g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Serge Aurier | Spurs player

Status
Not open for further replies.

gza the genius

Ivanovic had a pretty rapid decline and Mourinho's decision to persevere with him last season was probably one of the things that cost him his job. Ivanovic was no longer cutting it from an attacking perspective and defensively pretty much every goal they conceded when I watched them was conceded down his flank.

As good as Valencia has been, Jose might have that in mind and want to prepare for the future. Valencia will be turning 32 at the start of next season.
I can see that and it would make sense, but, there just doesn't appear to be any evidence so far that Valencia is slowing down. Even if he does begin to next season we've got Darmian who originally was primarily a right back as cover if/when Valencia needs a rest.

We can't overhaul the whole team this summer and I just see right back as one of our least problematic positions at least in the coming season.

ti vu

I can see that and it would make sense, but, there just doesn't appear to be any evidence so far that Valencia is slowing down. Even if he does begin to next season we've got Darmian who originally was primarily a right back as cover if/when Valencia needs a rest.

We can't overhaul the whole team this summer and I just see right back as one of our least problematic positions at least in the coming season.
You really missed the point here. Darmian's game is very different than Valencia. If Valencia slow down, we end up change the game plan mid season. Darmian is not ball winning FB. He doesn't cover the whole flank running up & down at high speed many times during game. He doesn't carry the ball from the back...

Slowing down here is not just fatigue that can be recovered by resting. People meant decline. Valencia is playing a very physical demanding role unlike Zlatan who changed his game & less speed reliant. Valencia's game mostly revolves around his physicality! Don't forget fullbacks who relies on their physicality often decline very sharp Maicon, Ivanovic, Zabaletta... In few months one can drop from top class to reliability standard. It's wise to prepare cover for 30+ fullback.

Good player with great potential in certain positions can be hard to find & can be expensive if you have your hand tied & at mercy of selling clubs . There is no guarantee there would be someone available when Valencia indeed declines.

Last edited:

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi

Well we have already seen Valencia decline rapidly. He was a great winger for a while and then all of sudden he wasn't.

gza the genius

You really missed the point here. Darmian's game is very different than Valencia. If Valencia slow down, we end up change the game plan mid season. Darmian is not ball winning FB. He doesn't cover the whole flank running up & down at high speed many times during game. He doesn't carry the ball from the back...

Slowing down here is not just fatigue that can be recovered by resting. People meant decline. Valencia is playing a very physical demanding role unlike Zlatan who changed his game & less speed reliant. Valencia's game mostly revolves around his physicality!

Good player with great potential in certain potential can be hard to find & can be expensive. There is no guarantee there would be someone available when Valencia indeed declines.
Again, I get that. But I just don't see the point in spending big on a right back this summer when we have probably the best right back in the league playing for us right now with no signs of deterioration at all.

I get your point about Darmian as well, but, if Darmian is starting on the right it would most likely mean Shaw is starting on the left so you just have a reversal. I just think we have much more pressing issues than replacing our most consistent and probably best player this season.

In defense alone I would think a center back and left back would be a higher priority. And then we also need a center mid and an attacker or two. Those all take higher priority for me and I can't see us buying in all of those positions and then adding a right back as well.

ti vu

Again, I get that. But I just don't see the point in spending big on a right back this summer when we have probably the best right back in the league playing for us right now with no signs of deterioration at all.

I get your point about Darmian as well, but, if Darmian is starting on the right it would most likely mean Shaw is starting on the left so you just have a reversal. I just think we have much more pressing issues than replacing our most consistent and probably best player this season.
I edited my previous post a bit so reread it again for new points: physical FBs can decline sharp especially for PL; perhaps Mourinho saw the sign (he asked for a starter quality LB at Chelsea that summer which would be he intended to move Cesar to RB?) & now; high potential player is not always available; PSG is open to sell right now so it wouldn't be ridiculous as when we get desperate.

