g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Sean Longstaff

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveW

Seems to be some confusion about what the word literally means. :lol:

I agree with @RD94 s general point though. The Carrick similarities are uncanny imo

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Get it done before their new managers weighs in. Like the look of this player.

Cantonagotmehere

Would be our most exciting signing IMO. A wonderfully talented footballer who can pass at a very good level long or short with either peg whilst playing in a deeper role. He's also very mobile and has high energy/stamina levels that would really help us off the ball and get us closer to being amongst the hardest working teams in the league. He would add much needed intensity which was missing for large parts last season with/without the ball.

He showed in his performances against City and Chelsea that he can bang with the best domestically. I'm hoping we can wrap this deal up soon. He will be for us what alot on here expected from Ruben Neves if we had signed him IMO. The only clear difference being, the Geordie is more mobile in comparison with fantastic fitness levels to go with his fantastic composure, vision/passing and would cost considerably less.
Sounds good to me. I want players with a high motor, energy and passion. I know we need skill too, but heart and desire is what this team lacks most.

poleglass red

If we are legit interested in this lad, move pronto before they get a new manager. Ashley will like the pure profit he'll get for a player that they didn't buy, whereas a new manager might want him as an integral part of their plans

Tel074

He has played 9 times for Newcastle so im not sure how so many people seem to be experts on his ability . He will be 22 in October so hasnt been good enough to play in a awful Newcastle team for the past few years . Id be worried about signing this guy to be honest. Id much rather giving Garner a chance than spend that kind of money on him

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It's easy to see why he's compared to Carrick Tbf. Longstaff is displaying very similar traits to what we saw from Carrick in a deeper role. Only difference being that Longstaff is more mobile with added ice in his veins if the below article is anything to go by.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/feb/28/newcastle-sean-longstaff-rafael-benitez-midfielder

Ameobi said the following..

"And Ameobi, who also made the jump from Newcastle's academy to the first team, feels he reminds him of former England and Manchester United midfielder Michael Carrick"

"He looks like he has been doing it for a long time," Ameobi told BBC Radio 5Live.

"I am delighted for him. Every game he looks like he belongs there. He reminds me a little bit of Michael Carrick the way he plays.

"He can score goals as well and he has more to give. It is great seeing him perform like he is."

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spo...shola-ameobi-compares-sean-longstaff-15882239

Devils11

50m for Longstaff and Lascelles. Maguire can feck off to City.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marcus

He would be in a Dalot situation. Starting the season injured. I don't think we can afford to take the chance he won't be the same after the injury unless the purchase price is ridiculously low.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He would be in a Dalot situation. Starting the season injured. I don't think we can afford to take the chance he won't be the same after the injury unless the purchase price is ridiculously low.
Same with the Dalot situation in that he’s played less than 10 senior football matches at his parent club in his entire career.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's been running and doing ball work for almost 3 weeks now. I would think he'll be ready for the start of the season.

SteveW

Carrick teaching a young quicker version of Carrick how to be Carrick is pretty much the dream scenario for me.

Cliche Guevara

Longstaff like James are very good signings but only in the right conditions.

If we buy Longstaff and also get Bruno and a starting CB then great business. If Longstaff is the only cm addition then it's poor.

If at the end of the window we came out with James AWB Longstaff Bruno and a CB then we would have done good.

Add a striker to that if Lukaku goes of course.
Yeah I’d be well happy with that. It’s definitely an improvement and I’ll assume Ole knows what he wants to do with them.

SteveW

It's easy to see why he's compared to Carrick Tbf. Longstaff is displaying very similar traits to what we saw from Carrick in a deeper role. Only difference being that Longstaff is more mobile with added ice in his veins if the below article is anything to go by.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/feb/28/newcastle-sean-longstaff-rafael-benitez-midfielder

Ameobi said the following..

"And Ameobi, who also made the jump from Newcastle's academy to the first team, feels he reminds him of former England and Manchester United midfielder Michael Carrick"

"He looks like he has been doing it for a long time," Ameobi told BBC Radio 5Live.

