Sergi Roberto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Doesn't that depend the game Herrera does play in, not the ones he doesn't. Maybe it is saying Pogba/Matic can cope against the lesser teams, but they might need Herrera against the teams that are actually any good. That makes him pretty important.

I also think that at times last season Ander was exhausted with the work he was putting in for the team. Now he can come in certain games and then be available when the games get really important and be more rested. Jose also has the option of being able to take Pogba/Matic out of the side and have a very able replacement for either.
Yeah I think Herrera should be vital in big games to give us an extra bit of solidity and to cover Pogba's big-game short-comings. Definitely gives us brilliant cover too. I just think Sergi Roberto could do all of the same.

Not sure what your point is. I don't have short term memory, I remember how good Herrera was last season, I remember how our players looked good initially before dropping level. That's why I'm not making any rash judgement on who is first choice and who isn't based on 1 game.
My point is that empirical evidence from a range of scientific methods can prove that is entirely untrue, and your own view is shaped by all the same biases mine is. Convincing yourself you're above that is nonsensical.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Yeah I think Herrera should be vital in big games to give us an extra bit of solidity and to cover Pogba's big-game short-comings. Definitely gives us brilliant cover too. I just think Sergi Roberto could do all of the same.
Why risk bringing someone in who might do that job, but there again might not, when he already has somebody he trusts to do the job when needed. It is just throwing money away when it is needed either as a winger or RB/LB?

Brwned

Why risk bringing someone in who might do that job, but there again might not, when he already has somebody he trusts to do the job when needed. It is just throwing money away when it is needed either as a winger or RB/LB?
I'd say the major benefit is that Sergi Robero can also play right back. In the short-term that means he'll get more games and be more satisfied, whereas I think Herrera will eventually become unsatisfied with the role. It also means we have cover in case Valencia's injury becomes a real issue. In the long-term I think he'd then prove to be a better first-choice centre mid, due to his age and quality. Matic won't be first choice forever.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
My point is that empirical evidence from a range of scientific methods can prove that is entirely untrue, and your own view is shaped by all the same biases mine is. Convincing yourself you're above that is nonsensical.
You have lost me completely with some bs link which you are posting in every post, which looks more like some virus.

Now I'm not even sure what you want to convey. Anyways good day.

Brwned

You have lost me completely with some bs link which you are posting in every post, which looks more like some virus.

Now I'm not even sure what you want to convey. Anyways good day.
They're three seperate talks on three seperate subjects directly relevant to the criticisms you proposed. The fact your first response is to ignore them only proves the point.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
They're three seperate talks on three seperate subjects directly relevant to the criticisms you proposed. The fact your first response is to ignore them only proves the point.
Proves that you are posting some bs link? Or how your opinions are validated by some scientific studies? Not sure if it sounds intellectual in your head but it looks laughable and stupud to me.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I'd say the major benefit is that Sergi Robero can also play right back. In the short-term that means he'll get more games and be more satisfied, whereas I think Herrera will eventually become unsatisfied with the role. It also means we have cover in case Valencia's injury becomes a real issue. In the long-term I think he'd then prove to be a better first-choice centre mid, due to his age and quality. Matic won't be first choice forever.
I would have thought Roberto would want to be playing all the time. Ander is happy whatever his role. If Roberto is happy with a bit part he may as well stay at Barca. Valverde has supposedly come out and said he still wants him and we have not really shown any interest.

MJJ

:lol: How about you stop posting a pseudo intellectual video and actually argue your point?

Brwned

Proves that you are posting some bs link? Or how your opinions are validated by some scientific studies? Not sure if it sounds intellectual in your head but it looks laughable and stupud to me.
That's neither what I think nor what I said. I don't think my opinions are validated by scientific studies - for the most part they're invalidated, if you'd care to take a look.

I would have thought Roberto would want to be playing all the time. Ander is happy whatever his role. If Roberto is happy with a bit part he may as well stay at Barca. Valverde has supposedly come out and said he still wants him and we have not really shown any interest.
Yeah I'm not convinced it would be a good move for Roberto. I just don't think it's that much of a stretch to suggest he's better than Herrera.

:lol: How about you stop posting a pseudo intellectual video and actually argue your point?
Very worthwhile point to make. Really contributes to the discussion.

MJJ

That's neither what I think nor what I said. I don't think my opinions are validated by scientific studies - for the most part they're invalidated, if you'd care to take a look.

Yeah I'm not convinced it would be a good move for Roberto. I just don't think it's that much of a stretch to suggest he's better than Herrera.

Very worthwhile point to make. Really contributes to the discussion.
No, you are right. This is much better.

MJJ

Yeah, feck science. What's it ever added to society? Certainly not informed debate, that's for sure. Baseless claims and agendas are where it's at.
Do you show the same video to your friends if they argue against you? Doesnt that get tedious to take out your phone and start playing the video during every argument?

And to call it science is a bit far-fetched, his theory isnt accepted as a fact. Its a theory, a very good one but not a fact. Posting a video and then claiming some kind of moral victory when the other party cant be arsed to see it is a bit weird. Just sum it up in words and post here if its that important to your point.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
so how can a player you deem 'vital' be 'expendable' at the same time? That doesn't make sense.

It's not the player who is expendable in games we should be winning, it's his position. Matic is our holding midfielder, Pogba our creative one, Herrera is our ball winner. We simply don't need a ball winner in games where we can dominate midfield with two players.

Brwned

Do you show the same video to your friends if they argue against you? Doesnt that get tedious to take out your phone and start playing the video during every argument?

And to call it science is a bit far-fetched, his theory isnt accepted as a fact. Its a theory, a very good one but not a fact. Posting a video and then claiming some kind of moral victory when the other party cant be arsed to see it is a bit weird. Just sum it up in words and post here if its that important to your point.
I don't find it tedious to present ideas to people that seemingly haven't considered them before. To me it's a useful thing to do to. I find it hard to believe people wouldn't be fascinated by how a baby's brain works, and what that tells us about how our brain works...but then I'm obviously biased. I certainly wouldn't do it all the time but in this particular case I thought it was relevant.

It wasn't important to my point. If you'd read the discussion you would have seen that my specific point on Herrera reached it's conclusion. The discussion then became about biases and memory because he made the points that a) he doesn't have short term memory, whereas I do and b) that I'm making assumptions based on limited information, whereas he isn't. I disagreed and provided evidence that suggests otherwise.

Science is defined by the approach it takes and the methods it employs to understand the world. Whether the hypothesis is valid or not doesn't have any impact on whether it was an execution of the scientific method. I do agree it's just a theory though.

so how can a player you deem 'vital' be 'expendable' at the same time? That doesn't make sense.

It's not the player who is expendable in games we should be winning, it's his position. Matic is our holding midfielder, Pogba our creative one, Herrera is our ball winner. We simply don't need a ball winner in games where we can dominate midfield with two players.
Vital in specific moments (big games), redundant in others (many games like this past weekend), therefore on the whole not that important and, when compared to someone like Sergi Roberto, not irreplacable.

Status
Not open for further replies.