Point is you're suggesting to gamble on Shaw to step up big time which is also no guarantee. Changing is not that simple, you have to tweak the front line too. Mata helping out Darmian on right side never work despite how good left side can become. Remove Mate on right wing, then you need to ask the other wing to compensate for Mata's quality. This is only hypothetical, since we don't know how our set up next season would be, but you can see the point. You don't want to this in mid season, especially in case you want/ being challenging for trophies. Prepare before the season, then adapt along the way, that's better planning

Last edited:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
WTH are we doing signing a RB? Valencia, TFM, Darmian hell even Young, Smalling and Jones not enough options there?

United Pro

WTH are we doing signing a RB? Valencia, TFM, Darmian hell even Young, Smalling and Jones not enough options there?
I can't quite remember, but didn't Aurier play a few games as a LB and RCB in a back 3 whilst still at Toulouse? So he is versatile in that sense. Besides, he's arguably a better RB than Valencia so this would make sense for that alone.

3KDré

Valencia is the only one from there that is actually a RB who can attack and defend well. TFM is a centre mid IMO, the others are not good enough.

Motorman

Whats his mentality like though. Only things I have heard about him are negative.

If he has good attitude though and is as good as people say he is them I wouldnt be averse to signing him. We should always be looking to strengthen and sign better players imo.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Rojo, bailey and aurier would be a complete and utter nutjob defensive line

Aggressive and unpredictable.

buckooo1978

Rojo, bailey and aurier would be a complete and utter nutjob defensive line

Aggressive and unpredictable.
Bailly and Rojo could be described better as aggressive and reliable...surely our first choice CB pairing - I was a Rojo critic but a couple of poor tackles aside he's been very dependable

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Bailly and Rojo could be described better as aggressive and reliable...surely our first choice CB pairing - I was a Rojo critic but a couple of poor tackles aside he's been very dependable

bailly and Rojo are defo are number 1 centrebacks although they're relatively solid both give me that feeling that they could feck up at any second be it error or a late challenge, add Aurier to the mix and I'm sure it'll be very interesting if not downright scary.

Hawks2008

tbh I've never seen this guy play apart from the odd champions league game, but I kinda want him just so United are even more stacked in FIFA.

Quizierda

Smalling and Jones (and even Darmian & Young) shouldn't be even considered as alternative RB's (not to mention starting in this position) at a club like United!!

They are simply not good enough and so is TFM (yet). Valencia is the only real RB we have, thus, we need to get a back-up/successor for him this summer. As mentioned before I wouldn't go for Aurier for certain reasons, however, a player like Hysaj seems a good shout for me.

The BlackGaijin

Every feckin time we are linked with an AFRICAN player, same feckin excuses on here. You honestly think this guy is a bigger dick than than Zlatan?..or even a young Rooney? or Tevez ? or Caf's favourite Keane ? Icardi doesn't get as much stick here although he is a dick. Jesus even Di Maria has some people defending him but this is the guy that is bad for the team?

He is a perfect mourinho player, like Zlatan , Harrera or Drogba. There is a pattern here that just disgusts me when it comes to certain nationality and color players. Sorry for the rant, let me go have a beer and cool down.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Every feckin time we are linked with an AFRICAN player, same feckin excuses on here. You honestly think this guy is a bigger dick than than Zlatan?..or even a young Rooney? or Tevez ? or Caf's favourite Keane ? Icardi doesn't get as much stick here although he is a dick. Jesus even Di Maria has some people defending him but this is the guy that is bad for the team?

He is a perfect mourinho player, like Zlatan , Harrera or Drogba. There is a pattern here that just disgusts me when it comes to certain nationality and color players. Sorry for the rant, let me go have a beer and cool down.
Let's not play that card. He acted like a dick, he assaulted a policeman and he has been sub par in the last 12 months. But he was excellent against Monaco during the cup final.

Quizierda

Don't see what this discussion is supposed to have to do with "color".. However, the AFCON is an issue (just ask the Scousers) and as a club aiming to get back to the top in a league in which the December/January period is so busy and important you simply can't afford to lose half of your defense (Aurier & Bailly in that specific case) due to a nations cup.

His attitude is at least questionable (to put it nicely) and he has proven that many times in the last few years. So don't wanting such a guy in the team has absolutely NOTHING to do with color.