"I am delighted for him. Every game he looks like he belongs there. He reminds me a little bit of Michael Carrick the way he plays.

"He can score goals as well and he has more to give. It is great seeing him perform like he is."

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spo...shola-ameobi-compares-sean-longstaff-15882239
And more goals. Seems to have a cannon for either foot by the sound of things.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
And more goals. Seems to have a cannon for either foot by the sound of things.
He can strike a ball with either foot with incredible power. And if we add Bruno Fernandes to the squad, then I foresee us scoring quite a few worldies next season.

SteveW

He can strike a ball with either foot with incredible power. And if we add Bruno Fernandes to the squad, then I foresee us scoring quite a few worldies next season.
I'd be delighted with that to be honest. Huge amount of goals there.

settembrini

I don't see Longstaff as being like Carrick either in terms of style of play or quality. I doubt the comparison would be drawn at all if they weren't both Geordies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I don't see Longstaff as being like Carrick either in terms of style of play or quality. I doubt the comparison would be drawn at all if they weren't both Geordies.
It probably wouldn't be drawn but I can see why it has been drawn. He could also be compared to Ruben Neves in some aspects.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
£25m is really good gamble.

Never watch him but from YouTube video he looks like Carrick which exactly what we have been looking.

He also had a lot of rating 7 when he played last season.

Pep was fully high praise him when he played against city.

AgentP

Longstaff like James are very good signings but only in the right conditions.

If we buy Longstaff and also get Bruno and a starting CB then great business. If Longstaff is the only cm addition then it's poor.

If at the end of the window we came out with James AWB Longstaff Bruno and a CB then we would have done good.

Add a striker to that if Lukaku goes of course.
This is what I'm hoping for too. Will be very happy with those five signings. Incase Bruno doesn't work out, then we should try to get Maddison.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
50m for Longstaff and Lascelles. Maguire can feck off to City.
Forgot about Lascelles, I've always been impressed whenever I watched him, surprised a bigger club hasn't come sniffing around him yet. Surely worth a punt for someone in the top half.

Inception

why are we going for Longstaff, wouldn’t it be better to go for Youri Tielemans?

jackal&hyde

Nothing against him as he might be a talent, but if next season we line up with James, Longstaff and AWB while loosing Pogba and Lukaku we might be in for a very rough ride due to the level of inexperience. We already have players like Rashford, Martial and Dalot that are inconsistent due to age, this will only increase. We might have to write off not just next season but the season after.

Last edited:

Champagne Football

Biggest no-brainer ever if Newcastle willing to sell for £30 million. We have a massive hole in the team in the position he plays in, currently occupied by a expensive Jose giant who floats around at a snails pace.

Art

Art the artist
If Pogba stays :

------------Rashford----------

----Martial------------James--

------Pogba-------Longstaff---

-------------Matic--------------

If Pogba leaves :

------------Rashford-----------

---Martial--------------James--

-----Tielemans---Fernandes---

------------Longstaff------------

I think the latter will happen and I'll be quite alright with that.

SATA

Surely this guy won't be a first teamer if he comes here. Fred, Matic and even McT have to be ahead of him. Pogba of course is the undisputed starter in the midfield

Infestissumam

Robson seems to be well-connected this summer, he first reported on this weeks ago.

Hoping for a swift deal here, but not getting my hopes up. Yes, Ashley likes money and all, but if he gives in quickly NUFC fans might actually riot ...

DancingPanda

Seems to be some confusion about what the word literally means. :lol:

I agree with @RD94 s general point though. The Carrick similarities are uncanny imo
Google's definition of literally; "Used to acknowledge that something is not literally true but is used for emphasis or to express strong feeling."

You are literally clueless.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
If he'll arrive toghether with Fernandes, I'll start considering this summer a productive one.

So far he fits James & Bissaka criteria almost perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.