Semi Finals: Argentina vs Croatia | Eng... France vs Morocco

Zetrio2002

On RTE, the Croatian coach straight up said "penalties are our speciality" :lol:
You cannot play for penalty shootout. It will make the football very slow and the team is not even going for the kill.

That's what happened to England, Portugal and Croatia. They only wake up when they were 1-0 down. They were still playing with the ball in the first 30 mins thinking they can draw the match worst case scenario.

I am also very sure Southgate trained his men for penalties a lot before the match given how many penalty shootout heartbreaks he has been through.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
He makes a movement towards the ball, he doesn’t get the ball, he impedes the player. It’s staggering that so many people are having difficulty deciphering why it was a clear penalty.

Edit: never mind, your “Christmas list” pretty much confirms why you want to pretend it’s not a penalty
For me, he doesn't make a move towards the player. The commentator actually agreed too, so your take on it is not universal.

Tbh I'd rather the French won out of them and Argentina, who have been decent but too readily resort to shithousery for my tastes. Messi has had a very good tournament and he tucked away that dodgy pen nicely.

Ladron de redcafe

He makes a movement towards the ball, he doesn’t get the ball, he impedes the player. It’s staggering that so many people are having difficulty deciphering why it was a clear penalty.

Edit: never mind, your “Christmas list” pretty much confirms why you want to pretend it’s not a penalty
Yup. It's funny watching the bitterness:lol:
You cannot plant yourself to obstruct s player's movement when you have no intention of playing the ball. This isn't even complex.

GinobiliTheGOAT

For me, he doesn't make a move towards the player. The commentator actually agreed too, so your take on it is not universal.

Tbh I'd rather the French won out of them and Argentina, who have been decent but too readily resort to shithousery for my tastes. Messi has had a very good tournament and he tucked away that dodgy pen nicely.
The only shithousery was Holland, that’s it

Real Name

What to say. Deserved by Argentina. First half hour we sort of controlled the game, had much of the ball but werent concrete in the attack again. Penalty, first problem is Lovren was completely out of position and played Alvarez onside. My 1st thought was it was a penalty, but more that I look at it more I think it wasnt. Livaković did try to play the ball and it was a collision imo. But that didnt decide the game but the 2nd goal did, we were too open for that counter and we let Alvarez run from the middle of the pitch and he had 2 lucky brakes with Juranović and Sosa trying to kick the ball out. We tried to come back in the 2nd, threw everything but again didnt have the idea or the means to endanger Martinez. Always a step too much, dilly dallying on the ball too much or the passing was too slow. Majer should have come in earlier and all in all we should have used the bench more and smarter. Kramarić as a striker is still a mystery for me, he's either invisible or takes too many touches. We had visible problems in the attack which showed yesterday again.
We can have the ball in the middle, control things but near the box we're toothless.

Then again I cant take anything from the lads, its still a big success for such a small country, they can have their heads high. So can the coach. We can talk about what should have he done and there are certainly things which should have been different but 2 semifinals on 2 WCs, last 16 in Euros and top 4 in Nations league. He deserves to stay till the Euros despite all.

You can call me a big Argentina supporter from now on. They were deadly, pounced on our mistakes and punished us. Someone said they made the right thing and peaked at the right time. Wish for them to win the thing.
Oh and Messi was phenomenal.

@IFC 1905 , @RacingClub , congrats lads!

Ladron de redcafe

The most annoying thing if Morocco lose tomorrow is that the beautiful Moroccan crowd will be so flat in a third place playoff, compared to the absolute carnage they would cause if they were to support Morocco in what will probably be the most viewed football match in history. Just for that, I hope for a Moroccan win.
Yeah I think they've probably been the loudest set of supporters in the world cup. I can't see Morocco continuing to upset the big dogs. If they pull this off, it'll be by far the greatest underdog story in sports history. It would shatter Douglas beating Tyson, Leicester winning the Premier League.

Real Name

Congratulations to Argentina, you deserve it, we weren't up to the task - but neither was referee Orsato and I can't believe that he got this big game when he clearly wasn't fit. You could see him during the match limping like he had some sort of foot injury.:lol: His positioning for a penalty was terrible - he should be closer and way more diagonally positioned from his actual spot, but he couldn't make that run because he was looking injured or something, running on his heels whole game.

IMO that was not a penalty, it's a collision, simple as that and it happens often between goalkeepers and attackers but never seen a penalty given, especially in an important game as the WC semifinal, and without VAR intervention when we see the use of a VAR check for almost everything actually making fans celebrate a VAR decision more than a goal scored. With Orsato not being positioned correctly in the first place, he should check it with VAR.

