Sean Longstaff

Status
Not open for further replies.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Don't believe the 50m stuff. Reckon we'll get him for around 30m. Still overpaying but it'll look better in the context of recent reports.

Red_toad

Just because Newcastle put out an oh we want X amount for a player, does not mean United will pay X amount. United will either negotiate, walk away from any deal or pay said amount.
People getting their knickers in a twist and we’ve not even made a bid.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Newcastle learning from the Football Manager AI school of negotiation I see.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Not worried. He can come next year, or by January, just enough time for Newcastle to be relegated.

Hawks2008

£50m is laughable from Newcastle, but it will blow up in their face when they get relegated this season and will have to sell for peanuts.

dasty

Even 35m is an insane fee for someone who only played in 9 games, let alone 50m. Personally won't want him for anything over 25m.

If we are so persistent on him let's get him next season. He would hopefully had a year of PL experience and will be available for cheaper as Newcastle will be relegated.

NoPace

Ashley will want to sell Longstaff deep down and they've just sold their best player for £30 mil. £35 mil would be a massive offer and I don't think they'd turn it down, they're just starting at way over the minimum price they'd sell at, similar to Zaha and Palace.
Depends how highly they rate him. You're presumably right about Ashley (though maybe selling the team complicates things?) but if Newcastle see him as being a very good Champo CM at the moment with potential, getting a replacement is going to cost 15-20M, right, looking at the Leeds/Villa Phillips deal and similar moves. Not sure 30M or so is a huge win for them is all I'm saying.

Additionally, Hayden is supposed to leave, so you'd figure they need 2 CMs if Longstaff goes, though I suppose they could try to risk it with Shelvey and Ki fighting for the role of passer and then buy a CM with legs to partner the winner of that competition and make the backup Colback or a youth player, though these are the kinds of discussion teams about to get relegated have.

NWRed

There's probably a deal to be done between £30m and £40m. If our scouts and coaches really rate the guy then now is the time to get it done, leave it 12 months and it'll be £70-£80m.

Bondi77

If Newcastle want to knock back 25mil for the kid then let us move on and look at something else.

We would be better off going for Ndidi as he would have to be in the 30-40 price range and Premier league proven so if Newcastle think they can demand 50mil for a player with the game exposure that Longstaff has had they are puffing on some serious gear.

Last edited by a moderator:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Pep said no. Jose said Yes. So yes like most clubs he goes to and f's up their budget and squad it's his fault.

I'm blaming him for Matic and Lukaku too. Shall i continue?
You could do, but that has sod all to do with why Newcastle are demanding £50mil for Longstaff.

Mainoldo

You could do, but that has sod all to do with why Newcastle are demanding £50mil for Longstaff.
True! But I was responding to Fred’s valuation. So if your not bothered next time don’t bite and keep it moving.

Eric's Seagull

£5Om for someone who has played 9 EPL games is crazy. Personally it seems like quite a gamble.Can't judge him as I've never seen him play but this is madness, although he could come here and play immense and they £50m if true if we pay it may turn our to be a bargain.

ivaldo

True! But I was responding to Fred’s valuation. So if your not bothered next time don’t bite and keep it moving.
Bite? I asked a question and you've gotten all defensive, probably because you've somehow managed to blame Jose for Newcastle's high asking price, and you've realised how stupid that actually sounds.

SapperBRed75

What makes you so sure mate please? Steve Bruce might really like and want to keep so it might take crazy bid to sign him.
The critical factor is the player wanting to come, and at that point ‘£50m’ is simply the selling club’s inflated starting position. He’s young and perhaps impressionable, but hometown romance won’t be the deciding factor. Steve Bruce is a capable manager and by all accounts a good guy; he cannot polish Mr Ashley’s t&@d for him. Benitez wasn’t buying the patter and he is a better and more experienced manager than his potential successor. Perez is gone, the club is in tatters, and as a local lad he’ll know it. The opportunity that the rebuild at United presents is clear. He can play for Newcastle once he’s won his trophies if he wants to - for now he needs to do what other talented young Geordie midfielders have done to forge their careers. Leave toon.

