Serge Aurier | Spurs player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acole9

Outstanding
Apparently there's a deal in place to sign him, can't say I've really seen that much of him to cast judgement.

Ferguson

Zlatan, Keane, Ruud etc. were good enough to get away with their bad behavior.

A right back even if he is world class is going to have a harder time justifying his behavior.

Plus, the bad behavior of Zlatan, Keane and Ruud was the bad behavior of competitors in the heat of battle on the pitch or the training ground.

Aurier has a habit of juvenile public social media comments made at home in his pajamas and assaults on cops outside clubs. It is idiotic behavior that is completely unnecessary.

That said, I can see Mourinho going for the player if Zlatan vouches for him depite their history. There is also Bailly as a fellow Ivorian to partner him with long term. I wouldn't be surprised if Zlatan loves the guy tbh.

Mourinho will believe in his man-management, and if you can have John Terry as your leader then bad behavior off the pitch means very little to you.

CM

I wasn't sure about this when I first heard about it and I'd still have some reservations but I am beginning to warm to the idea. If the €20m figure is accurate then it could be some reasonable business.

Acole9

Outstanding
He's a phenomenal player, also a phenomenal twat, basically.
Because of the run in he had with Blanc which saw him suspended? Or is there far more to him than just that?

Womp

idiot
Because of the run in he had with Blanc which saw him suspended? Or is there far more to him than just that?
Not sure if it's ever been verified but apparently he was charged for beating up a cop as well. So ye, he's incredibly gifted from what I've seen, also a bit of a nutter though. :p

Infra-red

Not sure if it's ever been verified but apparently he was charged for beating up a cop as well. So ye, he's incredibly gifted from what I've seen, also a bit of a nutter though. :p
He was convicted of assaulting a police officer and given a two-month suspended jail sentence in September last year.

He was due to travel to London to play Arsenal in the Champions League in November, but the UK authorities revoked his visa and refused him entry to the country.

The Home Office said in a statement: "The immigration rules clearly state that non-EU nationals who have received a custodial sentence of less than 12 months within the last five years will be refused on criminality grounds."

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38069036

Infra-red

Isn't that basically game over then? We won't get a permit for him for another four or so years?
Immigration law is not my area but it looks difficult unless his assault conviction is overturned (he is appealing the verdict and the hearing is scheduled for the summer).

dellboyy

Immigration law is not my area but it looks difficult unless his assault conviction is overturned (he is appealing the verdict and the hearing is scheduled for the summer).
You never know then i guess. It sounds like it'd be a bit of a risk though, we could end up with him not being able to play for us for six months or so while it all gets sorted.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If he moved to France at a young age doesn't he have a French passport? There'd be no issue with immigration then.
I was wrong, he tried to have a french passport but couldn't provide all the needed papers.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
He was convicted of assaulting a police officer and given a two-month suspended jail sentence in September last year.

He was due to travel to London to play Arsenal in the Champions League in November, but the UK authorities revoked his visa and refused him entry to the country.

The Home Office said in a statement: "The immigration rules clearly state that non-EU nationals who have received a custodial sentence of less than 12 months within the last five years will be refused on criminality grounds."

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38069036
But those with longer sentences are most welcome?

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
@Downcast how likely is this?
Think Aurier will be waiting until summer to sign a new contract if he does so. Can't see either him or Meunier happy with a bench role going into next season and Meunier seems to be first choice now.
The same. Moreover, Aurier was - for good or bad reasons - the target of the French media with diverse scandals.

I feel he would be happy to leave the French media landscape.

On the other hand, he has an excellent relationship with Nasser Khelaifi who never sells an important player under contract.

50/50 IMO

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
To clear things up the original L'Equipe paper says that PSG isn't selling and €20m is a random estimate of what could be offered for him, the journo mentions it wouldn't make PSG blink an eye.

lysglimt

Scout
This is the double standard!!! Zlatan is only arrogant? He abused his own team mates consistently. Attacked Van der vaat, caught on TV calling France a shit country and apparently threatened Pep...his own coach!!, and don't get me started with how many referees he has insulted. But this kid cant be given the benefit of doubt.
apparently threatened Pep ? Apparently ?
Calling France a shit country is stupid - but it's not illegal or particularly abusive to anyone.
As for abusing referees - yes he has done that on one occation that I know of (That he got suspended for)

The difference is Zlatan is 35 years....Aurier has racked up the list I mentioned despite him only being 24 years old.