It is what goalkeepers should do in 1v1 situations and how they take positions to make themselves "bigger" to protect the goal. It was not like Alvarez tried to dribble left/right and he get in his way, attacker played the ball and the collision happened because of the attacker's momentum. The leg was not stretched to stop the attacker's movement, it was grounded as it should be in this situation as he stayed still and everyone who is familiar with or was a goalkeeper would understand what I'm trying to say.

Saw a comment about Livaković not complaining about the decision - he collided and probably get a knee into his ribs at this pace, surely he couldn't complain. :lol::lol: This kind of collisions are mostly underlooked in games because they end up with a goal scored more often than not, with no extra attention needed.

Having said all of this it doesn't change the fact that Lovren did a terrible mistake in positioning allowing Alvarez to get into our box in the first place. Instead of positioning in the line with other defenders and making Alvarez offside, he played him onside deciding to have a race that he will never win. Shame, because we looked good the first half of the hour, and Kovačić impressed me during that time by using a space between lines offered by Argentina's flat 4-4-2 formation.

Second and third goals I wouldn't even comment - one was an amateur mistake conceding counter like that from our set piece and the other one is pure magic by a genius we should all be happy to watch. Disappointing defensive performance by both Lovren and Gvardiol, which was not the case in games before with them being excellent during competition.

Again, congratulations to every Argentina fan here, was rooting for you until our paths crossed and I hope you win it because of Licha and Messi of course, he deserves to have a WC to complete his wonderful career. And, btw, Alvarez is a hell of a player. :eek:
Potpis. :)

Real Name

He makes a move towards the ball, not the player and collision happens. In any case it certainly isn't clear.

Last edited:

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Clear win by Argentina, that first goal basically killed the game.
Croatia is a good team and can cause problems to many better sides, but they shouldn't have been playing a WC semifinal imo.
Brazil vs Argentina would have been the right semifinal.

Real Name

Clear win by Argentina, that first goal basically killed the game.
Croatia is a good team and can cause problems to many better sides, but they shouldn't have been playing a WC semifinal imo.
Brazil vs Argentina would have been the right semifinal.
Strange take that one.

Dan_F

Well ffs, he's trying to save the shot now isn't he?

That's what GK are trying to do?

He's not fouling him.
His feet are well on the ground at the moment Alvarez is crashing INTO HIM are they not?

How could he move his feet once they're on the ground and make a foul when they're fully on the fecking ground?!
Yes, he’s trying to save the shot - he didn’t and impeded the player instead. If a defender runs out to intercept a pass and misses, it’s a foul, why would this be any different.

His feet are just about on the ground but he’s thrown his right leg out wide a split second before, which is what takes out Alverez.

I’ll also add that the fact the shot was still in play and Alverez had a great chance to run onto it impacts a lot. If he shot wide then I hate it when pens are given after the shot is taken.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
You cannot play for penalty shootout. It will make the football very slow and the team is not even going for the kill.

That's what happened to England, Portugal and Croatia. They only wake up when they were 1-0 down. They were still playing with the ball in the first 30 mins thinking they can draw the match worst case scenario.

I am also very sure Southgate trained his men for penalties a lot before the match given how many penalty shootout heartbreaks he has been through.
Tbf, I don’t think either England or Portugal played for penalties at any moment during this tournament. You have to prepare for them yeah, but I agree, it’s risky trying to hold out for pens.

Elcabron

Irrelevant now, but surely Alvarez would have been able to go past the keeper and tap it in? The ball stopped short of the line.
Maybe he would if he and the keeper didn't collide but my point is why is that collision automatically the keepers fault? I don't see what the keeper did wrong there. He did his job by narrowing the angle and preventing the attacker from having an easy finish.

I don't see how it is his fault that the attacker then ran into him given the keeper didn't stick out a leg etc to trip him.

Irrelevant now as you say anyway and Croatias defending that created that situation was dire as it also was for the next two goals. Pivotal moment all the same though.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
All this discussion regarding the penalty. It looked like a clear penalty to me but what do I know. With all the changes, I don't understand the criteria most of the time.

Clear penalty and clear winners.

Dan_F

Maybe he would if he and the keeper didn't collide but my point is why is that collision automatically the keepers fault? I don't see what the keeper did wrong there. He did his job by narrowing the angle and preventing the attacker from having an easy finish.

