Sergio Busquets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss

Melodramatic, attention seeking space-attacker
I left you with enough memories to resurrect me wi
Na, he had both at his disposal which is a unique position to judge players. Say what you will but Busquets WAS better than Yaya and still is. He just fits Barcelona more.
it depends, I just think Yaya had alot more in his locker, I can't remember what team Barca played on the last game, but that run he did to set up Messi is the type of dribbles he would produce on a regular basis

and people have short term memories if they don't remember what a warrior Toure can be in the middle of the park, just look at the Treble season, Toure is that all rounder, although I think they are both better than Masherano

(thought I'd throw that in there)

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
I find it difficult to agree that Busquets is a flat out better footballer than Yaya Touré, perhaps I'm coloured by him being a detestable prick.

I always thought Touré was the better allround footballer, more capable of driving forward with the ball and a fiercer phsyical presence in CM. Busquets is perhaps nimbler, more subtle on the ball and a better fit for Barca though. It's not like their holding mid's need to do all that much grafting, perhaps a player who spreads the play quickly and is comfortable in possession is a better option for them.

Boss

I find it difficult to agree that Busquets is a flat out better footballer than Yaya Touré, perhaps I'm coloured by him being a detestable prick.

I always thought Touré was the better allround footballer, more capable of driving forward with the ball and a fiercer phsyical presence in CM. Busquets is perhaps nimbler, more subtle on the ball and a better fit for Barca though. It's not like their holding mid's need to do all that much grafting, perhaps a player who spreads the play quickly and is comfortable in possession is a better option for them.
some of the charging runs Yaya goes on, Busquets just can't do it in my opinion, he doesn't have the strides, power, or dribbling ability

I think African footballers can be underrated at times, the Caf seemed very siurprised at the attacking ability conveyed by Toure for City, it's of his major assets

FranklyVulgar

I've got a pretty little mouth underneath all the
it depends, I just think Yaya had alot more in his locker, I can't remember what team Barca played on the last game, but that run he did to set up Messi is the type of dribbles he would produce on a regular basis

and people have short term memories if they don't remember what a warrior Toure can be in the middle of the park, just look at the Treble season, Toure is that all rounder, although I think they are both better than Masherano

(thought I'd throw that in there)
Yeah Toure could do that absolutely. Which is why i find it baffling that he doesnt play that role for City, he could be the driving force in midfield but instead floats about the top of the midfield doing not a lot of anything... Whilst the likes of De Jong kicks people and Barry runs around like a donkey tugging a cart...

Busquets can dribble though, he just doesnt have that pace. What he does have is a fantastic touch, the ability to get out of danger with skill, first time passing as good as anyones in that team (yes even iniesta, messi, xavi), positional sense and a football brain.

Take into account that he outed Yaya from the first team at the age of 20/21 and then went on and played the role exceptionally for Spain in the world cup and you have to wonder what the future holds for him.

Yaya has plenty of years left in him but at around 5 years his junior you have to say that it was probably the right decision to cash in on Yaya Toure and keep the still developing Busquets.

marjen

some of the charging runs Yaya goes on, Busquets just can't do it in my opinion, he doesn't have the strides, power, or dribbling ability

I think African footballers can be underrated at times, the Caf seemed very siurprised at the attacking ability conveyed by Toure for City, it's of his major assets
Well yeah. I still feel the constellation City uses in midfield is a bit off. De Jong/Touré would work just fine, perhaps with Silva in front of them, as Touré is a great box-to-box midfielder and IMO neither a pure DM or AM. Him and De Jong would provide enough shielding of the back four as well as willingness to contribute offensively. Barry for me is dead weight, and giving Silva his favoured position in the hole would allow Johnson and Balotelli to play at the same time as well.

Oh well, I won't complain as long as they keep to their present setup. I think their potential is bigger than Mancini realises with his slightly cautious approach though. Perhaps he is afraid of exposing his backfour, as K. Touré, Zabaleta and in particular Richards can be a bit shaky when under pressure.

Boss

Yeah Toure could do that absolutely. Which is why i find it baffling that he doesnt play that role for City, he could be the driving force in midfield but instead floats about the top of the midfield doing not a lot of anything... Whilst the likes of De Jong kicks people and Barry runs around like a donkey tugging a cart...

Busquets can dribble though, he just doesnt have that pace. What he does have is a fantastic touch, the ability to get out of danger with skill, first time passing as good as anyones in that team (yes even iniesta, messi, xavi), positional sense and a football brain.

Take into account that he outed Yaya from the first team at the age of 20/21 and then went on and played the role exceptionally for Spain in the world cup and you have to wonder what the future holds for him.

Yaya has plenty of years left in him but at around 5 years his junior you have to say that it was probably the right decision to cash in on Yaya Toure and keep the still developing Busquets.
Busquets is a good dribbler too, he's like Xavi where he uses to dribbling/shielding the ball to get out of tight spaces but he doesn't really have the pace to beat player after player

On the bold part, I do believe Busquets would become better than Toure especially if he keep developing at this rate, even now it's very close between the two

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa

Yaya was outed simply because of Guardiola's love of youth and home grown players. Not because Busquets is superior to him right now.

