Sergio Busquets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I think it was Xavi who said that Busquets was the best one-touch player in the world. To be honest even if he is marginally inferior to Xavi and Iniesta, he's probably still in the top 5-10 in Europe at the short passing game. Given the technical excellence of the three, it's probably best to focus on shutting off the out-balls rather than placing the emphasis on pressurising any one of the three.
Spot on

Blair

I dont know if he is underrated - he's certainly rated very highly on here, and rightly so, he's awesome.

Yes he's a cnut, but many world class fotballers are.

Scrumpet

There are no words
Even considering how good a player he is, I'm not sure anyone on this board would want him as a United player if he ever became available. He is an almighty prick.

Varun

Staff
Any chance of making a bid for him since Fabregas's arrival probably pushes him out of the starting eleven?
Once their CBs are fit, he'l be starting in CM. how they plan to accommodate fabregas will be the question.

Even considering how good a player he is, I'm not sure anyone on this board would want him as a United player if he ever became available. He is an almighty prick.
debatable.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I'd be disgusted to see him in a United shirt. And Barca should be embarrassed he feels the need for those theatrics and sort it out internally.

Varun

Staff
I'd be disgusted to see him in a United shirt. And Barca should be embarrassed he feels the need for those theatrics and sort it out internally.
this. at a club like ours, he'l weed it out with time. far too good a footballer to turn down imo if we get a chance to sign him. we've had divers and playacters here too, but as a club, we discourage and weed it out with time. the spanish clubs dont.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
this. at a club like ours, he'l weed it out with time. far too good a footballer to turn down imo if we get a chance to sign him. we've had divers and playacters here too, but as a club, we discourage and weed it out with time. the spanish clubs dont.
Yes. Even our worst offenders have gradually lessened it a great deal because we discourage such behavior while the Spanish clubs don't. Personally I can't stand Busquets. I think he's one of the worst cheats in the game but I reckon he wouldn't have been had he been at United.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Looks like 343's a real possibility to fit all four in.
That means playing with no fullbacks which has been a fundamental part of their tactics, the high pressing is what keeps opposition teams pinned back, by losing that shape they'll be exposing themselves to counter attacks on the flanks.

I can't see Barca making such a big change when their current system is almost immaculate.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
That means playing with no fullbacks which has been a fundamental part of their tactics, the high pressing is what keeps opposition teams pinned back, by losing that shape they'll be exposing themselves to counter attacks on the flanks.

I can't see Barca making such a big change when their current system is almost immaculate.
It means either 1. playing Busquets as a regular 'centre back', despite him repeatedly stepping back into his normal position when playing there with Alves as a wingback or 2. with Alves at centre back, but Busquets frequently dropping back and allowing him to become a wing back. They've tried both recently. They'll still have the overlapping from Alves either way.

Messi said:
“We feel pretty comfortable with it. There are some things we still aren’t doing well, just like with the previous system, but that’s OK. It takes time and practice. We still aren’t totally used to it. Personally I’m pretty happy, because up front we have more space and we can link up better with the midfield players, and receive more passes”.
Messi talking about it as a previous system and something they need to get used to suggests it's going to be used pretty often. Pressing isn't determined by formations, I don't see why they can't still play a high pressing game...

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
It means either 1. playing Busquets as a regular 'centre back', despite him repeatedly stepping back into his normal position when playing there with Alves as a wingback or 2. with Alves at centre back, but Busquets frequently dropping back and allowing him to become a wing back. They've tried both recently. They'll still have the overlapping from Alves either way.

Messi talking about it as a previous system and something they need to get used to suggests it's going to be used pretty often. Pressing isn't determined by formations, I don't see why they can't still play a high pressing game...
I think it's just more likely that Mascherano will play emergency CB, Biscuits, Xavi, Fibreglass and Iniesta will share the midfield spots. 50 games in the season by 3 spots = 150. Spread that between the 4 of them and it's 37.5 starts each on average. Take into account injuries and add substitute appearances and there is more than enough game time for everyone.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Why do you think they've been playing 343 - recently against what will be one of their hardest games in La Liga, at the Mestalla - despite Iniesta not even being there? I'm not saying they couldn't fit them all in with their 433, they could, it just seems like they might be trying something else instead.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Why do you think they've been playing 343 - recently against what will be one of their hardest games in La Liga, at the Mestalla - despite Iniesta not even being there? I'm not saying they couldn't fit them all in with their 433, they could, it just seems like they might be trying something else instead.
Fair enough, as someone said recently, as soon as someone works out the tactical approach to beating Barca, you'll see other teams taking the same approach to some degree of success. Breaking the formula if you like, similarly to what happened around 2004 when a lot of the lower teams started adopting 4-5-1 "anti football" that pissed Wenger off and saw his invincibles hit a rocky road. Perhaps Pep is protecting himself against this and working hard on something new so they can adjust accordingly once teams start to get the measure of them.

Varun

Staff
We've got Carrick!

Should I add 'drool' or 'Houllier' here?
Saw the white text. but still, carrick, good as he is, isnt as good as busquets. that guy is quality.

Looks like 343's a real possibility to fit all four in.
Yes. It could be a possibility but that'd mean playing with 3 at the back which i hasnt worked too well for them till now. they were ridiculously exposed at the mestalla and it was just poor finishing which saved their asses. the game should have been over in the first half.

the thing is though. they'l get plenty of games to work on it considering their dominance in the league. it might be something they try but i dont really see it working long term.

Yes. Even our worst offenders have gradually lessened it a great deal because we discourage such behavior while the Spanish clubs don't. Personally I can't stand Busquets. I think he's one of the worst cheats in the game but I reckon he wouldn't have been had he been at United.
Yes. the difference in culture is far too big. if he ever moved to a club like ours, it'l change naturally. the culture here doesnt really encourage it.

the injuries had a lot to do with it. the only way they could play all of them would be if as you said, busquets played as a virtual CB dropping in midfield when they have the ball. it can be done but it'l make the transition from defense to attack even tougher. their high pressing will aid them here but its still tough to implement specially in the big games.

their dominance in the la liga will hold them in good stead here though. if any team can pull it off, its them. still see them reverting to the tried and tested in the big games and in europe though. much like us and our new system.

Cina

He's way better than any midfielder we have at the club.

TheHorse'sMouth

Supports
Arsenal
Busquets is class, very subtle on the ball and is excellent at what he does for Barca. The fact that he is a grade A cnut often tends to flavour people's perception of him (rightly so in my opinion).

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
That's very bad news for Barcelona. I know we all talk about how important the likes of Xavi and Iniesta are to their midfield, however Busquets is equally is key at ehat he does, and I don't know if anyone can replicate his exact role in the team.

mungy

I am a terrible poster, please ignore me
Fabregras is such a fecking fairy looking as though his leg was amputated...get a grip you soft twat!

Busquets is still a twat.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I did laugh at how even his own players were ignoring him and walking past knowing exactly what he is like.

Ash_G

Having just watched it I reckon the worst thing about it is that he reacted so much less dramatically to this, a real injury, then to some of the taps he's taken in the past. Note to all refs that's what a real injury is, he knows he's hurt and immediately signals, no rolls or anything.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I did laugh at how even his own players were ignoring him and walking past knowing exactly what he is like.
The funny thing is that a few of them are exactly the same...

Status
Not open for further replies.