although I agree with you. It seems to start off as a comedy bit but Sean gets annoyed at how loud and shit the others are and then it seems to turn into almost a fight.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I'm not sure although I agree with you. It seems to start off as a comedy bit but Sean gets annoyed at how loud and shit the others are and then it seems to turn into almost a fight.
In somewhat similar (although less aggressive) fashion, he once made Rory McGrath look an arse on QI by not so subtly calling him a boring cnut. I think Sean just had very little patience for shite comedians, especially when they're appearing on comedy shows.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
One of the funniest British comedians i've seen. Was the main reason i would watch cats does countdown.

RIP Sean, thanks for the laughs.

Fingeredmouse

In somewhat similar (although less aggressive) fashion, he once made Rory McGrath look an arse on QI by not so subtly calling him a boring cnut. I think Sean just had very little patience for shite comedians, especially when they're appearing on comedy shows.
That was brutal and he was doing more than pointing out he was a boring cnut: he was exposing him as a pompous and superior windbag and McGrath was clearly properly deflated and upset.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
That was brutal and he was doing more than pointing out he was a boring cnut: he was exposing him as a pompous and superior windbag and McGrath was clearly properly deflated and upset.
As he should have been. Wouldn't have been surprised if that segment was cut from the show had Sean not exposed McGrath as he did.

kentafuji

It was from something called 'Flipside'. The premise being that you'd have a host (in this episode Sean Lock) and three guests who would flip through channels and commentate on whatever came on. Think its fromthe late 90s/early 2000s. A quick google says it usually aired between midnight and 2am, so probably says alot.

Imagine, this genuinely was just Sean getting pissed at them

sallycinnamin

So very sad. Think Channel 4 doing a special this Thursday night. Such a razor sharp dry wit the kind of comedy I embrace.
Rest in peace Sean.

Bertie Wooster

Very sad and shocked to hear about the news. I had no idea he was seriously ill - although, as has been mentioned on here, his appearance and voice change was worrying a year or so ago.

I didn't see much of his stand up - there's only a few stand up comedians that I enjoy watching their whole shows - but I found him hilarious on many panel shows.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
This is the best, I looked for it for ages. That part where he says it's a good job the joke went down well (after exposing his costume) pure genius

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Very sad and shocked to hear about the news. I had no idea he was seriously ill - although, as has been mentioned on here, his appearance and voice change was worrying a year or so ago.

I didn't see much of his stand up - there's only a few stand up comedians that I enjoy watching their whole shows - but I found him hilarious on many panel shows.
I saw that it has been confirmed as lung cancer. He was a life long smoker I think :(

Classical Mechanic

Like most I really liked Lock as he was relatable and didn't rely on gimmicks in his comedy. I read an article/eulogy on Lock by Harry Hill. Apparently Lock convinced Harry, who doesn't generally do panel shows, to go on one as it would be 'the easiest money you'll ever make'. It made me wonder if panel shows are the scurge of comedy. As far as I'm aware Lock only made one sitcom (pre the panel show takeover) which was brilliant but spent most of his time picking up easy money on panel shows. Imagine if the Monty Python crew had the option of high paying panel shows in their heyday, we could of lost a lot of great work.

Last edited:

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
That's brilliant. I've got tears of laughter. :lol:
Not only is it incredibly funny but it also showcases the huge value you can gain by pretending to be dumber than you are so as to be underestimated by your opposition - hard to find a better example in any textbook!

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
It reminded me of this

That's a brilliant clip and genuinely exactly the sort of thing he teaches! It's fundamentally about how to understand and predict human behaviour within the context of a negotiation - fascinating stuff if you ask me though I'm a bit biased obviously!

dal

So sad, he was just an unreal comic and seemed a genuinely funny guy.

I don’t know my historical politics but why did he hate thatcher so much?

R.I.P.

dal

Not an expert but I think it's cause she was a cnut.
Was doing some research on her and one particular statement said she was now working on a deal to privatise hell.

Most of the internet seems to agree with you.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
My favourite Jack Dee stand up. Saw him live also in Bristol. Sean lock in the audience 12:55