Some people try to use the racism card everywhere... :rolleyes:

United Pro

I personally want Aurier and have wanted him here since his impressive showing at the world cup. But to suggest that people don't want him here because of his colour is simply absurd. He's got a record worse than any of those players you've just mentioned. Perhaps you've got a point with some people not wanting him as he's African, but that's to do with him missing a month or so every 2 years in the AFCON and not to do with his race alone.

The BlackGaijin

Let's not play that card. He acted like a dick, he assaulted a policeman and he has been sub par in the last 12 months. But he was excellent against Monaco during the cup final.
He denied the allegations and said it was he who was assaulted... either way, he is as much a dick as Zlatan and we all love him.

lysglimt

Scout
bailly and Rojo are defo are number 1 centrebacks although they're relatively solid both give me that feeling that they could feck up at any second be it error or a late challenge, add Aurier to the mix and I'm sure it'll be very interesting if not downright scary.
Can we bring Mark Dennis or Stuart Pearce out of retirement as well ?

JPRouve

Scout
He denied the allegations and said it was he who was assaulted... either way, he is as much a dick as Zlatan and we all love him.
He has nothing to do with Zlatan, Aurier acted badly end of story. I'm not the type to not forgive him, so I would gladly take him, if we are the right environment for him but let's not ignore his actions.

lysglimt

Scout
Zlatan is arrogant....he does not attack cops, call his coach gay or call the referee a dirty bastard...there is a difference

Infra-red

Don't be ridiculous. The concerns over Aurier's character are entirely justified and have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with his nationality. He was refused entry to the United Kingdom last year because the dickhead carries a conviction for assualting a police officer.

The BlackGaijin

[
He has nothing to do with Zlatan, Aurier acted badly end of story. I'm not the type to not forgive him, so I would gladly take him, if we are the right environment for him but let's not ignore his actions.
There is a comparison to be made. Some players are dicks but people only concentrate on their talent. For others, however their personal mistakes follow them everywhere. In my eyes certain players are forgiven easier than others.

JPRouve

Scout
There is a comparison to be made. Some players are dicks but people only concentrate on their talent. For others, however their personal mistakes follow them everywhere. In my eyes certain players are forgiven easier than others.
And isn't that what you are doing with Zlatan, who did far less than Aurier? Should we be disgusted by your attitude regarding Zlatan's nationality and color?

The BlackGaijin

Zlatan is arrogant....he does not attack cops, call his coach gay or call the referee a dirty bastard...there is a difference
This is the double standard!!! Zlatan is only arrogant? He abused his own team mates consistently. Attacked Van der vaat, caught on TV calling France a shit country and apparently threatened Pep...his own coach!!, and don't get me started with how many referees he has insulted. But this kid cant be given the benefit of doubt.

Ferguson

Will he be able to even get a work visa given his assault conviction?

British immigration refused his entry to England last year

The BlackGaijin

And isn't that what you are doing with Zlatan, who did far less than Aurier? Should we be disgusted by your attitude regarding Zlatan's nationality and color?
Actually, I am saying they are both dicks who would be perfect on a mourinho team. I am not trying to say one is less of a dick than the other.

Tarrou

If he moved to France at a young age doesn't he have a French passport? There'd be no issue with immigration then.

JPRouve

Scout
If he moved to France at a young age doesn't he have a French passport? There'd be no issue with immigration then.
He does have a french passport but he has been handed a prison sentence for assaulting a policeman and the british immigration have the right to consider that he is a threat to public safety and therefore not allow him to enter the country, that would be a stretch though.

Last edited:

Kostur

海尔的老板
Actually, I am saying they are both dicks who would be perfect on a mourinho team. I am not trying to say one is less of a dick than the other.
One has been sentenced for an assault on police officers, the other hasn't, there's no comparison really.

Talented as he is, I'm not sure about him. Guy's got some problems with himself given all the shite such as the assault or the infamous periscope thing. Don't want to end up with another idiot who cannot act right.

Tarrou

He does have a french passport but he has been handed a prison sentence for assaulting a policeman and the british immigration have the right to consider that he is a threat to public safety and therefore not allow him to enter the country, that would a stretch though.
Thanks, makes sense. I reckon he should be alright with an EU passport.

Status
Not open for further replies.