I don't see how it is his fault that the attacker then ran into him given the keeper didn't stick out a leg etc to trip him.

Irrelevant now as you say anyway and Croatias defending that created that situation was dire as it also was for the next two goals. Pivotal moment all the same though.
I would generally say the onus is on the defender/keeper to make sure they don’t take out the attacker. I thought he definitely stuck his right leg out before the contact?

Infra-red

All this discussion regarding the penalty. It looked like a clear penalty to me but what do I know. With all the changes, I don't understand the criteria most of the time.

Clear penalty and clear winners.
It seemed pretty clear. A foul in the box.

Either way, the better side won, which is usually the right outcome.

Elcabron

I would generally say the onus is on the defender/keeper to make sure they don’t take out the attacker. I thought he definitely stuck his right leg out before the contact?
Well that is usually definitely not the case with a keeper who normally gets a free if there is the slightest hint of contact when he comes out to claim a cross. I thought his leg was already there or at least that's how it looked to me.

Real Name

Well that is usually definitely not the case with a keeper who normally gets a free if there is the slightest hint of contact when he comes out to claim a cross. I thought his leg was already there or at least that's how it looked to me.
Yes, the leg being there or not deosnt mean automatically he impeded Alvarez.

Dan_F

But when a keeper comes out for a cross, the attacker isn’t in a 1v1 situation. Although I think keepers get way too much protection anyway.

I thought he flicked out the leg but anyway, I’m not commenting any more on it. I don’t think anyone is changing their views :lol:

Axe2401

Funny story of France - Marocco. Mbappe and Hakimi are huge friends in real life, and tonight they will face each other in the same area of the field.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
The negative repercussions from a loss would be too much. Morocco have done so well but this is the ideal semi final for France tbh
Yeah, honestly think it won't be much of a contest. Unlike Spain (and Portugal to a lesser extent) you have much more directness in attack with a great targetman and x factor with Mbappe.

It would be a fun fairytale for Morocco to go through, but some of the people I know would never stop rubbing it in if they win a world cup before we do. So just end it here silvousplait

Natener

Morocco has not conceded against an opposition player in 9 consecutive games including pre World Cup friendlies. That's one mean defense for France to break down.

Antarion

This was the same performance as France - Croatia final 2018 so I'm glad we don't see a rematch as I feared fo the same boring result then.

Argentina will throw EVERYTHING in to secure Messi that title. And what a headline it would be, too bad Maradona won't see it anymore.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Morocco has not conceded against an opposition player in 9 consecutive games including pre World Cup friendlies. That's one mean defense for France to break down.
Their first choice central defense is injured though

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

It wasn't just a collision. You make yourself big, spread your legs wide and block the attacker. Didn't get any of the ball and the attacker had the advantage.

Can't believe people are still arguing about it.

lex talionis

The Argentina attacker ran through the Croatia keeper. If that’s now a penalty, fine, but those who argue it’s a penalty should provide clear guidance on what the keeper should have done in that situation that he did not do to avoid committing the foul that he allegedly committed.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
I think if the keeper had touched the ball it wouldn't/mightn't have been a penalty, but he didn't.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
They’ve been excellent. Thoroughly deserved to be in the semi finals but this is perhaps now game too far for them. I hope I’m wrong but I see it being a 3-0 game.

Extremely glad Croatias luck finally ran out. Definitely not one of the 4 best teams in the competition but hey at least they can go home proud that they overcame Canada.

Natener

Their first choice central defense is injured though
I would attribute such a run to a collective effort so I doubt the injury is going to mean France would be tearing them apart. France would still probably nick it with a goal, but this is going to be tight for the most part.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
The Argentina attacker ran through the Croatia keeper. If that’s now a penalty, fine, but those who argue it’s a penalty should provide clear guidance on what the keeper should have done in that situation that he did not do to avoid committing the foul that he allegedly committed.
Let me put it this way: it's like a defender going in for a tackle, gets dribbled and misses the ball but his leg follows through and brings down the attacker. I think we all agree that is a clear foul. (The question here with your lline of argument would be: what should the defender have done with his leg to to avoid committing the foul).
So now, let the defender be the GK, and let the attempted tackle be the GK rushing off his line in an attempt to intercept the ball from the attacker. GK doesn't get the ball but blocks the attacker from progressing due to the presence of his widespread arms and body (intending to get the ball).

Some said yesterday that it was 50-50 but I think it's as stonewall as you can get.