Plan M

Busquets is an excellent midfielder, make no mistake about it.

I think Yaya Yaya is more suited to the Premiership with his power and pace though.

Boss

Yaya was outed simply because of Guardiola's love of youth and home grown players. Not because Busquets is superior to him right now.
It's my opinion too, at the end of the day, it's pretty much either way, or who you prefer, because they are both exceptional holding midfielders

Puyol is quick off the mark and Pique has surprisingly decent pace.t.
No way. Puyol's pace is long gone and Pique is every bit as slow as Vidic. This was shown clearly during the recent international friendlies of Spain vs Portugal and Argentina. Once the midfield was by passed and they were got at, they couldn't cope with pace at all! With the protection they normally get from midfield, their lack of pace is never a hinderance to their play at the back. That is why even Busquets would be super comfortable for Barca as a CB.

You could understand the pairing of Busquets with Abidal though, Abidal is silly fast.
True.

MacMUFC

Busquets is an excellent midfielder, make no mistake about it.

I think Yaya Yaya is more suited to the Premiership with his power and pace though.
Not a patch on Djemba Djemba though.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
:lol: A story on the ever-reliable Caughtoffside suggesting we're after him for £25m.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Apparently Mascherano is keeping him out of the team a bit and Barca won't pay Biscuits on the same level as Masch.

Boss

huh? Nah? Mash got his first start over him on the weekend in a while no?

Masherano was sensational though at the weekend, he let nothing go

don't think he even got booked either, a lovely dilema for Pep if Masherano shows that sort of eagerness and form

RedThaiDevils#7

Married with Manchester United, In love with Giggs
I thought he was stunning against Le'Arse, hardly lost the ball, played lovely 1-2's with Xavi, was very confident on the ball and can actually dribble the ball too at times, maybe he dived a lot but I thought he was top quality last night and I have no doubt now why he replaced Yaya Toure.
I certainly regret posting this... Feck !

TheHorse'sMouth

Supports
Arsenal
Agree with this. Yaya Toure is a class above Busquets in every department. He was dropped simply because Busquets was competent enough to do a job which would not affect Barca's overall performance in midfield as well as being homegrown.

marjen

Busquets is the player Rooney will have to out wit if we to have any chance of beating Barca.
He's perhaps the most vulnerable one of the Barca-midfield. I think Hernandez/Valencia and their pace could be lethal for a slow back-four who leaves space behind both fullbacks.

The key will be to use the ball well when we get it, and attack with pace.

He's perhaps the most vulnerable one of the Barca-midfield. I think Hernandez/Valencia and their pace could be lethal for a slow back-four who leaves space behind both fullbacks.

The key will be to use the ball well when we get it, and attack with pace.
He is only vulnerable if employed in defence. In midfield he is a formidable holding player. If Rooney can best him we will have an outstanding chance. Last time Giggs failed miserably.

marjen

He is only vulnerable if employed in defence. In midfield he is a formidable holding player. If Rooney can best him we will have an outstanding chance. Last time Giggs failed miserably.
He's a great player, true, but out of the three in that midfield he's the one I'd target. If he isn't allowed to distribute the ball quickly and efficiently to Xavi/Iniesta, our midfield gets an easier ride.

Also, I think he's marginally more suspect to the odd passing error than the other two.

He's a great player, true, but out of the three in that midfield he's the one I'd target. If he isn't allowed to distribute the ball quickly and efficiently to Xavi/Iniesta, our midfield gets an easier ride.

Also, I think he's marginally more suspect to the odd passing error than the other two.
Fair enough.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

I think it was Xavi who said that Busquets was the best one-touch player in the world. To be honest even if he is marginally inferior to Xavi and Iniesta, he's probably still in the top 5-10 in Europe at the short passing game. Given the technical excellence of the three, it's probably best to focus on shutting off the out-balls rather than placing the emphasis on pressurising any one of the three.

FranklyVulgar

I've got a pretty little mouth underneath all the
I think it was Xavi who said that Busquets was the best one-touch player in the world. To be honest even if he is marginally inferior to Xavi and Iniesta, he's probably still in the top 5-10 in Europe at the short passing game. Given the technical excellence of the three, it's probably best to focus on shutting off the out-balls rather than placing the emphasis on pressurising any one of the three.
aye, with the one touch passing and generally top level footballing brains of all 3 central players to expect to force them into errors isn't an option.

The thing is if you pack the midfield they get it wide. Alves is such a great out that they just pull you apart. United and Madrid and anyone really know how you can beat Barcelona, you sit deep, soak it up, get a lot of bodies around the area and show great discapline to close the spaces down. But it's generally easier said than done.

marjen

We sure as hell shouldn't let Busquets, Xavi and Iniesta get time and space on the ball! I'd rather them finding it difficult to get the ball to Messi or Villa, than trying to stop Messi once he gets the ball running at the defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.