Mainoldo

Bite? I asked a question and you've gotten all defensive, probably because you've somehow managed to blame Jose for Newcastle's high asking price, and you've realised how stupid that actually sounds.
I’m alright you know. Maybe you should grasp the topic of conversation again. You’ve got caught up somewhere in it. Probably because you lost your actual point you was trying to make. Happens when you type for the sake of typing.

Next time relax and move on. Not all topics are made for you to respond.

ivaldo

I’m alright you know. Maybe you should grasp the topic of conversation again. You’ve got caught up somewhere in it. Probably because you lost your actual point you was trying to make. Happens when you type for the sake of typing.

Next time relax and move on. Not all topics are made for you to respond.
Kostov said to no one:

Newcastle must be thinking “these clowns spent 50m for some nobody from the Ukrainian league, Sean is worth at least the same”.
To which you said:

The joys of Jose Mourinho.
There was no conversation you nana. Me thinks you might be the one that's lost. Jose eat your homework too?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Even 35m is an insane fee for someone who only played in 9 games, let alone 50m. Personally won't want him for anything over 25m.
Would you even sell Greenwood for 35m? He only played 118 minutes with the first team last season.

Treble

50m is Bruno Fernandes price range.
Bruno isn't young, British and hungry though.

When you announce that you are after some of the relatively most expensive talents in the world, that is, after young, British and hungry players, you must be prepared to pay well over the odds.

Treble

Would you even sell Greenwood for 35m? He only played 118 minutes with the first team last season.
Even 80m for Greenwood would make people unhappy. Many fans expect more from him than they were from Ronaldo when he was a year older.

Last edited:

Mainoldo

Kostov said to no one:

To which you said:

There was no conversation you nana. Me thinks you might be the one that's lost. Jose eat your homework too?
Nana? :lol:

I was clearly referring to Fred’s valuation. I don’t get why you’ve put Longstaff into the equation. If that’s what Newcastle think he’s worth kudos to them. For a guy with 9 appearances there having a laugh. Do you want me to confirm though that I don’t believe Jose Mourinho is responsible for Newcastle rating Longstaff at £50m, just so it registers?

SteveW

I think this will be another AWB. It will happen for around 40m. We are fecked if we dont get a proper CM and they seem to have identified Longstaff.

Looking at the squad this is more important than an AM or CB right now.

Eric's Seagull

The critical factor is the player wanting to come, and at that point ‘£50m’ is simply the selling club’s inflated starting position. He’s young and perhaps impressionable, but hometown romance won’t be the deciding factor. Steve Bruce is a capable manager and by all accounts a good guy; he cannot polish Mr Ashley’s t&@d for him. Benitez wasn’t buying the patter and he is a better and more experienced manager than his potential successor. Perez is gone, the club is in tatters, and as a local lad he’ll know it. The opportunity that the rebuild at United presents is clear. He can play for Newcastle once he’s won his trophies if he wants to - for now he needs to do what other talented young Geordie midfielders have done to forge their careers. Leave toon.
I think you are spot on with the part inbold. He may want to come to further his chances of winning the big trophies, although on the other hand he may become at his home club due to the possibility or becoming a legend at his home club depending on how he developes, although this seems to be a rare thing these days when a big club comes in for you.
I think it could be better for his career going to a big club with better players as he should be able to learn a few things and help him develop into a better player than if he stayed there and like you said he can always go back there in a later stage in his career, an example I would use here is Alan Shearer not that I am saying he is going to be on Alan Shearer's level talent wise.

Waynne

Other clubs want to take us to the cleaners every year when it comes to buying players.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Even 80m for Greenwood would make people unhappy. Many fans expect much more from him than they were from Ronaldo when he was a year older.
Exactly. Count me in to those unhappy list.
The amount of games a player has played just doesn't matter if Newcastle see him as 50m prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.