Segregated travel

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
It came from a labour MP, something the labour party leader agree with as shown below. In the Brexit thread we discuss Davies, May and co together as they come from the same party. It seem that the same rules don't apply for the Labour party.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...byn-considers-women-only-train-carriages.html
I did say "I don't see anywhere in this thread". By the way, that link was from 2015.

Anyway, there was no relevance to the subject of bringing Hamas into the thread. If the proposer has the support of Mr Corbyn then all good.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I did say "I don't see anywhere in this thread". By the way, that link was from 2015.

Anyway, there was no relevance to the subject of bringing Hamas into the thread. If the proposer has the support of Mr Corbyn then all good.
Its an issue which was put forward by a labour MP. JC is the labour party leader so we assume he agrees with it especially since he suggested something similar in the past. He also called Hamas friends too. All of what I said is the truth and I can produce links to it. If such things embarass JC then it shouldnt be my or anybody else problem.

The Tory party is put to shame in the Brexit thread for silly things they said in the past. The same rules should be applied to the labour party as well. That's how I feel we can avoid bias.

I don't want to derail this thread any further. But the impression given is not to say anything bad about labour else you risk a warning/ban

Last edited:

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
Only if the profits from the segregated trains goes towards funding Hummus

Last edited by a moderator:

EyeInTheSky

Its an issue which was put forward by a labour MP. JC is the labour party leader so we assume he agrees with it especially since he suggested something similar in the past. He also called Hamas friends too. All of what I said is the truth and I can produce links to it. If such things embarass JC then it shouldnt be my or anybody else problem.

The Tory party is put to shame in the Brexit thread for silly things they said in the past. The same rules should be applied to the labour party as well. That's how I feel we can avoid bias.

I don't want to derail this thread any further. But the impression given is not to say anything bad about labour else you risk a warning/ban
Only if the profits from the segregated trains goes towards funding Hummus.
Not sure what all the fuss is about but I for one am not averse to ground chickpea based finger food

Last edited by a moderator:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Nothing should be segregated

Why do we even live in a world with walls.

We need to tear down walls, walls shouldn't exist.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Nothing should be segregated

Why do we even live in a world with walls.

We need to tear down walls, walls shouldn't exist.
You're onto something. No segregated toilets and changing rooms. Works a treat. ;)

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Got to ask where we are heading in our societies if we can't any longer have mixed carriages on the tram and subway like we've had for a century without any trouble.
We haven't had them "without any trouble". That's the whole reason a women only carriage is being proposed.

schwarzfahren

I don't hate the idea. I've had more than a few unpleasant/scary experiences on public transit, and it sucks as the situation is hard to remove yourself from.

Oscie

Black people and gay people have likely had unpleasant experience with racism and homophobic attacks on trains. The answer isn't to say to people 'I'm sorry but the white, heterosexual, non-disabled train will be along shortly'. This isn't the answer. It kind of also indicates that male victims of sexual assault, who absolutely exist, aren't as deserving of protection. Also it'd make other carriages presumably more testosterone-filled creating an environment which is potentially more hostile for those minorities not eligible for female only carriage.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Black people and gay people have likely had unpleasant experience with racism and homophobic attacks on trains. The answer isn't to say to people 'I'm sorry but the white, heterosexual, non-disabled train will be along shortly'. This isn't the answer. It kind of also indicates that male victims of sexual assault, who absolutely exist, aren't as deserving of protection. Also it'd make other carriages presumably more testosterone-filled creating an environment which is potentially more hostile for those minorities not eligible for female only carriage.
In principle you're right, but in reality it probably just means women will continue to be forced into these horrible situations. It would fecking suck having to bring back a form of segregation, but frankly if its the only way to guarantee people protection from sexual assault and harrassment then it might be necessary. Sickening that we seem to be taking a step backwards not forwards in terms of peoples attitudes and behaviour though. I've never, ever understood the mindset some guys seem to have where groping or harassing a complete fecking stranger seems acceptable to them. How does that craziness even fecking start in their brains?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Maybe time-restrictions with regards to segregated travel would be more sensible. Late evenings, we could maybe have female only carriages available or during rush hour (though I struggle to see how it would be feasible).

As long as its not compulsory, and just a few carriages on offer - I don't see why not, and people have the option to not use them if it doesn't matter to them. Then judge it after a year or so to see if it has been a success.

My wife avoids the tube for a reason as she feels uncomfortable, so I am sure there is a demand out there for it.

jackofalltrades

In principle you're right, but in reality it probably just means women will continue to be forced into these horrible situations. It would fecking suck having to bring back a form of segregation, but frankly if its the only way to guarantee people protection from sexual assault and harrassment then it might be necessary. Sickening that we seem to be taking a step backwards not forwards in terms of peoples attitudes and behaviour though. I've never, ever understood the mindset some guys seem to have where groping or harassing a complete fecking stranger seems acceptable to them. How does that craziness even fecking start in their brains?
I wonder if the issue is also that in some cases it's a direct attack against women and their role in modern society.

schwarzfahren

Well, even if we leave out the discussion of how women experience abuse on public transit vs. how minorities and LGBT people experience abuse on public transit, there's a pretty simple reason as to why there's a push specifically for women-only carriages. ~50% of the UK population is female, while only ~13% is non-white, and <5% is LGBT.

redmeister

How do you know someone one is a lesbian or a gay man when they get on a train? Surely the vast majority of homophobic abuse on public transport is directed at hetro people.

schwarzfahren

How do you know someone one is a lesbian or a gay man when they get on a train? Surely the vast majority of homophobic abuse on public transport is directed at hetro people.
I'd imagine it's directed at gay couples rather than individuals. At least that's the case in my experience.

Classical Mechanic

Corbyn has dropped the idea because no one wants segregated travel in the UK, including women.