Sensible, non-hysterical ESL and CL discussion only

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It basically turns football into another sports culture
Lesser sports at that.

Sigh, what annoys me most is that our club is right in the middle of the abhorrent 12

This is why the whole billionaire owner was a bad idea. And people thought spending 150 million instead of 200 million was an issue.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
All fans. Surely the sport actively favouring 15 clubs and as part of its rules giving them preferential treatment regardless of future performances, damages the sport in general, which isn't good for people who love the sport? Also, why are fans of the non elite clubs not important?

The "fans" argument is simple. Respect for the spirit of the sports Vs Cash. It can't all be about the money.
But that's just words. Spirit of the sport and all. Just empty words.

I mean, in a practical manner, how does it impact the fans? They can't watch it on tv anymore, they can't go to the stadium?

Trex

I feel the only way forward would be a resolution were everyone gets a bit of what they want, my proposal would be

* Create a new european club league format.
* A multi league system, were initial qualification would be by current uefa coefficient ranking.
* 20 club in the elite division split into two mini leagues, winner of both leagues play off to determine the ultimate champion, bottom of both mini league get relegated.
* Winner of each group in the B league be promoted, same happens in the C league.
* Tv rights of each division be sold seperately and distributed to clubs in the division.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
"The solution is to reduce costs. With the Super League the clubs are trying to solve the problem of debts, which have worsened with the pandemic. But the way cannot be to collect more and more and pay more and more players and agents. We need to cut back a bit, not put more on the table. We have overspent: everyone, no one excluded. It's time to make football less arrogant.
Superleague or not the overspending needs to be addressed, this has been the biggest issue from a long time and someone needs to do something about it whether it is FIFA or the clubs themselves.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
But that's just words. Spirit of the sport and all. Just empty words.

I mean, in a practical manner, how does it impact the fans? They can't watch it on tv anymore, they can't go to the stadium?
Ah gotcha. So that's all that matters. Good to know how practical you are.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Ah gotcha. So that's all that matters. Good to know how practical you are.
Yes, that's all that matters. I don't lie to myself about ideals when it comes to football. It's canis canem edit. I like Manchester United above everything else in the world of football. I only care about United's prosperity. Football is cruel.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

The motivations behind the Superleague are actually logical and sensible.

These big clubs are not making profit, they're indebted and losing money every year.

It's easy to say that they're already millionaires and shouldn't care but by saying that you're basically asking them to work for free, hell at a DEFICIT.

Would you work for free or at a deficit? I wouldn't, the same apply to these people, they're running a business, professional football clubs are not charity associations;

DoomSlayer

These big clubs are not making profit, they're indebted and losing money every year.

It's easy to say that they're already millionaires and shouldn't care but by saying that you're basically asking them to work for free, hell at a DEFICIT.

Would you work for free or at a deficit? I wouldn't, the same apply to these people, they're running a business, professional football clubs are not charity associations;
They should sell if they can't do it. Or go bankrupt. Or face social scrutiny. Or even face the law for criminal mismanagement of finances and corruption to the highest degree. Greed should never be excused, you should be ashamed of yourself.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

They should sell if they can't do it. Or go bankrupt. Or face social scrutiny. Or even face the law for criminal mismanagement of finances and corruption to the highest degree. Greed should never be excused, you should be ashamed of yourself.
If you are losing money you go find a way to make more benefits.
I don't agree with how they're doing it but they're totally in their right to come up with something.

Mismanagement? Ah yes all 12 of these clubs happen to be mismanaged and it can't actually be that there just isn't enough money in football as it is and that covid 19 has ruined the clubs's finances even further?

lostcauz

Clubs mismanaging their finances has caused these issues and the debt. I’d say this is the time for the organisations/leagues to seriously consider salary and transfer caps because some of these big teams are running the clubs into the ground and clearly can’t look after themselves.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
People always talked about the spending bubble bursting eventually. Maybe this it.

Lentwood

I would be interested to see the narrative had Sky developed this idea in tandem with the breakaway clubs...I guarantee we would be getting a spin on how they were “safeguarding the future of football”.

DoomSlayer

If you are losing money you go find a way to make more benefits.
I don't agree with how they're doing it but they're totally in their right to come up with something.

Mismanagement? Ah yes all 12 of these clubs happen to be mismanaged and it can't actually be that there just isn't enough money in football as it is and that covid 19 has ruined the clubs's finances even further?
Do you actually believe in any of the shite you've written? :houllier:

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
".
I would be interested to see the narrative had Sky developed this idea in tandem with the breakaway clubs...I guarantee we would be getting a spin on how they were “safeguarding the future of football”.
Very true, and probably shows that this isnt really going to happen.

It's a heck of a negotiating stance though

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Do you actually believe in any of the shite you've written? :houllier:
Why wouldn't I?
There isn't enough money in football as it is to pay for the transfers,salaries and still make profit.
You say the club are responsible for mismanaging their money and I raise an eyebrow at the possibility of EVERY SINGLE big club being mismanaged.
The Superleague may not be the right solution but they're right to try and do something about the finances of their clubs, football needs to sort a way to make more money.

DoomSlayer

Why wouldn't I?
There isn't enough money in football as it is to pay for the transfers,salaries and still make profit.
You say the club are responsible for mismanaging their money and I raise an eyebrow at the possibility of EVERY SINGLE big club being mismanaged.
The Superleague may not be the right solution but they're right to try and do something about the finances of their clubs, football needs to sort a way to make more money.
All that just shows me you are another money-hungry individual that sees progress solely through $ signs.

mancan92

Sooo sell? Not aim to ruin a sport for yourself

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
This year the group stage was anything but boring. I doubt you'd be saying that if we didn't bottle it and qualified.
Honestly I still found it boring. I dont know if that's the lack of fans though. It was a bit like Jose said after Spurs got knocked out the Europa League;

In the 90 minutes and in the first half of extra-time, there was one team that decided to leave everything on the pitch. They left everything there - they left sweat, energy, blood and at the end of the game, they had even tears of happiness.
At any game, at any point, did United treat this years group stage like a proper European night? Maybe for about 10 mins when Pogba came on against RB Leipzig. The rest of the time, we treated it like a job.

The most interesting group stage I've watched in the last 15 years was Celtic in 2013 (and the other time they qualified recently whatever year that was).

Celtic treated their little Champion's League campaign like it was the semi finals. Those were truly fantastic European nights.

United treat the group stage like a job. Win or lose, qualify or not, yes it's boring.