As for double-standard ? I am not even a big fan of Zlatan - but I will be the first to admit that you can't compare him to what Aurier has done.

Z_Wolf

Multiple reports saying he's not traveled to US for pre season with PSG. Looks like he's on his way out. Considering the scarcity of quality RBs on the market, we should be all over this guy. He'd be a great replacement for Valencia.

Last edited:

settembrini

He's a nutcase and PSG are being smart in ditching him. No way should we buy him, we don't even need a new right back.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Multiple reports saying he's not traveled to US for pre season with PSG. Looks like he's on his way out. Considering the scarcity of quality RBs on the market, we should be all over this guy. He'd be a great replacement for Valencia.
He would have been ideal for Barca if they hadn't just brought semedo

Spurs might have some cash and an opening at right back... hope not though because he would be a big upgrade on walker.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He would have been ideal for Barca if they hadn't just brought semedo

Spurs might have some cash and an opening at right back... hope not though because he would be a big upgrade on walker.
Really? Meunier pushed him out of first choice and he has a lot of problems with attitude and falling out with players/managers.

cyberman

I'm not sure he could get into America with his criminal record?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Really? Meunier pushed him out of first choice and he has a lot of problems with attitude and falling out with players/managers.
true... but on a pure talent basis id have aurier over munier any day.
cant stop him being a twat but hey giggs was smashing his sister in law and we still loved him so as lomg as he plays anything close to his abilities he will be a great signing wherever he goes even if he ends up acting line a twunt

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
true... but on a pure talent basis id have aurier over munier any day.
cant stop him being a twat but hey giggs was smashing his sister in law and we still loved him so as lomg as he plays anything close to his abilities he will be a great signing wherever he goes even if he ends up acting line a twunt
Its bit of a different problem. It isnt a morality issue. Giggs was a personal problem and it never affected his attitude. Being a twat by assaulting and having serious attitude problems affects the team a lot more.

TehRed

He's a decent player, but as others have said, there are serious questions about his mentality and attitude. I'd avoid him, go let him be a problem somewhere else. There are other right backs out there besides him and Semedo.

ti vu

Its bit of a different problem. It isnt a morality issue. Giggs was a personal problem and it never affected his attitude. Being a twat by assaulting and having serious attitude problems affects the team a lot more.
Fair point, but in case a coach feel like he is capable of dealing with those attitude problem then it's clear for me. For assault thing, shite happened. Important thing is whether he learnt from it & back to my previous point whether he has the guidance he needs from a capable coach

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Fair point, but in case a coach feel like he is capable of dealing with those attitude problem then it's clear for me. For assault thing, shite happened. Important thing is whether he learnt from it & back to my previous point whether he has the guidance he needs from a capable coach
But certain players never learn. Balotelli is a prime example. Every manager thought they could get the best of him but curbing his attitude issues but look where he is now.

ti vu

But certain players never learn. Balotelli is a prime example. Every manager thought they could get the best of him but curbing his attitude issues but look where he is now.
You're right, but we don't know for sure whether Aurier is that never learn kind of guy. Since those incident, there were more positive news coming from him how he's seeking to wash away this bad boy reputation by seeking a move away from France (check up this thread closer to first few pages), and indeed there was not much noise of his bad behavior since. I think scout/ info gatherer on player would work to keep checking on the player's recent behavior too beside football thing.

I am not saying we should definitely be the club that should take a punt on him. Just that we shouldn't keep a closed door just because those things.

Last edited:

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
You're right, but we don't know for sure whether Aurier is that never learn kind of guy. Since those incident, there were more positive news coming from him how he's seeking to wash away this bad boy reputation by seeking a move away from France (check up this thread closer to first few pages), and indeed there was not much noise of his bad behavior since.
Yeah, right. Aurier is a loser. Sad!

But to be honest, I don't see him really getting smarter anytime soon. He hangs out with a bunch of dumbasses who don't help him one bit cleaning up his act. They'll follow him wherever he goes, and while he'll behave well wherever he goes next for a bit, he'll find a way to fall back on his bad habits and cause some internal damage to the team. I would steer clear of him, especially since RB is not the most vulnerable of positions at the club.

Toad

Definitely avoid no matter how talented.

Valencia got a couple of good seasons left in him, I just hope a quality right back becomes available at that point because Valencia will be sorely missed :(

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
If Jose wanted a RB, he would have bought Semedo. I doubt we will sign someone tbh with Valencia going strong and young players as back up

Status
Not open for further replies.